Sciencemadness Discussion Board

LC Materials?

dumbsnake - 8-3-2007 at 15:26

Hey,

I am new to this forum. I got a biochem degree from a pretty good school and now I'm out in the "real world" but anyway... I was really hoping to get a Liquid chromatography setup going. I've been cruising the net and looking at some of the lab suppliers. I am hoping to get some reagent methanol, petroleum ether (36-60), silica gel and a column, but I have never bought chemicals online or glassware. I know it is a beginner dumb question to ask, but I couldn't really find a good answer to my question when I searched the forum. How should I go about this? And will these companies be willing to send to a residential area? Also, I have had a really hard time finding a simple column. Thanks for the help in advance.

Ozone - 8-3-2007 at 16:00

Check out ebay and labx. A decent rig can be had for ~$400. This would include a dual piston isocratic pump, a UV-Vis detector, a column (I would start with C18 ODS) and an injector. A little more cash will be needed for data acquisition, tubing, parker fittings, etc. Also--Check out state auctions!

Best of luck,

O3

Phosphor-ing - 9-3-2007 at 04:51

Untied Glass Tech has alot of good glassware. And probably has what your looking for. They sell no chemicals, though.

chemrox - 23-3-2007 at 22:38

I strongly recommend LabX. As I understand it you're looking for a basic rig. A column, silica and some solvents. I just put one like that together. I'd love to have the pumps and detectors Ozone is talking about but will wait on LabX to provide. Meanwhile I got 2 dozen 20 ml beakers to collect fractions. I have UV light too for the stuff that flouresces in it. You can get (stationary) flourescent material and mix it with your adsorbant too as you probably already know.

kclo4 - 27-8-2009 at 21:28

Quote:
Meanwhile I got 2 dozen 20 ml beakers to collect fractions.

Sorry this is old, but is there a reason why you don't just use test tubes?

[Edited on 28-8-2009 by kclo4]

Klute - 30-8-2009 at 06:57

I think the thread starter was talking of simple column chromatography, and not HPLC material.

A column could be made relatively cheaply by any glassblower. It's pretty common glassware. I would get one with a glass fritt at the bottom to avoid packing with cotton, etc. Very practical.

zed - 30-8-2009 at 13:32

http://www.labx.com/v2/labauction/auctionadsorig.cfm?aucsele...

Occasionally, very good deals appear. My local university downloads mountains of servicable, used glassware, herein.