Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Is sodium acetate hygroscopic?

Foeskes - 3-3-2018 at 17:35

So I made sodium acetate trihydrate by reacting glacial acetic acid and sodium hydroxide and boiling until a thin layer of the salt starts forming on the surface and I let it cool and scraped the crystal into paper towel and let it absorbed overnight. Next morning it was nothing more than a pool of slightly viscous sodium acetate solution.
I thought it wasn't hygroscopic.
do I have to use a desecator?

[Edited on 4-3-2018 by Foeskes]

Eddygp - 3-3-2018 at 17:48

Not only is it hygroscopic; it is deliquescent. This means it will absorb so much water vapour from the air, even at non-100% humidity, that it will dissolve in it!

Foeskes - 3-3-2018 at 18:17

I put it in desecator and pulled a slight vaccum, will it work.
Note: it's a thick glass cookie jar with a acrylic top and a silicone gasket, and my pump is a crude modified car tire inflator, I am also using silica gel as the desecator.

JJay - 3-3-2018 at 19:49

I have wondered if sodium acetate would be a good desiccant for acetic acid....

clearly_not_atara - 3-3-2018 at 20:04

Sodium acetate also binds to acetic acid, forming sodium diacetate.

XeonTheMGPony - 4-3-2018 at 05:14

Not that I have noticed I have a larg block of it sitting open to atmosphere for well over half a year, sure it absorbed some moisture but no where enough to liquefy it lol, think buddy there miss-thought and quoted for hydroxide.

some point I'll be dehydrating it to make glacial acetic acid

Foeskes - 4-3-2018 at 06:23

I was really wet and pretty much a gel maybe the water content was enough to dissolve it or something.
The pH was and still is neutral.

XeonTheMGPony - 6-3-2018 at 04:04

I purified mine and filtered it then ruff dried it, and there it has sat for all most a year open to atmosphere and not once has it gelled or been moist to touch.

I recrystallize in methanol then filter out any impurities that do not dissolve then, recrystallize and filter, then wash with ice cold methanol.

I then distill the depleted mother liquor to recover fresh batch of methanol for the next run.

Product is pure white fluffy crystals of high purity.

weilawei - 6-3-2018 at 06:06

XeonTheMGPony, I'll have to try recrystallizing from methanol. I just finished a small run making sodium acetate trihydrate from vinegar and NaOH, but the yield was pretty slight (5.04g). I think I lost a good deal of product (4/5 of it roughly) in the recrystallization due to its extreme solubility in water. I kept the mother liquor, so I'll see what else I can get out of it.