Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Iodine recovery and storage issues.

j_sum1 - 13-3-2018 at 18:19

Any suggestions?

CobaltChloride - 14-3-2018 at 01:59

I can only advise you on storage, as all the iodine I have is in prill form. I put it in a glass vial whose cap was completely covered in teflon tape. I also found out that iodine vapors can penetrate PP plastic, but not PE, so if you have a good resealable PE bag, you could use that to contain the vial as well.

[Edited on 14-3-2018 by CobaltChloride]

UC235 - 14-3-2018 at 02:59

It stores well in a FEP or PFA bottle in a freezer. I even have bromine that way for the last several years. Considering it's sold in glass with teflon liner, that should be okay. I recommend secondary bagging and putting it in a -20C freezer for the latter.

Point 2: Are you sure you've used up all the iodide? Remainder creates soluble triiodide ion. You're better off having a slight excess of oxidant.

Point 4: Maybe melt it under sulfuric acid to make a solid non-porous (dry) chunk beforehand.

Melgar - 15-3-2018 at 21:26

I've tried this myself, and had more success with some parts than others.

First step is to convert to iodide, then evaporate organic solvents. That alone is pretty annoying.

Next step is to mix with dilute hydrochloric acid, then add chlorine bleach dropwise until everything falls out and the liquid has a green tint. Wash a few times. I don't know why everyone recommends H2O2 for this. I- decomposes H2O2, and all the bubbles tend to make it so that you NEVER get a good precipitate.

Next step may be stupid on my part it does work. Make sure it's in a glass vessel that can withstand a bit of pressure. Heat it until the I2 visibly melts. I2 melts at 113˚C, and the stuff you have won't be super pure (will probably contain ICl among other things) and should melt a bit lower than that. Then just pour off the water and sublimate it or something.

edit: Maybe if you start with phosphoric acid or sulfuric acid when adding bleach, the boiling point will be raised enough that there will be no pressure to speak of? Would be worth a shot.

[Edited on 3/16/18 by Melgar]