Sciencemadness Discussion Board

The fiberglass or ceramic material used to make heating mantels - what is it?

RogueRose - 30-3-2018 at 05:56

There is another thread about someone trying to make a mantle and it's impossible to post pics in it or edit it for some reason, so I came hear with the question (I know many others have the same question as well) Bascially I am trying to figure out what is the material that seperates the nichrome (Por whatever) and the glass. I've seen some DIY's use fiberglass weave add they report that it doesn't hold up and it radiates heat and even melts in hot spots. SO something else must be used because there are professional setups that don't look like the woven fiberglass that can handle much higher temps I wonder what it is.

This is just chopped fiberglass mat
Attachment: f.jpgiberglass matt woven (450kB)
This file has been downloaded 714 times

Woven fiberglass matt - good for repairs where strength is important. It is difficult to make a semi-circular bowl with this.
Fiberglass - chopped fiber.jpg - 502kB

This is the material that is between the heating element and the outer steel shell to reduce the heat being output to the outside of the mantle
Refractory-material-heat-Insulation-fireproof-ceramic-fiber.jpg_350x350.jpg - 28kB

This is a good look for the heating mantle "fabric". The question I have is whether this is roap coiled around many times, starting at the center bottom and working up or what? Also is the NiChrome interlaced inside the rope or fabric? What is this stuff called and what is the composition?
mantle - fiber basket 5- 500ML-250W-Fiber-White-Adjustable-Temperature-Electric-Sets-_57.jpg - 160kB

mantle - fiber basket 4- 500ML-250W-Fiber-White-Adjustable-Temperature-Electric-Sets-_57.jpg - 191kB

More pics like above - same questions. Also, can this fiber be purchased like this for this purpose or is it only custome made?
mantle - fiber basket 3- 500ML-250W-Fiber-White-Adjustable-Temperature-Electric-Sets-_57.jpg - 177kB

Nice side view of a basket made of the strange weave pattern. any ideas on the name of the weave pattern?
mantle - fiber basket 2- 500ML-250W-Fiber-White-Adjustable-Temperature-Electric-Sets-_57.jpg - 118kB

Just another view point.
mantle - fiber basket - 500ML-250W-Fiber-White-Adjustable-Temperature-Electric-Sets-_57.jpg - 96kB

I'm wondering if carbon fiber could be used. It looked like Carbon fiber had a high enough heating mel;ting point to keep it from liquifying unless melting lost 1f

[Edited on 3-30-2018 by RogueRose]

Twospoons - 30-3-2018 at 16:38

Carbon fiber is electrically conductive, so you can't use it around a nichrome element.

elementcollector1 - 30-3-2018 at 19:39

Could be kaowool, asbestos, rock fibers, any number of ceramic textiles, really.

nux vomica - 31-3-2018 at 01:31

I wouldn't bother making your own elements I tried that idea and wasted time and materials just buy a replacement element of eBay and start from that , I posted a thread a while ago about using a coffee can for a homemade heating mantle.
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=67866#pid459269

yobbo II - 2-4-2018 at 13:43

Stove rope

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STOVE-ROPE-DOOR-SEAL-LOG-WOODBURN...