Sciencemadness Discussion Board

what kind of apparatus is this?

soma - 25-5-2018 at 04:16

This apparatus was used to extract lanosterol from lanolin alcohol. I'm wondering what it's called and where I could get one - pricing etc.

Thanks.

First, the saponification of the crude lanolin alcohol was performed, and then the unsaponifiable products were removed by molecular distillation. When the fixed system pressure, preheating temperature and condensing temperature were 0.1 Pa, 80 _C, 70 _C respectively, the effects of evaporating temperature, feed rate and rotor rate on the content and recovery of cholesterol were examined and the best response conditions were obtained by RSM. The evaporating temperature, feed rate and rotor rate were 183.64 _C, 3.58 ml/min and 277 rpm, respectively. Under these conditions, the content of cholesterol obtained was 17.5%.

[Edited on 25-5-2018 by soma]

CharlieA - 25-5-2018 at 16:37

Molecular distillation is vacuum distillation below the pressure of 0.01 torr. It is a process of separation, purification and concentration of natural products, complex and thermally sensitive molecules for example vitamins and polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Molecular distillation - Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_distillation

coppercone - 25-5-2018 at 16:41

there are nice youtube videos about it, they use special spinning band (i think this is the name) distillation columns),

i think the process is similar conceptually to a 'turbomolecular' pump