Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Technecium or Technetium?

Swinfi2 - 25-5-2018 at 11:08

I've always seen Tc on the periodic table and remembered Technecium since I began learning chemistry about 7-8 years ago, now I find out that "apparently" this has never been a thing. (unless your a Czech which I'm not)

Am I crazy?
Are we living in a simulation and nobody patched my brain along with everyone else's?
Which one did your guys hear first?

Velzee - 25-5-2018 at 12:33

Technetium, unless you've considered the Mandela Effect :D

phlogiston - 25-5-2018 at 14:32

I'd never heard of the Mandela effect. it was entertaining, funny and worrying to read about, thanks.

CharlieA - 25-5-2018 at 16:29

I guess it all comes down to what language you are using.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/technécium

If you stick with Tc you can't go wrong!

fusso - 25-5-2018 at 16:54

Why not both? Just hybridize and call it technectium! :O)

[Edited on 26/05/18 by fusso]

Hegi - 26-5-2018 at 03:43

Technécium in Slovakia :)

Texium - 26-5-2018 at 11:00

Definitely a case of the Mandela effect. You always assumed it was technecium because of the symbol being Tc and the fact that it is pronounced that way. But I distinctly remember it as technetium because when I used to ogle the periodic table as a youngster, without any influence to the contrary, I read it as tech-NET-i-um. It wasn't until much later that I learned how it was actually pronounced.

Melgar - 26-5-2018 at 11:23

The Mandela Effect was named that because there existed a whole bunch of people who seem to remember Nelson Mandela having died in the 1980s. Everyone seemed to have the same exact memory, except of course, that Nelson Mandela didn't die until much later. Some people seem to think that this means we're living in a parallel universe or something. I personally think they were all just confusing Nelson Mandela and Stephen Biko, who died during the 1980s under circumstances remarkably similar to how people seem to remember "Nelson Mandela" dying.

The truth is that people tend to form memories in similar ways, and the gaps in these patterns can lead to mass collective false memories.