Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Cant access SM??

fusso - 3-6-2018 at 05:38

Just a few hrs ago when I was surfing SM I got the message "Database connection error", the exact same message as the below thread:
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=70...

Anyone got the same error??

DoctorPhilosophy - 3-6-2018 at 06:01

That may be related to topic Member number decreasing drastically?

Nobody can make account last few days. It says: "Maximum registrations per day reached, please wait 24 hours."

Bert says: "I looked. Board owner is upgrading the server hardware. This has nothing to do with you at all. Relax and try again tommorow, I'm not involved, the hardware is half way across USA from me. So I don't know when they are done, but can't be too long."

ELRIC - 3-6-2018 at 06:21

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
Just a few hrs ago when I was surfing SM I got the message "Database connection error", the exact same message as the below thread:
https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=70...

Anyone got the same error??

That happened to me this morning. Didn’t last very long. I just had to be patient for a few hours

Bert - 3-6-2018 at 10:33

Quote: Originally posted by Polverone  
I think the server this site is on is loaded too heavily or something, because they seem to reboot the machine far too often. When that happens, the forum won't work though the document collections will, because it takes longer for the database to restart than for the webserver.

Back in 2006.

Just out of curiousity, when you get that message, could you check if you CAN access the sciencemadness.org library, or any of the downloadable documents on the site you might have a link to saved?

aga - 3-6-2018 at 10:44

Quote:
1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”

I can't access SM either. It's totally unavailable to me as well.

Maybe one day it will let me log in, if i'm a really lucky bunny.

No idea if anyone will ever get this message i posted on SM seeing as i cannot login at all, to post this message on SM.

Polverone - 3-6-2018 at 10:49

Hi. Yesterday the site was down a couple of times. I was running an offline upgrade to increase the disk space available for hosting the site and then making a forum database backup. It takes a while to dump the ~17 GB that the forum now occupies.

aga - 3-6-2018 at 11:23

The site was down for hardly any time at all - nice job.

The message "offline for hardware upgrade" was a really nice touch.

G-Coupled - 3-6-2018 at 11:33

Quote: Originally posted by Polverone  
Hi. Yesterday the site was down a couple of times. I was running an offline upgrade to increase the disk space available for hosting the site and then making a forum database backup. It takes a while to dump the ~17 GB that the forum now occupies.

17GB for a load of mainly text (very compressible), some usually pretty small images and no audio/video I'm aware of? That's quite surprising IMO - what's most of the space taken up by, do you know?

streety - 3-6-2018 at 11:55

From looking at the backup from 2016 the database size was almost entirely due to the attachments.

These were the main tables:
Name Rows Space
xmb_attachments 36,251 8.7 GiB
xmb_members 84,233 18.5 MiB
xmb_posts 346,433 383.2 MiB
xmb_threads 25,551 4.1 MiB
xmb_u2u ? Not included in backup for obvious reasons but probably also a reasonable size.

Polverone would be able to give more recent numbers

Polverone - 3-6-2018 at 12:51

Attachments are responsible for most of the size. The 17 GB number is actually with compression -- it's what I need to download to make new forum backup images. Uncompressed, the DB dump is 21 GB. Attachments don't compress very well.

DoctorPhilosophy - 3-6-2018 at 13:40

And related topic: U2U issues

So all 3 topics answered here!

This not solved yet: Error Maximum registrations per day reached, please wait 24 hours.

aga - 3-6-2018 at 13:56

Personally i make a point of editing any image i post to a max of 500x500 jpg.

I have/pay-for my own servers and Gb means $.

Posting hi-res photos is not just lazy, but inconsiderate, when you post stuff on a forum you joined for free.

Polverone - 3-6-2018 at 14:46

Quote: Originally posted by DoctorPhilosophy  

This not solved yet: Error Maximum registrations per day reached, please wait 24 hours.

I checked forum settings. Someone had limited registrations per day. It is now unlimited again. It might have been a temporary measure to deal with spammers that was left on longer than intended.