Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Chloroform for DCM sub.

conducter - 26-4-2007 at 19:12

Chloroform is somewhat easilier obtained for me than Dichloromethane so i was wondering if it would be okay for all general purposes to substitute it for dichloromethane?

From what ive been told they will pull basically identical, the chloroform actually ive been told is less emulsion forming.

This question is in regards to a Wacker Oxidation workup, so any help would be great. Also if Trichloroethane can be used that would be nice also.

Sauron - 26-4-2007 at 19:55

For most of us I daresay DCM is a lot easier to get than CHCl3. Here chloroform is tightly controlled due to use by meth cooks while DCM is freely obtainable (so far.) And CCl4 is banned for bulshit environmental reasons as is dichloroethane.

Organikum - 27-4-2007 at 03:47

For all practical purposes I know chloroform can substitute DCM and is often superior. Dont know about TCE though and I have my doubts.

vulture - 28-4-2007 at 03:25

Generalizing is dangerous and also in this case.

You can't substitute them for column chromatography or recrystallization purposes for example, as you need the specific characteristics of the solvent.

Chloroform is also a much better solvent than dichloromethane and it has a higher boiling point, which might cause trouble when isolating sensitive substances.