Sciencemadness Discussion Board

*cry* My P_red decomposed! *cry*

turd - 29-4-2007 at 12:33

A few years ago I stored some 100g of perfectly fine P_red in a metal can. Yesterday I dug it out just to discover that there are holes in the can and the phosphorus transformed into a sticky gooey mass. Worse: it doesnt seem work in HI/P-reductions anymore.

What happened?

not_important - 29-4-2007 at 12:43

Some of it oxidised into P2O4 (P4O10 whatever) which absorbed water to to give phosphoric acids.

Try stirring it with water , letting it settle, and decant off the water. Repeat several times, then dry the remaining red P.

turd - 29-4-2007 at 12:50

Sounds plausible, but I wonder why the HI/P-reduction failed completely?

I've never done this before - do I have to dry it under vacuum to prevent more oxidation?

garage chemist - 29-4-2007 at 14:51

Boil with NaHCO3 solution, then filter and wash with water, dry without heat, and store it airtight from now on. Red P is air-sensitive and gets sticky and wet very quick when exposed to air.

Maya - 30-4-2007 at 08:13

That doesn't make sense, why do matchbook strike covers not get sticky when exposed to air?

hashashan - 30-4-2007 at 09:19

they are coated anyway so they arn't exposed to air directly.

halogen - 30-4-2007 at 14:44

If they were coated so as to be impervious to air, than how does it have such an effect on matches as can only be supplied by contact with red P ?

hashashan - 30-4-2007 at 23:13

when you slide the match on the box you grind down the coating also

Zinc - 1-5-2007 at 02:05

But then there is no coating at that place so it should oxidise there but it doesn't.

not_important - 1-5-2007 at 03:01

Red phosphorous freshly made has some white phosphorous left mixed in with it. This is removed by boiling with aqueous alkali, a shorter boil will leave a bit of white phosphorous behind. For chemical applications this generally isn't a problem, but if left exposed to air the white phosphorous portion slowly oxidises, leading to the results that started the thread.

Boil for a longer time period and more of the white phosphorous is removed, making it stabler in air, but raises the cost.

Maya - 1-5-2007 at 07:24

Ha! You can also make incredible amounts of poisonous phosphine gas this way!

Zinc - 1-5-2007 at 09:20

I think that phosphine is pyrophoric.

Maya - 1-5-2007 at 15:29

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

give the man a cigar

Drop a small lump of white P into a NAOH soln and watch the smoke rings!!!!!

Classic, I much prefer WP to RP

turd - 4-5-2007 at 08:38

Thanks everybody. I could recover some of the P by washing with water. Lesson learned.

Quote:
Originally posted by not_important
Red phosphorous freshly made has some white phosphorous left mixed in with it.

Mine was commercial, I don't think it contained appreciable amounts of P<sub>4</sub>. I'm a fan of DIY, but making some 100g of P_red? Ugh. :S