Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Low/Medium temperature furnace

dann2 - 13-5-2007 at 16:21

Hello Folks,

Has anyone any bright ideas on making a quick and simply furnace that will heat to 400 - 450C.
I was thinking of setting up a heat gun blowing into a clay tube (clay pipe or some such).
Temperature control is not critical.

Dann2

Eclectic - 13-5-2007 at 17:37

Something like a glass annealing oven?

Electric furnace heating elements (for home heating) or clothes dryer elements in a box of whatever is used in place of Transite asbestos board nowadays... (BNZ CS85, Transite 1000, Marinite)

Maybe an old self cleaning kitchen oven? They can get up to 700-900F with no modifications during the self clean cycle. (800F=426C)

[Edited on 5-14-2007 by Eclectic]

jove - 13-5-2007 at 17:51

I am relatively new here, this being my first post. I've built a fair number of metal melting furnaces, striving for economy and ease-of-setup. The easiest way is to purchase some fire bricks from masonry supply or hardware store, depending on the size you want, you can arrange them into any suitable shape. They usually run around US$1.50 each. Mortar is not essential. A propane plumber's torch (like from the hardware store also), would easily get a small chamber up to 600C or so. If you put together a larger furnace, use a weed burner, also readily available (or multiple propane torches.)

Best,
jove

Zinc - 14-5-2007 at 03:07

Quote:
Originally posted by jove
A propane plumber's torch (like from the hardware store also), would easily get a small chamber up to 600C or so. If you put together a larger furnace, use a weed burner, also readily available (or multiple propane torches.)

Or you can make a burner.
A interesting website http://backyardmetalcasting.com/

A lot of weed burners http://www.flameengineering.com/

Some of the jet torches have an output of 1000000 BTU and 2000000 BTU.

[Edited on 14-5-2007 by Zinc]

S.C. Wack - 14-5-2007 at 04:19

With a flowerpot (with hole) supported on a ringstand, an upside down flowerpot on top of that, a pipestem clay triangle in between holding a crucible, and a Bunsen flame not impinging on the pot, you can hit temps above 800C. Some risk from the pots cracking.

[Edited on 14-5-2007 by S.C. Wack]

dann2 - 14-5-2007 at 16:01

Quote:
Originally posted by Eclectic
Something like a glass annealing oven?

Electric furnace heating elements (for home heating) or clothes dryer elements in a box of whatever is used in place of Transite asbestos board nowadays... (BNZ CS85, Transite 1000, Marinite)

Maybe an old self cleaning kitchen oven? They can get up to 700-900F with no modifications during the self clean cycle. (800F=426C)

[Edited on 5-14-2007 by Eclectic]

Thanks Eclectic,

Sounds EXACTLY like what I need.
I don't want to go above 500C or I will damage what I am doing. (Heating Ti what has Tin and Antimony salts painted onto it)

Looks like a day out at the local recycling center for me, eh.
(Some of us DO have a life you know):cool:

Cheers,
Dann2

[Edited on 15-5-2007 by dann2]