Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Heart medication recall.

MJ101 - 18-7-2018 at 02:08

Hi All,
I'm posting this here to give everyone a "heads-up" about this.

I hope it's in the correct place.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/13/health/valsartan-recall-fda-b...

This blood pressure / heart medication is being recalled in 22 different countries because of an impurity called N-nitrosodimethylamine.

If you're taking this medication, please talk to your doctor.

Stay safe,

[Edited on 18-7-2018 by MJ101]

DavidJR - 18-7-2018 at 03:04

Quite concerning that their routine QA procedures didn't catch this.

morganbw - 18-7-2018 at 10:19

If you eat or even drink water you are probably exposed to the chemical that they are worried about. I am not defending a potentially cancer-causing chemical just pointing out that it is out there/has been/and more than likely you have ingested already.
Such is the world we live in.

MJ101 - 18-7-2018 at 10:44

@morganbw: We are exposed to chemicals every day. But to be honest, I wouldn't want to have to worry about
1-methyl-4-phenyl-1,2,3,6-tetrahydropyridine being present in a shot of demerol.

That's instant Parkinsons' disease.

DavidJR - 18-7-2018 at 13:15

Quote: Originally posted by morganbw  
If you eat or even drink water you are probably exposed to the chemical that they are worried about. I am not defending a potentially cancer-causing chemical just pointing out that it is out there/has been/and more than likely you have ingested already.
Such is the world we live in.

It is a particularly potent carcinogen though. And I am doubtful that there would be a recall if there was not serious concern about the safety of the product - recalls are incredibly expensive!