Sciencemadness Discussion Board

(NOTE) Tris(bipy)ruthenium(II)chloride Synthesis

Chem Science - 2-8-2018 at 18:35

Tris(2,2′-bipyridyl)ruthenium(II)chloride Synthesis

On Wikipedia you can Find the synthesis of these compound ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tris(bipyridine)ruthenium(II)_chloride ) The reaction involves reacting Ruthenium (lll) chloride with 2,2-bipyridyl and a Reducing Agent. I did these using Formaldehyde ( Somewhere i found that it should work)I mix, 1g of Ruthenium Chloride and 2g of 2,2-Bipyridyl in water. adding Formaldehyde and heating the solution was always Green. These reaction was a fail, so i dumped on a Ruthenium waste Disposal.Some months later i wanted my ruthenium back and try adding Zinc ( To reduce Ruthenium to Metal hopefully) And the solution immediately tur a nice red-orange colour ( I WAS SUPER HAPPY )So i evaporates the excess water, and filter the precipitate, wash with acetone ( in my case it didn't dissolve very well, so i washed the product with these ) and recrystallized from methanol. Yield was 50% (better than nothing :'( ) so i guess the lesson here is, Do a good Google Research, and don't mess around with expensive chemicals. O and Zinc is an Excellent REducing agent for these reaction :)

see ya guys

[Edited on 3-8-2018 by Chem Science]

Hendrik - 2-8-2018 at 19:10

How does one amateur get his hands on ruthenium compounds? Unless you work for a fancy organometallic laboratory or are surprisingly rich, ruthenium compounds are unreachable for the amateur with a normal budget. Anyway, nice reaction! Why not give it a try with oxalic acid?

Boffis - 3-8-2018 at 05:16

At one time ruthenium chloride turned up on ebay in fairly large quantities and at very reasonable prices. I bought 7 glass ampoules of 5g each. They still carry their Johnson and Matthey labels though they look very old. These things seem to have pretty much disappeared of late but that may say more about ebay than the availability of the stuff. The reality is ruthenium and osmium production is tied to the other pgms and there is little practical use for either of them. If their price reflected the balance of demand v supply they would be cheap as chips.

Loptr - 3-8-2018 at 09:39

You can get various elements in smaller amounts here.

http://onyxmet.com/index.php?route=product/search&filter...

tris_bipy_ruthenium-iii-chloride.png - 210kB

[Edited on 3-8-2018 by Loptr]

Chem Science - 4-8-2018 at 19:00

Well i dont think ill ever repeat these reaction :( Well i wanted to kill my self when the reaction fail so that tells you how hard was for me to get some little bit.

Chem Science - 3-1-2019 at 10:42

Can i ask for these topic to be removed ? thanks :)

Texium - 4-1-2019 at 07:42

Quote: Originally posted by Chem Science  
No: the only posts that ever get entirely deleted here are spam.

Chem Science - 6-1-2019 at 08:48

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
Quote: Originally posted by Chem Science  
No: the only posts that ever get entirely deleted here are spam.

No problem xD Sorry to bother