Sciencemadness Discussion Board

XRumerTest - Why?

Vosoryx - 5-8-2018 at 21:28

Does anyone know who/what the account XRumerTest is? They come on here seemingly daily, posting a thread titled "Test, just a test" in GenChem. The body is always "Hello. And bye."
Although this has seemingly been going on for about a week, their post count remains at one. (And date of registration is the day of the post)
I assume this means they delete their account and sign up again for each post?

With the spambots i can kinda see the point. But this seems meaningless unless somebody can enlighten me as to what this is?
The only solution i can think of is that it might be a troll just trying to get a rise out of somebody. In which case... i'm just giving them what they want. Oops.

I'm just curious if anyone knows more.

j_sum1 - 5-8-2018 at 22:22

This is a spam account. It gets deleted when it is reported.
I think it is a manual check the spammer does before running a script to spam the board. You can read up on Xrumer on wikipedia.

WGTR - 6-8-2018 at 03:20

When I try to register that username I get an error, saying that the member already exists...yet it doesn't turn up in the members list. I wonder why that is? Obviously if someone registers the name and camps on the ID without posting anything, then that is effectively like banning that user.

MJ101 - 6-8-2018 at 04:14

Here's a good read about getting rid of forum spam.
https://blog.vanillaforums.com/product/9-ways-to-eliminate-s...

Bear in mind that it's different software, but many of the techniques are generic in nature.

symboom - 6-8-2018 at 11:05

Got this feeling like there is going to be a wave of spam after its posted i once saw 3 pages of spam in the todays posts
its like a robber telling the bank he is going to rob it later.

Whats funny the company that sells this software also sells the spam blocker
Like a security firm giving a robber the tool to break in
And that same firm giving the solution to stop the robber from breaking in.

[Edited on 6-8-2018 by symboom]

And now the wave is here :(

Thank you woelen

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=87167