Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Feeling like a kid in a candy store... I'm officially in biz.

evil_lurker - 25-7-2007 at 10:48

My corporate documents have arrived and I am officially in business.

Questions:

Where can I get cheap reagent bottles and hazmat shippers?

What initial 20 reagents should I get?:P

(remember no phosphorus, iodine or any of that other list I stuff)

Any special requests?

Phosphor-ing - 25-7-2007 at 11:08

Congratulations!:cool:

Lots of great ideas on that 20 reagents here

I will be happy to do business with you. What's your company/corporate name?

YT2095 - 25-7-2007 at 11:30

I guess it really all depends on what you want to do according to your business plan.

personally I`de go for the basics like Mineral acids, bases, PH indicators, and other test indicators.
that would easily do you 1`st 20, and will always come in handy at some time or another :)

Magpie - 25-7-2007 at 12:18

Nice going, evil. I know it has been a long haul for you to get to this point.

Will you have a website to advertise your wares? Will you be carrying some of the more exotic reagents such as KCN, KF, thionyl chloride, acetic anyhdride, etc?

What do you anticipate charging for hazmat fees? Is there a particular niche customer that you are targeting or does anything go, as long as it is legal, of course. :D

evil_lurker - 25-7-2007 at 13:09

Yes I will have a website. The name of my business will be disclosed as soon as the domain name gets registered (no cyber squatters!)

Yeah I will probably be offering some more exotic things like anhydrous ether, KCN, NaCN, and Acetic Anhydride. But thionyl chloride will probably be a stretch. I will have to talk to an attorney before selling exotic reagents. If they are being sold to private individuals, there will probably have to be some ID required, intended use statements filled out, and voluntary restrictions on maximun quantities per transaction and year just to avoid legal complications. They will also not be cheap. More potential liability and legal hooplah = more cost.

On the mineral acids and other liquid chemicals, I'm going to try and create a return and refill program. Qorpak makes some nice foam bottle mailers with the reagent bottles having PTFE liners and being PVC coated (they hold bromine very well!). Expensive, but complies with DOT guidelines for UN PG II and III. Basically the customer would buy the bottles and mailer up front, and the contents would be seperate (same cost as a refill). When its time to purchase more reagents, the customer can send back the empty bottles in the mailer at a cost of about $10 UPS, or a little less USPS, the bottles would be refilled, shipped back out, and automatically billed to the customer via paypal or credit card.

This has several advantages for both my business and the customer. The first is that I would not have to maintain a large stock of boxes, packaging peanuts, absorbents, and empty reagent bottles. The customer would benefit by my business being able to pass the savings on... I'm pretty sure I could swing around $10 per L on refills for most any common mineral acid on refills since I'm not out the cost of packaging.

My customer base is primarily non-intsitutionalized individuals such as hobbyists, students, and those looking to start up their own business but don't want or can't afford the red tape.

I'm going to carry complete turn-key distillation sets, and associated vaccum equipment such as hoses, aspirators, and chillers. I got some sweet locking acetal connectors with automatic shutoff coming... basically they let you hook your hoses onto the condensor and leave them there. Complete aspirator recirculation stations.

Other stuff is going to be ethanol stills, perhaps some of those RO machines, enzymes, yeasts, and keg conversion fittings. Biodiesel products such as lye, titration and testing equipment, magnesol for waterless soap removal, so on and so forth.

And lastly, electrolysis equipment such as platinized titanium electrodes for perchlorate manufacturing, power supply conversion boxes ( simply plug and play), electroless nickel plating, and other small scale plating equipment.

Oxidizers And Fuels

MadHatter - 25-7-2007 at 15:09

Will you be offering these ? Future CPSC restrictions and/or limitations will be hampering
these much sought after chemicals. Before the regs kick in full force, I'm certain that
some members would consider your assistance to be extremely valuable for
these compounds.

pantone159 - 25-7-2007 at 15:56

I'll submit a request for 1,3-propanediol. There is some new industrial fermentation plant dedicated to making this stuff.
http://news.thomasnet.com/companystory/500722

It probably isn't something you would sell in large volume, however.

The_Davster - 25-7-2007 at 16:34

Quote:
Originally posted by evil_lurker
power supply conversion boxes ( simply plug and play), .

lol I also had the idea of marketing these a while ago, if you get into having these and they have voltage/current regulation, let me know.

evil_lurker - 25-7-2007 at 16:49

Quote:
Originally posted by MadHatter
Will you be offering these ? Future CPSC restrictions and/or limitations will be hampering
these much sought after chemicals. Before the regs kick in full force, I'm certain that
some members would consider your assistance to be extremely valuable for
these compounds.

Yes and no.

Some chemicals such as KNO3, ammonium nitrate and sulfur will be sold. Other such as potassium perchlorate and powdered metals will not.

My personal opinion, not that it matters before a federal judge, is that Firefox and Skylighter have made several critial mistakes in defending the lawsuit, the biggest one was trying to challenge jurisdictional issues.

I believe that the CPSC regulations violate the US constitional amendments concerning due process and equal protection.

Nitrates are used as agricultural chemicals, along with sulfur. Imposing a sales restriction of one pound per year of these materials would violate the amendments as it would selectively restrict the distribution of these chemicals... i.e. my business can only sell 1 pound per year to those who do not have BATF licenses, but the local farm supply down the road can sell tons to anyone.

Magnesium and aluminum powders would probably not fly, because there is really no other practical use (there is but, ya know), same with chlorates and perchlorates. However, magnesium and aluminum ingots would be an exception, as there is a large market for magnesium sacrificial anodes and aluminum is a building and tool and die material.

So I'm thinking that to comply with the law, I would have to require purchases to fill out a statement of intended use. Agricultural gets unlimited, and pyro uses gets 1 pound per year, simple as that.

12AX7 - 25-7-2007 at 19:20

I'd love to have a few pounds (like 10 to 50) of lump metallurgical grade silicon (~99%). Should be <$5/lb as I recall.

Tim

chemkid - 26-7-2007 at 05:26

what sort of quanities are you selling in?

volfrahm - 26-7-2007 at 12:39

Well done, lurker! Sounds like you really know what you're doing.

In terms of chems, I'd like to see things that are harder to synth OTC; off the top of my head, NaBH4 and its cyano- and triacetoxy- derivatives would be nice. Some metals that are hard to get (lithium, palladium, ruthenium)? Some high-quality chromatography packing material would be great.

But I'm a lot more excited about the equipment possibilities, like the high-quality electrochem and distillation components you mentioned. Sparkless stirrers, blowers, vacuum pumps? I've also had trouble sourcing more exotic safety equipment (i.e. blast safety shields, glove boxes). Even for basic supplies (filter paper, cleaning, TLC plates) it would be great not to have to go through a big supplier.

It seems problematic to maintain a stock of professional (i.e. expensive) equipment. Would you be willing to special order? There are things I'd be willing to pay a commission for even above retail, that are hard to get unless you have that license.

Again, congrats, and good luck getting set up!

Blind Angel - 26-7-2007 at 14:01

Will you ship to canada, I'm looking for somebody who could sell me 10kg drum of CrO3 technical grade (90%+) I know that Anachemia have them for around 385$CAD. Don't know if it's possible for you to act as a third party.

chemrox - 26-7-2007 at 14:04

You should take the advice above about mineral acids, also get NH4OH, Fe, Cu and Mn salts and solvents of the low polarity variety since there are many polar solvents available at the hardware and paint stores. Formaldehye .. don't forget formaldehyde .. Br2 if you can get from somewhere nearby. Teflon stopcockgrease ... indicators as mentioned ... can you get dry ice near you? Get NaBH4 and you can make the STAB and cyano versions from it .. so get a lot! Might need LAH someday too .. may as well get it now before somebody at DEA starts to care...

[Edited on 26-7-2007 by chemrox]

evil_lurker - 27-7-2007 at 12:10

Well I've got an idea for a $50 dry ice maker... just need the CGA fittings.

And I'd like to carry DCM and all the neccessary equipment to make and refine diethyl ether such as sodium, benzophenone, BHT, peroxide test sticks, aluminum bottles and complete ketyl stills.

Bromine kits since shipping is a nightmare and its easy to make in large quantities...

NaBH4 would be good if I could get about 10kg pretty cheap in bulk.

Rosco Bodine - 27-7-2007 at 12:22

Quote:
And lastly, electrolysis equipment such as platinized titanium electrodes for perchlorate manufacturing,power supply conversion boxes ( simply plug and play), electroless nickel plating, and other small scale plating equipment.

Interesting .......very interesting :cool:

Any hints as to who may have originated the prototype design ?:D

I was wondering if DerAlte has been busy lately with the soldering iron :P

12AX7 - 28-7-2007 at 06:33

Hopefully not you, your design (see thread referred to) won't even work.

Rosco Bodine - 28-7-2007 at 09:54

Like you know .

Be specific , if that's not too much trouble .

You have a circuit drawing CAD ....
so how about editing / correcting what you say is wrong .
Show me what I missed ...where the logic doesn't square .

Or easier still , everything is part numbered , so just
name the path or components or logic where you see a problem .

And don't even claim you have already done that ,
not even close .

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=3885

I keep making this offer and you keep declining to be specific . If you have anything constructive to add ,
here's your engraved invitation .

[Edited on 28-7-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

anotheronebitesthedust - 28-7-2007 at 21:12

I need L-phenylacetylcarbinol

evil_lurker - 28-7-2007 at 21:55

I do too. 55 gallon drum should last me a couple weeks.

And oh what the fuck, while I'm at it throw in a 55 gallon drum of phenylacetone.

[Edited on 28-7-2007 by evil_lurker]

16MillionEyes - 29-7-2007 at 06:47

Perhaps this might be a bit personal but what part of the world are you located in?

anotheronebitesthedust - 29-7-2007 at 08:53

methylamine hydrochloride please

UnintentionalChaos - 29-7-2007 at 09:59

DMF would be nifty.

evil_lurker - 29-7-2007 at 14:38

I'm in the USA, land of government taxes, regulations, taxes and other red tape miles long and feet thick.

pantone159 - 29-7-2007 at 20:23

I like the acid/solvent refill idea, I would use that. A good selection of mineral acids and solvents would be nice. They are becoming annoying to get (many places won't sell them to individuals.) I second the NaBH4 suggestion. KI/NaI at good prices. MTBE/t-butyl methyl ether. And, still, 1,3 propanediol, which should be useful for oscillating reactions.

Your planned equipment list sounds interesting, I still haven't done any electrolysis stuff, and it would be easier to try if I didn't have to make all the equipment myself. I'd also be interested in TLC plates, spotters, and melting point capillaries. I haven't been able to find those yet.

I can't wait to see your new store!

[Edited on 29-7-2007 by pantone159]

DerAlte - 29-7-2007 at 22:17

@Rosco: you wrote :
Quote:
Any hints as to who may have originated the prototype design ?

I was wondering if DerAlte has been busy lately with the soldering iron

The last time DerAlte plied a soldering gun, apart from household chores, was probably 1978 when I designed and made a switching 10KV low current supply for an image intensifier driven off a 9v battery. (astronony was my hobby then, inter alia)…

What DerAlte has been up to is attempting to improve the yield of permanganate (see permanganate thread). Report due soon. Also, I have some rare earth stuff waiting attention once I can get this permanganate crap out of my system…

Question: is this evil_lurker for real? Dreaming? On Lsd? He certainly seems to fit the title of this forum. I assume his new company is called Madness Inc.

Sorry to off topic. Is there a topic?

Regards.

DerAlte.

EDIT by Davster ( I fixed the quote for you, you just used a } bracket on the endquote code instead of a ] )

[Edited on 30-7-2007 by The_Davster]

DerAlte - 29-7-2007 at 22:19

One of these days I'll get this quote thing straight!

Rosco Bodine - 30-7-2007 at 08:18

@DerAlte

When mention was made of a "plug and play" power supply adapter for a computer PS .... I figured somebody
probably had successfully prototyped a design like the one I proposed or some variant on it . And I supposed
there was likely a small group here that might be responsible for that little gem of technology , probably
me , and you , and Twospoons ....not to mention any names :P

For my next project I am going to do something simple
like those automatically darkening sunglasses , but they will be dynamic range enhanced with a photomultiplier stage , and have an abstract concept visualization interpreter / logic analyzer direct brain interface with supplemental computing power ....so that challenged folks like 12AX7 can better cope in a world where help is needed in shedding a little light on a subject they have difficulty processing :D It's the whole intellectual prepubescence thing . Figure a set of "terminator glasses" might work like one of those Fischer- Price
"see and say" learning tools for mental toddlers :P

12AX7 - 30-7-2007 at 13:58

Rosco,

For fuck's sake, the only difference between myself and a bona fide Electrical Engineer is a stupid piece of paper. And in three more years, that excuse won't even remain. I have designed and built things -- and can explain them in excruciating detail from very deep first principles -- that are well beyond anything you have shown the capacity to produce yourself.

So stop taking it personally and learn to accept that your circuit sucks.

Tim

Rosco Bodine - 30-7-2007 at 14:50

Quote:
Originally posted by 12AX7
Rosco,

For fuck's sake, the only difference between myself and a bona fide Electrical Engineer is a stupid piece of paper.

If engineering was the special olympics , you would be a real contender .

Quote:

And in three more years, that excuse won't even remain.

Come back and see me in three more years , if this tired old set of bones is still around . Or better yet , take the schematic to your professor , one of those folks who has EARNED that "stupid piece of paper" .....and give him the
URL for the thread to offer constructive criticism that is specific and detailed , instead of your load of shuck and jive bullshit . Make it a class project maybe , or even ask one
of the other students for help .

Quote:

I have designed and built things -- and can explain them in excruciating detail from very deep first principles -- that are well beyond anything you have shown the capacity to produce yourself.

Big woop ! Is hardware logic one of those very deep first principles or haven't you guys gotten to Boolean logic and truth tables yet ? If you see a problem , then specify the components and name the path or else STFU about it .

BTW , This is the kind of stuff I am talking about , look familiar ????

Quote:

So stop taking it personally and learn to accept that your circuit sucks.

Tim

What sucks is people not being specific , but making sweeping generalities and saying just "trust me" there
is some basis simply because they say so , even though
there is a problem "pinning the tail on the donkey" .....
and that's what this game has become . So you blow up the schematic as large as a wall if you need to do that , and you take your highlighter and label the components and paths ,
and PROVE how smart you are right here with *specific* constructive criticism . Because all your mouth otherwise isn't worth a shit . And on top of that it is highly rude and irritating .

[Edited on 30-7-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

pantone159 - 30-7-2007 at 15:50

Can we get back to talking about evil_lurker's impending business? Thanks.

evil_lurker - 30-7-2007 at 19:27

Well today I managed to aquire a corporate checking account and tried landing an account with one of the "big boys".

Let me tell you, from what I have seen, chemical distributors in the USA are A-N-A-L. Its almost like they don't want to sell you chemicals and look for any excuse NOT to sell you them. Fuckers. Guess I'm gonna have to work on my cock and bullshit stories and make up some great degree from some far away university.

It doesn't help that I'm completely new at the whole business thing... I feel like I'm a virgin again trying to get laid for the first time.

Anyways, they got this program called NACD, which stands for National Association of Chemical Distributors which promotes "Responsible Distribution". The next meeting is in Sept, and you can bet my happy ass will be there to hobnob and get some contacts. Perhaps I can find a supplier there who would be willing to work with me on some things.

anotheronebitesthedust - 30-7-2007 at 20:20

the trick to any job/trade is to make it seem like you know what you're doing --- if they ask for references to get an account just put down some taiwanese chemical company where they don't even speak english, or just make up some bogus companies, it only costs like $30 nowadays to set up websites.

i'm always hearing about conmen who don't even need to steal people's money, they actually talk people into giving it to them. Investment conmen, real estate conmen, the simplicity involved in it all is amazing. It's all about acting like you know what you're doing no matter what it is you're doing. And it's not just conmen, even my bosses at work walk around like they're infallible. It's the art of bullshitting and it's a good way to succeed in today's world.

12AX7 - 31-7-2007 at 13:50

The secret of human interaction: people will think of you what you make them think. Tone of voice, body language, confidence, etc. Want an example? Dress down, walk around looking at your shoes and when spoken to, speak in a quiet voice (to strangers, since people who know you will obviously tell the difference). Contrast this to walking around in sharp colors, or a suit, or something to that effect, standing tall, and projecting your voice and ideas confidently. And yeah, when necessary, kissing ass.

Personally, honesty has done me pretty well, for which it helps that the people I work with are similarly honest (I don't have a stereotypical boss, lucky me).

Tim

16MillionEyes - 31-7-2007 at 18:09

Well, what part of the U.S are you located? I was actually hoping you would specify that since I assumed you were in the U.S anyway.

volfrahm - 1-8-2007 at 09:46

Quote:
Well today I managed to aquire a corporate checking account and tried landing an account with one of the "big boys".

Let me tell you, from what I have seen, chemical distributors in the USA are A-N-A-L. Its almost like they don't want to sell you chemicals and look for any excuse NOT to sell you them. Fuckers. Guess I'm gonna have to work on my cock and bullshit stories and make up some great degree from some far away university.

That sucks, but I can't say I'm surprised. Sounds like a ridiculous industry the further you move up the distribution chain.

But surely you haven't exhausted all your options? I've seen so many distributors that only require that you be a business, or even just have a business address. Even if you aren't buying from the top of the chain, you should still be able to find enough merchandise to start up. You're catering to a niche market with very few competitors, and even if you aren't offering the best prices you're still going to have lots of business.

And wouldn't actually having a business, with website and infrastructure already in place, go a long way toward proving your credibility?

joeflsts - 1-8-2007 at 16:34

Incorporating isn't enough. For example if you want o open a business to sell motorcycle parts you need a store front in order to buy at wholesale. Just becoming an LLC isn't enough. There are plenty of suppliers that will sell to you and will consider you to be in the sub-market. You will pay more (probably not much less than what hobbyists are paying) until you establish yourself.

You will also be under HEAVY scrutiny by your local government. I don't mean the police - unless you start selling precursors. You will need a location to store the chemicals, insurance to protect you and those living near your place of business. If you don't you'll eventually get the living shit fined out of you and you won't be able to afford your internet connection.

Having a website isn't enough for some suppliers - they want a store front.

Joe

Joe

bio2 - 1-8-2007 at 16:53

I got an open account some years ago with VWR by making friends with their regional sales representative.

Try a face to face meeting with the local chemical distributors
general manager and explain to him how you are just starting out and need to establish supply contacts. Offer to pay up front.

This approach always worked for me when the sales rep or manager calls the head office credit dept. and says, give this guy an account.

I assume you have your resales tax license number as that is the first thing they need when selling wholesale at the 1/2% GET rate.

polymer - 8-8-2007 at 06:22

Hey, if you need web design, I can help there.

evil_lurker - 8-8-2007 at 13:48

Dude, most definatly need web design help. PM me.

S.C. Wack - 8-8-2007 at 14:47

Have you opened the chemical import can of worms yet?

evil_lurker - 8-8-2007 at 15:14

By god, if I knew anything about importation of chems, I'd tell all the suppliers and their NACD to kiss my white hairy ass.

greenyppols - 8-8-2007 at 17:52

Put me down for HNO3 and H2SO4! :D

anotheronebitesthedust - 8-8-2007 at 21:03

what's so hard about importing chems? can't you just pay a customs broker to handle it. keep all your paperwork in order and make sure you have any necessary licenses.

shadow - 21-4-2008 at 19:06

Can you get me some 2,5-Dimethoxytetrahydrofuran? Please

hectic - 22-4-2008 at 11:51

I read thru this thread last night, and noticed the posts abruptly stopped in August of last year. I only saw the thread because it was bumped by a 2,5-DMTHF request. What ever happened? Did you end up announcing a startup in another thread?

azo - 22-4-2008 at 19:31

evel lurker.

It is good to see that some one is doing it for himself i have been down this path and i no what you mean about not being helpfull. This is because they see you as competion and not as a client if they treat you like that you are proberly not getting the goods first hand i suggest you look for other suppliers. The chemical industry is big business and you will have a lot of cut throught things happening as they see to drive you out of the market that is why you need to get things first hand.
Also if you have the ability you could do what i done and manufacture your own products which would involve prepairing your own MSDS and classifying your own products
then you would have your own product with your lable and idenity and you could start marketing your own product which would not be like anyone elses .

regards azo

LSD25 - 23-4-2008 at 01:50

NINHYDRIN

THF (stabilised)

Et2O (stabilised)

Bn2O (stabilised)

CaO

Na2O

P2O5

3A, 4A & 5A Sieves

Anion & Cation exchange resins

KBr

NaBr

CaF2

Nickel Salts

Al Powder

TfOH (Not likely - the metal salts might be an option but)

CF3CO2H

CCl3CO2H

Isonicotinic amide

If you get even some of these I'll come a'knockin... The chances of getting customs clearance sorta limits the options but.

Ephoton - 28-4-2008 at 22:09

mr lurker I may have some advice on getting started. the chem industry is about having
references just like renting a house. the advice to setup fake accounts and such
is all fine for us bee's but not for you.

the best thing I can advise is to get a theme and a second trade name.
use this second trade name to buy under the theme from the big chemical guys.
this way the parent company also gets to have the references as well.
the parent company has no theme and will eventualy be a open chemical company.

ie....

lurker chemicals is parent company

lurker pottery is child trade name.

buy and get known by a few pottery chem suppliers then
go to the big boys just for the pottery stuff using the refs from the pottery suppliers.

then when going for more interesting substances use the refs from lurker pottery
but use lurker chemicals to purchase.

this way if you are checked up it is all clean and you can not get done for diversion.

it has been mine and many others experiance that getting the stuff is easy but explaining it is much harder. hence why I push for otc methods id rather make it than
explain it.

photography and electroplating are usefull themes as well.