Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Islamburg & Cults of terror

quicksilver - 12-8-2007 at 07:52

Many are aware of the "Islamburg" issue (see Google: ISLAMBURG) & it potential connection to terrorist networks within the USA. I was wondering if others here had read of possible inter-connection with Pakistaini or Arab influences within the boarders of with the US or EU.

http://www.satp.org/satporgtp/countries/pakistan/terroristou...

This issue appears to be one of the most outstanding problems of the day concerning the potential for actual or potential Islamic terror cells within the boundaries of the US. I am curious if others had more information (or opinions) concerning this phenomenon.

Is it legal or scocietal..

joeflsts - 12-8-2007 at 08:43

That really is the question. Today, terrorism is seen by many as solely a legal issue. It may very well become a societal issue.

Mark my words, in the event that terrorism reaches the level of intensity seen in Iraq and Israel in western countries there will ultimately be no such thing as an Islamic extremist.

Then - it will begin again.

Joe

Sauron - 12-8-2007 at 09:27

It is a serious mistake to treat terrorism as a crime, to be handled by police, rather than the national security apparatus, and to be prosecuted in the courts with all the deference to the rights of defendants etc. Terrorists put themselves outside the law and they need to be treated with outside the law. Two in the back of the head is a sure cure for terrorism, and you don't get any recidivists with such an approach.

quicksilver - 12-8-2007 at 09:29

Purely from a western perspective I have a tough time understanding how extremism could be rationalized to such an extent that it is no longer deemed as such. To the best of my knowledge there are terror groups that are not religious at their core (certain Palestinian Marxist groups, IIRC). However it seems that the ones that have the strongest support are religious. {Mother's being proud that their sons became suicide bombers, etc}
I also find it positively bizarre that such camps as those mentioned could be allowed to function. Your point of terror becoming a societal issue would certainly blossom if met with no resistance from the authorities.

Have we become so enraptured with political correctness that we would allow this to take place and intellectualize it's existence under freedom of expression, etc? "Islamburgs" (there are several) is the "spot on the lungs" of the body of the country; it's a cancer and needs to be addressed. The First Amendment has it's limits.

Using law enforcement to combat terror has proven to be ineffectual IF it's the sole means of intervention. The society in which terror groups operate have the best chance of addressing the problem if law enforcement and military cooperate. From an intelligence gathering perspective, it may be a means that can make some in-roads in that the military may not have the resources to get a "man on the ground" in such a scenario. But law enforcement alone would be handcuffed to do what must be done (pun intended).

[Edited on 12-8-2007 by quicksilver]

Sergei_Eisenstein - 12-8-2007 at 09:36

Quote:
Terrorists put themselves outside the law and they need to be treated with outside the law.

Lex uno ore omnes alloquitur. Acting otherwise is an invitation of returning to prehistoric times. One very big problem is how you define a terrorist.

12AX7 - 12-8-2007 at 09:40

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Two in the back of the head is a sure cure for terrorism, and you don't get any recidivists with such an approach.

You a big fan of Stalin then? Pol Pot? Etc.?

Tim

Polverone - 12-8-2007 at 10:04

No.