Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Forum FTP and attachments malfunction

Rosco Bodine - 26-11-2007 at 15:58

Something has been wrong for a couple of days .

Access is blocked to ftp://sciencemadness.org
and attached files within threads are not accessible either ,
or are unreliable in response , sometimes loading , and sometimes not .

Anybody else having any similar problems?

[Edited on 26-11-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

The_Davster - 26-11-2007 at 18:43

I got onto the ftp without issues, using IE as the ftp client, firefox has never worked for me with it.

Rosco Bodine - 26-11-2007 at 21:48

I'm using IE to connect also , and it was working just fine , but it is buggered up now and I can't connect . Ran a check disk and no joy .

Guess I'll install a dedicated ftp software and see if that cures the problem . Have definitely heard for years that the M$hit Winblows supplied ftp capability is unreliable .
Wouldn't be an huge surprise if it is simply a broken browser . I'm still using IE6 because IE7 blows chunks even worse , can't even configure out the stacked toolbars
full of BS in IE7 and it constantly tutors you with fluffy
online winblows experience crap that can't be turned off .

Wait a minute , I just checked another ftp site and got in fine , so it has to be the permissions or something wrong
here with the forum ftp . The problem isn't here with my machine .

[Edited on 26-11-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

DerAlte - 26-11-2007 at 23:06

Rosco, try FTP COMMANDER, freeware AFAIK. Works like a charm for me, plus good format.

Der Alte

WizardX - 27-11-2007 at 00:57

Fails on IE 6 & 7, including firefox for me? However, this ftp://ftp.planetmirror.com/pub/knoppix/ works fine.

Rosco Bodine - 27-11-2007 at 06:38

It *is* the forum ftp that is messed up or else a permissions problem / ip block ....so what's up ?

Rosco Bodine - 27-11-2007 at 18:05

Hmmm.....the problem seems to be resolved , as I
just checked and now the ftp access is okay again .

The_Davster - 27-11-2007 at 18:30

How odd, as my connection to the site(not ftp, just main www.sciencemadness.org site) has been getting refused the last hour or so.

Rosco Bodine - 29-11-2007 at 09:04

So , whatever it is that was occurring is playing hop scotch
with refusals of incoming connections , or perhaps this
is a function of the number of allowed connections being
felt , when too many other connections are already present ? Maybe the refused access is a bandwith limitation protocol associated with number of connections ,
but instead of posting a message like "too many already existing connections" or perhaps "too many pipelined connections from the same IP" :P (which would require yet another connection to announce the error ) , the ftp
server simply hangs up on the crank caller . I suggest
a simple wav file audio announce having the sound of a medium duration fart , followed by a voice message saying
"hey , can't connect ?" ( sound of muted laughter ) "Would you believe I feel your pain ?" ( more sounds of muted laughter and then silence ) :P

Phosphor-ing - 29-11-2007 at 09:20

opps.

[Edited on 1-12-2007 by Phosphor-ing]

Rosco Bodine - 29-11-2007 at 09:53

You didn't login .