Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Cobalt Oxide Anodes

Pages:  1    3  4

jpsmith123 - 2-12-2007 at 20:31

As per Xenoid's suggestion...

And I'll open the discussion with this:

The electrodeposition of cobalt oxide doesn't seem to be working very well, for both Dann2 and for me. If my last attempt fails, I think I'm going to give up on this method altogether and try something else.

The "something else" I'd like to try first is something similar to the following procedure specified in one of Beer's patents (basically with the ruthenium oxide replaced with cobalt oxide).

"Niobium was degreased and subsequently provided with an oxide coating of a thickness of at least 1 micron. This can be effected either electrolytically or thermally.

Subsequently a paste was prepared of:

10 cc. ethanol
1 g. ruthenium oxide
4 g. titanium oxide

This mixture was intimately admixed, heated, sintered, comminuted, and again mixed with 10 cc. ethanol. The
resulting paste was applied to the oxidized niobium in a thin layer, and subsequently heated at a temperature of
450-700" C. This treatment was repeated until at least 10 g. of the desired mixture per m^2 was present on the
surface. A niobium plate thus treated is excellently suitable for the electrolysis of electrolytes."

Rosco Bodine - 2-12-2007 at 21:04

Circling back five months into the PbO2 thread seeking convergence huh ? :P Long live the marathon blog :D

The cobalt spinel portion of the "ceramic bronze" mixture will still be what is forming the boundary layer , the conductive interface with the titanium substrate . The TiO2 will simply function as a dopable thixotropic thickener for the cobalt .

One of the earliest Co related patents US4115239 that I looked at used something similar as a build coating , but IIRC the interface on the Ti was still a direct application of cobalt . See example 2 .

previous attachment:
US4115239 Baked Co(NO3)2 Direct Coated Titanium anode.pdf (65.57 KiB)
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?action=att...

Many of the Dow patents related to the spinel directly
formed on the Ti as the interface formed from baking .
It can be used on top of DTO , and can possibly be used underneath it as well , but that is not established yet
AFAIK .

Xenoid - 2-12-2007 at 21:15

Thanks jp - see the "more on PbO electrodes" thread for the initial discussion of cobalt oxide anodes.

Here's an image of my simple 200ml chlorate cell running with the single cobalt oxide spinel coat over Ti anode. After 7 hours it is still stable, it's running in constant current mode and the voltage topped out at 4.0 Volts after a couple of hours. The black slime around the top looks worse than it really is, it's spread out by the bubbles and the meniscus. I wish I'd taken a photo of the anode before putting it in the cell, but too late now, I'm not going to touch it...:D

Edit: That SS canister in the background is completely separate and is not wired to the cathode of the chlorate cell, it just looks like it is because of the camera angle!

Regards, Xenoid

[Edited on 2-12-2007 by Xenoid]

Cobalt.jpg - 41kB

dann2 - 2-12-2007 at 21:29

Howdy Folks,

Good idea.
Wonder what Janger would make of the new thread!

Good and bad news.
My Cobalt Oxide (plated) on DTO'ed Ti has made Perchlorate. :cool: I got a purple color with Methylene blue test.
Since DTO does not seem to be capable of making Chlorate it is surly the Co Oxide.
The bad news is that all the Co Oxide has stripped off. It lasted a few hours. No good, it was only a thin coat but a thicker (8 hours plating) would not last much longer.
The DTO is still soldiering on.

The more you think about the baking (as opposed to plating) the simpler you reasize it is. Once you have an oven (a shambolic one like I have is sufficient) your in business.

The attached file is from Kirk Othmer, may be of some use.

Dann2

Attachment: cobalt.pdf (162kB)
This file has been downloaded 2709 times

I give up on the electrodeposition idea.

jpsmith123 - 3-12-2007 at 05:56

Well let's see, three of us tried it...to no avail. I tried putting it over graphite, platinum, TiH2, TiO3 and Co, and it readily came off, every time.

So I don't know if patent #3399966 is just total BS, or perhaps the inventors deliberately left out some critically important detail; regardless, I can't see wasting any more time on trying to electrodeposit the stuff.

One last, related idea, which I may yet try, is to electrodeposit a layer of cobalt over Ti, and then try to convert it to Co3O4 by heating it in air with a heat gun.

(This is as per the paper I uploaded a while back regarding the Co3O4 field emission study where the authors stated that, after heating cobalt foil, the surface oxidized and the oxidized layer "remained tightly connected with the Co substrate").

@Dann2: It's good to know that it is capable of making perchlorate. Maybe baking it on will turn out to be the answer. I'd like to see you or Xenoid or someone with access to some kind of furnace mix up a slurry of oxides or at least add some TiO2 powder to the Co Nitrate or Acetate solution, and then paint and bake.

The Dow Patents

Rosco Bodine - 3-12-2007 at 08:30

What I have gotten as the gist of the Dow patents is that
cobalt spinel has the similar and perhaps even better solvent property for other oxides , as does Tin Oxide ,
but additionally forms distinct bimetal or polymetal substituted spinels which are distinct molecular compounds
arising from the solid solutions . These substituted or expanded spinels also have solvent and doping properties ,
inherited from the cobalt spinel on which they are based .

Further , in regards to those solid solutions where a distinct molecular substituted spinel does not form , the cobalt spinel functions as a dopant , in much the same way as antimony dopes tin oxide , so does cobalt spinel dope tin oxide , only in that combination , both the cobalt spinel and the tin oxide have solvent properties towards each other . The solvent effect of the cobalt spinel is probably higher than the tin oxide , so the easy solid solution between the two is likelier than is the use of antimony with tin oxide . In fact in a competition for the solubility as a dopant of tin oxide , there is some indication that cobalt spinel may be superior to antimony . Cobalt spinel is something of an economical
substitute in many respects for Ruthenium .

See US4369105 attached

Charts show a nearly flat conductivity response across a fairly wide baking temperature range for the doping of a
plain tin oxide interface layer , which picks up its doping from
a subsequently applied and baked layer of cobalt spinel .

However , if the interface layer of tin oxide is doped with antimony content during the initial baking , and the antimony
doped tin oxide is then overcoated with a baked cobalt spinel , the conductivity fluctuates with the baking temperature range , some indication that the cobalt spinel
is trying to swap places with the antimony in the tin oxide
later or otherwise modify the composition of that existing interface layer . So if an antimony dopant is to be used with
the tin oxide for purely physical reasons , a much reduced amount of it is needed in the presence of cobalt spinel .
And not only could the cobalt spinel be applied as a subsequent coating over the tin oxide layer , but it would seem likely it could be mixed with the tin oxide as an intimate dopant from the outset .

With regards to the formation of ceramic bronzes as a
filler for the cobalt spinel mixtures , these bronzes may
be included as " modifier oxides " whose precursors are
blended with the cobalt nitrate so they form in situ .
Zirconium nitrate was the "filler" oxide precursor found to work best , but others may be used . Bismuth would seem to be a good modifier oxide to include in the final coatings as a small percentage , for the benefit of its catalytic effect in perchlorate production .

Related patents are
US4061549 US4428805 US4366042 US4368110

[Edited on 3-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: US4369105 Substituted_cobalt_oxide_spinels on Tin Oxide coated Titanium Substrate.pdf (157kB)
This file has been downloaded 874 times

Xenoid - 3-12-2007 at 09:20

Well, the anode has made it through the night, its now been running for 19 hours. The voltage has risen again slightly to 4.1 volts however. Its a bit hard to know if this is an accellerating trend or a levelling (plateauing(sp?) out) hopefully the latter. It took a longer time to get from 4.0 to 4.1 volts than the other incremental shifts. Not counting the actual etching and baking times, this anode probably required about 5 mins. of my time to make.

I wonder if having pure Co(NO3)2 is any particular advantage, since just about any element seems to be able to substitute in that spinel structure. I see Ca is listed for the "M" position. Maybe having cobalt nitrate contaminated with CaSO4 is an advantage! Although I recall from the MnO2 coating exercise, SO4-- is an undesirable addition.

BTW what is the longest time any of you have got a Ti anode to run.

Regards, Xenoid

jpsmith123 - 3-12-2007 at 09:52

I'm glad to hear that it's still running.

If you make another, I'd like to suggest adding some TiO2 to the solution before painting it on the titanium (see patent #4222842, example #2; 1g Co(NO3)2, 1cc H2O, and 1cc isopropyl alcohol + TiO2 in suspension).

My longest running anode ran for about two hours until I stopped and wiped it...and that's when the coating came off like slime. It actually didn't passivate.

Rosco Bodine - 3-12-2007 at 10:25

IIRC the sulfate was a peculiar contaminant antagonist with regards to beta MnO2 formation . I'm not sure it
has the same deleterious effect in other coatings .
Sulfamate salts have not been reported test results
but they have been mentioned as possibly useful .

I have been dubious about any of the cold processes
alone as being sufficient for a durable interface with
Ti . I have generally regarded the baking schemes as probably unavoidable to develop the solid solutions
as a vitreous layer even for those materials which may be deposited in the cold . Heating is required for the reactions involved to form these coating materials which
are a sort of "fired glaze" process similar to the production
of enamelware , the glaze in this case being electrically conductive to the metal substrate below .

I still think these coatings could be developed over a burner , especially on the larger diameter solid rods ,
held horizontally over the burner and rotated for even heating . sheet Lead and sheet Zinc strips wrapped around the rod and twist tied snugly with wire could be used as temperature markers by observing their melting points . A particular setting for the gas flow could be found where the heating is right in the range where it is needed .

dann2 - 3-12-2007 at 10:29

Hello,

About the small increase in anode voltage. It may be just an accumulation of bubbles. Try taking the anode out, wipeing the bubbles off and see if V drops again. I noticed this with the DTO on Ti strips I was testing.

Regarding how long I have got an anode to run I cannot answer. The DTO'ed Ti has been going now for about 70 hours. It's not really an anode as such.

Going back to what kick started myself with Ti substrate LD anodes.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1425&a...
This guy has been running them for a considerable time.
There is a discription of the anode way up the 'more on PbO2 anode' thread.

Dann2

Rosco Bodine - 3-12-2007 at 11:21

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenoid

I wonder if having pure Co(NO3)2 is any particular advantage, since just about any element seems to be able to substitute in that spinel structure. I see Ca is listed for the "M" position. Maybe having cobalt nitrate contaminated with CaSO4 is an advantage! Although I recall from the MnO2 coating exercise, SO4-- is an undesirable addition.

Regards, Xenoid

Thinking more about this , the sulfates would probably be a bad thing with the cobalt spinels , simply because of their elevated decomposition temperature being above what is healthy for spinels .

This is probably why the nitrates are favored precursors and really this might apply for the tin oxide precursor as well if it is applied mixed with a cobalt spinel . Something other than a chloride , something which fully decomposes at a lower temperature would possibly be better .

Very possibly cobalt spinel doped SnO2
could be as good a dopant for SnO2 as fluoride . It would probably be highly colored though as opposed to glass clear .
One advantage of a highly colored coating is you can see where it is providing good coverage by the tint .

jpsmith123 - 3-12-2007 at 12:12

So Dann2 you're done experimenting with cobalt? You're not going to try any kind of baked on coating?

(BTW how do you know Alembic's LD anodes are not having problems like everyone else's?)

[Edited on by jpsmith123]

Xenoid - 3-12-2007 at 14:49

Hmmm.. over 24 hours now, the voltage is 4.2 volts. When I examined the anode (about 10 hours ago, there was a small lenticular area which was bare. This has now doubled in size. The important thing about this however is that it "grades" out at the edges and the coating is not lifting off in flakes. It looks like it was an especially thin area and it is just "wearing away", it even looks a bit like a brush stroke, where it went on too thinly.... he says hopefully!

I think my next move will be to try and purify the cobalt nitrate, at least then I'll be working from a "known" point. I'm wondering if the organic salts of cobalt would work as well as the nitrate, eg cobalt acetate, tartarate, oxalate, citrate. They would be very easy to prepare pure from "household" chemicals and cobalt carbonate.

I would also like to compare different concentrations of cobalt nitrate for coating, and the difference, 1, 2, 3 etc coats makes. For example there is probably a huge difference in reliability going from just one coat to two and remember the anode I have produced only has one coat!

Also the hydriding should be checked out, to see if this improves the bonding.

There are heaps of possibilities to try and it is a huge undertaking, it would be best to get the "basics" out of the way before trying to modify the cobalt spinel in any way! Well thats my feeling, anyway!

Regards, Xenoid

Rosco Bodine - 3-12-2007 at 15:00

Of those alternate cobalt salts I would say the oxalate
would be most interesting and perhaps even having a bit
of free oxalic acid maybe a couple of percent , all finely powdered , mixed with the cobalt nitrate as a thickener .

I still think the wet sanding of a freshly etched or hydrided
rod with some abrasive mixed in with the cobalt salt(s) and some glycerin or glycol might produce a sort of
Cobaltating effect similar to chromating . A bit of phosphoric acid , for example Ospho might be an additive to this Cobalto-Zud concoction .

jpsmith123 - 3-12-2007 at 15:56

If you can heat to about 300 degrees C, the acetate should work nicely, as it is highly soluble in water and ethanol (exactly how soluble I don't know, as I can't find and published data).

Rosco Bodine - 3-12-2007 at 16:14

I was thinking that the oxalic acid would by etching bring up some titanium oxide bronzing as a modifying oxide ,
somewhat emulating that Beer patent mixture . The titanium oxalate would decompose to the oxide during baking and simulataneously be doped by the cobalt .
Might have to bake a bit on the hot side to insure
complete decomposition of the oxalate , or maybe just bake it five minutes longer .

dann2 - 3-12-2007 at 20:18

Hello,

Quote:
Originally posted by jpsmith123
So Dann2 you're done experimenting with cobalt? You're not going to try any kind of baked on coating?

(BTW how do you know Alembic's LD anodes are not having problems like everyone else's?)

From page 8 (for me anyways) of 'More on PbO2 anodes' thread:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2465&a...
__Quote__________________________________________-
That specific anode was only used for two batches of perchlorate, starting from NaClO3, which means that is has seen about 200 hours of use at a current of 35-40 A. It still looks pretty much exactly the same. I have made other anodes (using the same process) that I've used in chlorate cells for hundreds of hours with no visible signs of wear.

Since the guy does not write patents I am inclined to believe him. :D He is a guy who I communicated with many moons ago about LD anode. He had (the only person I ever knew) some homemade Graphite Substrate LD Anodes that were long lasting and were a success. Interesting to note that even he moved from Graphite to Ti.

I do intend to hopefully do some Cobalt baking. Have no nitrate and may take a trip to ceramics store to purchase some Co Carbontat or make some from Co SO4 + CaCl2.

Right now I am still bogged down in DTO stuff + I want to wheel out the LD tank.

Regarding getting Perchlorate with Co Oxide I am not now 100% sure if it was the Co Oxide or DTO that has made the Perchlorate. I have been running the same cell with a DTO Anode in it (just testing the DTO anode) and the Perchlorate concentration is rising (as seen by a drop of Methylene blue.
DTO does not appear to make Chlorate (or at least it is very bad at it, as a chlorate cell (300ml) that I have ran for 50 hours at 0.5amps will not give a ppt of K Chlorate when some K Chloride is added). Yet it appears to make Perchlorate. It may be making very little Perchlorate though as the Methylene blue test is very sensetive.

Dann2

combining technologies

Rosco Bodine - 4-12-2007 at 00:59

Quote:
Well let's see, three of us tried it...to no avail. I tried putting it over graphite, platinum, TiH2, TiO3 and Co, and it readily came off, every time.

So I don't know if patent #3399966 is just total BS, or perhaps the inventors deliberately left out some critically important detail; regardless, I can't see wasting any more time on trying to electrodeposit the stuff.

One last, related idea, which I may yet try, is to electrodeposit a layer of cobalt over Ti, and then try to convert it to Co3O4 by heating it in air with a heat gun.

There's a variation on the theme which hasn't been tried
and very well may work .

I refer to US6228241 attached

Suppose we don't hydride , but simply etch with oxalic acid
and rinse off with distilled water . A thin but pore filled
passivation layer begins to form on the Ti immediately . Now suppose that this sample of Ti is then made the cathode for a brief time in the cobalt nitrate electrolyte . Where is the first place that atoms of cobalt metal are going to deposit but at the most conducting spots , which just happens to be at the bottom of those pores in the TiO2 layer that is growing .

The little deposits of Co metal will immediately stop the further growth of that virgin TiO2 or actually Ti mixed oxide
which resides at the bottom of those pores . And this doesn't take very long either , a few seconds to a few minutes , no longer , creates those cobalt metal plated
pore bottoms .

Now the current is reversed , and the process of US3399966
is carried out . When the current is reversed the mesa of TiO2 begins to grow in thickness under the anodic oxidation ,
but it is also behaving as a reverse biased diode whose
valve metal behavior makes it conduct poorly from the start
and even more poorly as time passes and its thickness increases . But happily nearby down at the bottom of pores
is some freshly deposited cobalt metal that is conducting just fine in the anodic direction , and filling up that pore
with a growing column of electrodeposited cobalt suboxide . The rate at which that column of cobalt suboxide grows in height is faster than the rate at which the mesa of TiO2 is growing , so in time the column of cobalt suboxide reaches the surface and then spreads across the mesa blanketing the whole surface into which it is keyed with all those filled pores .

At this point we remove the sample of Ti , and let it soak
in a heated bath of saturated Co nitrate for awhile , and then bake it . This strategy should produce a very adherent and well doped coating . The tenacious habit of the TiO2 itself as well as the porosity of the TiO2 layer is exploited , as well as the electrical properties . This might work very well since it exploits the natural behavior and properties of the materials .

You could come back over the top of this with a vitreous
SnO2 and Co3O4 combination . And it might be good to go
at that point as a finished anode . Looks good on paper
and in theory to me . And I haven't seen such a process
described anywhere .

BTW , Dow and BASF are the two largest chemical technology
corporations on planet earth . And that technology involving
the pores and mesas is compliments of NASA , who occasionally think outside the box . Putting these three technologies together makes sense . No guarantee that
Ti will follow the model of Al , but they are both valve metals ,
and they both have porous oxide coatings , so there's a very good chance it will work . :D

[Edited on 4-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: US6228241 Electrically_conductive_porous_anodized_aluminu.pdf (87kB)
This file has been downloaded 793 times

jpsmith123 - 4-12-2007 at 06:00

Dann2 I went back and read that part of the thread, and you're right, he does sound legitimate.

However, making a PbO2 anode using his process is not something I would ever want to attempt.

I am still hoping that cobalt oxide can be used in a very thin coating...just like Beer's MMO but with the noble metal oxide replaced by cobalt oxide.

I bought a cheapo heat gun yesterday so I will soon be able to experiment with small-scale baked on coatings myself.

dann2 - 4-12-2007 at 10:36

Hello,

Making the LD Anode on Ti with DTO undercoat is probable more simple that this thread would have you believe. I have done a hugh amount of tooing and frowing mainly because I was trying to avoid using SnCl4:5H2O (out of a jar) as it is not available to me ( not OTC either), but I managed to get 500grams.
Once the DOT'ing is done it's (hopefully) just plain old Lead Nitrate plating bath(which is a PITA I will admit).
If Cobalt turnes out to be good at making Perchlorate(and Chlorate), fairly long lasting and farily easy to make than LD will be confined to the 'good old days'.

Dann2

Rosco Bodine - 4-12-2007 at 11:26

All of the indications are that the Co based spinels and solid solution oxides should be more forgiving mixtures ,
developing at lower temperatures , and having greater
chemical resistance , operating at better electrical efficiency , and cheaper to make than the next closest
thing which is precious metal oxide doping schemes .

Another thing that might be worth looking at with regards to lead free solders is that other alloys than the 95/5
might be workable with Co , as Sb isn't even really needed
and the other alloying metals may function simply as modifying oxides incorporable into an expanded cobalt spinel , serving as a dopant for the SnO2 on baking ,
perhaps to even better effect than would the Sb serve
in the case where an ATO was derived from 95/5 .

This could also get the difficultly soluble Sb completely out of the picture as any issue , along with its tendency to phase separation in the baked SnO2 coatings .

But the real advantage which may be realized is that the
baked coatings may function as a finished working anode , requiring no PbO2 at all , and actually working at better efficiency than a PbO2 anode . So the cobalt schemes are
very promising in that regards , and not just as a substrate preparation for PbO2 , but as a finished working anode .
The PbO2 could be reserved as a sort of plan B , which could
then be added if the Co coatings just don't hold up without it
as an overcoating .

Xenoid - 4-12-2007 at 14:47

Well guys! The cobalt oxide spinel coated "5 minute" anode has been running for 48 hours (2 days) now, at 1 Amp (~50mA/cm^2) the voltage has risen slightly again, it's now 4.3 Volts. This is not surprising because it is starting to look the worse for wear!

Edit: Actually, now that nearly half the active coating has worn away, I guess it's running at closer to 100mA/cm^2.

I removed the anode, rinsed it, dried it with warm air and took the images seen below showing both sides. What is left of the cobalt oxide is still well bonded, but smudges to produce an incredibly black smudge (like carbon black), this is sort of like a reactive top layer.

When I put it back in the cell, quite vigorous bubbles began to issue from the surface with no connections made - weird, this is strange stuff, highly catalytic perhaps, able to split water into H2 and O2 maybe, with unlimited energy for all, but I digress...!

When connected up, and I set the current for 1 Amp the voltage has gone back up to 4.2 V and the cell is continuing as before, although there seem to be more bubbles coming from the anode!

I am finding this is really interesting!

I've sort of purified some cobalt nitrate, and I intend to do a triple coat with a concentrated solution, to see how it goes!

Edit: I forgot to point out, that the electrolyte level is only a bit above half way, its below the area where the smudge marks are, and can just be made out as a faint line with a colour change.

Regards, Xenoid

[Edited on 4-12-2007 by Xenoid]

Co-Anode.jpg - 36kB

Rosco Bodine - 4-12-2007 at 15:55

Looks like a good early "proof of concept" experimental result . Anything which doesn't passivate immediately
or within a few minutes is moving in the right direction :P

Wonder what alternating coats of Co(NO3)2 and a low temp decomposing SnO2 precursor might do , with the Co being the first coat and the last , making a sort of sandwich . Maybe ammonium stannate would do the trick
or any syrupy hydrosol form of the Sn . There is a tin nitrate and this could work also , mixed with the Co nitrate .

Tempil heat indicators might be very handy for the
heat curing process .

http://www.tempil.com/product_display.asp?form.findapp=206

http://www.tempil.com/company.htm

Attachment: Tempilaq.pdf (516kB)
This file has been downloaded 1143 times

Xenoid - 4-12-2007 at 16:39

I just went to have a look at my semi-purified Co nitrate solution, which I had left in the fridge, only to find that it has crystallised....:D
I've poured off most of the supernatant liquid and I will add a small quantity (a few mls) of water to these crystals to make up my next coating solution. Only a small amount of water is needed because they just about dissolve in their own "water of crystallisation".
The image below shows about 20g of crystals of cobalt nitrate hexahydrate sitting in the bottom of a 100ml beaker, which is lying on its side.
To get this stuff to recrystallise requires having just the "right" concentration level before cooling in a fridge.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Co nitrate solution is kind of interesting in that it's thermochromic (is that a word). When it's boiling it's a intense purple, beetroot juice, K-permanganate colour but when it's cooled down to 0 oC or -10 oC it's more of a reddish colour like strawberry syrup. Don't leave it lying around where there are little kids, they might drink it!

Regards, Xenoid

CoNitrate.jpg - 40kB

jpsmith123 - 4-12-2007 at 17:08

Mmmm...doesn't that look tasty! And to make it even better, I suggest adding some powdered sugar, er, make that TiO2.

Anyway, I'll be making up a concentrated Co Acetate solution tomorrow...hopefully my "Chicago Electric" heat gun is up to the job of thermally decomposing it.

Xenoid - 4-12-2007 at 20:35

Quote:
If you make another, I'd like to suggest adding some TiO2 to the solution before painting it on the titanium (see patent #4222842, example #2; 1g Co(NO3)2, 1cc H2O, and 1cc isopropyl alcohol + TiO2 in suspension).

@ jpsmith123 - Take another careful look at that patent and you will note that it is NOT TiO2 that is being used, but TiO ...!!! Specifically TiOx where x = .45 to 1.2 and preferably where x = 0.9 to 1.2.

I will try and find out how easy or not it is to make TiO.

Edit: Well, you can buy it from a few places, and hereis a description of titanium(II) oxide:
http://www.webelements.com/webelements/compounds/text/Ti/O1T...

Edit: Well it looks like the boys in the anode manufacturing department are out of luck!
I've searched high and low for information on making this and all I have managed to find was a snippet in an abstract saying to effect, fuse Ti metal with titanium dioxide in an argon arc furnace.

Ti + TiO2 ---> 2TiO

Given TiO has a melting point of 1750 oC. this would seem a fairly brutal operation to carry out in the kitchen. I guess it will have to be purchased!

Regards, Xenoid

jpsmith123 - 5-12-2007 at 02:38

Yeah, I know that particular patent specifically says "TiOx where x = .45 to 1.2 and preferably where x = 0.9 to 1.2".

And if you look at patent #3399966, for example, you might get the idea that the cobalt compound involved simply HAS TO BE "CoOm.nH2O wherein m is from 1.4 to 1.7 and n is from 0.1 to 1".

At this point however, after having looked at so many patents, I say, in general, *bullshit*. IOW, I'm very skeptical of patents, and I think it's easy to let the trees block your view of the forest. Frankly I think that much of the detail in a lot of these patents has to do more with trying to distinguish themselves from prior art than with some new indispensible technical innovation.

Seriously, if I hadn't read so many other, related patents (primarily those of Beer), I would probably get hung up on that detail, but as it is I don't think it's much of a concern for our purposes.

Xenoid - 5-12-2007 at 10:43

Well, I've pulled the plug on the cobalt oxide anode after almost 3 days. There wasn't much point in continuing to run it (other than making chlorate..:D ). It is obvious that a single coat is not thick enough to form a practical anode. I also wanted to leave a bit of the coat in tact so I could have a good look at it.

Just to confirm, however, it is well bonded to the Ti. It's actually a bit difficult to describe what it is like, perhaps a bit like a sooty or smoke coating on metal. It's not really hard, but you can't rub it off either.... anyway, more later.

Regards, Xenoid

Rosco Bodine - 5-12-2007 at 12:32

There's new ideas worth exploring with experiments here . And if nothing else it may be prophylactic regarding
the experimenters risk of potential antimony and/or lead poisoning :P Heck I was about to suggest the possibility
for the mixed valency precursor with stannic oxide , having
cobalt nitrate as the bivalent metal component . Or perhaps the possible complexation of cobalt nitrate in an ammonium stannate mixture , or perhaps a cobalt nitrate
mixture with stannic oxalate . Even looked a bit at the
possibilty of a stannic nitrate derived mixture in combination with cobalt nitrate . There's plenty of novel experiments which could be done along new lines ,
rather than just trying to copy any one process which may be incomplete in its method or disclosure .

Looks like what you had going there is very promising .
Nothing to be discouraging there for the one coat .
Try three :D Got tin?:P maybe try a sandwich coating .

chloric1 - 5-12-2007 at 14:12

Mmmmmm sandwich...turkey & bacon(gargling and drooling)

Seriously, Rosco is right, tin with cobalt would be quite nice. I thought it was mentioned somewhere about vanadium with cobalt. Vanadium is an efficient oxidation catalyst. By the way how would one know if a spinel was going to be conductive or not?

Rosco Bodine - 5-12-2007 at 14:58

Something I recall from a process for manufacturing
electrolytic capacitors , where manganese nitrate was
being used as a baked coating precursor for manganese oxide , was that 10% of the carbonate could be added
to the molten nitrate hydrate as a thixotropic thickener
which would also decompose to the oxide on baking .

This may be operative here as an easy method of thickening the cobalt nitrate coating . Some of the
hyrated oxide formed separately and mixed back in with
the molten nitrate might also serve to thicken the nitrate
to help get a faster thickness build with the baked coatings .

[Edited on 5-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

chloric1 - 5-12-2007 at 16:00

Well...many of the metallic salts have covalent character and oxides if don't dissolve into the solutions surely for intricate oxycompounds to polymerize and thickening the mix.

I like it! Ten or fifteen percent stannic chloride added would help this to as it would yield oxide and oxy compounds a little easier than cobalt nitrate. Don't forget magnetite. It is not much help on its own but mixed with cobalt? You might get a cobalt ferrite or simular.

using tin oxide alone may not be so simple

Rosco Bodine - 5-12-2007 at 16:14

My earlier hopes about cobalt spinel doping of tin oxide are now abandoned . It appears the usefulness of cobalt alone
in doping tin oxide is for producing an *insulator* rather than a more conductive layer .

Anyway it looks like the antimony can't be avoided with
the tin . I have some new information that while the
cobalt and tin oxide spinel does form very readily , it is non-conductive , so that is certainly not helpful . See US4308319 . Evidently not all cobalt spinels are necessarily conductive . And it is a sad development that the cobalt and tin spinel is one of these . Evidently I misinterpreted the
graphical results shown in one of the patents where tin oxide alone or DTO was being used in combination with
a *substituted* Cobalt and Zinc *bimetal* spinel , and
plain Co3O4 does not help the conductivity of the tin oxide
but hurts it instead . What the graphical results of US4369105 show is the breakpoint of 425C where the
existing conductivity of plain SnO2 or DTO is compromised
by the formation of the Cobalt and Tin spinel , a situation
which worsens with temperature and time .

It is a bimetal cobalt spinel with zinc that is showing the
acceptable conductivity used on top of plain tin oxide , and I am still not sure how to interpret that . I don't recall if plain cobalt spinel was tested with plain tin oxide in any of the other patents , so I will go back and look for that specific combination . It may be that only the substituted bimetal spinels are capable of doping the tin oxide towards better
conductivity , or something else may be occuring there to
explain the anomaly .

It could prove to be as simple as following a rule that you can't mix the precursors for the Tin and cobalt , and you don't exceed a certain temperature for separately formed layers , putting the higher heat developing layer on first .
What earlier seemed like a good idea , for mixing the unsubstituted cobalt spinel and tin oxide precursors plainly isn't a good idea , so pardon my huge brainfart if that's what it turns out to be . It may be that it only works for the limited case where the DTO goes on first , followed by the
bimetal spinel , but is not a scenario which will work with alternating layers or a mixture .

When pool chlorinators go bad!

Xenoid - 5-12-2007 at 16:32

Ho, ho, ho! Christmas arrived early for me this year, and I finally got a present I wanted!

This is a bit off topic, but doing the rounds of the swimming pool maintenance companies looking for used pool chlorinators has finally paid off. I went to a small company I hadn't visited before, the guys were sitting around having morning tea (as they do). I explained what I was after and why I wanted them, only to be greeted with blank looks. Then one guy said "Oh, didn't we just throw one in the skip over there'! We had a look and it was still there. They said they didn't get many, but when I said I would give them $10 for one they seemed quite enthusiastic and took my name, phone number and email. I got the one in the skip for free. They said it was a "self cleaning model" but something obviously went very wrong with the circuitry. It's a 6 electrode model and the electrodes still "look" OK, nice and black. I'm not sure what the pale blue stuff is, I assumed it was copper stained salt, but it didn't taste very salty! Anyway I don't particularly care. As a first step in cleaning it up I've left it soaking in water, I'll see how that goes!

Edit: I think the gunk is Na2CO3, it fizzes when a few drops of HCl are poured on it. Here in NZ, Na2CO3 is used as a "pH increase", the pool owners probably added too much. I think the blue colour (which is fairly superficial) is just a water colouring to make the pool look better.
All the electrodes appear to be coated, I guess thats the case with a self-cleaning chlorinator, in that the polarity is switched on a regular basis. It has 25 stamped on the top and the leads are pretty grunty so it may be a 25 Amp model.
I think I'll sit it in some vinegar to clean it up, nice and mild!

Ho, ho, ho, Xenoid

[Edited on 5-12-2007 by Xenoid]

Chlorinator.jpg - 44kB

jpsmith123 - 5-12-2007 at 16:41

Well the Co Acetate solution doesn't work too well for painting and baking...it's just not soluble enough...I'd literally have to be there all night with it.

Xenoid how did you go about making up your Co Nitrate?

chloric1 - 5-12-2007 at 17:18

@jpsmith Well I don't feel good about acetates anyway because they may form CO or metane/ethane. These might produce Co metal instead or only CoO.

jpsmith123 - 5-12-2007 at 17:24

Hello Chloric1,

Co Acetate apparently does decompose in air to CoO.

J. Mater. Chem., 1991, 1, 461 - 468, DOI: 10.1039/JM9910100461

Thermal decomposition of cobalt(II) acetate tetrahydrate studied with time-resolved neutron diffraction and thermogravimetric analysis

Robin W. Grimes and Andrew N. Fitch

The thermal decomposition of cobalt acetate tetrahydrate has been studied using time-resolved powder neutron diffraction. By using selectively deuterated samples, the loss of water or the breakdown of the acetate group can be identified by following the decrease in the incoherent background of the diffraction pattern as the hydrogen atoms are lost. The results suggest that by 150 °C dehydration is complete and a glass-like phase is formed. Crystallization of this anhydrous acetate occurs at 200 °C. Further heating initiates a two-stage decomposition of the anhydrous acetate terminated by the formation between 275–310 °C of a tetrahedrally co-ordinated cubic zinc blende form of CoO. This transforms at 310 °C to a rock-salt structure. The neutron diffraction data have been complemented by thermogravimetric and chemical analyses from which we have been able to propose some possible intermediate decomposition products and suggest an explanation for the formation of the unusual zinc blende form of CoO.

Xenoid - 5-12-2007 at 17:40

Quote:
Xenoid how did you go about making up your Co Nitrate?

From the "More on PbO2 electrodes" thread

Quote:
Originally posted by dann2

How might one make Co Nitrate from Co Sulphate?

Hi Dann2, I have had absolutely no success with Patent 3,399,966 nor with the hydriding process, I've tried all sorts of combinations!

We must be thinking along similar lines, I'm having a look at Patent 4,366,042 - the substituted cobalt spinel paper.

I am at this very moment making some cobalt nitrate by reacting some calcium nitrate with cobalt sulphate. One gets a pretty thick goopy result like strawberry yoghurt, but I've put it through my pressure filter and I now have a nice red cobalt nitrate solution. This is the same process I used for making manganese nitrate, but this time I'm going to concentrate and recrystallise it to get a purer product. I'm going to make some zinc nitrate by the same process, and have a go at a simple zinc cobalt spinel coat on Ti.

The reaction precipitates CaSO4 which you have to remove. It is actually slightly soluble so there will be some left in the cobalt nitrate soln. Thats why I have been trying to purify my nitrate in the earlier posts. Try to use stoichiometric amounts of the reactants and add the Ca nitrate carefully until no more ppt. forms. Someone earlier mentioned using fairly dilute solutions, because the CaSO4 is hard to filter out (its so thick and goopy). Fortunately I built myself a pressure filter some time back and I filter the mixture at about 20psi which leaves an almost dry "cake" of CaSO4 remaining in the filter. You may find it easier to do in a stepwise fashion ppt, filter, ppt, filter, etc.

Nitric acid and the carbonate would of course be much simpler, but I don't have any nitric acid, but I do have plenty of cheap Ca(NO3)2 fertilizer I got from a hydroponics shop.

Regards, Xenoid

Xenoid - 5-12-2007 at 18:31

Quote:
Crystallization of this anhydrous acetate occurs at 200 °C. Further heating initiates a two-stage decomposition of the anhydrous acetate terminated by the formation between 275–310 °C of a tetrahedrally co-ordinated cubic zinc blende form of CoO. This transforms at 310 °C to a rock-salt structure. The neutron diffraction data have been complemented by thermogravimetric and chemical analyses from which we have been able to propose some possible intermediate decomposition products and suggest an explanation for the formation of the unusual zinc blende form of CoO.

Yes, but CoO is not desirable, we want Co3O4 in the spinel form. Above 475 oC. Co2O3 and CoO tend to form from the nitrate, thats why the baking temperature is ideally about 375 oC.

Rosco Bodine - 5-12-2007 at 18:32

The anomaly involving the non-conductive cobalt-tin spinel of US4308319 appears to be related to untypical elevated proportions of the cobalt to tin . The non-conductive "spinel" material has a cobalt to tin ratio of 5:1 to 11:1 which is not really the conventional spinel , and the title of that patent misled me to distrust my first conclusions based on the Dow patents , which don't tell the whole story on the tin cobalt interaction .

The conductive cobalt - tin spinel or cobalt doping of tin oxide inferenceed by Dow may still be perfectly operable . And I have found another reference to cobalt being used at 3% as an additive to ATO baked films where the cobalt functions as a catalyst to allow the ATO baked anode to function as a working coating , rather than just a substrate . So it seems that so long as the ratio for the tin oxide to cobalt oxide is much richer in tin oxide , then the conductivity problem as occurs with the reversed ratio
does not occur .

More encouraging is the information in the Dow patents
that when the second oxide present along with the cobalt spinel is in great excess to that amount capable of forming the bimetal spinel , that the spinel does not
form as a separate structure but remains in solid solution
in the excess oxide . That mechanism is what usually does the job of "doping" tin oxide in the direction of conductivity , so there may be no worries here after all , within certain proportion limits . Again it seems when the doping of SnO2 is contemplated a small amount of the dopant is more useful , and there is a larger percentage of dopant which becomes counterproductive . What the conductivity curve looks like for the cobalt spinels and SnO2 , I haven't yet found charted .

jpsmith123 - 5-12-2007 at 18:52

Quote:
Yes, but CoO is not desirable, we want Co3O4 in the spinel form. Above 475 oC. Co2O3 and CoO tend to form from the nitrate, thats why the baking temperature is ideally about 375 oC.

Well to be honest I'm not sure of exactly what we want.

According to the paper I think I previously upoaded here somewhere (Desalination 126 (1999) 77–82; "Production of sodium hypochlorite in an electrolyser equipped with a ceramic membrane"; S.Yu. Bashtana*, V.V. Goncharuka, R.D. Chebotarevaa, V.N. Belyakovb, V.M. Linkovc):

"A VT-1 titanium was used as anode material; it was
surface-coated with cobalt oxide by means of
high temperature (t>900°C) plasma deposition.
Fig. 1. Photograph of electrochemical installation for sodium
hypochlorite generation.
Prior to the deposition, the titanium anode was
brush-cleaned and chemically degreased. Cobalt
tetroxide (Co3O4) powder was used as precursor
material in the plasma deposition operation.
According to the literature [10,11] high
temperature plasma deposition results in the
thermal dissociation of cobalt tetroxide with the
formation of a cobalt monoxide (CoO) layer on
the support surface. The final activation
treatment of the anode coating was carried out
under the conditions of the sodium hypochlorite
generation experiment at a current density of
6 mA/cm2 for 15 h. During the first 5 h of
treatment the hypochlorite current efficiency
increased from 18 to 65%, where it remained
until the end of the treatment. A change in the
coating colour from dark blue to black and a
comparison of the galvanostatic polarization
curves and hypochlorite current efficiencies were
used as indicators of the termination of the
oxidation processes in the anode coating."

Sounds like they specifically wanted CoO for their anode.

jpsmith123 - 5-12-2007 at 19:52

Xenoid with regard to your baked on coating, I'm trying to get an idea of how well it stuck to the titanium. Did you really try to rub it off with a rag, for example?

Rosco Bodine - 5-12-2007 at 21:21

For a gaggle of various spinels of possible interest not necessarily just cobalt spinels , see US3711382 . Sheesh
there is a couple of pages long list of these spinels , enough to keep a minerologist busy for a lifetime .

I read a brief mention that spinels can be baked directly onto hydrided titanium , in a patent from a different source than the patent jpsmith123 posted in starting the TiH2 thread .

@jpsmith123 , Did you try to do any of the baked coatings onto hydrided Ti ? The interface layer is everything ,
and once that is sealed off nicely by the first coating ,
and retaining conductivity , then you should be able to apply whatever else sort of wear coating you want ,
by whatever method . Maybe the MnO2 plus PbO2
low baked onto the TiH2 , then followed by the Co
acetate or nitrate as subsequent coatings could give
good results .

@Xenoid , About the open circuit gassing that you observed
from the spinel put back into the brine , it is probably the
catalytic decomposition of hypochlorite to free oxygen and NaCl . That's what happens if the spinel is in contact with
hypochlorite , and it may even hapen with other oxidizers ,
so when the current is off , you probably don't want to leave
the "decomposition catalyst" in the cell , because it makes
the powered on reaction run backwards when the power is off :D

Xenoid - 5-12-2007 at 22:01

Quote:
Xenoid with regard to your baked on coating, I'm trying to get an idea of how well it stuck to the titanium. Did you really try to rub it off with a rag, for example?

Well I didn't try to rub it off before I put it in the cell, I just touched the surface with my finger and it made a smudge. It actually looked like it had been given a light coat with a flat, black, spray paint. After I took it out, I have had a good go at it. There appears to be an extremely thin black "stain" attached to the Ti which doesn't rub off, but the bulk of the coat does. It is soft, black and very fine so I guess it has an extremely high surface area. In no way does it fall off, you can rinse it for example. In the cell I didn't see flakes lifting off like with some of my other efforts. The coating just literally wore away. It is not a hard, shiny coating, I would more imagine it as being hard at the Ti interface and grading outwards to what is essentially a bonded powder!

Xenoid - 5-12-2007 at 22:07

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosco Bodine

@Xenoid , About the open circuit gassing that you observed
from the spinel put back into the brine , it is probably the
catalytic decomposition of hypochlorite to free oxygen and NaCl . That's what happens if the spinel is in contact with
hypochlorite , and it may even hapen with other oxidizers ,
so when the current is off , you probably don't want to leave
the "decomposition catalyst" in the cell , because it makes
the powered on reaction run backwards when the power is off :D

Rosco, I guess you are right about this! One of the first things I did was to put the anode in plain water, the result was nought, zero, nil, nothing, nada! So I guess no free energy for all, at least not yet...:D

R.P.Wang - 6-12-2007 at 01:16

I think the Ti/PbO2 anode is best choice to produce perchloric acid, long service life and high oxygen evolution potential .

Xenoid - 6-12-2007 at 01:38

Quote:
Originally posted by R.P.Wang
I think the Ti/PbO2 anode is best choice to produce perchloric acid, long service life and high oxygen evolution potential .

Yes! You are probably correct, but members of this forum are having a very difficult time trying to plate PbO2 on to Ti. This can be seen in the 31 page "More on PbO2 electrodes" thread and others. If you have a suitable procedure, please share your wisdom with us, because I can assure you it will be much appreciated!

Rosco Bodine - 6-12-2007 at 02:14

Where's the cheapest place to get lead now ,
Toys 'R Us ? :P

jpsmith123 - 6-12-2007 at 09:16

Xenoid the way you describe your baked on coating...well it sounds exactly like my best electrodeposited coatings...and I have to say I don't like it :(.

I think Rosco's right in his implication that the trick (if there is one) is in the interface layer.

Rosco I haven't tried anything recently with a hydrided layer, but I'm preparing one now (it's been cathodized all night at about 30 mA/cm^2).

Anyway, I know when I plated a layer of plain cobalt (from Co Acetate solution) it was extremely adherent to the Ti (only sandpaper would take it off), but I was not able to oxidize it just by heating it with the heat gun. It would apparently have to be baked for 8 hours or so at 350 degrees Centigrade to accomplish that.

Rosco Bodine - 6-12-2007 at 09:50

You might try coating that plated cobalt with molten cobalt nitrate and then taking a propane torch to it . I don't have a lot of confidence in the heat gun treatment .
Like I said before , some sort of on part heat indicator
like a strip of sheet lead and a strip of sheet zinc battery scrap , twist tied with wire around the rod will tell you when you have the heat range over a burner and between the mp of lead and the mp of zinc is where you need to be . Hot enough to melt the lead , not quite hot enough to melt the zinc .

With a nitrate coated onto the thin Co metal , the corrosiveness of the nitrate would probably expedite
the oxidation of the metal and develop the interface .
For such metal strike platings you don't want to plate on
very much at all , because that just gives you more to
decompose when the bake hits it . You want just a barely visible flash plating , not a hard coating but a fragile
very thin coat that will oxidize through when the heating is applied . An ammonium salt like sal ammoniac or ammonium nitrate would probably facilitate the oxidation
on heating of the cobalt because cobalt complexes readily with ammonia and the complex is not heat stable , plus the oxidizer effect of the nitrate would enhance the decomposition to the oxide .

With the hydride , you probably don't need to plate on
the metal cobalt too , at least not as a continuous flash ,
as that would probably be overkill , where the hydride alone is going to resist decomposition . The cobaltous acid derived from H2O2 plus cobalt hydroxide just might
react directly with the hydride at ordinary temperature
or very slight heating to produce a "cobaltating" , chemically produced interface . This could be a good
initial treatment , coated over with cobalt nitrate and baked .

[Edited on 6-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Xenoid - 6-12-2007 at 11:44

Quote:
Xenoid the way you describe your baked on coating...well it sounds exactly like my best electrodeposited coatings...and I have to say I don't like it :(.

I think Rosco's right in his implication that the trick (if there is one) is in the interface layer.

jpsmith123 - Yes, I understand your scepticism, my description does not sound all that promising. But I have examined this a bit further. After removing the upper "smudgey" layer and being left with the dark "stained" layer (which BTW cannot be removed by any force known to man or beast). I put the anode back in the cell, the stained layer has been running at ~150mA/cm^2 for several hours.

This "stain" layer is very thin (comparable to oxide layer on Ti, I would imagine).

1) This stain layer is the "interface" layer, with a softer cobalt oxide coating on top!
or
2) This stain layer is the true cobalt oxide coating we are looking for, but is thin because I only applied one coating/baking cycle, and has a thick overlayer of softer oxides because the coat I did apply was too concentrated. I think this is the more likely case.

Today I will try 3 coats of a more dilute Co nitrate solution and hopefully get a thicker stain layer!

Even if (1) was the case, I think it would still make a usable anode, although soft and smudgey, the coating doesn't exactly "just fall off" and it may get harder with extra coats.

Xenoid

Some Papers I'd Like To Look At

jpsmith123 - 6-12-2007 at 12:22

I wonder if anyone has access to the following papers? These sound like they may have some useful information.

###################################

A new cobalt oxide electrodeposit bath for solar absorbers
Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells, Volume 51, Issue 1, 1 February 1998, Pages 69-82
Enrique Barrera, Ignacio González and Tomás Viveros

A study was carried out in a Hull cell in order to optimize the deposition conditions of cobalt xide (black cobalt) in an electrolytic bath, which uses cobalt nitrate for direct
obtention of black cobalt. Thermal stability of the material was surveyed on several samples of black cobalt prepared on stainless-steel with a thickness of approximately of 2.5 μm. It
was found that the optical properties change, in respect to the initial values, with time of treatment until an equlibrium is reached. This equilibrium depends on the substrate and the
temperature of the treatment used.

##############################################################################

Black cobalt solar absorber coatings
Solar Energy Materials, Volume 22, Issue 4, August 1991, Pages 293-302
S. John, N. Nagarani and S. Rajendran

A new electrolyte has been proposed for the deposition of black cobalt selective absorber coatings. These coatings are used in solar collectors for photothermal conversion of solar energy. We have studied the influence of electrolyte composition and operating parameters on the properties of the black cobalt coatings including optical (α, ε;) and electcical properties. Thermal stability and corrosion resistance tests showed good durability of black cobalt selective coatings for high temperature applications.

##################################################################################

Preparation of selective surfaces of black cobalt by the sol-gel process
Renewable Energy, Volume 9, Issues 1-4, September-December 1996, Pages 733-736
E. C. Barrera, T. G. Viveros and U. Morales

Black cobalt, Co3 O4, thin solid coatings on stainless steel and glass substrates have been prepared by the dip coating technique via the sol-gel route using a CoCl2 precursor. The
coatings produced on substrates exhibit a blue to black colours as a function of the film thickness. Sols have been made from a cobalt acetate precursor 0.1 M, and for such conditions, the dip coating process gives 0.08–0.25 μm thick uniform films per dipping, depending on the viscocity of the sol.

###################################################################################

Cobalt oxide thin films prepared by chemical vapor deposition from cobalt (II) acetate
Solar Energy Materials, Volume 23, Issue 1, November 1991, Pages 25-29
Toshiro Maruyama and Tsuyoshi Nakai

Cobalt oxide thin films were prepared by a low-temperature atmospheric-pressure chemical vapor deposition method. The raw material was cobalt (II) acetate which is non-toxic and easy to handle. Polycrystalline films were obtained at a reaction temperature above 300°C. From near-normal reflection measurements it follows that the films have solar absorptance α = 0.73 and thermal emittance ε = 0.089.

##################################

Xeniod that so-called "stain layer" you refer to is exactly what's underneath my electrodeposited coatings as well.

As I mentioned, my coatings didn't actually passivate, but rather, I removed them from the brine and wiped them and the coating came off like slime, all except for that blue, stained appearance, that is. At that point I sanded them and recycled them.

Rosco Bodine - 6-12-2007 at 13:31

Quote:
After removing the upper "smudgey" layer and being left with the dark "stained" layer (which BTW cannot be removed by any force known to man or beast). I put the anode back in the cell, the stained layer has been running at ~150mA/cm^2 for several hours.

This "stain" layer is very thin (comparable to oxide layer on Ti, I would imagine).

1) This stain layer is the "interface" layer, with a softer cobalt oxide coating on top!
or
2) This stain layer is the true cobalt oxide coating we are looking for, but is thin because I only applied one coating/baking cycle, and has a thick overlayer of softer oxides because the coat I did apply was too concentrated. I think this is the more likely case.

Today I will try 3 coats of a more dilute Co nitrate solution and hopefully get a thicker stain layer!

Consider this , that the "stained" layer is indeed the conductive interface , and it isn't going to grow in thickness no matter what you do . It is a substituted bimetal spinel with titanium , replacing the usual TiO2 which would otherwise be there . The softer outer layer is purely amorphous unsubstituted monometal cobalt spinel which formed by decompsition of the excess precursor nitrate which didn't enter into reaction with titanium to form the hard interface material . It may be better at this point to try to deposit a crystalline form of the monometal cobalt spinel as
a harder deposit , or perhaps to work with the cobalt and zinc bimetal spinel which should be a tougher coating . The second coating having zinc would then actually tend to react
with the first ( outside layer of soft Co3O4 ) rather than simply being a second coat of the same thing applied on top . I think it might even be good
to use slightly different bimetal compositions for each subsequent layer , encouraging an "equalization" of sorts
to force reaction in the boundary regions between layers ,
as this might improve the bonding having each layer react with the one before and the next .
Quote:

Even if (1) was the case, I think it would still make a usable anode, although soft and smudgey, the coating doesn't exactly "just fall off" and it may get harder with extra coats.

Xenoid

You can even preform a specifically crystalline and hard form
of the cobalt spinel , as a separately fired material in a crucible , and mix this "grog" as a thickener with your
precursor , so that when it bakes it will cement the crystals
together .

Quote:
Tricobalt tetroxide, C0304, is produced when the other oxides, or the nitrate, are heated in air.

By heating a mixture of cobalt oxalate and sal-ammoniac in air, it is obtained in the form of minute hard octahedra, which are not magnetic, and are only soluble in concentrated sulphuric acid.

excerpt from cobalt article

http://www.1911encyclopedia.org/Cobalt

@jpsmith123 , the following is the one to get :D
Quote:

Black cobalt, Co3 O4, thin solid coatings on stainless steel and glass substrates have been prepared by the dip coating technique via the sol-gel route using a CoCl2 precursor. The
coatings produced on substrates exhibit a blue to black colours as a function of the film thickness. Sols have been made from a cobalt acetate precursor 0.1 M, and for such conditions, the dip coating process gives 0.08–0.25 μm thick uniform films per dipping, depending on the viscocity of the sol.

The Real McCoy???

Xenoid - 6-12-2007 at 15:59

Firstly, I have checked the calibration of my thermocouple/multimeter using ice/water, boiling water and molten lead - amazingly it was within a couple of degrees for all three.

1) Ti rod was spun in drill press and "sanded" with 100 grit garnet paper for 1 min.

2) Ti rod was immersed in hot concentrated (290g/L) HCl in a test tube sitting in a beaker on a hotplate for 30 mins. Vigourous bubbling ensued and the HCl turned mauve. Actually, I think this is overkill, probably 5 or 10 mins would be fine!

3) Another test tube was filled to an appropriate level with a solution comprising approximately 20g cobalt nitrate hexahydrate and 20 mls of water.

4) The rod was dipped in the solution for 15 seconds, shaken several times and placed in the previously described heat-gun set-up for 10 mins at a temperature of 370 oC. +/- ~ 10 oC. The rod was then allowed to cool to room temperature (about 8 mins).

5) This procedure was repeated 4 (four) times, with the 4th run lasting for 60 mins. (1 hour).

The main differences in this procedure as compared to my first attempt are;

1) More dilute and purer coating solution.
2) More coats, 4 vs. 1
3) Slightly higher temperature 370 vs. 350 oC.
4) Last coat was baked for extended time, (this is in the patent, I had forgotten about it)

This has produced the anode shown below;

In retrospect I think that an even more dilute soln. may be called for, it is amazing how black the initial coat is, given how little soln. appears to be clinging to the surface. This may produce an even more homogenous coat.

@jpsmith123 - Note this coating is tough, it cannot be wiped off, there is just a slight grey smear on ones finger after it is repeatedly rubbed up and down. The first anode used too strong a soln. and produced a thick, "fluffy" coating. This looks like the real thing.

I've put it in a new cell and ramped the current up to 50mA/cm^2 (1.65 Amps) the voltage was about 3.2 (very low). I've turned it down to about 5mA/cm^2 to "run it in" for an hour.

I will report back with initial perfomance figures in a short while!

Cobalt-Anode-2.jpg - 17kB

dann2 - 6-12-2007 at 16:51

Hello Folks,

Anode looks good.!

I purchased some Cobalt Carbonate, Zr Oxide and Antimony Oxide in ceramcis store so hopefully will get some thing done in near future. I have Zinc powder + Nitric acid.
Got a bit bogged down with other work last few days.
The DTO coat on Ti still going strong. (Approx. 120 hours) I put up the current density to hurry up it's destruction. The damm thing will still be going at Christmas at this rate. :D
It is making Perchlorate.

Following thread with interest.
Has Spinel Cobalt Oxide 'Holy Grail' status? Now THERE is a question.

@JP
You could try asking in the reference section for the paters. I Solo cannot do it, nobody can do it.

jpsmith123 - 6-12-2007 at 17:02

Dann2 maybe with your DTO coatings you've already got the answer.

Could you explain the details of how you prepared it?

Rosco Bodine - 6-12-2007 at 17:59

Quote:
Firstly, I have checked the calibration of my thermocouple/multimeter using ice/water, boiling water and molten lead - amazingly it was within a couple of degrees for all three.

Ha! Xenoid busted Rosco :P I got one of those Fluke digital multimeters too that has the thermocouple input plugs ....
and now I know a good use for it . Heat gun here I come :D:D:D Need to make a little trip to the building supply tool department . :D Got money burning a hole in my pocket right now for parts and such .:P
Quote:

1) Ti rod was spun in drill press and "sanded" with 100 grit garnet paper for 1 min.

Got drill press :D Ever used that cloth backed emery ribbon
they sell by the foot ? It's just like the sheet stuff but is about an inch and a half wide ribbon . Plumbers use it on copper pipe to scuff it for soldering . Makes quick work
for polishing a rod in a drill press when you see saw it back and forth . The filings fall right out of it as it goes so it doesnt load up the grit and keeps cutting , doesn't get hot in
one spot either .
Quote:

2) Ti rod was immersed in hot concentrated (290g/L) HCl in a test tube sitting in a beaker on a hotplate for 30 mins. Vigourous bubbling ensued and the HCl turned mauve. Actually, I think this is overkill, probably 5 or 10 mins would be fine!

Yeah with a freshly emery polished rod , you maybe just need
to rinse in acetone , if it is going straight into the nitrate .
BTW ,
I am pretty sure you can dissolve the nitrate hexahydrate
in denatured alcohol and gradually azeotrope the water
off from the hexahydrate , might have to simmer it overnight .
This might be handy if you are experimenting with some sort
of anhydrous coatings or solvents , and need to get the water out of the hexahydrate .
Quote:

3) Another test tube was filled to an appropriate level with a solution comprising approximately 20g cobalt nitrate hexahydrate and 20 mls of water.

4) The rod was dipped in the solution for 15 seconds, shaken several times and placed in the previously described heat-gun set-up for 10 mins at a temperature of 370 oC. +/- ~ 10 oC. The rod was then allowed to cool to room temperature (about 8 mins).

5) This procedure was repeated 4 (four) times, with the 4th run lasting for 60 mins. (1 hour).

The main differences in this procedure as compared to my first attempt are;

1) More dilute and purer coating solution.
2) More coats, 4 vs. 1
3) Slightly higher temperature 370 vs. 350 oC.
4) Last coat was baked for extended time, (this is in the patent, I had forgotten about it)

This has produced the anode shown below;

How about three or four Halleluiahs ! It looks like the real deal . I bet this thing's right . :D
Quote:

In retrospect I think that an even more dilute soln. may be called for, it is amazing how black the initial coat is, given how little soln. appears to be clinging to the surface. This may produce an even more homogenous coat.

You could be right , most of these sorts of coatings will have an optimum concentration for a particular solvent , optimum viscosity and pH also , or certain other additives like wetting agents ( the same spreader sticker as mentioned for electroplating ) small details that can enhance the finish quality . But those tweaks can be worked out later if
the main process goes okay . No worries there .
Quote:

@jpsmith123 - Note this coating is tough, it cannot be wiped off, there is just a slight grey smear on ones finger after it is repeatedly rubbed up and down. The first anode used too strong a soln. and produced a thick, "fluffy" coating. This looks like the real thing.

I've put it in a new cell and ramped the current up to 50mA/cm^2 (1.65 Amps) the voltage was about 3.2 (very low). I've turned it down to about 5mA/cm^2 to "run it in" for an hour.

I will report back with initial perfomance figures in a short while!

Yeah I think Xenoid just nailed it . ( Knock on wood :P )

jpsmith123 - 6-12-2007 at 18:15

Well I hope Xenoid gets back soon with an update as I'm getting nervous...

Xenoid - 6-12-2007 at 19:18

Quote:
Well I hope Xenoid gets back soon with an update as I'm getting nervous...

Sorry to take a while getting back but I've been coating another anode using different conditions.
The anode has been running for 3 hours now and everything looks fine, the voltage even dropped slightly as the cell warmed up!
I didn't bother with the conditioning, that only lasted for 15 mins. The anode is running at ~50mA/cm^2 its somewhat longer than the previous one, the active area is about 33 cm^2 and I'm running it at 1.66 Amps. Cell volume is about 400 mls, anode - cathode distance ~4.5 cm.
I'm limiting the current a bit, because it's running in my "electronics lab" which is totally enclosed with no ventilation. There is a little bit of black scum on the surface of the electrolyte, but I don't think it's anything to worry about!

Cobalt-2-Run.jpg - 28kB

Rosco Bodine - 6-12-2007 at 19:59

If my guess is right , because of the electrocatalytic effect
of the cobalt , no additives like fluorides or persulfates
will be required for the perchlorate production , and the
cell efficiency will be higher , lower operating voltage
for the cobalt spinel anode than other anode materials . No need either to make the chlorate first , separate and then make perchlorate , it should go all the way from the plain chloride to the perchlorate , to a high degree of completion .

Might be interesting to put a bit of lithium chloride
into the cell to test earlier speculations about it possibly
being catalytic via continual metathesis for a KCl starting solution .

Of course you would need some cell depth below the
electrodes so the rising layer of KClO4 crystals doesn't short out the cell . Probably a circulating pump having an intake tube near the bottom could be used to keep the crystals suctioned out and trapped on a filter or in a settling tank in the return stream . You could run a
smallish sized cell like a gallon jar , and keep replenishing the pumped electrolyte water and chloride , while the KClO4 accumulates in a picnic cooler where you scoop it out occasionally with a snow shovel and deposit it in
a nearby wheelbarrow to drain and dry :D

Xenoid - 6-12-2007 at 20:20

Steady on, Rosco, lets not get too carried away...:D

For anyone out there...... is there anyone out there, other than we intrepid four, and the honourable Mr Wang!

Here is my primitive heat gun set up! The rod just sits at an angle, upright at the bottom of the Al tube. I hold the rod in place on the heat gun and lower the tube over it so only one part of the rod touches at the top and one at the bottom.

Whilst making my latest anode I dropped it and it rolled across the concrete floor, there wasn't a mark on it!

This is not the ideal set up by any means, I'm still looking at toaster ovens. I will report back when I've done a bit of construction/destruction.

Hot-Air-Gun.jpg - 24kB

Rosco Bodine - 6-12-2007 at 20:37

That's a good setup , but you could drill a 1/16" hole through the rod very close to the top and then put a wire
through the hole and bend it aound and back to itself to make suspension loop , hanging the rod like a wind chime
inside the furnace tube . I have some kaowool that I think I will line the inside of a fireplace duct with to
make a chamber about the size of one of those terra cotta
wine coolers , or maybe just take a 1" Remgrit holesaw and bore a hole in the bottom of one of those wine coolers and use it for a furnace chamber . The clay will hold heat better than a metal tube . I actually have an old Weston process thermometer that reads up to 1200 F , and will probably use that for temp monitoring .

What kind and rating of heat gun are you using ?

Xenoid - 6-12-2007 at 20:58

Quote:
.... but you could drill a 1/16" hole through the rod very close to the top....

Oh Yeah! Good luck!:D

It's a 2000 Watt model.

Something I forgot to mention! I have been putting the dipped, wet anode directly in the gun and turning the heat upto full. I did this because in the patent they said to put the anode straight into an oven. The two new anodes I have made today are a bit streaky and patchy, I think it would be best to gently dry them first in warm air whilst rotating, this should produce a more even coat.

I was thinking if these work out, and last for a run or two, the cost is negligible! Once you have purchased your Ti, this coating only costs about 20 cents in chemicals and electricity and the Ti will last a lifetime...:D

Rosco Bodine - 6-12-2007 at 21:05

Won't drill huh ? How about a carbide or diamond bit ?
The stuff can't be that damn hard . I bet even a cobalt bit
would do it .

dann2 - 6-12-2007 at 21:05

Hello,

Can't see the bottom of the Heat gun but have you it a bit off the ground. It will burn out if there is not a good flow of air through it. (Hope I am not stating the obvious.)

The DTO was done the way of the Diamond Shamrock patents using the same amounts of SnCl4:5H20, Antimony,
HCl, and Methanol.
Will right up exactly what I did but I do not think my exact procedure is important.
It is interesting to note that all patents use SnCl4:5H2O when making DTO as an undercoat for something (let it be LD or CO) but there is a procudure in pat No. 3627669

C:\Documents and Settings\me\Desktop\Page download\top\Top\chlorate\leaddiox\us3627669.html

for an actual DTO only anode.

This uses SnCl4 (anhydrous) refluxed with Amyl Alcohol.
It must be better than the stuff (not really an anode, but just an undercoat) produced via SnCl4:5H2O but the DTO produced usins hydrated SnCl4 must be better as an undercoat. Just guessing, reading between the lines.

Perhaps we need a DTO thread :P

My cell, the one testing the DTO, is now giving a 'yougart' product (lots of K. Perchlorate) when a sample it taken out and some KCl added to it.

Dann2

Rosco Bodine - 6-12-2007 at 21:10

Something I have never seen mentioned as a possible anode substrate or possibly even directly used as an anode is stellite . It's a nickel cobalt alloy used to make
car engine exhaust valves and seats , and jet turbine combustion chamber parts .

Xenoid - 6-12-2007 at 21:31

Quote:
Can't see the bottom of the Heat gun but have you it a bit off the ground. It will burn out if there is not a good flow of air through it. (Hope I am not stating the obvious.)

It's designed to sit on the ground, it has a built in stand, the air inlets are on the side!

Here is the anode I coated this afternoon, I made the cardinal sin and changed 3 variables simultaneously, otherwise same as above:

1) Etching was carried out for only 15 mins.
2) Solution concentration was halved.
3) Doubled the coatings to 8

It doesn't look all that different to the previous anode. I'm going to put it in a perchlorate cell and see how it performs. The coating may be slightly harder ie. no force in the known universe is capable of removing it - :P

You know what it reminds me of - that black (antirust) coating on structural steel. I assume it's magnetite (another spinel). Might be worth trying iron nitrate solution and giving the Ti a magnetite coat!

Co-Anode3.jpg - 9kB

jpsmith123 - 6-12-2007 at 22:08

Xenoid do I take you to mean that if you rub the coating with a piece of paper towel, for example, you will see no color on the towel? Is it really that adherent?

Xenoid - 6-12-2007 at 23:00

Quote:
Xenoid do I take you to mean that if you rub the coating with a piece of paper towel, for example, you will see no color on the towel? Is it really that adherent?

Pretty much yeh! I think with these type of coatings there will always be a little "dust" on the surface. I have actually wiped this one quite vigourously with a wet paper towel, virtually nothing came off. I thought I'd give it a good clean, so I wouldn't get any black scum on the surface like the previous anode.

To free up my lab power supply for testing the perchlorate cell, I have moved the chlorate cell over to a 5 volt (constant voltage) computer supply. I've put a 0.8 ohm 20 watt resistor in series. It is now running at 3.22 volts and 1.86 Amps. Still looks fine!

The new anode I made this afternoon is now in a small perchlorate cell (250 mls) near saturated NaClO3, no additives. I've got more adventurous with this and upped the current to ~100mA/cm^2. It is running at 4.7 volts and 2.2 amps. I hope its making perchlorate, its certainly making some ozone!

Well what a day! I'm gobsmacked...:o

I just hope its all going in the morning!

nickel cobalt spinel versus zinc cobalt spinel

Rosco Bodine - 6-12-2007 at 23:37

Spinel oxide coated titanium anodes-preparation and characterization

S. Kulandaisamy, , J. Prabhakar Rethinaraj, S. C. Chockalingam, K. V. Venkateswaran and S. Visvanathan
Electrohydrometallurgy Division, Central Electrochemical Research Institute, Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu 630-006, India
Received 21 April 1999; revised 13 December 1999. Available online 23 June 2000.

Abstract
Cobalt oxide based spinel anodes containing NiO or ZnO as
the secondary component have been coated over titanium substrate by pyrolysis technique. The conditions of preparation were optimised. Electrochemical and structural properties were studied using X-ray diffraction (XRD), cyclic voltammetry (CV) and galvanostatic polarisation techniques and the results are discussed.

Attachment: Spinel oxide coated titanium anodes-preparation and characterization.pdf (133kB)
This file has been downloaded 1216 times

Xenoid - 6-12-2007 at 23:47

Good grief Rosco, do you never sleep..?

Cobalt sol spontaneous from acetate solution

Rosco Bodine - 6-12-2007 at 23:47

Attachment: Preparation of selective surfaces of black cobalt by the sol-gel process.pdf (311kB)
This file has been downloaded 1461 times

Rosco Bodine - 6-12-2007 at 23:58

Quote:
Good grief Rosco, do you never sleep..?

Look who's talking :P

Hard for kids to sleep around Christmas :D

It looks like the spinel is for damn sure a good interface ,
but how it will endure in the long run as an actual
wearing coating in perchlorate cell service is another matter .

It may be that PbO2 perhaps hardened with Bi will
need to be overplated to make a more permanent anode .
Just can't find any good data on perchlorate cell longevity
for the spinel , but seems like I have seen it once somewhere
that one combination did hold up well in perchlorate service .

Anyway the interface is the hard part , and it looks like that is at least one big headache and really core component that
very likely now has a solution .

Humble Pie!

Xenoid - 7-12-2007 at 00:19

Oh dear!...:(

The last anode doesn't appear to be holding up too well in a perchlorate cell. There is a lot of black crap floating around, although the anode is still coated and producing from the whole surface!

Maybe I overdid it at 100mA/cm^2, I think I'll turn it down to 50mA/cm^2.

Xenoid - 7-12-2007 at 00:37

Quote:
Spinel oxide coated titanium anodes-preparation and characterization

S. Kulandaisamy, , J. Prabhakar Rethinaraj, S. C. Chockalingam, K. V. Venkateswaran and S. Visvanathan
Electrohydrometallurgy Division, Central Electrochemical Research Institute, Karaikudi, Tamil Nadu 630-006, India
Received 21 April 1999; revised 13 December 1999. Available online 23 June 2000.

Abstract
Cobalt oxide based spinel anodes containing NiO or ZnO as
the secondary component have been coated over titanium substrate by pyrolysis technique. The conditions of preparation were optimised. Electrochemical and structural properties were studied using X-ray diffraction (XRD), cyclic voltammetry (CV) and galvanostatic polarisation techniques and the results are discussed.

Note: On the second page, in the part 2 Experimental section:

........baked in air at 200 oC - 400 oC for 5 MONTHS.....:o:o:o:o

I surely hope this is a typo, poor proof reading!

I think they mean 5 minutes....:D

Rosco Bodine - 7-12-2007 at 01:12

Yeah electricity must be really cheap in Tibet or
wherever that translation came from :P That
would be a whole lot of light bill and oven time .
Maybe it was cold in the lab :P and such an experiment
became a scientific mandate as a countermeasure
for prevention of cryogenic castration .

I got some more articles requested that are relevant to
these type coatings . Found out you can't mix the
tin oxides precursors with the cobalt spinel precursor
because on baking the cobalt must have air exposure to
complete its oxidation , and tin oxide stops that oxidation before it completes . So you can use the layers applied
one over the other , but each must be baked separately
to completion before the next layer goes on . It looks like about 450C is the upper limit for the Co3O4 and past that
it decomposes to its separate oxides .

Also found out you definitely can combine electrodeposition methods with baking methods .

More later .

Xenoid - 7-12-2007 at 04:25

Quote:

The DTO coat on Ti still going strong. (Approx. 120 hours) I put up the current density to hurry up it's destruction. The damm thing will still be going at Christmas at this rate. :D
It is making Perchlorate.

@ Dann2 - What's the current density and voltage on that anode, you probably mentioned it somewhere, but I can't be bothered searching for it! :P

jpsmith123 - 7-12-2007 at 05:34

Rosco thanks for posting that.

I wonder how the cobalt acetate solution became a sol-gel? They didn't go into any detail on that for some reason.

It's too early to give up electrodeposition!

jpsmith123 - 7-12-2007 at 07:01

Solo came through on the papers I requested!

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9319&a...

After reading these papers, my hope is restored!

Looks like cathodic deposition is the way to go. In fact the paper by Barrera et al. suggests to me that Beer's AC method might work.

I was able to get very excellent cathodic deposits of gray material (pure cobalt?) on titanium using concentrated cobalt acetate (much nicer than with the sulfate) with a little acetic acid, at a low current density.

After reading these papers, I'm thinking that, had I bumped up the current density or tried a somewhat less concentrated solution, it may have worked.

I may also have been successful if I'd added a pinch of nitric acid or maybe just some ammonium nitrate.

Lots of room here to experiment.

Xenoid put away your heat gun and grab your power supply!

more on sol gel derived Cobalt spinel

Rosco Bodine - 7-12-2007 at 08:43

Quote:
Rosco thanks for posting that.

I wonder how the cobalt acetate solution became a sol-gel? They didn't go into any detail on that for some reason.

No problem , I was looking up your references and came across some other related stuff which seemed pertinent .
I haven't even had time to read these articles through yet ,
so consider these as "this just in" possible interest items .
Probably a natural hydrolysis on dilution combined with air oxidation leads to a similar sort of mixed valency scenario
as applies in the oxidative cold soak process , where it is my theory anyway that an inorganic polymer is the intermediate .
Many of the polyvalent salts may follow this scheme .

Cobalt oxide films grown by a dipping sol-gel process

Enrique Barreraa, , , Tomas Viverosb, Alejandro Avilac, Patricia Quintanad, Miguel Moralese and Nikola Batinae

Abstract
Cobalt oxide thin films were prepared by the dipping sol-gel process, using two different inorganic precursors: cobalt chloride and cobalt nitrate salts. Also, samples with a different number of dipping-annealing cycles (3, 5, and 7) where prepared. Composition, structure, surface morphology and optical properties of such films have been characterised by means of X-ray diffraction, differential thermogravimetric analysis (DTA), transmittance spectra and atomic force microscopy (AFM). The results show that starting from distinct precursors leads to different properties: film water contents, surface roughness, crystallite size, total film transmittance, absorption coefficient and refractive index. Absorption coefficients higher than 104 cm−1 where found for all the samples. Refractive indices vary from n ~ 1.9–2.8 in the near infrared region. Our study shows that using a relatively simple preparation method like the sol-gel process, cobalt oxide films with specific properties, can be made.

[Edited on 7-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: Co3O4 Sol-gel derived Thin Solid Films 316 (1999) 138-143.pdf (805kB)
This file has been downloaded 1940 times

Electrodeposition of Co oxides

Rosco Bodine - 7-12-2007 at 08:48

A new cobalt oxide electrodeposit bath for solar absorbers

Enrique Barreraa, Ignacio González, b, , and Tomás Viverosc

Abstract

A study was carried out in a Hull cell in order to optimize the deposition conditions of cobalt xide (black cobalt) in an electrolytic bath, which uses cobalt nitrate for direct obtention of black cobalt. Thermal stability of the material was surveyed on several samples of black cobalt prepared on stainless-steel with a thickness of approximately of 2.5 μm. It was found that the optical properties change, in respect to the initial values, with time of treatment until an equlibrium is reached. This equilibrium depends on the substrate and the temperature of the treatment used.

Attachment: Solar Energy Materials and Solar Cells 51 (1998) 69-82.pdf (621kB)
This file has been downloaded 2977 times

Pyrolytic decomposition of Cobalt Nitrate

Rosco Bodine - 7-12-2007 at 08:53

On the thermal decomposition of some cobalt hydroxide nitrates

L. Markov, K. Petrov and V. Petkov
Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences, Sofia 1040 Bulgaria

Abstract
The thermal decomposition of cobalt hydroxide nitrates of single and double layered lattice type has been studied. It has been shown that both types of compounds decompose to oxide spinels, passing through stages of partial oxidation to intermediate Co(II)-Co(III) oxide hydroxide nitrates. The observed differences in the stoichiometry of the final oxide products have been associated with the lattice type of the initial hydroxide nitrate as well as with the decomposition mechanism.

Attachment: Thermochimica Acta Volume 106, 15 September 1986, Pages 283-292.pdf (735kB)
This file has been downloaded 3532 times

sneaking suspicion about polymer thickening

Rosco Bodine - 7-12-2007 at 11:04

Possibly just putting an airstone into a stirred solution
of these polyvalent capable materials and letting them
aerate for awhile is all that is needed for the gradual development of a sol-gel system . A bit of ammonium hydroxide and/or H2O2 might accellerate the process ,
if it was a very dilute and gradual infusion .

dann2 - 7-12-2007 at 11:07

Hello,

Current density is low on my DTO anodes.
30mA per square cm for first 100 hours or so. I have double this to approx. 60mA now going ok.
Voltage was rock steady at 5 volts at the lower corrent density.
It was about 6 volts at 60mA per square cm. The voltage is going up now a small amount. Dont know if it the andoe starting to fail or the fact there the cell is becoming a finished Perchlorate cell.

BTW Magnetite is a reverse spinel, not a Spinel. It is important to get our facts right. :-| :D

Dann2

Rosco Bodine - 7-12-2007 at 11:14

It wouldn't be any surprise if there is a "breaking point"
current density operating limit which is applicable to any of these anode coatings . Staying below that limit ,
the anodes may last for months to years , and going
above that limit they will crap out pretty quickly .

jpsmith123 - 7-12-2007 at 12:48

Well I don't yet have all the chemicals I need to try the specific electrolyte compositions mentioned in the two papers, but in fooling around a little bit I can see that the cathodically deposited films are much more sensitive to species type and concentration, current density, etc., than the anodic depositions I've been getting.

For example cobalt acetate in 5% acetic acid solution plates out a really nice layer of firmly adherent cobalt, whose "brightness" seems to vary with current density, whereas the layer deposited from sulfate solution, although adherent, looks like crap.

Anyway, I wonder if I should try adding some KNO3 to my acidified acetate solution?

In Search of the Holy Grail - Not!

Xenoid - 7-12-2007 at 13:03

Well my second anode didn't do too well in a perchlorate cell and has completely eroded away after 14 hours at initially 100mA/cm^2 and then 50mA/cm^2. Maybe I shouldn't have changed all those variables simultaneously! A methylene blue test indicates the presence of perchlorate, which is encouraging, although initially the anode seemed to be producing a lot of bubbles and ozone!

@ jpsmith123 - Obviously a perchlorate cell can exert more force than anything in the known universe!

The first anode still seems to be running OK in the chlorate cell.

Quote:
It wouldn't be any surprise if there is a "breaking point"
current density operating limit which is applicable to any of these anode coatings . Staying below that limit ,
the anodes may last for months to years , and going
above that limit they will crap out pretty quickly .

Well, I think to be practical, 50mA/cm^2 is a lower limit, with 100mA/cm^2 desirable!

Co-Anode-Fail.jpg - 9kB

Rosco Bodine - 7-12-2007 at 13:48

The cell pH is probably a factor too especially after
a cell has been running for awhile .

The spinel could turn out to be just a dandy one shot interface coat , and require sealing with tin oxide , and then a wearing coating of some sort . Anyway , by observation of the very low cell voltage , it is at the very least a damn good interface coating .

Looking at the anode , it still has that "stained" appearance , and I'm wondering , was it passivating
with voltage rise when you pulled it .....or did you pull it because it was looking naked ?

I'm thinking if it isn't passivated , then what you have done is to electrolytically scrub off the softer stuff , and get the anode ready for a baked on DTO sealing layer , as opposed to being back to square one .

jpsmith123 - 7-12-2007 at 14:50

Xenoid this might be a good time to try the electrodeposition method one last time (cathodic electrodeposition, that is).

You already have cobalt sulfate and nitrate lying around. If you can get some boric acid, you could try the method of Barrera et al. (of course they claim it works best with some cobalt chloride added, too, but it also works without, apparently).

Still off topic but...

Xenoid - 7-12-2007 at 15:12

Here's my pool chlorinator electrode assembly after cleaning the Na carbonate off with dilute HCl (the vinegar idea just didn't cut the mustard). This model sells for about A$400 new. The outside surface of the two outside electrodes still has 100% MMO (multi-metal oxide) coating, the rest of the electrode surfaces look to be roughly 75% worn out! It will be a bit difficult to disassemble because the top of the electrode straps and electrical connections are embedded in epoxy. The plastic straps around the electrodes are also epoxied in place but should be removable. I think I will just snip the electrode straps at the point where they enter the epoxy. I can then get an engineering shop to spot weld some additional Ti strap onto the stubs to make them into usable chlorate cell electrodes. They can also re sandblast them so I can put a new coating on them like.... like.... like.... cobalt oxide :P

Anyway, 6 Ti mesh electrodes (200mm x 65mm) for nothing, can't complain about that!

@ Rosco - Yeah, the voltage was rising rapidly and it was passivating. I had another play around with it at high voltage and high currents. I didn't get any useful information from the exercise, but I managed to generate a strange corrosion hole at one point about 4mm wide and ~.5mm deep in a VERY short time. I've had to file the surface to smooth it over - bugger!

Chlorinator-Clean.jpg - 27kB

cell electrolyte additives

Rosco Bodine - 7-12-2007 at 16:45

It seems I may be absolutely wrong in what I
supposed about not needing additives to the electrolyte
when using a spinel coated anode .

This is very preliminary information , first hit in a search
for anything looking relevant to perchlorate plus spinel .
The patent concerns chlorate production , and says that
the chloride(s) of the metals comprising the spinel coating on the anode , should be used as additives in the electrolyte ,
and further that the brine concentration also has importance .

I would suppose that having cobalt chloride in the electrolysis
mixture would be protective of a cobalt oxide containing anode coating , by virtue of the common ion then shifting the equilibrium , so that for cobalt to depart from the anode and enter solution , it would be "swimming against the crowd" of
other cobalt ions wanting to replace it . It makes sense ,
but how effective it may be I do not know .

US3329594

Another thing I have been checking is the Dow patents
which were a co-application and sort of overlap .
US3977958 and US4142005 are sort of part A and part B .
The first one focuses on use of organic salt precursors ,
and the later patent gets improved spinels using nitrate precursors .

One of the bimetal spinels which really raised an eyebrow
for me was the one conataining ~ 10 molar percent of
molybdenum . It is charted in the first patent but wasn't tested for an extended time .

This is similar to the bimetal spinel mentioned in one of the technical papers above which showed an improved spinel
was a bimetal spinel having a percentage of nickel ,
which was superior to zinc as a substituent with cobalt .

I am interested in these *bimetal* spinels because they are tougher and have better conductivity , but also because
I have an idea that subsequent layers of different spinels
*may* form a better bond with each other , by reacting and diffusing , due to their differing composition .

What I am thinking is it may be possible to increase the thickness of that "stained" layer which has a jewel like hardness , and usually resides beneath a thicker softer coating of the monometal cobalt spinel , by starting with
a much thinner coating , just enough to form the interface ,
and then coming back over it with a different composition
spinel , the idea being that spinel reacts with spinel in an alternating layer fashion as the thickness builds .
I think its a coin toss whether it would result in a thicker solid solution sort of spinel stew at the boundaries between layers , or if it would provoke crystallization , which might not be bad either . Only experiment would tell .

Attachment: US3329594 Chlorate production using spinel anodes.pdf (187kB)
This file has been downloaded 795 times

summary of previous information

Rosco Bodine - 7-12-2007 at 21:57

Providing some logical continuity here , is helped by
referencing a *perchlorate* related patent , which
was the genesis of my own interest in spinels .
Quote:
The anodes of the present invention are also particularly well suited for the electrolytic production of perchlorates

It is a beta MnO2 related Diamond Shamrock patent US4072586 (attached)
whose first reading six months ago led to my interest in cobalt spinel , first as a catalytic additive for baked MnO2 coatings , but later discovering that the Cobalt spinel was also useful for an interface layer on the Ti substrate itself .
This was published by the Dow patents but also confirmed independently by US4115239 . This was the patent which
used a titanium bronze as a modifier oxide , bonded with
cobalt spinel directly to a titanium substrate , which correlates with the in situ formed "modifier oxide" of the
Dow patents , and parallels the Beer patents , but using
the cobalt spinel as a cheap substitute for precious metal oxides . Zirconium is a good modifier oxide but is not a commonly available material .

However , according to the original MnO2 patent which
started this pursuit , modifier oxides for the MnO2 baked coating , include as in situ precursors Pb(NO3)2 , or as
*Tin Nitrate* , along with up to 5% Co(NO3)2 , serving
a similar purpose as "modifer oxides" .

And all these materials are *isomorphous* upon baking
so then all should form the reacting and bonding layer
interfaces which lock these coatings together forming
a multiple metal oxides anode having isomorphous diffusion boundary spinel layer interfaces stacked all the way down to the Ti metal substrate . Theoretically it should all lock together like layers of hot melted glue .

And by using the nitrate of tin , it is possible that sufficient
oxygen would be present for the full development of the cobalt spinel , in which case there could be mixed precursors
for both stannic oxide and cobalt spinel , especially with
lead nitrate also added , as there is a surplus of oxygen
present in that mixture , removing atmospheric supplied
added oxygen being required for the formation of the cobalt spinel on baking . This should also enhance the consistency
of the coatings which are built up as a wearing outer layer ,
since the chemistry is present in the mixture for anaerobic
reaction , the composition would be consistent through the entire depth of the coating , no matter the thickness or how many coats are applied . Alcohol solutions are used for
these precursors , and in the case of tin nitrate , that may be
essential as the salt hydrolyzes in water . There is no extensive description nor examples for the tin component
in the patent so more information about this is needed ,
although it is not an essential component of the MnO2
baked coating .

For the interface spinel an electrodeposition of MnO2 directly onto etched Ti , followed by baking the electrodeposited MnO2 layer did *not* produce succesful anode
coatings . But applying alcohol solutions of the nitrate
and baking did evidently produce working interfaces of a Manganese Oxide and Ti Oxide bimetal spinel . The
best result was on Ti alloyed with 1.5% Co alone .
A parallel may exist here for the cobalt spinel , where
baking of the nitrate precursor produces a conductive interface which is lasting , but baking of an electrodeposited oxide does not result in a durable interface . The particular alloy used for the interface may also have signifcant bearing
on the durability of a cobalt spinel baked interface coat ,
when it is used "as is" without some further wear coating .
Without detailed results specified for a particular commercial alloy , this is an unknown . To get beyond this uncertainty ,
for our pursuits the deeper the substrate interface is buried under protective coatings , the better .

The electrodeposited Cobalt suboxide might still work
as a wearing coating if it was applied to a Ti substrate
which first had a baked interface . It might be useful
to use the electrodeposition as a layer thickness building
method , alternated with other materials , baked or also
electrodeposited , in some alternating combination .
But I am suspecting at this point that the first interface layer
has to be bake developed from a chemical decomposition precursor , rather than from an anodically deposited oxide
then baked to "set" it . A cathodically deposited oxide
like jpsmith123 is looking at as an alternative for the
first interface , might work , but I wonder if there is any advantage to be gotten there over a baked coating from
decomposition of a nitrate , for the initial interface coating anyway . A hydrided or non-hydrided Ti substrate may
make a difference for electrodeposited Co oxide , later baked , or it may make no difference at all , working neither way , whether anodic or cathodic deposition is used .

There remains the possibility also of electrodeposited PbO2 being applied over the baked spinels , incuding being applied
over the MnO2 . A labrynth of layers of differing composition conductive coatings may be required to produce a truly permanent anode .

At this point it seems , so far , so good . More experiments
will be needed to learn and/or prove what steps will
be required for creating a long life perchlorate cell anode .

Attachment: US4072586 Baked Mn(NO3)2 Manganese_dioxide_electrodes.pdf (156kB)
This file has been downloaded 710 times

jpsmith123 - 8-12-2007 at 07:34

Didn't Xenoid or someone already try MnO2 by way of thermal decomposition of Mn(NO3)2, or was it only electrodeposition that was tried?

What leaps out at me in patent #4072586 is the question: How well would straight beta MnO2 (from thermal decomposition of Mn(NO3)2) have fared if the Ti substrate had been hydrided or given a controlled coat of TiO2 first?

Anyway the big picture I'm seeing here seems to be that you either need some kind of a "mixed oxide" coating on the outside, or, if you use a single oxide like straight PbO2, MnO2 or CoO etc., then you need an intermediate layer.

As far as deposition methods are concerned, I've given up on straight *anodic* electrodeposition of anything, but, both the cathodic and AC electrodeposition of single and mixed oxides still need to be investigated, IMHO.

Xenoid - 8-12-2007 at 08:12

Quote:
Didn't Xenoid or someone already try MnO2 by way of thermal decomposition of Mn(NO3)2, or was it only electrodeposition that was tried?

What leaps out at me in patent #4072586 is the question: How well would straight beta MnO2 (from thermal decomposition of Mn(NO3)2) have fared if the Ti substrate had been hydrided or given a controlled coat of TiO2 first?

Yeah, I did, I tried both! Your line of thinking is exactly what I have been considering over the last 24 hours. The cobalt oxide ( or some variation) is looking quite good for a chlorate cell anode. But is not working too well for perchlorate. I've been thinking about revisiting MnO2 (god I hate the stuff). As far as I can see the only good performers in a perchlorate cell are platinum, PbO2 and MnO2. When I was messing with MnO2, I was trying to coat gouging rods. Now that I have Ti and know how to prepare it I've been thinking about having another go, since I have the Mn salts on hand. The things I am going to try next are as follows; MnO2 plated onto etched and hydrided Ti, MnO2 baked onto Ti and then the same but on Ti with a baked on layer of Co oxide.

Guys, I think this has all got to be kept relatively simple, (simple chemicals, simple procedures and simple equipment) and in perspective!

From my point of veiw an anode that would last long enough to do a single run from NaCl ---> NaClO4 would be perfectly adequate. It doesn't need to last for hundreds of days, provided it could be recoated cheaply and simply as needed! If I could treat several Ti sheet/rod anodes simultaneously in a morning, put them in a cell of several litres volume and produce a Kg or two of perchlorate over say a couple of weeks, that would be fine. How much perchlorate does one need! Even if you are into pyrotechnics or model rocketry in a big way, surely that would be enough!

Note: Co oxide spinel anode in chlorate cell was still going fine when I checked it, coating was still 100% intact and electrical parameters stable.

The baked on Co spinel coating is bonding well, when it does fail, it is from wearing away from the outside, not flaking off at the interface, I think this is a big step forward, at least from what I have achieved in the past!

[Edited on 8-12-2007 by Xenoid]

jpsmith123 - 8-12-2007 at 08:28

Xenoid there are a couple of things that, IMO, really need to be tried ASAP, either to eliminate them from the list of candidate processes, or because of the potentially very high pay-off if they work.

As of right now, I have no Mn compounds lying around, so I would have to order them.
I also need to buy a variac on ebay or somewhere as I presently have no variable AC source.

I wonder, do you have any Mn Sulfate lying around?

I'd like to see some AC electrolysis (after Beer) of a mixture of Mn and Co sulfates. IIRC, Beer's electrodeposited coatings involved AC and more than one oxide, but he claimed that they were successful.

You're right about keeping it simple. That's what I want to do. The 3399966 patent was so compelling because of its simplicity. Even if an anode only works for a few runs before failing, so what, as long as it's easy to make another one.

This is why I'm interested in electrodeposition.

Xenoid - 8-12-2007 at 08:38

Yeah! I have 5Kg of hydroponic Mn sulphate!

jpsmith123 - 8-12-2007 at 08:53

Are you up to an experiment using two pieces of Ti as electrodes, driven by AC (preferably of variable voltage), using a mixed Mn and Co sulfate bath?

Xenoid - 8-12-2007 at 09:02

Yeah! Yeah! Where's that Beer Patent, I can't find it. I downloaded 3,234,110 but thats not the right one?

Rosco Bodine - 8-12-2007 at 09:17

It would probably be good to not overlook the hydrided Ti
with the low temperature baked MnO2 / PbO2 interface .
These are isomorphs also , forming an interface MMO which is a tertiary solid solution with TiO2 . This is similar to the idea with the spinel but evidently develops at a lower temperature . The TiH2 thread gives the relevant patent .

Interesting that a similar mixture of Pb(NO3)2 with
Mn(NO3)2 is described in the US4072586 patent which
claims usefulness for perchlorate production . This suggests an MMO interface coating composition which may also have usefulness as a wearing coating in perchlorate service .

These are very similar schemes for mixed metal oxides ,
the only thing really distinguishing about the spinels
being that at certain ratios , a distinctly crystalline
molecular compound may appear in the solid solutions
involving MMO materials which form polyvalent oxides ,
as is the case with these materials . As I see it , the
relationship in the mixture MnO2 with PbO2 is not
much different in principle or chemistry than what
is occuring with bimetal spinels , the significant difference
being only for identification of distinct compounds like
"double salts" which arise in the case of spinels ,
whereas the other solid solutions are only mixtures .

I haven't even checked the long list of identified spinels for these , and they may well be named spinels also , even though not specifically flagged with that distinction in the patents which describe their usefulness . Indeed there are many many possible spinels which form over a wide range of temperatures , and probably quite a few of them are of interest for interface materials with Ti and / or may have value as perchlorate anode coatings . The
spinel(s) associated with cobalt and a few others are
noteworthy because of observed oxygen selectivity ,
and catalytic effect , similarly as for manganese dioxide ,
which seems likely an oversimplification in naming for what
is possibly a spinel there also .

None of these coatings should be left in open circuit condition , while still in the electrolyte . And I think
as a general rule if you are getting excessive gassing at the anode then your current density is too high . What exactly is excessive depends on cell efficiency and the
ability of the anode to endure that condition .

PS: Sulfate reportedly is poison to the MnO2 baked coatings

[Edited on 8-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

jpsmith123 - 8-12-2007 at 11:05

Here's one of the procedures I took from one of the patents; unfortunately I've forgotten which one. I will look and see if I can find others.

Example XVI

Two titanium rods were degreased and pickled and subsequently placed in a galvanic bath having the following composition:

100 cc. ethanol
100 cc. water
1 g. ruthenium chloride
10 g titanium chloride

and subsequently connected to a source of alternating current of 13 volts and a current density of 15 amp/m^2, temperature 20-30 degrees C., for a period of about 20 minutes.

After about 20 minutes both rods were coated with a mixture of titanium oxide and ruthenium oxide, the adhesion of which was still further improved by heating at 400 degrees C for 5 minutes.

The anode thus made is excellently suitable for use in various electrolyses at low current densities.

Edit:

This may be a generally useful method that may work for us. I think it's worth a quick test. The proportions of the various salts might need to be experimented with a bit, but I can't imagine it being too critical.

Pages:  1    3  4