Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Cobalt Oxide Anodes

Pages:  1  2    4

Xenoid - 8-12-2007 at 11:24

Quote:
Originally posted by jpsmith123
Here's one of the procedures I took from one of the patents; unfortunately I've forgotten which one. I will look and see if I can find others.

Example XVI

Two titanium rods were degreased and pickled and subsequently placed in a galvanic bath having the following composition:

100 cc. ethanol
100 cc. water
1 g. ruthenium chloride
10 g titanium chloride

Hang on! I thought you said Mn and Co Sulphate bath. Thats a big difference. What does the ethanol do! I've only got denatured!

I'm a bit thick...... :(

You'll need to specify exactly what you want me to do!

[Edited on 8-12-2007 by Xenoid]

Rosco Bodine - 8-12-2007 at 14:47

That sort of scheme using Ru doped *thick layer* TiO2 is a solid solution scheme which works well because Ru has unusal solubility in TiO2 and penetrates it readily , more easily than anything else actually .

I really believe that the *thin layer* TiO2 interface schemes that are workable using Co or Mn instead of Ru
are not going to work interchangeably in that sort of scheme , and TiCl4 isn't common either .

I have been thinking more about the"modifier oxide" concept which is involved there , and what it really seems to be trying to accomplish is a thickening and faster building of the coatings while maintaining good electrical conductivity and chemical resistance for the
thicker outer layers .

Something similar I have been thinking about with interest
is a possible parallel "doped nascent oxide derived from hydrolysis scheme" , It involves the hundred year old experiment which showed a persistent hydro-gel complex formation occurs for stannic nitrate with other metal nitrates in small proportion which decompose to an M2O3 form , iron being the nitrate reported as being studied most , but if nickel works as well it could be interesting .
Baking such materials should result in decomposition
to a doped tin oxide , but the conductive properties are unknown . This decomposition could also proceed anaerobically and in conjunction with Co(NO3)2 .

What I am trying to accomplish here is a combining
of the good conductivity interface derived from the
baking of a nitrate , which seems more promising
than other precursors for thicker layers particularly ,
since the nitrates decompose already in the higher
oxidation state and don't require atmospheric oxygen ,
along with the sealing effect of a tin oxide component
which seems to be a very good amorphous film forming
material , which will be the hot melted "glue" in the baked mixture .

One problem with the chlorides precursors like dann2
has been investigating , is the oxygen required for SnO2
to form , has to come from somewhere external to the
precursor itself , for example it has to rip any water present apart for its oxygen and get even more from the air to complete the formation of SnO2 . But using a
nitrate , the required oxygen and then some is self- contained in the precursor which decomposes directly
as the SnO2 , and also there is some nascent nitrogen
provided there which may even have a possible nitriding
effect where it may permeate downward or elsewhere
to encounter any free metal component . So anyway , it just seems in the nature of the mixtures involving precursors as nitrates , that they are higher intermediates for the desired end products of baking to decomposition .

chloric1 - 8-12-2007 at 15:30

How does one make or obtain "tin nitrate"? Is it is it's stannous or stannic form? It has been previously stated this compound hydrolysises easily. Is it merely precipitating stannic acid and redissolving in strong nitric acid?

Rosco Bodine - 8-12-2007 at 16:02

Yeah that's what I have been able to find in some very old texts . It is called stannic nitrate which would be I presume
Sn(NO3)4 , but it probably undergoes some spontaneous hydrolysis to a basic nitrate of lower oxygen content , on
evaporation of solution . I'll go back and get some links
from the google books archives for pertinent information .

The curious thing is the way the stannic nitrate interacts
with other polyvalent metal nitrates to form complexes
which virtually defy separation , and I suspect these are
members of the MMO molecular compound or perhaps
coordination compound groups .

Molybdenum also forms a nitrate , and its polyvalent properties would seem to commend it as a candidate
for a dopant in combination with just about any other
metal oxide , possibly with SnO2 , and already reported
as a bimetal spinel with Co .

I am still thinking that differing chemistry baked layers in sequence , which are inclined to react with the layer before , are worth experimenting . There's the possibility
also there of creating a "bi-electrode" barrier effect ,
should one of the layers be perforated in places , then exposing a slightly different composition layer which
could disrupt the chemical attack in the same way as
deliberately applied bi-electrode compositions do .

Here's a bit of some of the references , I'll have more
when I download and extract the specific pages .
Also there is US4576921 for a brief decription of dissolving tin in dilute nitric to get the stannous nitrate , which I think then decomposes to the +II Sn oxide or hydrated oxide .

[Edited on 8-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: Tin nitrate related Gmelin.pdf (187kB)
This file has been downloaded 1489 times

Xenoid - 8-12-2007 at 16:21

What happened to jpsmith123, has he gone walk-about again?

Update: The cobalt oxide anode in the chlorate cell is still running, the electrical parameters are rock steady after 2 days (48 hours). The black coat is still completely intact. This is the one with 4 coats of 50% solution.

jpsmith123 - 8-12-2007 at 16:29

It's actually my fault Xenoid as I wasn't very clear.

In one of Beer's patents, I think #3632498, he describes in general terms the methods that may be used to deposit mixed oxide coatings. One of those methods he describes is electrolysis, using AC, where the electrolyte is a solution of mixed salts whose metal oxides are to be deposited.

The example I gave is the one given in that patent. I don't know what the purpose of the alcohol is in that particular example, as he doesn't go into detail.

In another patent his product mixed oxide is manganese dioxide and platinum oxide, and although he states that it can be deposited electrolytically, his example uses thermodecomposable salts.

What I'm saying is that I think it would be worth trying AC electrolysis with cobalt and manganese salts in combination (and maybe even separately, as we didn't try that yet, either).

I'm planning on doing it myself, but I have to gather up a variac and some manganese salts first, which may take me a week or two.

tin nitrate hydrogel complex with M2O3 forming nitrate

Rosco Bodine - 8-12-2007 at 16:34

Here's an interesting article from way back over a hundred years ago .

The chromium variant was also identified ,
and the nickel variant would seem possible , though
not mentioned , perhaps also molybdenum .

These compositions are doped sol-gels having
sufficient bound oxygen for their complete anaerobic decomposition on baking to a doped tin oxide .

[Edited on 8-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: Tin nitrate M2O3 nitrate soluble complexes.pdf (430kB)
This file has been downloaded 975 times

Xenoid - 8-12-2007 at 17:37

@ jpsmith123

I've got a variac and a transformer set up so I can go from 0 - 25 volts AC.

Why do I need 2 Ti electrodes, can't I just use SS and Ti?

I just did a quick check and put a solution of 10g Co sulphate in 100mls water + ~80mls of alcohol in a 200 ml beaker. I put in a SS electrode and small strip of etched Ti. With this setup, to obtain 1.5mA/cm^2 (15A/m^2) only requires a voltage of about .5 volts. To use 13 volts I would need to have the electrodes about "a foot" apart. Maybe the alcohol is to increase the resistance of the solution, and one needs to develop a high voltage across the cell. Anyway I left it for 1 hour and nothing much seemed to happen, I put it in a NaCl solution but it passivated straight away!

With these type of electrolysis/plating exercises does one need to control the electrode spacing, such that certain voltages are (not)exceeded. I've always just made up a cell, dialed up an appropriate current and not worried about what the voltage was. Am I being a little naive in this respect? The voltages of cells have always confused me!

Rosco Bodine - 8-12-2007 at 18:28

Voltage is going to depend upon electrode spacing
and the conductivity of the electrolyte so it varies
with conditons . The current density is what you
can use as a definitive value for the energy flux
at the electrode surface .

jpsmith123 - 8-12-2007 at 18:43

I'm thinking that Beer uses two pieces of Ti because the solution will plate out oxide on both electrodes?

As far as the alcohol increasing the resistance...I had the exact same thought. I think that's a very reasonable assumption.

Did you get an oxide coating on the Ti from the AC?

And yes I go by current density too...to me the voltage is primarily a "trouble indicator" of sorts.

BTW did you look at the paper "A New Cobalt Oxide Electrodeposit Bath..."? If you have some Co Sulfate and Nitrate and Boric Acid you could try that method of cathodic electrodeposition (it sounds like the Co Chloride is nice but not necessary). I think that method may be breaking some new ground. I've never seen any patent talk about cathodic electrodeposition WRT anode coatings, and the papers claim it's highly adherent, which our anodic coatings certainly were not.

dann2 - 8-12-2007 at 19:13

Hello,

The voltage quoted in theses types of set up's is always quoted with reference to a third electrode in the set up, usually a, SCE, Saturated Calomel Electrode (Calomel is a compound of Mercury (Chloride?).
They do not mean much of anything to us IMHO except that if a paper gives a voltage that is higher than another voltage then with your set up you would be higher too (if ya know what I mean). The actual voltages will not be 'convertable' to a value that will make sence with your particular set up. Clear as mud.
Go with current density as Rosco said.

Dann2

Xenoid - 8-12-2007 at 20:22

Yes, I realise the importance of current density.

What I was getting at is that if you imagine the cell as a chain of resistances for example going from the "metal part" of the anode through any "surface layer" through the electrolyte, through any cathode layer and into the cathode metal...... Duh!..Duh!..Duh!... Ohm's law, so long as you have the same current density the voltage drop across any surface layer will be the same no matter what the rest of the cell resistance, I was thinking increasing the voltage across the cell would increase the voltage across the "surface layer"..... Bangs head on wall and goes and stands in corner with dunces hat on.. :(

"Did you get an oxide coating on the Ti from the AC?"

The etched Ti went in light grey and came out slightly darker grey, probably just the colour of the solution.

Oh, why do these electrodeposition processes never work for me ... :(
I think I'll go back to baking!

Rosco Bodine - 8-12-2007 at 20:34

Here's another idea .

The chromium nitrate and tin nitrate hydrogel
could be interesting as an interface experiment
on Ti alloy 6Al-4V , because chromated aluminum is conductive , as well as is chromated TiO2 and "vanadated"
TiO2 , plus the SnO2 would act as a solid solution solvent and sealer overcoating that interface which should develop , with the SnO2 being simultaneously doped by solid solution with the excess interface precursor oxides .
The materials in the alloy as well as in the interface precursors would seem to be a good match .

For a working , wearing coating , you could come back over the top with a lower baked MnO2 plus Co(NO3)2
plus Pb(NO3)2 mixture , which could make a complete
MMO anode in only two coat and bake steps .

Xenoid - 8-12-2007 at 23:17

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosco Bodine
Voltage is going to depend upon electrode spacing
and the conductivity of the electrolyte so it varies
with conditons . The current density is what you
can use as a definitive value for the energy flux
at the electrode surface .

@Rosco, I am a bit confused, in the "Perchlorate (not) with Graphite" thread, after my MnO2 coated gouging rods failed and I got what looked like permanganate you made the following statement:
Quote:

Hmmm...I'm starting to wonder if your pink might actually be formation of *per*manganate ???? Maybe if you go above a certain voltage , it is like a breaking point ??

You follow what I mean , you may be overdriving the anode and actually oxidizing the anode itself instead
of what you are trying to do the work on that is in the electrolyte .

It could be that the electrode gap being wide is causing you to use too much voltage to get good current ,
pushing the voltage up to a point that the potential is actually attacking the anode coating from underneath ,
at the carbon to MnO2 interface ? ...or at any rate
wherever it is occuring , maybe the overvoltage is what is killing the coating and you have to run the gap much closer to keep down the voltage much lower .

So if I coat a cobalt spinel anode with MnO2, how do I avoid permanganate forming, does it mean I have to adjust the geometry of the cell to get the "right voltage" for a given current density. This is going to make cell design difficult!

It's sort of what I was harping on about a few posts back!

Rosco Bodine - 9-12-2007 at 00:03

One guaranteed way of coating a cobalt spinel anode
interface without getting permanganate forming is baking on the MnO2 as the pyrolysis product of Mn(O3)2 ,
Co(NO3)2 and Pb(NO3)2 , while humming a few bars
of "I'm looking over a four leaf clover " :P

But I still think that some SnO2 is probably going to be needed somewhere as a sealing and barrier layer and possibily as a bonding layer in the MMO scheme .

A lot of industrial chemists have been trying to crack this nut
for a long time , and I think that we are about as close to accomplishing that as anybody has gotten . I really do
think that old ancient article about Sn nitrate complexes
with M2O3 precursor nitrates leading to soluble hydrogels
is an overlooked and crucial piece of "lost art" that can make this whole baked MMO anode architecture actually work .
This may be another one of those cases where the more modern chemists get humbled by a bit of technology from
great grandpas era making a timely visit to today :) :cool:
This could be just the needed "glue" that sticks this whole
thing together .

BTW , this hydrogel stuff might bake onto graphite also :D
or maybe even onto copper , nickel , stellite rod , iron , aluminum , stainless steel , ect.

One of the things I was thinking when I saw the bimetal
spinels of Co with copper and zinc and nickel is that there seems no reason whatever that simply painting Co(NO3)2
onto such metals shouldn't result in a bonding interface
of those bimetal spinels with those same metals indigenous
oxide coating . This makes copper a candidate substrate ,
simply by dipping it into nitric acid and then painting it with
cobalt nitrate and baking . I'd bet good money on it .
Got copper rod or busbar barstock ? How about a piece of copper pipe , maybe split lengthwise and smacked flat .
Spinel interface that material , then do the SnO2 hydrogel
barrier coating and then apply the
MnO2+Co(NO3)2+Pb(NO3)2 working coat . 1-2-3
and you got a copper substrate perchlorate anode :D

OTC copper is soooo *not* titanium . But sealed up good
enough it could work just the same . And that sure would simplify everything .

And for aluminum , the hydrogel would be the interface
coating , rather than the spinel . The hydrogel would be
the one based on aluminum nitrate and stannic nitrate ,
and hopefully would result in a solid solution interface
on the aluminum . Here again , go right on top of that
with the Mn/Co/Pb nitrates baked working coating
and 1-2 you have an aluminum substrate perchlorate anode . Cute huh ?

Conductivities not being good enough or porosity problems would seem to be the only obstacles which could trash these schemes . But I have a suspicion they could be made workable schemes . Just a matter of getting the required chemistry for the coatings right .

[Edited on 9-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Cobalt Spinel on TiH2 US4222842

Rosco Bodine - 9-12-2007 at 02:52

@ Xenoid , and
@jpsmith123

You guys seem to be reading different significance about this
patent than what I am seeing . I look at this patent and
it sort of fits into both this thread and the other thread about TiH2 substrates .

The hydriding is evidently being used to accomplish a more
complete formation of the interface bimetal spinel .
The use of the titanium hydride powder or hydriding of a sintered substrate is intended to increase the thickness of the interface spinel as an aggregate layer .

This is a higher art than the modifier oxides formed in situ
from simultaneous pyrolysis of precursor nitrates , but it also requires some uncommon materials and or techniques .
However the hydriding of a solid Ti substrate as a preparation for a baked Co spinel , is applicable to the
process using more common materials like the modifier oxides
of the Dow patents . I also posted this in the Ti substrate
thread because it involves both topics simultaneously .

Attachment: US4222842 Cobalt Spinel on Hydrided Titanium Substrate.pdf (141kB)
This file has been downloaded 565 times

jpsmith123 - 9-12-2007 at 09:52

Xenoid as I understand it one of the things you tried was anodic electrodeposition of MnO2 onto graphite. I'm wondering; (1) how well did it stick; and, (2) what solution did you use to deposit it?

Xenoid - 9-12-2007 at 10:20

@ jpsmith123

I used Mn sulphate + H2SO4. I can't remember the details, (5mA/cm^2). I was expecting to get a nice smooth, shiny deposit, but I didn't see anything at all. It may have formed a thin dull deposit, I didn't even test it. At that stage the solution was turning green ( from pale pink) and I gave up. I find Mn solutions difficult to work with as they readily change oxidation state! I may not have had the right initial concentration or pH. It could be worth revisiting, I didn't try very hard, and moved on to baking!

Edit: Oh yeah! I used a circular (tubular) SS cathode around the central graphite rod anode (genuine graphite - not gouging rod). I think I had gentle magnetic stirring to stop bubble build up, maybe I heated it gently, probably not more than 40 - 50 oC. though, because it was just in a glass jar! - Basically, nothing seemed to happen!

Note: Co spinel anode still running well, in chlorate cell.

[Edited on 9-12-2007 by Xenoid]

Summary of Co Electrodeposition.

jpsmith123 - 9-12-2007 at 11:45

Here's what I think I've learned so far:

(1) Co Oxide cannot be anodically electrodeposited onto graphite, platinum or titanium from either a sulfate or acetate solution (although an oxide seems to form, it just doesn't "stick").

(2) As per Xenoid, Co Oxide cannot be electrodeposited using AC (it doesn't seem to even form).

(3) A highly adherent Co metal coating can be cathodically electrodeposited onto Ti from either Co Sulfate or Acetate solution (but the Acetate solution gives a much smoother, nicer looking coating).

(4) Titanium can be cathodically electrocleaned/degreased, and, depending on current density and time, hydrided (I've done it in NaOH, Na2CO3, H2C2O4 and HC2H3O2).

Here's what I don't know:

(1) Can Co Oxide be cathodically electrodeposited onto Ti or graphite using the formulas specified in the two papers we've recently gotten (the papers claim a highly adherent coating)?

(2) Can mixed Mn and Co Oxides be anodically or cathodically electrodeposited from, say, their mixed sulfate solutions (I've read where MnO2 anodically electrodeposited from sulfate solution is supposed to "stick" very well, so maybe it's worth a try)?

(3) Is it possible to somehow oxidize the Co metal layer that can be cathodically electrodeposited?

Rosco Bodine - 9-12-2007 at 14:39

Quote:
Here's what I think I've learned so far:

(1) Co Oxide cannot be anodically electrodeposited onto graphite, platinum or titanium from either a sulfate or acetate solution (although an oxide seems to form, it just doesn't "stick").

It is possible that your deposition rate is too high , pH is wrong , and concentration of the precursor is too high .
There is a window condition for just about every electrolysis
scheme including electrodepositions where the desired result may be obtained , and any variance outside that narrow window trashes the intended result and produces something else . The oxidative cold soak depositions could be a model for the conditions required for Co spinel , as
the soluble cobalt should respond similarly in the same bath
to an electrolytically driven oxidation , as it does to a chemically driven "electroless" oxidation . A variation on the method combining the electroless with the electrolytic methods could even be operable . I think you are premature in the observation that it can't be done , but probably right in saying it isn't so easy .
Quote:

(2) As per Xenoid, Co Oxide cannot be electrodeposited using AC (it doesn't seem to even form).

(3) A highly adherent Co metal coating can be cathodically electrodeposited onto Ti from either Co Sulfate or Acetate solution (but the Acetate solution gives a much smoother, nicer looking coating).

Yeah but the possibility of interest here involves the minimal sort of flash plating which does not give a continuous layer , but minimally spot plates the metal onto regions , which then become deposition nuclei when the current is reversed .
Quote:

(4) Titanium can be cathodically electrocleaned/degreased, and, depending on current density and time, hydrided (I've done it in NaOH, Na2CO3, H2C2O4 and HC2H3O2).

Yeah but the etching with HCl or oxalic followed by hydriding in 5% H2SO4 is better documented for operative use .
Quote:

Here's what I don't know:

(1) Can Co Oxide be cathodically electrodeposited onto Ti or graphite using the formulas specified in the two papers we've recently gotten (the papers claim a highly adherent coating)?
Haven't yet carefully studied and digested those last papers . Possibly this is a variation on the oxidative cold soak process , where a very low cathodic potential is used which is insufficient for the plating out of the metal , but the oxidation potential is high enough on the anode that the entire electrolyte is being oxidized , similarly
as if a bromate had been added , and then the less soluble
higher oxidation state Co oxide is plating out , preferentially
adhering to the cathode due to electrostatic attraction .
This may be a case where the air oxidation is in effect making the anodic oxidation potential "bolstered" so its
"felt potential" to the electrolyte is higher than its actual electrical potential , allowing the sum of chemical and anodic effect to cause oxidation of the lower valency Co to the higher valency and less soluble Co which then drops out of solution onto the target . Isn't this a hybrid electrolysis / electrophoresis scheme ?
Quote:

(2) Can mixed Mn and Co Oxides be anodically or cathodically electrodeposited from, say, their mixed sulfate solutions (I've read where MnO2 anodically electrodeposited from sulfate solution is supposed to "stick" very well, so maybe it's worth a try)?

Sticking and a continuous vitrified solid solution are two different things with regards to permeability . To get the
needed barrier effect is likely going to require baking because
the diffusion does not occur sufficiently rapidly in thick sections at mild temperatures . It can do it on a nanocrystalline scale , but not on the macro scale , where heating is needed to drive the process at a reasonable rate .
Quote:

(3) Is it possible to somehow oxidize the Co metal layer that can be cathodically electrodeposited?

Yeah the surplus oxygen in a baked nitrates mixture could take care of that , if the metal layer was not too thick .
In some cases it might simply oxidize the metal when the
metal was made anodic , depending on the temperature
and pH , composition of the electrolyte , ect.

In the thread where Xenoid was trying to get MnO2 to bake onto graphite , the problem was adhesion , which seems to be the obstacle for most of the schemes where you have materials which will work as anode coatings , but the real problem is getting them to stick and stay conductive with the interface to the substrate . The schemes that involve conductive fillers as aggregates make sense , but many things can be used as those fillers . Nanocrystalline spinels have been made via chemical means at mild temperatures as conductive pigments for inkjet inks , and these could be useful as fillers for building thicker anode coatings , using
tin oxide or other oxides as the carrier and hot melt glue
for bonding during baking . I am pretty sure that MnO2
and I am positive that magnetite have been produced as
inkjet pigments , and there are probably others . These
materials could serve the same function as other particulate
conductive bronzing powders which are used as an aggregate bonded by spinel or by solid solution SnO2 .
I recently posted that the Co spinel could be made in nanocrystalline octahedral form by a separate baking in a crucible of IIRC a mixture of the oxalate and the chloride .
Possibly these crystals would be cemented into a layer
if mixed with Co nitrate alone and baked , or if mixed
with a Co plus Zinc or nickel precursor nitrates mixture ,
which would react with the preformed monometal cobalt spinel by diffusion on baking . Diffusion layers are what I
presume is the mechanism for bonding in most of these
materials and it should work in this case as well .

The whole mechanism of DTO solid solution barrier or interface laters depends on the dispersion of oxides
and their diffusion is involved also for bonding with whatever
substrate or aggregate . The Corning patent US2564707
gives an extensive list of ATO mixtures having a third oxide added . The patent studies mixtures derived from chlorides
which were flash decomposed and oxidized by air following
spray deposition onto hot glass surfaces . The properties
of similar end chemistry coatings derived from different precursors such as nitrates and decomposed more slowly
by baking , should closely parallel the data from the Corning
patent . For thicker baked coatings the nitrates are likely
better precursors anyway , since more or even all of the required oxygen is present in the precursor . Ideally perhaps
an even "oxygen balanced precursor mixture" could be formulated to optimize the quality of these baked coatings .

Xenoid - 9-12-2007 at 15:19

Well, my next move is back to baking! I'm very impressed with the way the Co oxide (spinel) is holding up it the chlorate cell! It has now been running at about 56mA/cm^2 for 72 hours (3 days) with no variation in the electrical parameters, the coat is still hard!

I have a Ti rod which has been hydriding for about 48 hours :o

I am currently making some more Mn(NO3)2 by double dissolution. This time I will recrystallise it to purify it. I may make some Zn-nitrate as well!

I have aquired a small quantity of nitric acid, which I intend to use to make some small quantities of Pb-nitrate, Sb-nitrate and various other "exotic" nitrates for doping experiments.

Here's a paper I'd like to get.

jpsmith123 - 9-12-2007 at 15:37

I just saw a reference to this paper. It looks like something we'd be interested in. Maybe I'll try to email the authors and see if I can get a copy.

Abstract.jpg - 68kB

Rosco Bodine - 9-12-2007 at 15:47

Yeah there is a similar Co-Mn spinel composition which has been or is still being investigated as a anode material
in lithium batteries . There's an article listed for that
from Science Direct and I'll get the DOI # for it if you like .

I still think for perchlorate anodes , baking is going to be required at least for the near or at interface layers , because of porosity . Even the baked coatings have some porosity , but it is way less than plated coatings . No reason why a first plated coating couldn't be later baked also to get past that porosity , if it would sinter on heating . Somehow though there may be a formation mechanism involved with the thermal decomposition
which kicks the reaction via some sort of lattice collapse
which can't occur in the case of plated on coatings ,
so they may never be equivalent materials physically ,
even though the end chemical composition is the same .

jpsmith123 - 9-12-2007 at 15:57

Does the study you're thinking of involve electrodeposition? If so, yes, I'd like to get the DOI#. On second thought, it may have useful information regardless the deposition method. Thanks.

As far as baking goes, I'm actually thinking about trying to do it in a microwave oven. IIRC, cobalt oxides are very good microwave susceptors. If a coating could be put on by electrodeposition, maybe it could then go in the microwave and be heated very hot, in a hurry.

Xenoid - 9-12-2007 at 16:24

Something else I was thinking about :

With the 4 coat baked spinel anode lasting (probably) at least 4 days, and 12 coats seeming to be the norm for the number of coats used by industry. Testing is going to start taking a long time. I'm thinking of limiting the number of coats to 2 or 3 (just enough to provide a good seal) and/or increasing the current density, if some particular combination looks promising then it can be subjected to longer testing.

Otherwise, unless someone else joins this quest, I am going to run out of power supplies, etc. there is a limit to the number of (per)chlorate cells that I can have "bubbling" away here!

@ jpsmith123 - Re microwave heating, good idea, may get too hot, too fast! Have to be done on low setting. Rather your microwave than mine for testing...:o

[Edited on 9-12-2007 by Xenoid]

Rosco Bodine - 9-12-2007 at 16:56

@jpsmith123

I think this was the one caught my notice

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2007.06.066

Here's other ones you might like too

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jpowsour.2007.01.072

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0022-0728(02)00642-3

Xenoid - 9-12-2007 at 17:11

I just went down to check on my remaining Co - nitrate concentrate which I had left in the fridge, at about 0 oC. It has crystallised nicely after about 3 or 4 days, leaving about 40 mls of supernatant liquid (containing impurities...;) ) which could be poured off, and the crystals drained. They really are a pleasing colour! And not so difficult to crystallise after all.

Image shows cobalt nitrate hexahydrate crystals in the bottom of the SS evaporating saucepan. Diameter of crystal mass is ~ 13cm, depth is about 4mm.

CoNitrate-Xtals.jpg - 39kB

jpsmith123 - 9-12-2007 at 17:35

Xenoid if you have some Co Sulfate left and some boric acid, you could try that cathodic electrodeposition formula. Who knows, it may work like they claim it does!

I'm going to order some Co(NO3)2 tomorrow, but it will likely be a week to ten days before I have it.

As far as the microwave oven thing goes, I think I will try it. Unfortunately my cheapo "Chefmate" 0.7 ft^3, 700 Watt piece-of-junk from Target just died about one week ago (after only 3 months of light use). The next Christmas-sale sub $40 oven I see, I will buy, just for purposes of testing this idea.

Rosco Bodine - 9-12-2007 at 18:38

This is pure speculation , but an idea which
just might work .

Instead of the bronzing filler made from
TiH2 plus Co(NO3)2 , I have an idea for a possible
alternative material which would be more OTC
and perhaps would work nearly as well .

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?goto=lastp...

The residue from ignition of the cobalt doped fuel and active alumina precursor , could be further digested with cobalt nitrate in acetone or alcohol , painted onto the anode having the initial cobalt spinel interface and baked .

Twospoons - 9-12-2007 at 18:46

@jpsmith : hold on to that dead microwave - it is bound to have a good transformer in it. If you have a variac, you could make a variable power microwave - use the spare tranny for magnetron heater supply, then run the bias on a second tranny powered from the variac. Then you should have much better heat control.

Dammit, I had a link to a page where a guy used this trick to power an e-beam melter in a vacuum deposition chamber - there was a lovely schematic.

dann2 - 9-12-2007 at 20:23

Hello,

Hope to get on the Co Oxide bandwagon tomorrow. It will make a change from the DTO/LD bandwagon.

What impurities are likely to be in Ceramic store variety Cobalt Carbonate and Zr Oxide.
Will Zr Oxide dissolve in Nitric acid to give Nitrate?

DOT Anode still going strong. Approx. 180 hours.
I am going to start up a Lithium Chlorate (or is it Perchlorate) cell using Li Chloride (made from Lithium Carbonate + HCl) and the DTO anode.
Current denisty on anode will be 200 mA per square cm much more that of now.
Lithium Perchlorate forms easily and in great abundance you know!!!!!!!!

Dann2

not_important - 9-12-2007 at 21:05

Pottery grade cobalt compounds should be pretty clean. As it is used to color ceramics other elements that have their own colour effects would interfere.

ZrO2 doesn't dissolve in anything short of HF. The usual way of getting it into solution is fusion with Na2CO3, leaching and washing of that with water, adding the insoluble portion to concentrated H2SO4 and heating to the fuming stage; on cooling a zirconium sulfate that will dissolve in water is obtained. However the anhydrous sulfate slowly converts to low solubility hydrated forms, so it is best after dissolving it to soon add it to cold aqueous ammonia to precipitate the hydrated hydroxide, which will react with and dissolve in acids.

Xenoid - 9-12-2007 at 22:01

Quote:
Originally posted by dann2

I am going to start up a Lithium Chlorate (or is it Perchlorate) cell using Li Chloride (made from Lithium Carbonate + HCl) and the DTO anode.
Current denisty on anode will be 200 mA per square cm much more that of now.
Lithium Perchlorate forms easily and in great abundance you know!!!!!!!!

Dann2

@ Dann2

Sorry Dann2 I beat you to it, been there, done that, with gouging rods!

I started a Li (per)chlorate cell back on the 27th Nov. It's been running for over 13 days now. I made the LiCl via a fairly stoichiometric conversion of the carbonate with HCl. I ended up with ~250g of LiCl in 800mls H2O after filtering. I boiled this down to 600 mls and used 400 mls in the cell ( ~ 160g LiCl).

The cell is a funny little design, with 4 half-length gouging rods, and a central SS sheet for a cathode. The cell is shown below just after start up. It's running at about 3.5 volts and 3 amps and the electrical parameters haven't changed since I started it. I haven't been paying much attention to it, what with all the Cobalt excitement, other than adding water. I was planning on running it until the gouging rods disintegrated to see if any perchlorate was made. It should happen soon!

Because of the "light weight" of Li adding 3 or 4 oxygens makes a big difference to the weight. I did a rough calculation, based on starting with 100g of Li2CO3 assuming 100% conversions you will get 115g of LiCl, 245g of LiClO3 and 288g of LiClO4 which will convert to 375g KClO4.

I'm not entirely sure what I'm going to do with this cell when it finishes, it seems to be pretty inefficient, when I started it, I had magnetic stirring, but it kept spinning out so I gave up on it!

[Edited on 10-12-2007 by Xenoid]

LithiumCell.jpg - 15kB

Xenoid - 9-12-2007 at 22:38

WARNING NOTE:

Just a short note to anyone doing any Ti etching using hot / boiling conc. HCl.
I've just been doing a bit of tidying up, etc in my garage/workshop/lab and I've noticed all my tools are rustier than normal.
I hadn't thought that the HCl fumes were all that bad, given where I was doing the etching, but obviously it's quite insidious, I should have known better (given that I have spent most of my life involved in operations using boiling HCl [in a fume hood, I might mention]).

Make sure you do this operation outside or in a fume hood if you have one!

dann2 - 10-12-2007 at 12:26

Hello,

Tidy cell, not able to see the humurous side of it, but never mind.
I presume the picture of the Cell was taken just after you made it. (No black mess)!!!
The patent states that current density should be between 150 and 250mA per square cm. Perhaps it is not important. The patent used Pt as the anode anyways so it probably does not apply to C or DTO or whatever we are using.
The most colourful version of the patent on the net is here:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Campus/5361/chlorate/...

I will be an extremly angry and bitter little man for a month or so since I was beaten to it, but that's life.

Will be using DTO so perhaps it may be interesting. Was going to use graphite (thankfully I did not) but the DTO was to hand and handier.

I guess the Zr Nitrate project is not as simply as I had speculated. :(

Dann2

Xenoid - 10-12-2007 at 14:03

Quote:
I will be an extremly angry and bitter little man for a month or so since I was beaten to it, but that's life.

Yeah... sorry to drop that one on you Dann2. No one said they were doing it, so I went ahead.

I guess the cell is "funny" queer not "funny" humorous! It's just a bit different to my normal design, when I finished it, I found the damn lid kept popping out so I had to tie it on with the plastic straps!

I was going to start a Li (per)chlorate thread but never got around to it, because of the Cobalt.

I haven't done much lately, I've been recycling some cobalt nitrate and sulphate solutions (too expensive to throw away). Also making some more manganese nitrate (..ugh) when I try to concentrate it, it decomposes and starts to turn brown, I've stabilised it with HNO3 and will concentrate further, hopefully get some crystals!

Xenoid - 10-12-2007 at 14:31

Quote:
That's a good setup , but you could drill a 1/16" hole through the rod very close to the top and then put a wire
through the hole and bend it aound and back to itself to make suspension loop , hanging the rod like a wind chime
inside the furnace tube .

@ Rosco, I didn't know what I was talking about, I had previously drilled 1mm Ti sheet with an ordinary HSS drill, but assumed it wouldn't go through 10mm, because of what other people were saying in other threads. Well I have just drilled two 3mm holes using a good quality HSS drill and there was no problem at all.

I'm going to adopt your idea and hang the anodes by a fine copper wire loop from the top, my fairly heavy 9.5mm anodes are quite stable, lighter anodes may blow around though!

Rosco Bodine - 10-12-2007 at 16:59

My windchime idea is probably going to bang around
from the airflow if you hang it from one wire and it
isn't stiff enough . Probably better to bend a loop
eyelet in the end of some stiff wire , use one on each side
and put a screw through it , or use some stainless
or solid copper twist tie wire on each side . That should be rigid enough not to swing around . Could use the same fixture as a holder when you are coating it , etching , ect .

With a 3 mm hole you could wrap a flat ribbon of braided fiberglass tube like they use for bundling wiring harnesses
around the rod end and stick it inside a large enough tubing to be a snug fit , having a 3 mm hole to match bored in the larger tube , and stick a cotter key or put
a screw through the assembly . That would be rigid
and it would be thermal breaked enough it wouldn't
heatsink that short covered end of the rod so much .

dann2 - 10-12-2007 at 20:23

Hello,

The dreaded HCl will indeed corrode everying around (as will a (Per)Chlorate mist). I have gone through about one gallon of 12% HCl keeping my 'etching pot' topped up.
It would be nice and quick to have HF and Nitric acid as below. The Ti needs only about 15 seconds to etch.
No heating or fumes (I presume?). Would be dangerous stuff though. I think you can purchase the HF from shops that do glass etching (fancy windows).

From US 4142005
The etching solution used in some of the examples below was prepared by mixing 25 ml analytical reagent hydrofluoric acid (48% HF by wt), 175
ml analytical reagent nitric acid (approximately 70% NHO.sub.3 by wt), and 300 ml deionized H.sub.2 O.

also from above pat:
(regarding the large final bake)
In the following examples, the "brushing" following the dipping operation is done to avoid "runs" and to assure a smooth uniform coating. An
extended heating period of the final coat anneals and densifies the coating.

About to start some Cobalt baking via above patent. It takes quite a time to get Co Carbonate to fully react with Nitric acid. It's the last little bit (as the acid solution gets neutral) that takes all the time.

Dann2

not_important - 10-12-2007 at 20:40

You actually want to have a little excess carbonate, even adding a few percent excess at the end. Add a little H2O2 and boil gently for a few minutes, let it cool, and filter. Iron and manganese stay behind with the excess carbonate, as do some other metals if present in only small amounts. This is a standard method of preparing decent purity salts from sources of unknown purity.

Xenoid - 10-12-2007 at 22:13

Hi guys,

Here's my latest Co oxide (spinel) anode, it's smoooooth, shiny and HARD.

Despite what I said in various previous posts I decided I had to go the full way and see what 12 coats looked like - they look good! It took most of the afternoon but I think it was worth it!

I used a 50% cobalt nitrate hexahydrate solution.

A few minor differences from the previous anodes;

1) The anode was hydrided after etching.

2) The anode was hung from the top of the heat gun tube, this is less clumsy and gives better access than my previous arrangement. I think the heat distribution is probably a little more even as well.

3) I gave the anode a bit of a wipe (almost a polish) with a soft cotton cloth, between coats, to remove loose dust. My feeling about this was that it would help to make the coating more compact.

4) To speed things up, I did a few minutes cooling in the fridge, and then when still warm to the touch, did the dipping!

I did a quick check to see that it was working by putting it in a perchlorate cell. I set the current density to 50mA/cm^2 voltage was quite low, 3.7 volts, bubbles and ozone.

I'm open to suggestions as to what to do with this anode (NOTHING RUDE PLEASE). I would like to put it back in a perchlorate cell, as, quite frankly, I think chlorate cells are a "piece of piss" for these anodes or will eventually prove to be so!... :P
If anyone has any suggestions for a simple baked on doped overcoat I will try it, otherwise I'll just put it in "as is" and run it to destruction..:o

The other 4 coat anode in the chlorate cell is still running fine, the coat is wholly intact, but is possibly starting to thin in places (like my hair). There seem to be a few more bits of black floating around. It's been going for 4 days and 6 hours now.

Co-Anode4.jpg - 9kB

Xenoid - 11-12-2007 at 00:15

Quote:

have gone through about one gallon of 12% HCl keeping my 'etching pot' topped up.
It would be nice and quick to have HF and Nitric acid as below. The Ti needs only about 15 seconds to etch.

From US 4142005
The etching solution used in some of the examples below was prepared by mixing 25 ml analytical reagent hydrofluoric acid (48% HF by wt), 175
ml analytical reagent nitric acid (approximately 70% NHO.sub.3 by wt), and 300 ml deionized H.sub.2 O.

Dann2 - there are products in engineering and welding supplies shops, called pickling pastes and liquids. They are used to remove black oxide stains and build-up after welding of stainless steel. They leave a satin like etched surface. I have noticed them before, because they contain mainly HNO3 and HF. Here's an example of such a product from here in NZ, it's called "Chromebright";

https://pgw100.portal.gases.boc.com/boc_sp/nz/safety/0177.pd...

I'll pick some up when I'm in town next, and give it a try. It will take longer than 15 secs., but if it works in 1 or 2 minutes that would be quite good! If it's a paste, one could have it in a tall plastic container and just poke the rod down into it. If one is using Ti sheet or mesh it can be painted on!

Rosco Bodine - 11-12-2007 at 01:20

If you have some copper nitrate and/or some nickel nitrate
you might test the alternating layer scheme where a different Co bimetal spinel , with copper or nickel , is applied over the first coat of monometal Co spinel ,
then another "buffer layer" of monometal Co spinel ,
then another layer of Co bimetal spinel ...and so on .
This would be pure experimentation to see if indeed
the predicted diffusion would occur between subsequent
layers of differing chemistry spinels which would chemically
react to possibly better fuse each layer with the next ,
hopefully reducing the porosity and increasing the density
of the sequenced coatings , and possibly effecting a
bi-electrode benefit to the outer coating as well .

If there's one simplest and logical spinel related experiment to do , this would seem to be it . These Co bimetal spinels
are reportedly tougher and more conductive than the monometal spinel , especially the cobalt nickel bimetal spinel .
But this is a generalization , and I have no data on this specific to perchlorate production efficency .

I'll check the ratios of Co(NO3)2 to the Cu and Ni nitrates
to be sure , but IIRC it was 2:1 for the mix . Zn is another one reported to give good results . I would hold the maximum amount of the substituent to perhaps 10%
less than the exact 2:1 , so there is a little excess of the
Co monometal spinel , going with a ratio of 2 : 0.9 for example instead of approaching closer to the theoretical .
Having excess of the simple second oxide not transformed into the bimetal spinel could be counterproductive , but having less than the theoretical complete reaction could still largely have the benefit expected for the diffusion layer between the differing composition spinels .

HF is a good material to avoid if possible .

[Edited on 11-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

jpsmith123 - 11-12-2007 at 04:11

Quote:

If anyone has any suggestions for a simple baked on doped overcoat I will try it, otherwise I'll just put it in "as is" and run it to destruction..:o

I would suggest adding some TiO2 powder into your Co Nitrate. Being that we're experimenting, why not give it a try one time?

Conclusions from the Mn-Co Oxide Coatings Power Point presentation

jpsmith123 - 11-12-2007 at 10:58

- The chemistry and morphology of coatings can be
manipulated by adjusting deposition parameters.

- As-deposited Mn-Co oxide nanocrystals have a metastable
rocksalt-type structure.

- Rocksalt-to-spinel phase transformation is induced at
temperatures higher than 500°C.

- Mn-Co-O coatings can improve the oxidation resistance of
stainless steel substrates.

- During annealing at 800°C, Cr and Fe diffuse into the Mn-
Co-O coating.

####################################

Their electrodeposition bath contained CoSO4, MnSO4 and 0.2M disodium EDTA.

Temp= 25-90 degrees C; I= 5-50mA/cm2; pH= 6.0

See attached related paper.

[Edited on by jpsmith123]

Attachment: Paper.pdf (358kB)
This file has been downloaded 988 times

dann2 - 11-12-2007 at 11:16

Hello.

Good Anode, I have kept the picture for my ambum (if you don't mind)!

When you say that a Chlorate cell is a 'piece of piss', do you mean that the anode will make Chlorate easily or will easily stand up to the Chlorate cell (or both).
I am inclined to think that a Perchlorate cell is not any more corrosive to anodes (except Graphite) that an Chlorate cell . I fact a Chlorate cell is harder on Lead Dioxide but perhaps I am talking through my hat, guessing really. In industry ALL Chlorate cells are pH controlled and this (I think) makes them less corrosive generally. Your Chlorate cell will not be pH controlled. Of course if an anode does not make Perchlorate then there is little point in worrying if it corrodes or not in a perchlorate cell.
Will Cobalt Oxide make Perchlorate? I reported some time back that it did but then later when I discovered that my plated-on Co Oxide coat had worn off, I was not 100% sure if it was the Co Oxide or the exposed DTO that made the Perchlroate.
Go with a Perchlorate cell and see will it make Perchlorate at a reasonable effeciency.

Of course if you are looking for a good solid overcoat, you could try a good thick coat of a substance with a formula of..................................PbO<SUB>2</SUB>. :P

You could also try a Chlorate cell and try to go all the way to a low concentration of Chlorate (to end of Perchlorate cell) to see has Cobalt Oxide 'HOLY GRAIL' status. :D

Still drying my Co Nitrate crystals to weigh them.

The paste is a good idea. Seen it too. Will try. No fumes, no heating, fast, OTC, ....QED.

Dann2

Xenoid - 11-12-2007 at 11:51

Quote:

When you say that a Chlorate cell is a 'piece of piss', do you mean that the anode will make Chlorate easily or will easily stand up to the Chlorate cell (or both).

Still drying my Co Nitrate crystals to weigh them.

"piece of piss" - Australian / New Zealand saying, it means "easy"

@ Dann2 - Well I think my first attempt, 4 coat anode is lasting very well in a chlorate cell. I think that with a full coating, doping, different layers and treatments it will not be too difficult to make an anode that goes full distance in a chlorate cell or lasts for 2 or 3 cells.

On the other hand, the Co oxide anode only lasted 14 hours in a perchlorate cell, and even then I'm not sure it was producing perchlorate efficiently. So I think more experimentation is needed with the perchlorate aspect, I'm sure we can sort out any problems with the chlorate... ;)

BTW - I wouldn't worry about trying to dry the cobalt nitrate, I just used moist, drained crystals, with an equal weight of water. I don't think the concentration of the dipping solution is all "that" critical!

[Edited on 11-12-2007 by Xenoid]

Chlorinator Disassembly

Xenoid - 11-12-2007 at 14:35

Well, I decided to have a go at disassembling the chlorinator top! The blue plastic cover came off fairly easily, with a bit of cutting, exposing the epoxy potting medium. This stuff is tough and brittle at the same time. It cuts with a hacksaw, but when you hit it with a hammer and chisel it splits with a conchoidal fracture and flies in your face. I guess it's like the epoxy dentists use for fillings. I've managed to get about a third of the way through it and expose the bent over tops of two electrodes. I've also been able to remove a 12mm x 100mm Ti strip that was being used as a support and some sort of earth/guard electrode. In the image it is shown lying across the top of the assembly. It will be useful as a test electrode for coatings. I think I can get this all apart, eventually!

ChlorinatorEnd.jpg - 11kB

chloric1 - 11-12-2007 at 15:19

Quote:
Quote:
[

On the other hand, the Co oxide anode only lasted 14 hours in a perchlorate cell, and even then I'm not sure it was producing perchlorate efficiently. So I think more experimentation is needed with the perchlorate aspect, I'm sure we can sort out any problems with the chlorate... ;)

When you say that the anode only lasted 14 hours in the perchlorate cell, are you talking about the one with only 4 coats. I think that is what you said but I want to eliminate any doubt. Rosco's suggestion seems worthwhile if anything then after that then there is plating the cobalt anode with PbO2.

Xenoid - 11-12-2007 at 15:56

Quote:
Originally posted by chloric1
When you say that the anode only lasted 14 hours in the perchlorate cell, are you talking about the one with only 4 coats. I think that is what you said but I want to eliminate any doubt. Rosco's suggestion seems worthwhile if anything then after that then there is plating the cobalt anode with PbO2.

It was my third anode, the one with 8 coats (but the dipping solution was only 25%). I guess the coat thickness should have been the same as the 4 coat anode (50% dipping solution). It basically just wore away, it didn't flake off.

I'm wondering how the wear rate relates to coating thickness and whether it's linear or not (hopefully not). If it's linear and a four coat anode lasts for 4 days, then a six coat anode will last 6 days etc. etc. Hopefully it's more like 4 for 4, 6 for 8, 8 for 16, 10 for 32 or possibly much, much, better than this. It's just going to be matter of testing and more testing.

I'm inclined to put my latest 12 coat anode in a perchlorate cell and just let it run, this way we can get some good basic information about optimum numbers of coats and the way they build up wear resistance - is it a linear or perhaps an exponential process! I think it's best to do this "basic research" first on the "plain" Co oxide, before trying more exotic procedures. The more contributing, the faster this will get done! If we don't have this initial basic research it's going to be hard to make comparisons between different procedures.

If everyone who is having a go at this could stick to a 50% Co nitrate solution and bake at 370 oC. we can soon build up some baseline information on the longevity or otherwise of simple Co oxide coatings. If some could try 6, 8 or 10 coats in both chlorate and perchlorate. We can then plot some curves to which we can compare "modified procedures" - and there is literally no end of them.... :D

dann2 - 11-12-2007 at 16:37

Hello,

That's the problem with anodes. Making them (let they be good or bad) takes a relatively short space of time, testing takes months.
I have just completed two anodes. They each received 7 coats. (12 coats is for the hardened brigade only). One solution contained 2.5 moles Co(NO3)2 6H2O per liter,
15.5grams in 21cc solution.
The other anode was made with solution that contained 4.4 moles of Co(NO3)2:6H2O per liter (181grams in 143cc solution).
7 coats, 7 bakes at 380/400C for 10 minutes per bake. The anodes were given a final one hour bake at 390c.
The Ti substrate was etched in HCl for a few hours but they were washed and left in the atmosphere for about 16 hours before coating. (My solution was not ready, roll eyes icon here).

DTO in Perchlorate cell still going ok. I am going to leave it there to see what level it will drop the Chlorate down too.

Some patents I have not seen here (I think) are:
3706644 Regeneration of Spinel Electrodes (may be interesting, have not read).
3773555 is interesting. It shows you how to plate on a controlled TiO2 coat onto Ti using Sulphuric acid. May be useful.

Regarding hair styles:
The 3 hair styles of Man are:
1: Parted
2: Unparted
3: Departed

Dann2

[Edited on 12-12-2007 by dann2]
Second edit changed Carbonate to Nitrate

[Edited on 12-12-2007 by dann2]

Twospoons - 11-12-2007 at 16:56

@Xenoid: the way to attack epoxy is to get it nice and hot with your heat gun - this will soften it to a jellyish consistancy, which can then be easily dug out with a screw driver. I've used this trick to "un-pot" high voltage transformers (as used in electric fences).

Beautiful looking anode, btw!

Xenoid - 11-12-2007 at 17:00

Quote:
One solution contained 2.5 moles CoCO3 6H2O per liter,
15.5grams in 21cc solution.
The other anode was made with solution that contained 4.4 moles of CoCo3:6H2O per liter (181grams in 143cc solution).

Eh!..what... Is that Co nitrate or Co carbonate.... an inauspicious start...:o

The 4 coat anode in the chlorate is still OK after 5 days, the electrical parameters are still the same as when it started. The anode is definately eroding though, there are some thin areas, and there is now more black gunk floating around. I think it may only last for a few more days!

What is really needed is a set up for doing multiple anodes, say 6 at a time. I'm still looking at toaster ovens in this regard. I've had two over 300 oC. without adding extra elements, so it looks promising!

Xenoid - 11-12-2007 at 17:06

Quote:
Originally posted by Twospoons
@Xenoid: the way to attack epoxy is to get it nice and hot with your heat gun - this will soften it to a jellyish consistancy, which can then be easily dug out with a screw driver. I've used this trick to "un-pot" high voltage transformers (as used in electric fences).

Beautiful looking anode, btw!

Yeah! I was thinking of getting a gas burner to it, and burning it off, but the smell is awfull. This epoxy is really hard, it's like porcelain, I've never seen anything like it before. I'll give the hot air a go!

Xenoid - 11-12-2007 at 18:17

Thanks 'spoons, I've finally got them apart. The epoxy never got to a "jellyish" state, it softened slightly, and then went a bit crumbly. I'm glad it wasn't a transformer I was removing, I had to apply a lot of heat!

Here's the separated electrodes, I will leave them like this until I come up with a cell design, at least each individual electrode can now be cut off, and have its own reasonably long, bent over attachment tag!

ChlorinatorElectrodes.jpg - 19kB

dann2 - 11-12-2007 at 21:10

Hello,

That should be Nitrate, I edited the post.

@ Not_important.
If I was to fuze Sodium Carbonate with my Zr Oxide what ratio should I use?
Will I be able to fuze in a test tube is it more a job for a crucible or perhaps a stainless steel bowl (handiest for me).

@Xenoid. Is there still an MMO coating on the Ti electrodes do you think. It was a damm good find IMHO.

What is the suituation regarding Co contamination in (Per)Chlorate for pyrotechnics? Is there as safety issue.

Cheers

Dann2

Xenoid - 11-12-2007 at 21:30

Quote:
@Xenoid. Is there still an MMO coating on the Ti electrodes do you think. It was a damm good find IMHO.

Yeah, I mentioned earlier, the two outside electrodes have 100% on their outside surfaces, because they would never have taken part in the electrolysis process. There is some coat on the others, not sure how much, I will experiment!

Rosco Bodine - 11-12-2007 at 21:42

Monometal Cobalt spinel is not likely to be the *complete*
solution by itself *alone* , either as the ultimate interface material or as an operable working anode coating .

However , because cobalt spinel is so promising by itself , it is probably stirring up some exaggerated hopes concerning what it can do , beyond what it is actually very good at doing , which is producing highly conductive interfaces .

More reasonably cobalt spinel should be regarded as an exceptional component in a larger scheme where it
simplifies things and improves performance . It is not
a complete solution itself alone , but only a principal
ingredient in a greater scheme which is a synergistic system .

If you like what you are seeing with plain cobalt nitrate
baked onto etched and/or hydrided titanium , then
try a 7:3 molar mixture of cobalt nitrate with nickel nitrate ,
and you are probably going to like the result of that *mixture* even better .

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?goto=lastp...

What should happen at the interface is a 40% reduction
in voltage for the same current density , and a 335% increase in longevity , for the 7:3 bimetal spinel as compared with the monometal spinel "control anode" ,
at least on a non-hydrided substrate . The above linked
paper attributed this in part to a greater suppression of
the growth of the TiO2 during baking of the interface layer
so the effect may not be so immediately evident in the case of a TiH2 substrate pretreatment . However , the
one thing it does suggest is a lower porosity and a higher
chemical resistance for the bimetal spinel , irregardless
of the substrate pretreatment .

Applying simply one or two coats of the spinel accomplishes the task of producing a highly conductive interface , which is arguably better than anything even
Ruthenium can provide in a "chlorides precursor" scheme
where the substrate is attacked , with or without Tin Oxide
and with or without Antimony adding more complexity .

You see , having a highly conductive and stable *spinel* interface on the Ti substrate dispenses with the complications presented by chlorides *entirely* ,
and whatever coating and layering schemes and chemistry
may be contemplated , can very likely be applied subsequently , so long as it doesn't disrupt the excellent
interface which has been achieved by the spinel .

This is like a starting point and foundation sort of interface
which can be a standard surface preparation for any
wearing anode coatings of any sort which may be wished to be applied on top of and encasing that spinel interface .

So in that much , no , cobalt spinel is *not* some sort of
"holy grail" anode coating , but it is more like something
of a holy grail substrate interface component at the very least , and depending upon the possible catalytic properties which some spinels might have with regards to
perchlorate production , perhaps then it might have that greater status , but unlikely to be so for the monometal
cobalt spinel . Even the Dow patents are clear about this . So there is definitely something of value here ,
but certainly cobalt spinel alone is not the whole story
or the whole perchlorate anode solution by itself .
But as a component , enhanced by mixture with other things , it could be a major *part* of a reasonably permanent anode . But barring some miracle that
a hydrided substrate has somehow transformed the
monometal spinel into a permanent anode when
some magic number of coats has been applied , then
it should be expected that this coating too will erode
at some observable rate for the monometal cobalt spinel "control anode" . This "control anode" is not
the end product "perchlorate anode" and should not
be expected to be , even though it probably can make
perchlorate and last for awhile , however long that may
be .

In all likelihood an SnO2 layer is still going to be needed
only now it shouldn't have to be used as the first interface layer , nor should it necessarily require antimony at all ,
nor should it require chlorides based precursors although
they may be intermediates if solder is the raw material .
One or two coats of the Sn++++ / Sn++ polymer , even completely *absent* the Sb component , or any other of the hydro-gel Sn related materials , but probably better the nitrate or ammonum stannate materials , should work just fine as a dip and bake to seal the porosity and lock down the spinel interface. It would seem possible that even precipitated SnO2 or its hydrates could be used
as a modifier oxide also in mixture with the nitrate spinel precursors .

@Xenoid

What alloy of Ti rod are you using for your experiments ?

[Edited on 12-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Sure isn't a holy grail...

Xenoid - 12-12-2007 at 10:24

I put my beautiful, smooooth, shiny and HARD anode with 12 coats in a perchlorate cell! It has been running for 15 hours now. A lot of black material has come off, and a thin patch has appeared.... :(

This cell initially ran at 3.7 volts and 1.12 Amps (50mA/cm^2) and seemed to produce a lot of bubbles and ozone! The voltage has now dropped to 3.6 volts, (at 1.12 Amps) it is only producing a thin stream of small bubbles, so it looks like it is making perchlorate. I am very disappointed in the way plain Co oxide is performing (lasting) in a perchlorate cell, although it does seem to be making the right stuff! Perhaps I rubbed off too much oxide, with my vigourous polishing between coats!

The 4 coat anode in the chlorate cell is still going well, although the current has dropped slightly ( 1.87 --->1.84 Amps). I feel the "end is nigh" for this brave little performer, and it's downhill rapidly from herein!

Rosco Bodine - 12-12-2007 at 10:35

No real surprise there :D

Cobalt spinel has never been purported nor advertised
as being a working anode coating . It is an interface
material , a TiO2 dielectric nullifier :D , a rectifying junction
discombobulation reagent :D , anodic current facilitator ,
as opposed to an irish tater .:o:D ;):P

Sooooo what alloy Ti rod is being used for your redundant proof of this ?

Xenoid - 12-12-2007 at 10:48

Quote:
@Xenoid

What alloy of Ti rod are you using for your experiments ?

I wouldn't have a clue, I bought it from some guy on the local trade site. He owns a sports store, so he may have been importing Ti products for bikes, experimental fishing rods, etc. He's a bit paranoid and wont tell me anything.

I already answered this, but forgot to post it, sorry....:)

Rosco Bodine - 12-12-2007 at 11:06

It's probably Ti-6Al-4V which is pretty much the most common alloy from all indications .

I sure hope that the enthusiasm for the Co related
technology isn't squashed by the realization it is
what it is and is good for what it is good for ,
useful as an interface and a system component .

I think there has been a bit of overexcitement about
the potential for Co spinel which has to be put in perspective in order to make practical use of it ,
with respect to its properties and limitations .
What it does do , it does very well .

Xenoid - 12-12-2007 at 12:12

Quote:
It's probably Ti-6Al-4V which is pretty much the most common alloy from all indications .

I sure hope that the enthusiasm for the Co related
technology isn't squashed by the realization it is
what it is and is good for what it is good for ,
useful as an interface and a system component .

I guess that is 6% Al and 4% V, what is the composition of electrode Ti, any difference! I gather Niobium and Ti/Nb are in use!

Well I still have plenty of enthusiasm...:D

These have been my most successful atempts yet! We are just scratching the surface (no pun intended). I still have heaps of things I want to try, I am just getting some "exotic" nitrates together first. I think it is important to get the basic techniques correct first! For, example my first coat, always looks crappy, and this is the most important one. It is probably easier to see defects, than with later coats which are over black oxide. It may just be useful to try a series of tests (using different conditions) with single coats., to see which performs best.

jpsmith123 - 12-12-2007 at 12:42

When I get some MnSO4, I intend to try anodic electrodeposition of Mn-Co-O (as per the paper I uploaded) followed by some kind of heat treatment.

I'm told by one of the authors of one of the papers that Co3O4 doesn't stick very well but it's better when co-deposited with MnO2.

Another thing to try of course is TiO2 powder dispersed in the Co(NO3)2 solution...analogous to what Beer did.

If neither of these things work then I'll probably give up on cobalt myself.

dann2 - 12-12-2007 at 12:58

Hello,

Quote:
No real surprise there :D

Cobalt spinel has never been purported nor advertised
as being a working anode coating . It is an interface
material , a TiO2 dielectric nullifier :D , a rectifying junction
discombobulation reagent :D , anodic current facilitator ,
as opposed to an irish tater .:o:D ;):P

Sooooo what alloy Ti rod is being used for your redundant proof of this ?

Regarding the Discombobulator, my Uncle used to use one of these very useful devices but the wheel eventually fell off it.

The patent have shown (pure) Co Oxide (making Chlorine anyways) to have worked for 250+ days continous with only a small rise in voltage. I call that success. They were not making Perchlorate though. Perhpas it is much 'easier ' on an anode making Chlorine in a controlled Chlorine cell as opposed to making Chlorate in a non controlled cell (High pH). None of the Co Oxide patents have used the Co Oxide to make Chlorate (in a controlled cell or other wise) that I am aware of.
Some of the patents have sang the praised of Zr in conjunction with Co in the spinel but the examples at the back of same did not show a Zr containing spinel doing anything out of the ordinary that I could see.
The patents are obsessed with voltage accross cell = power used. This is not so important to us. We want a long lasting anode, a volt or so is not a problem.

Zr is the answer I tell you....

Dann2

Rosco Bodine - 12-12-2007 at 13:17

Quote:
When I get some MnSO4, I intend to try anodic electrodeposition of Mn-Co-O (as per the paper I uploaded) followed by some kind of heat treatment.

I'm told by one of the authors of one of the papers that Co3O4 doesn't stick very well but it's better when co-deposited with MnO2.

Adhesion isn't the problem . Porosity and chemical resistance
are the issues , along with of course conductivity and catalytic properties .
Quote:

Another thing to try of course is TiO2 powder dispersed in the Co(NO3)2 solution...analogous to what Beer did.

Why TiO2 ? TiH2 powder instead maybe , but why should more of the same "interface" be desired when the interface material will be a lowered quality of the same material , only made thicker . Wouldn't it be better to invest experimentation in something different , instead of more of the same ?
Quote:

Then you might as well quit now because that TiO2 idea
is unlikely to go anywhere and when it fails as expected
it won't have done anything except confirm an expected
result for a way that Co spinel is unlikely to be useful .

Rosco Bodine - 12-12-2007 at 13:32

Quote:
Hello,
The patent have shown (pure) Co Oxide (making Chlorine anyways) to have worked for 250+ days continous with only a small rise in voltage. I call that success.

Yeah if chlorine is what you want to make , then a chlorine selective anode would be great for that . Hmmmm....
last time I checked it wasn't chlorine that were are wanting to make .
Quote:

They were not making Perchlorate though. Perhpas it is much 'easier ' on an anode making Chlorine in a controlled Chlorine cell as opposed to making Chlorate in a non controlled cell (High pH). None of the Co Oxide patents have used the Co Oxide to make Chlorate (in a controlled cell or other wise) that I am aware of.

Yeah I think an oxygen selective anode , and better yet a coating which is catalytic for perchlorate , would be the idea .
Quote:

Some of the patents have sang the praised of Zr in conjunction with Co in the spinel but the examples at the back of same did not show a Zr containing spinel doing anything out of the ordinary that I could see.

You are reading more into the patent than is there .
All it said was that among the several modifier oxides
that the Zr was "preferred" ..... preferred by who and for what use ? It didn't disclose that .
Quote:

The patents are obsessed with voltage accross cell = power used. This is not so important to us. We want a long lasting anode, a volt or so is not a problem.

Correct , but you have to interpret the data for what it says , not read into it what you want to find . The charted results
are showing potentials to show the efficiency of the interface materials as conductors , which allows for as little waste of
power as possible , so that more of the energy goes into conversion of the electrolyte , and isn't wasted power as heat warming the resistive coatings .
Quote:

Zr is the answer I tell you....

Dann2

Don't let Zr become your new Sb , as both will be a stone in your shoe .

Bismuth is a perchlorate specific catalyst in anode coatings . I did mention not to throw away the SnO2 just yet .

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=1979%2F00842&IA=W...

jpsmith123 - 12-12-2007 at 15:17

Quote:

Adhesion isn't the problem .

Adhesion seems to be an issue with the anodic electrodeposits I've tried (and I think Xenoid would agree with me). If the oxide can be easily wiped off with a rag, why bother even putting it in a cell? (IIRC, Beer mentions adhesion as being a problem wrt noble metal oxides on titanium metal).

Quote:

Porosity and chemical resistance are the issues , along with of course conductivity and catalytic properties .

Once you get past the threshold issue of having it adhere to the substrate in the first place, then, yes.

Quote:

Why TiO2 ? TiH2 powder instead maybe , but why should more of the same "interface" be desired when the interface material will be a lowered quality of the same material , only made thicker . Wouldn't it be better to invest experimentation in something different , instead of more of the same ?

AFAIK, none of us have yet done anything analogus to the examples given in Beer's patent #3632498. Since this patent apparently represents what may be the most industrially successful anode so far, it seems worth it to me to give it a try.

Quote:

Quote:

Then you might as well quit now because that TiO2 idea
is unlikely to go anywhere and when it fails as expected
it won't have done anything except confirm an expected
result for a way that Co spinel is unlikely to be useful .

Perhaps, but I really think it's a little too early to say that the TiO2 idea won't work.

Rosco Bodine - 12-12-2007 at 15:28

Look at the claims page on the patent above where
TiO2 was used as a modifier oxide in that coating scheme ,
and notice that Ruthenium goes right along with it .

Cobalt spinel is *not* an equivalent substitute for ruthenium . It works on titanium by way of an entirely
different method involving *interface* formation .
It does *not* form a solid solution with TiO2 as an isomorph RuO2 , but works by a different mechanism
involving spinel layers a few angstroms thick , not
diffusion layers that are microns thick .

I don't know and can't conceive how you think these mechanisms are interchangeable , no way , no how , not even maybe . That is why TiH2 powder was used along
with cobalt spinel , so that the spinel could fill the grain structure as a matrix of thin layer bonding the aggregate
of TiH2 or suboxide bimetal spinel reaction product .
It won't work with TiO2 , and if it did , then why even bother to etch and hydride the Ti substrate in the first place if you expect the TiO2 is such a swell mix with the
spinel ? What you are proposing doesn't make sense .

The first part of what you were saying about using Mn
as a component *does* make sense , because Mn along
with Fe , Ni , Bi , Pb and some other things can increase the oxygen overpotential , which is needed to be done for
a perchlorate anode .

jpsmith123 - 12-12-2007 at 16:03

At this point, I'm more concerned with empirical results than I am with trying to identify a mechanism.

If you look at patent #3632498, you'll see that Beer mixes TiO2 up with everything but the kitchen sink (e.g., gold, iron, lead, ruthenium, etc). He claims:

"Iron oxide itself is highly sensitive to hydrochloric acid at room temperature, and so
are several titanium oxides. It has been found, however, that when a CO-precipitated mixture of iron oxide and titanium oxide is applied to a basis of conductive material it is only affected by hydrochloric acid at room temperature to a very smalI extent.

Similarly, ruthenium oxide coated on a titanium base, connected as an anode in an
alkali metal chloride electrolysis, which anode is contacted with the amalgam formed in a mercury cell, loses a part of its thickness after a prolonged period of electrolysis, because the reductive properties of the amalgam convert the ruthenium oxide into metallic ruthenium, and the metallic ruthenium is readily dissolved in the amalgam
from the surface of the titanium and is not resistant to the electrolyte. Co-precipitated mixed oxides of titanium oxide and ruthenium oxide, however, which are in contact with such an amalgam are resistant to the amalgam because these oxides when in mixed-crystal form are not reduced and so do not dissolve in the amalgam or in the
generated chlorine".

I don't know if it makes sense, all I know is that one of the most successful inventors claims that it works; so I'm just saying, I think it's worth a try.

Rosco Bodine - 12-12-2007 at 16:27

You aren't saying the same thing as the patent is describing when you talk about mixing already formed TiO2 as a filler with Co(NO3)2 . Beer is talking about *Coprecipitation* of isomorphous oxides which then
fuse to solid solutions , which is different .
What beer is talking about would involve using
a precursor for the TiO2 , not the already formed TiO2 itself .

jpsmith123 - 12-12-2007 at 16:41

Well, yeah, but then he goes ahead and gives examples like XXI, where he uses the already formed oxides.

Rosco Bodine - 12-12-2007 at 16:53

Yeah and he used *Ruthenium* in ex. XXI when that approach is followed , which is exactly what I have been getting at .

Now on the other hand , cobalt aluminate is an example
of a spinel rather than an isomorphous oxides mixture ,
which can coprecipitate , but for this and for the
other MMO's as well , spinel or amorphous solid solutions , it is a pyrolytic process in most cases . You might find
a rare exception , good luck , because the minimum formation temperature is usually a few hundred degrees ,
but a few are lower .

Xenoid - 12-12-2007 at 17:21

Just checked the chlorate cell, after exactly 6 days, the electrical parameters are unchanged. The current had dropped a little before, because I checked it early morning and it had probably cooled down a bit. The coating is starting to thin noticeably!

The perchlorate cell is crap, and will only last a few more hours!

Stop running around like headless chickens, and do some basic systematic studies.

BTW why not try Ruthenium Chloride and Butyl Titanium or whatever, and make a "real" MMO coating, are these chemicals completely unobtainable or prohibitively expensive, you only need a few mls. of soln. to coat an anode. But I believe they will still only be suitable for chlorate. I assume the industrial coatings are optimised for chlorate production, I guess there is no need to produce an anode coating that goes from chlorate to perchlorate in a single step. The chlor-alkali industry is absolutely huge, the perchlorate industry is miniscule in comparison (Rocket propellents, pyrotechnics - anything else?). The perchlorate industry just uses cheap chlorate and uses specialist coated anodes to make perchlorate. There is, from what I can gather, no need, or reason for industry to develop an anode coating that would be capable of going the "whole" way, which is really what amateurs desire. It is more efficient to use two separate processes, each of which is highly optimised........ not sure where I was going here, I've lost my thread....

Four coats of simple Co oxide has just about got halfway through a chlorate run, it should be able to tweak it a bit to go a full run and beyond. The perchlorate is a bigger problem!

jpsmith123 - 12-12-2007 at 17:32

IIRC, there are other examples in his subsequent patents using preformed oxides...and some of these are not Ruthenium.

In any case, apparently every single example of Beer's involves baking at high temperature. Right now I'm trying to figure out the cheapest and quickest way to bake these things.

Rosco Bodine - 12-12-2007 at 17:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenoid
The perchlorate cell is crap, and will only last a few more hours!

Anticipated result , tracks with literature .
Quote:

Stop running around like headless chickens, and do some basic systematic studies.

Hey , I'm very focused here , and have been studying my ass off while trying to flag what probably won't work and why ,
against what reportedly does work and why , along with
conclusions drawn from both which suggest things worth trying . It doesn't get more systematic . Also have been
obtaining components , even have some things on the way now . These schemes we are contemplating are "real"
MMO anodes , and done right , they should work fine .

Quote:

Four coats of simple Co oxide has just about got halfway through a chlorate run, it should be able to tweak it a bit to go a full run and beyond.

There is little or no reason in the literature to believe that will prove true . I'm am not trying to discourage you , but
that spinel interface is just that , not a complete anode .
It's like driving a car away from the body shop after they put the primer coat on , and saying it's painted good enough
before the finish goes on . Maybe a bit impatient ?:D
Quote:
The perchlorate is a bigger problem!

YGTFR ! :cool:

Rosco Bodine - 12-12-2007 at 17:57

Quote:
IIRC, there are other examples in his subsequent patents using preformed oxides...and some of these are not Ruthenium.

In any case, apparently every single example of Beer's involves baking at high temperature. Right now I'm trying to figure out the cheapest and quickest way to bake these things.

Yeah the temperature of formation for the spinels is precisely what makes Co give favorable results as they tend to develop at much lower temperatures , a third what it takes
for many other spinels that aren't based on cobalt .

Keeping the temperature down , lets the spinel seal off the
Ti at a point where it hasn't been hot enough long enough
to develop a serious TiO2 passivation layer . Co spinels
nip that shit in the bud whereas other spinels might not .
The same is true for the solid solution effect of SnO2 , which
seals off the surface before the passivation layer can grow .

Generally speaking high temperature bakes on Ti are bad ,
especially for the initial coating until the Ti gets a protective layer . So this narrows down the choices significantly of
what goes on first .

I want to post that perchlorate anode related link again

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=1979%2F00842&IA=W...

dann2 - 12-12-2007 at 20:00

Quote:
Hello,

Quote:

If you look at patent #3632498, you'll see that Beer mixes TiO2 up with everything but the kitchen sink (e.g., gold, iron, lead, ruthenium, etc).

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D
Could not agree more. The company he left to go to Diamond Shamrock are still hitting themselves.

Quote:
snip

I don't know if it makes sense, all I know is that one of the most successful inventors claims that it works; so I'm just saying, I think it's worth a try.

Thats the way I am inclined to think. The people who are writing up the patents know alot more regarding what worked and what did not. They have tried lots and lots and lots of combinations, processes, procedures etc etc. They have not just tried what has appeared in the examples at the end. The examples (I am inclined to think) are there most successful results. If they were to document and publish all there failures in the patent(s), each patent would be a large book.

@Rosco
For example the DTO (for anodes) has always had a high Sb content with HCl in the precursor. Many patents repete a very similar precursor/procedure, not all patents coming from the same company/people. They did not come up with that same procursor/procudure by chance. They would have tried %'s above and below or read a previous patent, tried it, and had success. The glass conductive coatings are interesting but not on our pitch (as it were).
Is there anywhere (patents or journal article or elsewhere) where a sol-gel or mixed valency inorganic polymer has been reported as useful as a way to make an anode, experimental, industrial or otherwise?

Looked at the DTO coating under a microscope today and it still looks pretty much the same as it did when it started some 200 hours ago. It is novel, much better than anything before. It may also be improved by those's more skilled in the art.... (o dear, think these's patents are getting to me)

Dann2

dann2 - 12-12-2007 at 21:41

Hello,
Regarding modifier oxides....

The following (exciting) extracts are from US 4142005. A particilar favourite of mine!

Modifier oxides may be incorporated into the Co.sub.3 O.sub.4 coating to provide a tougher coating. The modifier oxide is selected from among the following listed groups:
[SNIP SNIP]
Group IV-B (Titanium, Zirconium, Hafnium)
[SNIP]
The modifier oxide is, preferably, an oxide of cerium, bismuth, lead, vanadium, zirconium, tantalum, niobium, molybdenum, chromium, tin, aluminum, antimony, titanium, or tungsten. Mixtures of modifier oxides may also be used.

Most preferably, the modifier oxide is selected from the group consisting of zirconium, vanadium, and lead, or mixtures of these, with zirconium <FONT COLOR=RED>(STONE IN MY SHOE)</FONT>being the most preferable of these.
[SNIP]

It has been determined that when coatings are applied by a plurality of layer applications, as in the following examples, each subsequent layer is not the same thickness as the preceding layer. Therefore, a coating built-up of, say twelve layers is not twice as thick as a coating built-up of six layers.
[SNIP]
The single-metal spinel of Co3O4 is sufficiently adherent to the substrate for most applications; however, the use of the "modifier oxides" generally improves the adherence, hardness, and toughness of the coating.
[SNIP]
As used herein, the expression "contained", when referring to the modifier oxide in the spinel structures, means that the modifier oxides are essentially homogeneously or evenly distributed through the single-metal spinel structure.

________________________________________-

They do not say that the modifier Oxides give the anode a greater resistance to Chemical attack, but just physical thoughness, hardness.(exactly what that means). Also improves adhesion.

TiO2 (ye old kitchen sink oxide) is included in the modifier list! Zr (Number one, eh), Vanadium and Lead are top of the lot.

Are there any patents etc that specifically state that modifier oxides will make the coating more resistant to Chemical attack in Chlorate, Perchlorte or even Chlorine production?

Dann2

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by dann2]

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by dann2]

it's deja vu all over again

Rosco Bodine - 12-12-2007 at 21:57

Quote:

@Rosco
For example the DTO (for anodes) has always had a high Sb content with HCl in the precursor. Many patents repete a very similar precursor/procedure, not all patents coming from the same company/people. They did not come up with that same procursor/procudure by chance. They would have tried %'s above and below or read a previous patent, tried it, and had success. The glass conductive coatings are interesting but not on our pitch (as it were).
Is there anywhere (patents or journal article or elsewhere) where a sol-gel or mixed valency inorganic polymer has been reported as useful as a way to make an anode, experimental, industrial or otherwise?

Dann2

Well that settles that , huh?

How could I possibly dispute the science .

You are absolutely not reading the patents with comprehension , but are picking out what you want to believe in different terms and out of context from its meaning .

I'm not even going into it more at this point .

And have you checked the price on Zirconyl nitrate ,
or is it that you think just dumpng in some Zirconia ,
maybe cubics well ground to powder is what is needed ,
why not cabosil or just sand ought to work its just a filler right , no real chemistry involved there .:P:D:D:D:D:D:D

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

R.P.Wang - 12-12-2007 at 22:06

Hi guys!
I do not know whether it is suitable to poster here about the PbO2 anode, I really want to share some my experience about anode preparation here.
I have made several PbO2 anodes before.
1, Ti/SnO2+Sb+MnOx/PbO2
2, Ti/SnO2+Sb/PbO2
3, Ti/SnO2+MnOx+Y/PbO2(quite well)
4,Ti/SnO2+CeO2/PbO2(have the shortest service life)
5, Ti/SnO2+sb+CF/PbO2 this one is prepared by others in my lab, (CF=Carbon fiber, :Dthis one is said to be the best)
some one tell me the Ti/SnO2+Sb/alfa-PbO2/belta-PbO2 is also very reliable.
I have made other anode such as DTO,I have not made Co3O4 anode before,(my job is watertreatment using Ti/PbO2 or Ti/SnO2, and study the mechnism of solid solution oxides in anode)I do not know why your guys made Ti/Co3O4 , what it use for? for using in Cl2 evolution or Perchlorate electrosynthesis?

Rosco Bodine - 12-12-2007 at 22:14

It's just a convenient stable conductive interface material for preventing passivation of a Ti substrate .

Working anode coatings like Bi2O3/SnO2 or PbO2 ,
must be used to prevent erosion , and increase oxygen
overvoltage for perchlorate cells .

Potentially other complex spinels may be useful as working anode coatings .

dann2 - 12-12-2007 at 23:36

Hello,

Quote:
Quote:

@Rosco
For example the DTO (for anodes) has always had a high Sb content with HCl in the precursor.
SNIP

Dann2

Well that settles that , huh?

How could I possibly dispute the science .

Yes
Quote:
You are absolutely not reading the patents with comprehension , but are picking out what you want to believe in different terms and out of context from its meaning .

By 'Boo Hooing' the examples in the patents or suggesting that the patents were 'cobbled together in a hurry' you are in fact contradicting people who have spent a hugh part to their professional life making actual successful anodes. Beer (and the patent people we are quoting here) know more about anodes that all the people on this discussion put together. Thats my opinion, feel free to disagree.
I am not trying to suggest that I have comprehension of all the parameters, processes, chemistry etc.

Sol-Gel and Mixed valency inorganic polymer for anodes?
If I see a single example (or a hint of an examply) for a anode I will withdraw the shaking head. :D
That's a good deal.

Quote:

And have you checked the price on Zirconyl nitrate ,
or is it that you think just dumpng in some Zirconia ,
maybe cubics well ground to powder is what is needed ,
why not cabosil or just sand ought to work its just a filler right , no real chemistry involved there .:P:D:D:D:D:D:D

Zirconium Oxide is available from ceramics store. Not_importent suggested a way to convert to Nitrate.

Dann2

dann2 - 12-12-2007 at 23:54

Hello,

Welcome on board R.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by R.P.Wang
Hi guys!
I do not know whether it is suitable to poster here about the PbO2 anode, I really want to share some my experience about anode preparation here.
1, Ti/SnO2+Sb+MnOx/PbO2
2, Ti/SnO2+Sb/PbO2
5, Ti/SnO2+sb+CF/PbO2 this one is prepared by others in my lab, (CF=Carbon fiber, :Dthis one is said to be the best)
I have made other anode such as DTO,I have not made Co3O4 anode before,(my job is watertreatment using Ti/PbO2 or Ti/SnO2, and study the mechnism of solid solution oxides in anode)I do not know why your guys made Ti/Co3O4 , what it use for? for using in Cl2 evolution or Perchlorate electrosynthesis?

We hope it will make Chlorate and Perchlorate. No one here is interested in Chlorine production.

Do you think Co304 on Ti will stand up to a Chlorate or Perchlorate cell. The chlorate cells we run are always at a high pH, that is, they are not pH controlled as in industry.

The Lead Dioxide anode has been a long running project in the amateur world of Electrosynthesis. Very few have been able to produce a stable anode using 'home' construction methods. The hope is that the Ti substrate with a Sn/Sb Oxides undercoat will be successful.
As the original person (Alembic who introduced the LD on Ti with DTO coat to this board) explained:
"Lead Dioxide will oxidize Ti, an interface coat in needed."

I would love to hear of details of the interface coats, LD coating methods etc, etc.

What is the Sb content of your Doped Tin Oxide interface coatings on Ti?

Cheers,
Dann2

Xenoid - 12-12-2007 at 23:55

Quote:
Originally posted by R.P.Wang
Hi guys!
1, Ti/SnO2+Sb+MnOx/PbO2
2, Ti/SnO2+Sb/PbO2

Please enlighten us, we are all ears!

It's all very well, creating exotic anode coatings in a fully equipped laboratory, with access to high purity chemicals and scientific literature. I'm sure any competent chemist can accomplish this! Unfortunately we are not competent chemists (well I'm not anyway)...:D

What we are trying to accomplish is anode coating preparation from relatively easily obtained chemicals, using simple techniques and equipment.
If your procedures satisfy these criteria, please let us know, or start a new thread outlining them. But really it needs to be something the average amateur chemist can do in the kitchen, garage or backyard shed. Anything else isn't really relevant as far as I'm concerned. Most of us don't even have access to lead ccompounds, strong acids or sophisticated facilities for plating.

Again, if what you are doing is simple, please let us know!

Edit: Actually if they are basically PbO2 electrodes, please post your procedures and techniques in the "More on PbO2 Electrodes" thread. We look forward to seeing them... :D

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by Xenoid]

Rosco Bodine - 13-12-2007 at 00:14

Let's just take the "magic Zirconium" here as an example of what I'm trying to point out about how you just don't get it . Why is it you think that among all the "modifier oxides" listed that Zirconium is *the* one of interest , except that the patent , " the teacher " say it is most preferable ? You automatically reckon that's the oxide you must want , just because the patent says so .

Most preferable for what application ? And for what sort of cell ..... most preferable for a perchlorate cell of course because that is *your* interest , not because the patent
says specifically that Zirconium is most preferable for a
*perchlorate* cell anode . In fact if you look at the list
of modifier oxides , there are several like lead , tin , manganese and bismuth that are far more interesting
because they have a known usefulness in *perchlorate*
production .

So why Zirconium ?

The point here is that even after you go through all the
entirely predictable pseudoscience antics which fail to produce a *perchlorate anode* by the course you are taking , it is absolutely irrelevant and unnecessary .
The *interface* which you have labored to achieve with your chlorides based ATO scheme will not approach the interface achieved by the cobalt spinel , or its bimetal spinel with nickel ......won't touch it in terms of conductivity .

*But* just because the spinel makes an excellent interface doesn't mean a damn thing for its worth as a working coating , so use it for what it does best , and then use the other materials (as their more compatible implementations) to *complement* the good interface that the spinel provides .

You don't need a chlorides based precursor and all the theories why they are needed for producing an interface
with titanium , when a spinel is already doing that job beautifully well . Come back over that spinel with a kinder gentler and less corrosive ATO precursor or just a plain TO
precursor to simply seal it . The interface is already there ,
so the ATO or plain TO has an easy task to do now that
the "heavy lifting" has been done by the spinel . You don't need ten coats of ATO anymore , a couple would probably do it , unless you use a crappy water thin chlorides mix having wetting problems instead of using something like the polymer
which has its own wetting properties ....at least for the first
coat . Or you could oxidative cold soak the TO layer on
and follow it with the Doping with antimony also using
non-corrosive method .....and then bake it to develop .
You have more options and more precise and predictable options on how to proceed . And once your DTO is applied , you can follow the baked DTO with whatever
coatings as you would use via your other scheme ,
plating on of an Alpha PbO2 and then Beta PbO2 , with
or without Bismuth . The thin layer formations required
shouldn't need elaborate plating scenarios . This
"plan B " was anticipated early in the thread . So far as I know there has been only one "baked anode" working coating reported useful for a perchlorate anode and
it is not US4142005 like you seem to think is applicable ,
but it is US4072586 you should be looking at for perchlorate anode specific information , Zirconium being mentioned nowhere BTW as useful . But 5% Co(NO3)2 along with
up to 20% Pb(NO3)2 or 20% *Tin Nitrate* (not chloride) ,
along with the remainder of Mn(NO3)2 were described
as useful "modifier oxides" .

But it seems you are leading straight to a purely speculative
"plan C" pursuit involving a modifier oxide that is not specifically stated as useful for *perchlorate* anodes , knowing and perhaps hoping ? it will probably fail , so you can proceed to dismiss a superior *interface* technology and return straight back to what you have been pushing "Alembics anode" , yes who first enlightened the forum about the magnificence of Ti substrate PbO2 anodes , as if somehow that magnificence would not be preserved having the higher tech undercoatings which I have been proposing .

Continue advancing the probably wrong theory
that the first order of business for making Ti substrates
anti-passivating , just must be using the chlorides based 16% Sb system which you seem to insist
is the singular solution , while it is only *one* of many approaches , and probably not the best one .
And that is really what is likely to be proved here
in this thread, which is exactly why you are not a happy camper , for having invested so heavily in what is so likely
a lower tech , more complicated , and inferior method .

The data will tell the tale , but only if the test is relevant .

BTW ......
Among the modifier oxides , mixtures are allowable also .
One of the interesting possible products is zinc stannate .
What may be its chemical resistance or catalytic properties
I'm not sure , but it is a highly conductive ceramic material . It is one of the possible stannates which occured to me while reading that list and it would have good thick film conductivity as it has been used in experimental battery anodes in monolithic form . Electrically it is probably better than ebonex as a conductive ceramic . I wonder if it might
have usefulness as an anode all by itself , never seen it mentioned before for electrolytic uses .

Xenoid - 13-12-2007 at 07:44

Quote:

So far as I know there has been only one "baked anode" working coating reported useful for a perchlorate anode and
it is not US4142005 like you seem to think is applicable ,
but it is US4072586 you should be looking at for perchlorate anode specific information , Zirconium being mentioned nowhere BTW as useful . But 5% Co(NO3)2 along with
up to 20% Pb(NO3)2 or 20% *Tin Nitrate* (not chloride) ,
along with the remainder of Mn(NO3)2 were described
as useful "modifier oxides" .

Yes!...Yes!...Yes!...

I'm getting there!... I'm getting there!...

Do you realise how difficult it is to make and purify Mn nitrate (this stuff decomposes when you look at it the wrong way and has to be stabilised with nitric acid) and other nitrates! Give us a chance!... I do have to mow the lawn and do the shopping!... :(

Rosco Bodine - 13-12-2007 at 08:28

Hey yeah that's me too ! I have a downed tree from a storm still laying on my lawn :D , my dogs need baths ,
and I'm dealing with a couple of inept attorneys who
can't read statutes unless the price of reading fees is
agreeable and negotiated on a word per word basis :P
I stay ass deep in alligators , but keep shooting , hoping
alligators get short before ammo :D

IIRC , a carbonate intermediate may be the way to go
there with the Mn . Or perhaps decomposition of some permanganate and then cycling to a nitrate would be
better than ever working from sulfate , I'm not sure .

I'm slower than Christmas for not having everything on hand myself , and otherwise being occupied , but will get around to experiments too when I can . Anyway , nobody put on the blinders and get tunnel vision about any one
patent or any one "recipe" , as there is more than one way to skin a cat , some maybe not even invented yet till the next cat comes along :P

Many chemical processes have highly branched "flow charts" for possible routes from various starting materials
to various end results so nothing is necessarily written
in stone as one and only right pathway of doing something .

dann2 - 13-12-2007 at 12:43

Hello,

Quote:
Let's just take the "magic Zirconium" here as an example of what I'm trying to point out about how you just don't get it .

When I said Zr is what you want (Rant icon here), I was talking rather tounge in cheek. It was in relation to Co Oxide anodes only.
I am of the opinion that Co Oxide will not make Perchlroate. Perchlorate has not been mentioned in ANY Co Oxide patent.

The other patent you are quoting is Mn Oxide. Would agree that (as others have said) that may be the best way forward. I thing the Co. is a dead end for Perchlorate.

Quote:

snip

Come back over that spinel with a kinder gentler and less corrosive ATO precursor or just a plain TO
precursor to simply seal it . The interface is already there ,
so the ATO or plain TO has an easy task to do now that
the "heavy lifting" has been done by the spinel . You don't need ten coats of ATO anymore , a couple would probably do it , unless you use a crappy water thin chlorides mix having wetting problems instead of using something like the polymer
which has its own wetting properties ....at least for the first
coat . Or you could oxidative cold soak the TO layer on
and follow it with the Doping with antimony also using
non-[Edited on 13-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

DTO as per Diamond shamrock patent is capable of any 'heavy lifting' (roll eyes icon here).
The Mixed Valency OP or sol-gel for anodes interface coats is pure speculation on your behalf.
Can you give me a single pointer to it theses techniques being used for anode applications? Therory can only go so far.

Are you suggesting that a Co Spinel will be compatable with a DTO or Lead Dixode coating?

Speculation is well and good if you/we have the time to explore a HUGH space of possible combination etc. Better to go with working examples that have been shown to work by professionals. They must be possible in the home workshop of course.
Too much theory, no working examples is like the classic saying:
I hear the bee's,
I don't see the honey.

Dann2

Xenoid - 13-12-2007 at 12:53

Quote:

I am of the opinion that Co Oxide will not make Perchlroate. Perchlorate has not been mentioned in ANY Co Oxide patent.

Short-lived as they have been, the Co oxide anode has produced perchlorate (as tested with methylene blue). I have no idea about the amount or efficiency. Anyway it's irrelevant as we'll be putting something over the top... ;)

Twospoons - 13-12-2007 at 13:02

Well, I'm nearly ready to join the hunt. Got 95/5 Sn/Sb solder, Co carbonate and NiO yesterday. Wanted some vanadium to play with but they were out of stock. Looking for Bi shot, so I can try that too. Christmas hols coming up, so that should give me a bit of time.
I'm thinking along the lines of trying to get an Al substrate working (because I have no Ti), using a Ni strike plate, followed by Co spinel (with some Ni ?) to obtain a stable conductive substrate. Then PbO2 over the top. Or maybe seal with DTO, then PbO2. So many things to try ...

jpsmith123 - 13-12-2007 at 13:44

Anybody that has some Mn Sulfate and Co Sulfate might want to try anodic co-electrodeposition of the respective oxides, followed by a heat treatment at 300 to 400 degrees C. (I ordered some Mn Sulfate but I don't have it yet).

This is as per my email correspondence with a grad student who's doing this for another application.

Rosco Bodine - 13-12-2007 at 14:00

@dann2

This is a *science* forum , not a let's all be copycats
of what patent xyz declares is the "ultimate truth" ,
being some witless coven of cauldron stirring drones .

You don't understand the reaction mechanisms
that are applicable or you wouldn't be making
the arguments you are making , which are
pseudoscience . Unproved yet well founded
scientific hypotheses are a hell of a lot more
substantive than "speculation" . For you it
seems that a patent you like is the bible on
some peculiar aspect of a much broader technology .
Where you can find a common denominator in
more than one patent , you *assume* that
somehow proves that represents the "state of the art" ,
even though no data is presented to suggest that .
If you read carefully , the very language
of patents is often ambiguous , and deliberately
so , as to "precise recipes" which may be closely
guarded trade secrets . Being skilled in the art
begins with understanding mechanisms for
certain reactions , getting the point of what
is the general idea , you then see many variations
on a theme and that the claims of a patent
try very hard to cover the range of those variations
without ever actually being specific about
*precisely* what is "preferred" ......because
that is for them to know , and for you to try to
figure out :P If you take the rote description
they give as your blueprint for duplication of
their proprietary technology , then you are
kidding yourself .

Don't despair over spinels ,
perovskites are just around the corner :P

dann2 - 13-12-2007 at 16:50

Hello,

Quote:
@dann2

being some witless coven of cauldron stirring drones .

I can assure you, that only for the examples at the end of the patents there would be a mountain of mountains to climb to get to working (or close to working) anodes.
If all patents put up to this board had the examples snipped out, there would not be much actual progress on the anode front. (It a war you know :D). IMHO. Lots of discussion maybe.
Not trying to suggest I am some sort of scientist capable of an understanding of all the fields we are touching on here but I do know that at the end of the day we need an actual working anode. Do you have a good enough understanding of the workings of possible recipts of baked on coatings on different substrates, working in different mediums doing different jobs to suggest that worked examples (in for example the Diamond Shamrock patent) are rubbish?
I have me doughts.
You know more chem. than I do, that's certain.
If people are actully using the examples to knowingly mislead, that is a different story. I do not think they do.

Experience from other people (amateurs where we are) is also very inlightening, irrespective of whether or not they or us understand the science.
I would be attempting to put LD on Graphite bare Ti, Iron and other attackable substrates and expecting a good result if I lisened to the 'science' alone.
It can be done of course, so long as you wheel out the big tanks, lots and lots of equipment, lab grade chems., triple distilled water......

Perhaps I am droning on.........or am I bringing home the honey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Naturally enough I will vote the latter:D

Dann2

I must admit:
PFP:cool:
<B>
being some witless coven of cauldron stirring drones . </B>

PFP?? Pure f*^k)%£ poetry

[Edited on 14-12-2007 by dann2]

Xenoid - 13-12-2007 at 18:46

Glad someone's working around here...:P

Meet Gertrude, my latest anode. She's blue/black, smooth, very shiny and hard!

Gertrude has a double layer Co-spinel INTERFACE and 8 layers of beta-MnO2 on top!

Well, Gertrude say goodbye my beauty, because you are off to see the nasty perchlorate cell for several hundred days of exhaustive testing!

But before we do that!

Can someone verify my understanding of oxygen overpotential (OO) in relation to a perchlorate cell! As I understand it, a material with a high OO is desirable because it allows one to use higher current densities generating perchlorate before energy starts being wasted making oxygen! When running a perchlorate cell, should we increase the current density to a point just where oxygen starts to be evolved, or a little higher. In the past, with my platinised electrode, I just turned up the juice to what I thaought was a suitable current density, and to hell with the amount of oxygen produced. In retrospect I guess this was the wrong approach!

I'll follow up with details, after the exhaustive testing if it is warranted.

Anode-5.jpg - 5kB

Rosco Bodine - 13-12-2007 at 18:56

@dann2

Patent examples are usually illustrative of general principle , a sort of proof of concept presentation , while the secret 11 herbs and spices they keep to themselves .

I don't think the anodes described in shamrock or in many other patents are rubbish but their methods are not as advanced as those methods and chemistry which we are
making the greater interest of investigation and experimentation . Never hurts to try applying newer information or more advanced methods to older processes . You don't seem to understand why the methods being explored by us are more advanced and probably superior . What we are doing is a bit of updating of some *old* methods .

I wondered why you seem to be playing the devils advocate a bit , maybe the idea was stirring the pot ???:D Because I thought the aim here was to
"think outside the box" and try to come up with something more predictable in the way of a system for anode assembly from the substrate up . Applying a spinel thin film MOS technology to the substrate / interface seemed like a reasonable "breakout" from the other stuff .
As for the applicability of the technology to perchlorate anodes , well no the scentific literature wasn't really specific nor excluding either in that potential use , but
neither was it limiting or specific to *any* particular use .
So if you basically have a hermetically sealed metal and ceramic anode core , then it becomes a matter of what sort of working coating is applied last that defines what
the completed anode is useful for electrolysing . The
core structure is pretty generic and could be overplated with just about anything you want , for making any sort of anode you want for whatever kind of cell , perchlorate included . Some of the designations for these things
don't even get as specific as to call them anodes , but simply call these cores something like "electrodes for electrolysis" and say no more .

About the substrate glass versus titanium , it isn't
really what it appears because for the SnO2 coatings
the interfaces are SiO2 for glass and TiO2 for titanium ,
and silica and titania are not that disimilar , as would
account for any vast difference in coatings performance
including conductivity , which is the aim . Just because
Pytlewski didn't bake and test the conductivity for the
polymer coatings doesn't change the chemistry of the
polymer which would necessarily make it a precursor .
It already is a baked film precursor because of its chemical composition , not because I say so , but because the
elements are there compounded which exposed to heat
will decompose from there to the same end product
as will other precursors having the same elements ,
but arranged slightly differently . It's like how much difference in sweetening your coffee is gotten from
using sugar cubed or granular , if after it dissolves ,
it makes no difference in the end . In some situations
it is just that a different form for the material starting out ,
is more convenient to handle , even though it ends up being the same thing later when the heat hits it .

This kind of layer chemistry is thin film chemistry and is
semiconductor technology also . The substrate and spinel interface is a bona fide thin film "MOS device" of Schottky
titanium substrate architecture , " Zenerized " by special doping into having a zener voltage probably in the hundredths of a volt region . That's probably what has Twospoons all stirred up :D , he probably smells a production run of a new variant Schottky diode here ....never mind the perchlorate anode coating that can be wrapped around it :D

Rosco Bodine - 13-12-2007 at 19:10

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenoid
Glad someone's working around here...:P

Meet Gertrude, my latest anode. She's blue/black, smooth, very shiny and hard!

Gertrude has a double layer Co-spinel INTERFACE and 8 layers of beta-MnO2 on top!

Okay now , details please , plain MnO2 on top or did
you mix in the 5% Co(NO3)2 and 10-20% Pb(NO3)2 for a tertiary outer coating ?
Quote:

Well, Gertrude say goodbye my beauty, because you are off to see the nasty perchlorate cell for several hundred days of exhaustive testing!

Hope springs eternal :P
Quote:

But before we do that!

Can someone verify my understanding of oxygen overpotential (OO) in relation to a perchlorate cell! As I understand it, a material with a high OO is desirable because it allows one to use higher current densities generating perchlorate before energy starts being wasted making oxygen!

Precisely . It is the unusual difference in voltage between what would normally be the span between perchlorate and
oxygen as the product , not an absolute voltage but the difference , a selectivity range broadened because the catalytic effect of the MnO2 on lowering the potential
for perchlorate production . Plus the absolute overvoltage
may be there in selectivity reflected as a rise in oxygen evolution as compared with a platinum anode ....so you get the benefit of an additive effect maybe up to 0.6 volts of
added range versus platinum , which allows you to really push the current up before hitting O2 effervescence .
That will tend to scour the coating off the anode also , so you don't want that .
Quote:

When running a perchlorate cell, should we increase the current density to a point just where oxygen starts to be evolved, or a little higher. In the past, with my platinised electrode, I just turned up the juice to what I thaought was a suitable current density, and to hell with the amount of oxygen produced. In retrospect I guess this was the wrong approach!

I'll follow up with details, after the exhaustive testing if it is warranted.

Yep if your electrode looks like an airstone , that is wasted energy . You can actually use that as a marker of sorts ,
and back the current down to some percentage below that ,
like 85% or 90% of that evolution current . It should
follow a slope downward as the reaction proceeds to convert all the material in the electrolyte , gassing will
reappear , and the cell will need adjusting , monitoring as the batch proceeds .

Twospoons - 13-12-2007 at 19:15

Dammit Rosco! I thought I was going to be able to patent it and make millions!
Hey Xenoid, another awfully sexy looking anode - can't wait to hear how well it works.

Xenoid - 13-12-2007 at 19:21

Quote:
Okay now , details please , plain MnO2 on top or did
you mix in the 5% Co(NO3)2 and 10-20% Pb(NO3)2 for a tertiary outer coating ?

Geez, Rosco, give me a chance! I finally decided to make the Mn nitrate from carbonate and nitric acid because I'm having trouble processing the stuff from the sulphate route.

Sorry, it's just plain old garden variety MnO2. If it looks like holding together I'll try doping it next... :D

Rosco Bodine - 13-12-2007 at 19:50

Actually it's the porosity I'm worried about . I think MnO2 is like a sieve IIRC , so maybe even an intermediate layer of SnO2 to seal up the spinel and act as a cement also for the MnO2 and PbO2 and spinel tertiary . That ought to do it , but I do think it will take the three layers , and the tertiary outer coating . This is the one that needs a
little phosphate in the electrolyte also IIRC , as a catalyst
or an erosion reducer additive . If you got anything with
bismuth in it , throw in a little bit of that too , maybe 0.1%
as it is highly catalytic with the PbO2 component for perchlorate , same as is the Co catalytic together with the MnO2 . All these things together should be there for long life and high efficiency , if the patent reported data is legit .

Pages:  1  2    4