Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Cobalt Oxide Anodes

Pages:  1    3  

Xenoid - 13-12-2007 at 20:11

Well, I just popped it in a perchlorate cell and the OO must be low, because as I turned up the current, oxygen just started to be evolved at 3.1V and .27A, this corresponds to a current density of only 13mA/cm^2.

In addition there is also the dreaded "hint of pink" permanganate. I'm crossing my fingers its just from a bit of unconverted Mn++, residual in the anode.

I've pulled it out and I will make some Pb nitrate tomorrow and put a couple of doped MnO2 layers on top.

I don't want to put Co spinel on top, because its baking temperature (370 oC) is getting a bit high for the stability of beta MnO2, which I baked at ~310 oC.

The anode actually has an almost metallic, peacock-blue hue, there was no need to wipe between coats, as absolutely nothing came off!

BTW does anyone know why, in all these "baking" patents, ethanol, iso-propyl alcohol or combinations with water are used for the coating solutions. What effect is this supposed to be adding!

Oh! and also BTW, the 4 coat anode is still running after 7 days, but current has dropped to 1.77 Amps. I might even get a batch of chlorate from this....!

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by Xenoid]

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by Xenoid]

Rosco Bodine - 13-12-2007 at 22:38

I think the stability of the MnO2 should be okay higher like up to the same 370C. If you are using plain MnO2 as a coating , there is reportedly benefit in using 10% of the carbonate with the nitrate . It improves the range of temperature over which the Mn nitrate smoothly decomposes to MnO2 . See US3553087 . There is also some indication here that the yield from thermal decomposition is not 100% , so that may account for some of your pink leachate . It may just be a tansient leaching of the residue of the small amount which did not decompose completely , which will stop
leaching pretty quick .

The color development is probably some bimetal spinel formation where some cobalt and manganese are actually combined . This is something you want to occur , probably
with some Pb added also .

There are reports of baked MnO2 used alone which do not hold up at all . See US4180445 . This patent contains an
electrodeposition method for Delta MnO2 from MnCl2 which may be of interest to jpsmith123 .

[Edited on 14-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

R.P.Wang - 13-12-2007 at 22:49

ethanol, iso-propyl alcohol or n-butanoln is used for dissolve the salts(MnNO3, SnCl4, SbCl3 etc) and make them fine distributed on the substrates.the n-butanoln is the best dispersant and solvent, however,MnNO3 only dissolved in ethanol.

Xenoid : congratulations for your first chlorate!

R.P.Wang - 13-12-2007 at 23:06

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosco Bodine
It's just a convenient stable conductive interface material for preventing passivation of a Ti substrate .

Working anode coatings like Bi2O3/SnO2 or PbO2 ,
must be used to prevent erosion , and increase oxygen
overvoltage for perchlorate cells .

Potentially other complex spinels may be useful as working anode coatings .

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

From my experience in lab, the best conductive interface material is SnO2+Sb2O3, sometime a MnO2 oxide is also add in it . Ti/SnO2+Sb/alfa-PbO2/PbO2 maybe the most practical anode use for perchlorate cells.

Xenoid - 13-12-2007 at 23:11

Quote:
Originally posted by R.P.Wang
Xenoid : congratulations for your first chlorate!

Thanks for the information on solvents!

The chlorate is not my first, but all the previous chlorate was produced with graphite rods. This is my first chlorate with a Ti anode... :D

dann2 - 13-12-2007 at 23:16

Hello,

I have used Ethanol, Iso-Proply, Methanol and a water Methanol for my DTO coatings because they are what I had.
The vast majority of patent examples for DTO use Buthanol. I have none.

Don't know about the MnO2.

Regarding O2 evolution on anode. It will vary as the Chlorate conc. goes down.
There is no general agreement regarding mechanisms amongs scientists AFAIK.
Mechanism depends on anode material, conc's, pH, bla bla.
I have papers about the mechanisms of Perchlrate formation at anodes. Will post.
Know little about it myself.

Dann2

R.P.Wang - 13-12-2007 at 23:41

Quote:
Originally posted by dann2
Hello,

I have used Ethanol, Iso-Proply, Methanol and a water Methanol for my DTO coatings because they are what I had.
The vast majority of patent examples for DTO use Buthanol. I have none.

Don't know about the MnO2.

Regarding O2 evolution on anode. It will vary as the Chlorate conc. goes down.
There is no general agreement regarding mechanisms amongs scientists AFAIK.
Mechanism depends on anode material, conc's, pH, bla bla.
I have papers about the mechanisms of Perchlrate formation at anodes. Will post.
Know little about it myself.
Dann2

the Ethanol, Iso-Proply also work well if you don't have butanol.
About the preparation of perchlorate on an anode:
First the materials can stand strong acid. Must be stable!
Second the oxygen evolution potential on such anode materials must be high. It is better to oxidize the ClO3- to ClO4 before the oxygen evolution. So I still believe the Ti/Co3O4 anode is not a good choice for perchlorate production. Eventhough they are stable in acid solution.

[Edited on 14-12-2007 by R.P.Wang]

Rosco Bodine - 14-12-2007 at 06:33

The use of alcohol can be for several reasons depending on the solid materials being dissolved or dispersed . It
is a reactive solvent leading to alcoholates as a dispersed phase ( a sol system ) in the alcohol when reacted with
some salts . In procedures where the mixture is refluxed ,
this can be not only for producing the alcoholate , but also
for azeotroping away the water contained in certain salts , so that a lower water content or anhydrous mixture
results . Some salts also have high solubility in the alcohol
and it is simply a solvent which dries more quickly from
a mixture of salts which otherwise may be inclined to attract more moisture from the air after coating , before baking , and the consistent thickness of the film adversely affected during the exposure to air between coating and baking .

With regards to the Co3O4 alone and the electrode potential for ClO4 , that is probably correct and I have
expressed the same idea . However , the Co and
some other materials in mixture or compounded together
can raise the oxygen overpotential , and/or lower the
ClO4 potential by catalytic effect . Some of the bimetal
spinels of Cobalt may have the desired overvoltage .

This may also be true for certain tertiary spinels .
One of them which may do it , I don't know for sure ,
is the cobalt-nickel-manganese spinel .

Some of the perovskite materials might also have the
desired effect . Some of the stannates may be useful .

There is also the bi-electrode effect which can be involved
for certain mixtures .

And there is always PbO2 particularly with Bismuth and fluoride as ClO4 catalysts .

Anyway , the interface and substrate materials are
irrelevant to the matter of ClO4 production by the
working coating for the anode , so long as the undercoatings are chemically stable and conductive
materials , that is their purpose as a support for the
working coating which is specific for the desired product
of the electrolysis . Even for the case where the substrate is solid platinum , working coatings that are
useful for the desired product are applied over the platinum , because the platinum itself may have zero
ability to produce the desired product because of having
an overpotential that makes its selectivity wrong , so
it produces another product preferentially .

The substrate and interface layers simply serve as a
chemically compatable and conductive
"electrocatalyst support" for the working coating .

Rosco Bodine - 14-12-2007 at 06:49

Quote:
Quote:
It's just a convenient stable conductive interface material for preventing passivation of a Ti substrate .

Working anode coatings like Bi2O3/SnO2 or PbO2 ,
must be used to prevent erosion , and increase oxygen
overvoltage for perchlorate cells .

Potentially other complex spinels may be useful as working anode coatings .

[Edited on 13-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

From my experience in lab, the best conductive interface material is SnO2+Sb2O3, sometime a MnO2 oxide is also add in it . Ti/SnO2+Sb/alfa-PbO2/PbO2 maybe the most practical anode use for perchlorate cells.

Yes we are all well aware of that particular layering scheme .
No news for us there .

Has your work ever inolved cobalt - nickel spinel at the Ti ,
as an added interface ? ( With everything else the same )

For example:
Ti/Co2NiO4/SnO2+Sb/alpha-PbO2/beta-PbO2

@ Xenoid , that "peacock blue" dust free material
and coating you have there may not quite be there yet
for ClO4 , but it just might happily make ClO3 till hell freezes ,
(if porosity isn't there) , so it might be fine for chlorate ,
I don't know . Anyway that color development is very interesting , because the single spinel is black and so is the
single MnO2 , and black plus black isn't blue , unless something *very interesting* has occurred :D like a
bimetal spinel of Mn and Co , even though you did not
mix the two precurors , a solid solution migration must have occurred from the underlying cobalt spinel layer , by diffusion
at high temperature , the two different layers merged and
reacted to form the bimetal spinel . And because the shamrock patent described the mixture of Mn and Co precursors as useful for two of the parts of a ClO4 selective
mixture , then the bimetal spinel might be headed suffciently
in the right direction to at least make a good chlorate anode ,
even if it stops short of the ClO4 capability for lacking the third element . Anyway , it's a pretty color so even if nothing else it would be good as a decorative finish :D

dann2 - 14-12-2007 at 13:29

Hello Folks,

Quote:
Quote:

Yes we are all well aware of that particular layering scheme .
No news for us there .

Indeed!
Thanks to Alembic (my hero :cool: :D), we are aware of it. Took a bit of hammering home though.
NONE of us in here has *actually* manufactured a working anode of this scheme yet though (apart from yourself R.P.). That's a very important point.
I am at the DTO stage only, currently running a DTO Anode in a Perchlorate cell.

Keep up the good work all.

Dann2

[Edited on 14-12-2007 by dann2]

Xenoid - 14-12-2007 at 13:58

@ Rosco

If I put a couple of extra coats of ??beta-MnO2 on to "Gertrude" which are doped with Pb and Co, how are these elements incorporated into the beta-MnO2 structure. For example Pb nitrate decomposes into PbO (massicot) at low temperature (no fusing) which is slightly soluble (.002). It does not form the desirable PbO2 unfortunately. 20% Pb nitrate is a large substitution, will it not form a separate phase!

Rosco Bodine - 14-12-2007 at 14:05

I'm not sure what the story is on the Pb , probably some goes into solid solution and whats exposed gets anodic
oxidized in situ . I suspect what they are doing is creating
a hodge podge mottled field of surface regions which have a bi-electrode effect between the islands of different
materials ....rather than some uniform composition .

This is probably one when idle , you don't even want to leave wet , much less open circuit , because of the
"mini-batteries" all across its surface .

4 - Coat Anode - Chlorate Cell

Xenoid - 14-12-2007 at 15:48

When I inspected the cell this morning, current had dropped to 1.67 Amps. There was a lot of salt build up on the cathode connection as this cell was a bit (quick & dirty) and there was no provision for venting or corrosion protection.

I decided to dismantle it and clean the cathode connection. After I washed the salt off it didn't look too bad, so I cleaned it a little and put it back together. The anode has lost about 20-30% of its black coating, revealing a golden yellowish film (is this the real interface) underneath. Most of the black coating had been lost on the side of the rod closest to the cathode, understandably. So I rotated the anode, 180 degrees. After assembly, the current is now back up to 1.76 Amps. This is a drop in current of only about 5% over 8 days.

@ Dann2 - How are your Co oxide coated anodes going?

dann2 - 14-12-2007 at 16:04

Hello,

Firstly, regarding mini-batteries:
Looks like the simple way around that problem is to use the anode twentyfour, seven, 365 :D

Quote:
Originally posted by Xenoid

The anode has lost about 20-30% of its black coating, revealing a golden yellowish film (is this the real interface) underneath. Most of the black coating had been lost on the side of the rod closest to the cathode, understandably. So I rotated the anode, 180 degrees. After assembly, the current is now back up to 1.76 Amps. This is a drop in current of only about 5% over 8 days.

@ Dann2 - How are your Co oxide coated anodes going?

I have seen the gold coating, (failed anode in Perk. cell) with naked eye and looked at it with microscope. I guessed at the time it was Co Metal (bullshit??? probably). Is certainly looks like metal but Cobalt is not gold coloured but silver grey AFAIK.

I must confess I only got around to setting up my Co Oxide anodes this morning. They are going now for about 12 hours.
The anode have cathode on both sides. Two cells are in series with a PSU power supply + resistor. Chlorate cells.
Current density is higher on one anode as it is smaller.
316 and 150 approx mA per square cm.
Voltage accross cells similar @ 3.8 volts.
No problems to report yet.

Still have not set up the Li Perk. cell using DTO Anode :(

Dann2

Rosco Bodine - 14-12-2007 at 16:12

@Xenoid

There may be a problem with having a cylinder form anode
horizontally oriented the way you describe because you can't get an even current density across the surface .

The high spot closest to the cathode gets "scorched"
in the noontime sun while the backside freezes to death at midnight :P , and every other point gets something
of an average value of current density in between the
two extremes . Much better would be to have a coaxial
arrangement of cathode rods maybe 6 or 8 , and put
the anode right in the center , so the current density
is more evenly distributed across the surface . Do that
and it should last way longer and operate way more efficiently .

jpsmith123 - 14-12-2007 at 16:22

Dann2 the Co Oxide coated anodes you're referring to, are they baked on coatings or electrodeposited?

Also, what's underneath the Co oxide, is it one of your DTO coatings?

[Edited on by jpsmith123]

Xenoid - 14-12-2007 at 16:35

Quote:

The high spot closest to the cathode gets "scorched"

Yeah! I realise this now Rosco! It actually makes a mockery of my current densities, they were probably closer to twice what I have reported!
When you are testing stuff it's so much easier to have a simple set up, anode one side cathode the other, you can see whats going on! I have some cylindrical cathodes, I'll use them for more serious testing, if it gets to that stage!

chloric1 - 14-12-2007 at 16:52

Quote:
ethanol, iso-propyl alcohol or n-butanoln is used for dissolve the salts(MnNO3, SnCl4, SbCl3 etc) and make them fine distributed on the substrates.the n-butanoln is the best dispersant and solvent, however,MnNO3 only dissolved in ethanol.

Xenoid-I feel it has more to do with wetting capabilities of the alcohols. The same reason why you add isopropanol to a glass cleaning formula. With water it acts as a co-solvent of sorts.

dann2 - 14-12-2007 at 20:12

Hello,

Quote:
Originally posted by jpsmith123
Dann2 the Co Oxide coated anodes you're referring to, are they baked on coatings or electrodeposited?

Also, what's underneath the Co oxide, is it one of your DTO coatings?

The anodes I have just set up to test are baked on Co Oxide (from Nitrate). 7 coats onto bare Ti. The Ti sat in the open for about 14 hours after etching if that will make a difference. (Does not seem to do so.)
My other Co Coating was plated. When put onto bare Ti it passivated as soon as it went into a cell. The one on DTO worked but was eroding from the start. I would say the coating probable lasted 5 hours or so (guess). It continued to work with the DTO.

Other DTO in Perchlorae cell still going fine. 10 days is the run time for the cell (pumping in 200% of required theoretical current needed, 2.1 moles cell) . It will be interesting to see how low the Chlorte level is. Will try to titrate with Fe Sulphate

Dann2

Sherlock and Shamrock

Rosco Bodine - 14-12-2007 at 23:27

Quote:
@ Rosco

If I put a couple of extra coats of ??beta-MnO2 on to "Gertrude" which are doped with Pb and Co, how are these elements incorporated into the beta-MnO2 structure. For example Pb nitrate decomposes into PbO (massicot) at low temperature (no fusing) which is slightly soluble (.002). It does not form the desirable PbO2 unfortunately. 20% Pb nitrate is a large substitution, will it not form a separate phase!

I have been looking more at the cryptically described coatings
of US4072586 , and with your observation concerning
the PbO in mind have been trying to gain better clarity on
the "undisclosed fact" hidden within the "patentese" language . This is like trying to break some wartime radio cypher , to translate the generalities into what seems to be most likely specifics . To help solve the riddle of what components among those the "patentese" language discloses as groups of materials from which to select , I am looking at some relevant data from a more definitive patent which reveals something about co-solubility of other oxides ,
within SnO2 . It was a patent I posted a long time ago and
does contain relevant information specific to this sort of
coating chemistry , as applies to the coating itself , information from Corning which is a division of Dow . The
patent is US2564707 attached again here , because it is
significant and enlightening and *pertinent* to what we are doing if SnO2 containing coatings are involved .

The patent shows many ternary systems of oxides soluble
in SnO2 , possibly as their stannates . Anyway this gives
a listing of some of oxides of interest to us with regards
to the listed *perchlorate specific* catalytic oxides of US4072586 which are co-existent in the anode coating with
the MnO2 .

The language of the patent was ambiguous as to the scenario involving "modifier oxides" or as the patent said up to 20% oxides added to "stabilize" the coating . The choice was from 3 different materials listed in and/or fashion to complicate things further . Among these metal oxide precursors , one very noteworthy to me because it so unusual was *tin nitrate* , and tin is mentioned again in the next group of catalytic oxides as well , but cobalt is mentioned as being preferred .

Later in the US4072586 patent section describing the catalysts found useful for perchlorates , again a choice is described between 3 materials , arsenic , antimony , and bismuth . Perhaps not scientific but intuitively I think the
arsenic can be ruled out as being an unlikely candidate .
And that leaves antimony and bismuth as the perchlorate
catalysts . Continuing with the decryption of the patentese ,
I looked for what seemed most likely solubility for the plural components in consideration , and deduced that tin oxide
would most likely be the solvent oxide for the others .

The Corning ternary system solubility data makes it likely
that in addition to the MnO2 , there is SnO2 in order to
provide "solid solution bonding" for the other components
listed , including the MnO2 , the cobalt spinel , along with
antimony or bismuth as catalyst for perchlorate . The tin oxide is the thing which would bind together the other
materials ......whereas it is unlikely that the PbO would have such an effect . The stannates bonding seems far more
plausible than any plumbate , and the silicon "third choice"
has been ruled out because it is said in the patent to exhibit no overvoltage , which is something desired , for a perchlorate selective anode coating .

The claims however in referencing the perchlorate selective
variant , calls up the anode configuration of claim#1 ,
which would seem to point to an anode having not the
maximum 20% SnO2 as a stabilizer ( which is claim#2 not #1 ) The problem there is that the 20% SnO2 would
almost certainly be required as the solvent for properly bonding the other materials , including the Sb and/or Bi
catalysts required for perchlorate selectivity . It is probable
that the confusion created by this duality is quite deliberate
on the part of the authors .

So , my sleuthing has brought a bit more understanding
of what is most likely required for the perchlorate anode
which they are deliberately not describing in its full particulars . I will later plug in some numbers for some
try and see proportions which seem to reside within the
percentage ranges specified by US4072586 , and see if
the predicted solubilities in SnO2 square with what is
known from the Corning patent . Hopefully from this
little effort at decryption of Diamond Shamrocks "patentese"
their secret proportions of specific components which they very deliberately aren't listing in plain english can be discovered . Reverse engineering from the possible
ratios allowable by the solubilities in the SnO2 might
reveal a likely "data convergence" where certain proportions
match up and withstand scrutiny as likely formulations ,
defined within the claimed selections and ranges .

Wouldn't it be nice if they just stated in plain english the
full details of what was the coating configuration they tested
as being so efficient as a baked perchlorate anode ?

Anyway , the Corning patent pretty much assures there won't be any compatability problems between spinels
and ATO or DTO ....as it appears they will fuse together
nicely .

Edit: It is looking more like Bismuth doped Tin Oxide
*is* the likely catalytic combination for the perchlorate selectivity anode .
See later Diamond Shamrock patent US4272354 .
Also of possible interest is US4267025 which
is also perchlorate anode specific . Both of these however
involve coatings having high percentages of precious metal
oxides , bonded by the DTO mixtures so the information
is more general for the DTO phase than definitive for a
different anode coating where the filler material is not
precious metal oxides .

[Edited on 15-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: US2564707 Sb2O3 doped SnO2 and tertiary compositions.pdf (479kB)
This file has been downloaded 701 times

4 - Coat Anode - Chlorate Cell

Xenoid - 15-12-2007 at 16:50

My God.... the Co Oxide Anode thread was in danger of dropping of the bottom of the "Today's Posts" list... :o

Thought I better post something, the cell is still running after 9 days, current has now dropped to 1.71 amps.

This Co oxide spinel is pretty tough stuff!

Rosco Bodine - 15-12-2007 at 18:20

Yes Co spinel is pretty tough . The Ni analogue is too I think , and the bimetal spinel of the two is synergistic . I think it is probable there is some polymetal Co spinel that is catalytic for perchlorate . Figuring out which one(s) are specific in that usefulness could be quite a journey . Looking at the usual peroxidation catalysts seems the logical place to start along with whatever hints may be gotten from the patents .

Also Co spinel is very conductive and a great solid solution component . That Corning patent which I referenced above also shows the easy mutual solid solution between the Tin Oxide and Cobalt Oxide which I had mentioned before in a summary of some general things I was concluding from the Dow patents , even though neither patent mentions the easy co-solubility of the Co-Sn oxides specificially , the data shows it is something of a
solid solution mixed solvent for other metal oxides , parallel to the idea of certain mixed organic solvents
having special power to dissolve organic materials .

I seems likely that the mixed oxides system
Sn-Sb-Co-Bi-Mn would result in the baked MnO2 coating ,
perhaps even with added Pb as well , as the diffusion
product and doping in the SnO2 vitreous composite ,
carrying MnO2 as a crystalline separate phase .

I haven't yet inserted any "try values" to make an educated guess as to the proportions , but at this point
these components appear likely in my contemplation of
the mystery formula for the Shamrock patent US4072586 which touted such unusual high efficiency for a perchlorate anode .

Anyway , if the baked anode coating "secret recipe" proves enigmatic and elusive , there is still relief in simply sealing the spinel under SnO2 or ATO , and then applying
the old and well proven electrodeposited PbO2 as the working coating .

About the cathode geometry , a coil form is good too ,
and easy to make from soft drawn solid wire or small
diameter tubing .

The Lithium Perchlorate thread and some of the little
discussion about oxygen overvoltage got me to wondering
what might happen if an MnCl2 solution was electrolyzed
using an MnO2 anode . I wonder if some LiCl in the electrolyte would cause the MnCl2 to be converted all the way to perchlorate , with zero attack of the anode ,
because of the anode self-healing effect of the common Mn ion in the electrolyte ?

dann2 - 15-12-2007 at 19:35

Hello,

Quote:
Anyway , if the baked anode coating "secret recipe" proves enigmatic and elusive , there is still relief in simply sealing the spinel under SnO2 or ATO , and then applying

Why bother with a Co Spinel when the DTO will do on its own under LD?

Dann2

dann2 - 15-12-2007 at 20:03

Hello,

Regarding the 'Old Chestnut' US2564707, the enclosed doc.
is illuminating for the resistance measurement that they are doing on the DTO.
I was inclined to think that the resistances shown for the different %'s of Sb were rather high.
They are not. The patent mesures the films 'in squares' end to end (as it were) as opposed to 'through' the films (the thin way).
The actual resistace 'seen' by the current going from an anode is very very little little. Have not had time to figure it out but an acutal figure on the RESISTIVITY of actual bulk ATO for different Sb % would be nice.
I propose the following table for resistance seen by 200mA of current coming out through (as it were) a DTO film
Sb = 1%-------------------> Resistance = SWF
Sb = 9%-------------------> Resistance = Slightly more that SWF
Sb = 18% -------------You get my drift.

The patent also states that a high Sb content is needed for
to keep the coat from degenerating when the coating is thich. (Anode coats are thick).
page 5 col 6 line 0

Another reason for high Sb in *Anode* coats may be to give the anode coatings a more favourable
higher O2 and/or lower Cl2 evolution protential.
(as per the Bi2O3 in SnO2)

Dann2

[Edited on 16-12-2007 by dann2]

[Edited on 16-12-2007 by dann2]

sheet.jpg - 36kB

Rosco Bodine - 15-12-2007 at 20:06

Quote:
Hello,

Quote:

Dann2

Because Co spinel appears to be a superior interface which gets past difficulties involved with ATO at the interface . It seems like you would be the first person to understand this usefulness for all the problems that you have encountered with ATO as an interface material .

And why bother with catalytic baked coatings or PbO2
if all it takes to make perchlorate is ATO ?

@dann2 , please edit that attachment down to 550-600 pixels width so it doesn't foul up the page formatting .

X number of electrons flowing through Y amount of
resistance are going to dissipate the same net IR loss
no matter how you work the geometry you think applies ,
sideways, lengthwise , or through the thickness .

Your proposed 16% Sb in SnO2 creates a separate phase
for more than half of the Sb , even in its maximum dispersed form . The saturation limit has been identified by more than one source as below 8% , and the optimum conductivity at a third of that . As for your reference , did you notice that they were giving a figure of 1% Sb in a film already more than double the thickness at which the increased Sb percentage was needed ? The disruptions of the lattice are accompanied
by the development of tint in coatings which are transparent
below that saturation point where the dopants begin to appear as a separate phase . It is that dispersion of particles which causes the color development and opacity .
Separate phases and their attendant porosity might be beneficial on the outer working coating , but you sure don't want that sort of scenario at the interface because it
decreases conductivity and it is not mechanically or chemically stable .

I found examples 2, 3, 10, 11, 13 to be interesting ....
and also 15 , 18 , 19 , 21 and 22 .

The data involving the inclusion of bismuth and cobalt
manganese , vanadium , nickel and chromium is useful since these are probable catalysts .

dann2 - 15-12-2007 at 21:43

Quote:
Quote:

Dann2

Because Co spinel appears to be a superior interface which gets past difficulties involved with ATO at the interface . It seems like you would be the first person to understand this usefulness for all the problems that you have encountered with ATO as an interface material .

And why bother with catalytic baked coatings or PbO2
if all it takes to make perchlorate is ATO ?

@dann2 , please edit that attachment down to 550-600 pixels width so it doesn't foul up the page formatting .

X number of electrons flowing through Y amount of
resistance are going to dissipate the same net IR loss
no matter how you work the geometry you think applies ,
sideways, lengthwise , or through the thickness .

Most of the problems I have had regarding DTO coatings were in relation to attempting to use Stannate (available to me, or variations using H202 to get 'Stannic'), as opposed to Stannic from a jar. They are quite easy to do. My enitial failure with Stannic was using far far too much Sb (up in the 20's%) I think.
All attempts at using Stannate for me failed. I shall leave it to some one else more skilled in the art....
If it's an OTC argument then Cobalt wins no dought.

The DTO on it's own may be a good enough anode for Pechlorate. One successful run of a Perchlorate cell does not prove the anode is reliable.
It appears not to make Chlorate so well though as I cannot get a ppt from a Chlorate cell that I ran. Need to run longer I guess.

Will come back about the bulk resistance stuff........

Dann2

Rosco Bodine - 15-12-2007 at 23:59

It never hurts to have some backup options ,
alternatives , as a bit of insurance against becoming
one of these :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I2k3tITHzc

Here's some possibly interesting items ,
but I haven't read them yet

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0378-7753(01)00620-6

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.tsf.2007.01.042

[Edited on 16-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

dann2 - 16-12-2007 at 00:35

Hello,

Can't watch video, too slow connection. Hope it's not something dogy.

The DTO is not difficult IMHO. All (as I said) of the 'messing' around is now over for me......I hope.

The resistance of DTO films on glass as shown in US 2564707 ( DTO on glass patent) are not relevent to making anodes IMHO.
The resistance look high when read from the graph, ohms, tens of ohms etc. This gives the impression that if a low Sb content
for the DTO is not chosen then there will be too much voltage drop/ power dissipation in the DTO coating on an anode.
The films in the patent are very very thin. Most of the measured resistances are from films of a unit square by 3870 Angstroms thick.
Thats 0.000387 micrometer thick coat!! A rather puny conductor.
The resistence is measure from one of the unit square end to the other end. This is like measuring gold leaf end to end only gold
leaf is far far thicker that theses films.
The resistance of the DTO coat 'seen' by the current leaving an anode is microscopic compared to the resistances in graph.

The bulk resistance was calculated for some of the examples. Thickness of film examples below are 3870 Angstroms.

Example 2: 1.5 % Sb-------> 17 ohms measured--------------> Resistivity of DTO = 6.58 x 10^-6 ohm Meters---> very small

Example7: 42.3% Sb----->104K ohms mesured----------->Resistivity of DTO = 0.04025 ohm Meters---->very small

Taking a one square cm on the anode (unit square) and assuming the anode DTO coat is 0.001 meters thick (a HUGH thick coat)
The resistance of this square from the point of view of the anode is

Example 2: 6.58 x 10^-9 ohms or 0.00000000658 ohms

Example7: 4.025 x 10^-5 ohms or 0.00004025 ohms.

Assuming a current densiy on anode of 0.2 amps per cm squared this will not represent a measurable volt drop or Power loss.
The Sb content of DTO should not be influenced on the notion of achieving 'minimum resistence' when making anodes.

The above is calculated from Resistence = Resistivity x Length/Area

As an illustration, the resistivity of DTO at approx. 2% Sb content is comparable to graphite but remember the current only has to travel though the thin coating.

A 20% Sb DTO is comparable to, well, 20% Sb DTO, it will not 'drop' voltage.

Hope above is correct

Dann2

Xenoid - 16-12-2007 at 00:37

@ Rosco - I imagine you as the hirsutely challenged person on bass.... :cool:

I recall being devastated when Simon & Garfunkel split up.... :(
How old am I...?

[Edited on 16-12-2007 by Xenoid]

dann2 - 16-12-2007 at 00:46

Hello,

and regarding the old well proven Lead Dioxide coat that will always work????????:(
That's the problem, ye old LD coat in *Amateur* circles has been a total failure IMHO. Sweet dam all people that I know of have got it to work on a long term basis. Hopefully the DTO on Ti will change that.
Hope I am not insulting anyone here but LD up to this point has been a washout and I am talking about the last 10 years, not the last 6 months.
How old is THAT.

Dann2

Rosco Bodine - 16-12-2007 at 01:50

@Xenoid
I felt the need to have a cool breeze blow through and leave some extra cool across this page before I blow my own :D Paul Simon seemed appropriate to the moment .

@dann2 , I get the impression there's nothing I can say here to get you to put together other information that
is well established , from sources beyond the few patents you seem to favor investing confidence as some singular truth , to see the larger picture and draw your own conclusions . You are on a bandwagon there and along for the ride to wherever that confidence (bias) takes you .
There's different ways I have tried to cover this topic and provided references , but none of it registers with you as relevant , so you want to argue the relevance . I don't . It distracts me from working the problems I recognize which you are certain don't exist , because we aren't even on the same page concerning ATO , how it works , proportions , precursors , interpreting measurements ,
expected color indicators, ect . And when I give a valid
explanation which will withstand scrutiny you dispute it
not because you have different information but because
you believe having a different opinion somehow trumps
the data that tells a different story . This really becomes
tiring and frustrating and distracting .

I have no particular preference or bias and simply want
to go where the data leads in indicating higher art .
You act like there is some personal investment you have
which makes that somehow threatening , and that could only be because you have closed your mind and zeroed in on one possible solution you think is *it* like there is
only one way to do this .

And just because your own experience with PbO2 has not been good doesn't mean that PbO2 isn't still the best
and most technically simple solution even if it requires
precisely controlled conditions to do right . If you will
get off this little ATO crusade and let the experiments
proceed in peace , then maybe a solution can be worked out that is more user friendly if not truly idiot proof .
A plausible process was worked out for massive PbO2
and that was no good , too complicated ....so what's
your solution, Titanium substrate , yeah boy that's it .
Just didn't notice that Ti is an exotic material and making use of it requires higher tech than what was causing failure and problems for the PbO2 ? And now you still
likely have the PbO2 to deal with , only now it has a
high tech prosthesis for a backbone . Well damn if
folks just can't hack the massive PbO2 on iron in the
garage , lets fix that technical handicap by adding
complexity two magnitudes greater , and then bitch and whine incessantly about why it should be more difficult .

Let me ask you , are you enjoying playing a troll here
and continually shitting on good data ?

Why don't you go buy yourself a pound of platinum
instead of staying at me for a pound of flesh , because
in the world of technology I am an apex predator .

dann2 - 16-12-2007 at 18:55

Hello,

Quote:
@Xenoid
I felt the need to have a cool breeze blow through and leave some extra cool across this page before I blow my own :D Paul Simon seemed appropriate to the moment .

Try the pills and Absolute ethanol, always works for me :D
You'll be looking for them after listening to that shit, .................(ONLY JOKING).

Quote:
@dann2 , [snip]
you are certain don't exist , because we aren't even on the same page concerning ATO , how it works , proportions , precursors , interpreting measurements ,

My bottom line on the information for DTO for anodes is that I am much, much, much more inclined to follow DTO information that is presented in Anode patents, as opposed to DTO information regarding applications for making resistors/conductors on glass and other non conductive substrates and other time consuming speculation. I have deviated from known solutions in an attempt to use OTC stuff.
I cannot get Stannates to work. No anode guru has either, that I am aware of.
Quote:
And just because your own experience with PbO2 has not been good doesn't mean that PbO2 isn't still the best
precisely controlled conditions to do right .

Thats EXACTLY what I am trying to get away from.
Perhaps I will fail.
I am well aware of how to make Lead Dioxide anodes under well controlled more expensive conditions etc
(large tanks, lab chems. pumps, surfactants, bla bla bla).
Even managed to get a ceramic substrate anode to work for three months continous 24/7 (My claim to fame).
Ceramic substrate anodes are shit, far too fickle and too much trouble to make IMHO.

Quote:
your solution,

Cloth substrate anode :D:D:D
It is illuminating to note that no major manufacturer have touched massive LD Anodes for the past 40/50/60 years with a forty foot bargpole.

Quote:
Titanium substrate , yeah boy that's it .
Just didn't notice that Ti is an exotic material and making use of it requires higher tech than what was causing failure and problems for the PbO2 ? And now you still
complexity two magnitudes greater , and then bitch and whine incessantly about why it should be more difficult .

I shall purchase my Ti, not make it myself :D
The idea (as pointed out to you a long, long, long time ago here
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2465&a... ) is that Ti is self healing/ self sealing. Hopefully (that's hopefullly. It may not work) less demanding Lead Dixode plating conditions will produce workable, repeatable anode(s), it may not. Your opinion is that they will not work (the Ti substrate ones). I intend to try.

Quote:

::Incert Simon and Carabunkle here, as a cooler::
The only reason for my last post was to give a blow by blow worked example in order to illuminate the (non) resistance problem.
Quote:
instead of staying at me for a pound of flesh ,

Quote:
because in the world of technology I am an apex predator .

.............or have I just been ravished by a dead sheep!

Dann2

P.S.
Please disregard all insults towards Simon or/and Garfunkle.

Rosco Bodine - 16-12-2007 at 21:16

Quote:
Hello,

Quote:
@Xenoid

Try the pills and Absolute ethanol, always works for me :D
You'll be looking for them after listening to that shit, .................(ONLY JOKING).

Quote:
@dann2 , [snip]
you are certain don't exist , because we aren't even on the same page concerning ATO , how it works , proportions , precursors , interpreting measurements ,

My bottom line on the information for DTO for anodes is that I am much, much, much more inclined to follow DTO information that is presented in Anode patents, as opposed to DTO information regarding applications for making resistors/conductors on glass and other non conductive substrates and other time consuming speculation.

Yeah but the point here is that your inclination is *not*
science , but you keep arguing it as if it was . The amount of dopant which can be held within solution in the SnO2 ,
doesn't generally have one thing to do with the substrate ,
unless a significant amount of the substrate has itself mingled with the SnO2 to form a ternary system having enhanced cosolvent properties towards the dopant .
Unlikely that this would happen with Ti , and indeed the
Ti and its oxides are known fillers for SnO2 . You are betting that SnO2 does the same thing to Ti oxides as does Ruthenium , and it doesn't work that way . There's no
place for so much Sb dopant to go except to drop out as a separate phase , rupturing the lattice of the SnO2 , and in the process compromising greatly both its physical integrity
mechanically and chemically and reducing its electrical conductivity . You miss the significance of the electrical
resistance measurements and what they indicate , where the values suddenly jump much higher is an indication where
the lattice is ruptured and you no longer have an intact
film . You think that data can just be ignored since the tests
weren't performed on a titanium substrate . You have a
microscope and an ohm meter , and it would be a real surprise if that data doesn't track parallel for the same film
on any substrates which have low solubility in the SnO2 .
Quote:

I have deviated from known solutions in an attempt to use OTC stuff.

Did you quantify your components and keep careful notes of
tare weights for flasks , materials added , weights of residues , making the quantitative survey of the reactions needed to be able to predict what you have as a result ?
Making your own reagents is not a matter of guesswork
when it is solutions that are being prepared , as opposed
to isolating solid end products .
Quote:
I cannot get Stannates to work.

What stannates ? Are you speaking of the ammonium derivatives . And are you saying that the problem was in making them or that you made them okay but in trying them they would not work ? Anyway many of the dopants in
the SnO2 are believed to exist in the form of stannates .
There is some basis in chemistry for that belief , so the the
extent that some of your Sb is in solid solution with SnO2
you may have to that extent actually made *that* stannate work , even if the other two from an ammonia solution were a problem :D
Quote:

No anode guru has either, that I am aware of.

Your awareness is more anecdotal than analytical ,
and it takes a mix to do any fact checking . There are
other *anode specific* patents that put the Sb figure lower
and yet you seem to insist the more unsupported figure
has the greater probability of being correct . That's bias .
Quote:

Quote:
precisely controlled conditions to do right .

Thats EXACTLY what I am trying to get away from.
Perhaps I will fail.

The same patent as was the basis for Alembics Ti substrate PbO2 anode used a DTO interface , and if the DTO interface
was "good enough" for a perchlorate cell as is , then why
bother to apply a PbO2 wearing coating ? And there's a whole slew of other patents that do the same thing , use a DTO on Ti substrate , and then a jacket of PbO2 for the
operating anode coating . Did all of those inventors likely
miss the whole point that the PbO2 wasn't really needed ?
Do you think they were just going to a lot of extra needless work ?
Quote:

I am well aware of how to make Lead Dioxide anodes under well controlled more expensive conditions etc
(large tanks, lab chems. pumps, surfactants, bla bla bla).

Being aware and delivering on performing the task correctly
are two different matters . Exacting work is just that .
Quote:

Even managed to get a ceramic substrate anode to work for three months continous 24/7 (My claim to fame).
Ceramic substrate anodes are shit, far too fickle and too much trouble to make IMHO.

There you go again . Suppose someone else using a different ceramic and a different technique had good results ,
then what ? There may just be a niche set of conditions and materials that will work fine , and everything else is shit ,
and your tests were not in the same range of conditions .
Quote:

Quote:
your solution,

Cloth substrate anode :D:D:D
It is illuminating to note that no major manufacturer have touched massive LD Anodes for the past 40/50/60 years with a forty foot bargpole.

Assuming that's correct , does it mean that the thousands of tons of perchlorates made by the earlier methods involves
a less attainable technology , than the more modern commercial methods using more modern materials .
Often the latest greatest commercial method is the worst thing to try to duplicate as a small scale or improvised method . Newer is not necessarily better , for a more primitive environment .
Quote:

Quote:
Titanium substrate , yeah boy that's it .

I shall purchase my Ti, not make it myself :D
The idea (as pointed out to you a long, long, long time ago here
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=2465&a... ) is that Ti is self healing/ self sealing. Hopefully (that's hopefullly. It may not work) less demanding Lead Dixode plating conditions will produce workable, repeatable anode(s), it may not. Your opinion is that they will not work (the Ti substrate ones). I intend to try.

No it isn't my opinion at all that the Ti substrate anode won't work . In fact it is my opinion that not ony Ti but other substrates are also operable . And I am fully aware of what
valve metals are , as well as why they are deemed to be necessary as substrates for anodes .....it is all about
*Porosity* . If the substrate could be 100% effectively sealed , hermetically sealed beneath the anode working coatings .....then ANY conductive substrate could be used ,
and no valve metal would be required , for passivation
to seal off the defects , the pores , through which corrosive
electrolyte makes it way down to the substrate .

It is *precisely* my understanding of this parameter which
accounts for my emphasis upon the critical importance of
the integrity of the films of SnO2 , and causes me to cast a
discerning eye at the composition of those SnO2 films ,
for *optimizing* the imperviousness of those SnO2 layers
which are nearest to the substrate and serve as its protection from chemical attack . It only makes *good sense*
to optimize the film strength and chemical and electrical properties of the near substrate SnO2 layers . The outer
layers where the catalytic materials are tasked differently ,
can be more porous , indeed may even have greater catalytic effect and be better at their specialized task when made porous deliberately . But for the near substrate lower layers that porosity is an anode killer . I don't know why you can't seem to understand that this is true . Isn't it somewhere in the patents , explained how these composite layered anodes are supposed to work , and doesn't what I am describing fit that explanation ? So why would you think
an SnO2 interface layer having a ruptured lattice from excessive doping would be desirable ? It doesn't make sense .

One thing that does makes sense is that thinner catalytic coatings , and thinner layers of PbO2 can be used on a
conductive ceramic seal coated metal substrate , since the substrate provides strength . And as I have said , some of the patents have said also , *if* the integrity of the sealing
coatings can be made perfect , then any metal can be used for a substrate , copper and aluminum , even iron . The
technology necessary is in the coatings and the interface ,
for both the requirements of what substrate can be used ,
as well as for what wearing coatings go on the outside
and have good efficiency at producing perchlorate .
Quote:

Quote:

::Incert Simon and Carabunkle here, as a cooler::
The only reason for my last post was to give a blow by blow worked example in order to illuminate the (non) resistance problem.

It is not a resistance problem per se , it is what the sudden increase in resistance at a certain composition indicates
is occuring , a rupturing of the SnO2 lattice from oversaturation of the SnO2 solid solution , compromising the
physical and chemical , structural integrity of the layer .
The sudden jump in resistance is a marker that something
else bad has happened , worse than just the electrical degradation which is only the tip of the iceberg .
Quote:

Quote:
instead of staying at me for a pound of flesh ,

Quote:
because in the world of technology I am an apex predator .

.............or have I just been ravished by a dead sheep!

Dann2

P.S.
Please disregard all insults towards Simon or/and Garfunkle.

Beware of the jaws . I like trolls cause they are crunchy. Hopefully we are on the same page now . Please don't come back with more of the ATO is magic at 16% stuff ....
as an interface . Prove it first , because the bulk of the references indicate that is simply not likely at all to be true .

[Edited on 17-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

dann2 - 16-12-2007 at 22:11

Hello,

Quote:

Beware of the jaws . I like trolls cause they are crunchy. Hopefully we are on the same page now . Please don't come back with more of the ATO is magic at 16% stuff ....
as an interface . Prove it first , because the bulk of the references indicate that is simply not likely at all to be true .

[Edited on 16-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Certainly not, the 16%'s a bit low!

When I say Stannates I meant SnCl2 as opposed SnCl4.

Where are the anode patents that extol the virtues of low Sb content? (no conductive/resistive coats on glass patents, or battery or capacitor etc pats)

There are no sharp changes in the resistance curve in the patent we are discussing above. A smooth curve all the way.

Did you read col. 6 line 0 regarding thick coats of DTO.

Regarding LD on top of the DTO. If DTO proves to be a reliable 'holy grail' anode I will not be going near Lead Nitrate. I have me doughts.

Sorry about this but that's all I have time for.

Cheers,
Dann2

Long live the Diamond Shamrock patents.

Rosco Bodine - 16-12-2007 at 22:57

Quote:
(snip)
When I say Stannates I meant SnCl2 as opposed SnCl4.

That is Stann(ous) for the +II valency and
Stann(ic) for the +IV valency .

Stannates are generally substituted bimetal oxides of the
+IV stannic oxide ....a whole different thing .
Like zinc stannate for example .
Quote:

Where are the anode patents that extol the virtues of low Sb content? (no conductive/resistive coats on glass patents, or battery or capacitor etc pats)

I don't recall the numbers right now but I have posted them
before and cited them in response to this exact same discussion about three iterations back and that's precisely why I am losing patience with this argument . It was studied
in the early ruthenium doping related patents where Sb
was being investigated , and there were several references
where the maximum solubility of Sb was identified as ~8%
and the optimum was somewhat less IIRC , and those references were exactly why several of us said that 95/5 solder was good enough , as it was sort of intermediate
in the useful range for Sb to Sn . It's not going to change
if you keep repeating the same old stuff .
Quote:

There are no sharp changes in the resistance curve in the patent we are discussing above. A smooth curve all the way.

Evidently we aren't looking at the same graph .
Col. 5 line 25 is where you need to read .
Quote:

Did you read col. 6 line 0 regarding thick coats of DTO.

Yes I did and I already answered this too when you brought it up before , You are beating a dead horse .
Quote:

Regarding LD on top of the DTO. If DTO proves to be a reliable 'holy grail' anode I will not be going near Lead Nitrate. I have me doughts.

Your doubts that the intermediate layer will be a satisfactory working anode are well founded doubts , because if the
DTO was a satisfactory working layer then there would have been no need for additional coatings as working coatings ,
which have some acceptable efficiency as producers of perchlorate .
Quote:

Sorry about this but that's all I have time for.

Cheers,
Dann2

Long live the Diamond Shamrock patents.

There's some useful information spread out among them ,
and some others too . Lets do good science here
and stop this opinionated unscientific rant . This subject
has been *covered* now for a third time in different threads .
Until there are some intelligent projections based on reported solubilities , oxygen overvoltage for certain dopants , catalytic information , good experimental data or more specific references , can we please give this worn out subject of ATO dopant percentages a rest ?

dann2 - 17-12-2007 at 12:29

Hello,

The patents that extol the virtues of low Sb content as on interface of LD and Ti, do not exist (unless something else is being use along with the Sb + SnO2).
All the Sn02 + Sb that I have seen use high Sb amounts. I have no plans to use Ru or other Nobles.

Regarding the 95/5 being 'good enough', it may well be.
Elecetic was using 95/5 because he can get that OTC. Perhaps (perhaps not) if he could get 90/10 or (dare I say) 82/18 he would use that. I do not know exactly why he made the decision use 95/5, if it was science alone (and not the OTC argument) then, I guess, he agrees with you.
There is no Sb containing solder in my neck of the woods.

Regarding resistance of DTO. Col 5 line 25 says that the resistance changes rapidly so they need to use a log scale. They do not state that the reason the resistance changes rapidly is that the DTO is going through phase changes. The DTO is I am sure going through phase changes. This info cannot be gleaned from a resistance graph alone.
Are you saying that the resistance curve (smooth) tracks phase changes that occur as we change Sb content? I do not believe it does.

Quote:

Your doubts that the intermediate layer will be a satisfactory working anode are well founded doubts , because if the
DTO was a satisfactory working layer then there would have been no need for additional coatings as working coatings ,
which have some acceptable efficiency as producers of perchlorate .

What is acceptable to me and what is acceptable to industry is two very different things. DOT may (may not) suit the back yard brigade.
Magnetite suited the Japanese when graphite was scarce, it was not touched by others.
If a high Sb content for a DTO interface is good enough for the Diamond Shamrock people (assuming their examples are not downright lies) then it is good enough for me to try, and I shall be doing so. You are going to have to grin and bare, clinch you teeth, think of England, etc, etc, while I preform the operation.

I do not belive there is a 'best' percentage of Sb.
It is a compromise. I intend to follow the examples in the Diamond Shamrock pat's (the one's 'cobbled together to extract more money out of the writers employers').
You do not think they will work. You may be right.

Dann2

Xenoid - 17-12-2007 at 13:55

@ Dann2
@ Rosco

This is the Co oxide (spinel) thread!

How about continuing this discussion (hopefully non-acrimoniously) in the Antimony/Tin Oxide thread;

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8253

Or had you all forgotten about it?

DerAlte - 17-12-2007 at 14:32

Gentlemen, I have been following this and other similar threads on coated metal anodes. What exactly is your purpose in all this mainly fruitless activity? To make a single purpose anode for chlorate production? A chlorate factory? I am sure you all know perfectly well that this can be done with straight carbon anodes. Read 12AX7’s posts and see his neat and innovative high current cell and note his production numbers. Well, done, 12AX7, though I cannot imagine why anyone wants that much! Even for pyrotechnics.

Like a good engineer he also has calculated his cost of production. Sure it uses up carbon. Carbon is cheap! The pyrotechnics boys have been doing this for over 30 years, possibly longer. Certainly since the birth of the internet.

Although I very much admire the industry of Xenoid (where do you find the time and energy, X?) and it looks like he is close to some sort of success, is it really worth all this effort? The efforts of Dann2 and jpsmith are also noteworthy.

I have given up reading Rosco’s verbose and repetitive posts in this thread. Apart from being difficult to follow and with endless references to (probably) useless patents, he has a fixation with spinels, to me merely a class of minerals. Lord help us if he gets on to perskovites… Call them mixed metals oxides, MMOs. A monometal spinel? That one got me until I realized he meant Co3O4 (I think – it’s difficult to follow his acrobatic mind).. Magnetite is classed as a spinel mineral, IIRC. But are these MMO coatings really spinels?

I realize that the holy grail of all this is probably perchlorate, and agree that is a horse of a different color. But even perchlorate can be made with carbon anodes. Do not imagine that the same cell structure and conditions work for both. I have made both using carbon, some ten years ago being the last time. I still have a few ounces of both but haven’t made any since, but feel tempted to try again – using naked carbon anodes... I am a heretic. I see I am in danger of going OT here, so enough. If anyone is interested in good old carbon, I’ll post my thoughts somewhere more appropriate.

Rosco, if you kept your posts shorter and with less repetition, maybe you could impart something useful to the experimenters. I am no judge but it is easy to be a critic.

Regards, Der Alte.

Xenoid - 17-12-2007 at 14:56

@ DerAlte

This is true SCIENCE MADNESS... :D

Personally speaking, I am finding this quite an interesting endeavour, and thoroughly enjoying myself.

Here in NZ I have to import genuine graphite anodes from the US, the postage, etc, etc costs 5 times the price of the graphite. Gouging rods work, but they disintegrate fairly quickley, and introduce all sorts of colloidal contaminants.

The dream of going directly from salt to perchlorate with a perfectly clear solution, and anodes that only need replacing say once per year is highly desirable. After experiencing the simplistic beauty of a perchlorate cell using a platinised Ti anode and Ti cathode, there is no going back (well, with the exception of my 10 litre bucket cell, that is) for me!

DerAlte, I touched on this in an earlier post (and someone please correct me if I am wrong) but industry does not particularly need a anode (even a fairly efficient one) that goes from salt to perchlorate. They have ultra efficient - long lived chlorate anodes, and the same for perchlorate. The chlor-alkali industry is huge, the perchlorate small, they can use cheap chlorate for feedstock.

It seems to me that there is a lot of scope here for the amateur to try all sorts of things and even if a "holy grail" anode is half as efficient and has 1/10 the longevity of an industrial process it doesn't really matter.

Remember high temperature superconductors - who would have thought that, mix a witches brew of oxides together and bake in an oven.

If it proves possible to develop an anode that can be made simply, by baking a few coats of easily obtained materials on to it, why would any one want to go back to gouging rods or even graphite!

If we were to follow your line of reasoning we would still be listening to the radio using a cat's whisker and a galena crystal, it works, but not particulary well....:D
Oh, I thought of another, people were using candles to make light for centuries and they thought it was a really great way, until along came the incandescent, then the fluorescent and now the white LED. I know which process I prefer when trying to drill a hole in titanium, and it isn't a candle!

[Edited on 17-12-2007 by Xenoid]

chloric1 - 17-12-2007 at 15:09

@Der Alt-I have read your post before making perchlorate via carbon. If thats working to your satisfaction then great. This August/September was my first time making chlorate electrolytically. As much as I derived satifaction from it, I could not stand all the gunk and debris. I managed to obtain pure white chlorate after performing a number of filtering and purification parlor tricks but knew there was something better so I quit temporarily with my 700 or 800 grams of sodium chlorate. I feel Xenoid is on the same boat with me by hating the ridiculous crud. He is nothing less than inspiring especially considering Rosco's knowledge and perspective. Strangely, Roso spends so much time bashing dann2 yet I cannot remember seeing any actual working anode from him. It is not easy to experiment when one has so many obligations but I digress, some just talk alot.

@Xenoid-well got the heat gun now just need to prepare the precursor cobalt nitrate, nicke nitrate, and manganese nitrate. I have some bismuth metal if I can find it. Would like to make some bismuth nitrate soup:cool: So how is Gerty doing? Do you still have some lithium perchorate thing running?

[Edited on 12/17/2007 by chloric1]

[Edited on 12/17/2007 by chloric1]

Xenoid - 17-12-2007 at 15:38

Quote:
Originally posted by chloric1
@Xenoid-well got the heat gun now just need to prepare the precursor cobalt nitrate, nicke nitrate, and manganese nitrate. I have some bismuth metal if I can find it. Would like to make some bismuth nitrate soup:cool: So how is Gerty doing? Do you still have some lithium perchorate thing running?

Chloric - I have had to take a break (at the risk of divorce).

1) The 4-coat Co-spinel anode has finally passivated after 11 days in a chlorate cell.

2) Li (per)chlorate cell is still bubbling away, I added some more water this morning. I don't have a clue what it's doing or how long it will last!

3) "Gerty" is sitting on a bench, still awaiting a perchlorate catalytic outer coating! I plan to add several coats of Sb doped beta MnO2. I am about to make, hopefully some Sb nitrate (dissolve Sb2O3 in excess cold, conc. nitric acid).

4) I have obtained some iso-propyl alcohol to improve coating technique.

5) I have made some Pb nitrate which is crystallising at the moment.

6) I have sourced some 99.99% Bismuth here in NZ. I first checked Bi shot at sports shops, minimum purchase was 3Kg for a couple of hundred $$$s.. :o
I have now found some for about NZ$40 per Kg but the company has closed down for Christmas and will not open again until January 7th... (Hey, this is NZ).

7) I am making another Chlorate cell using two of my MMO (RuO2/TiO2) chlorinator cell electrodes just to try them out!

8) I am stll not divorced...:D

chloric1 - 17-12-2007 at 15:58

Amen- Can't live without my wife and 2 year old but experiementing is definately frowned on here. I need to sell some of my anodes just to keep things in check. Told her I would use the heat gun to remove the death gray ugly paint off the kitchen cabinets. Need to buy the scraper though. I did prove to her how useful this gun is. Yesterday, the back gate lock was encased in ice and not only did I defrost it but heated bone dry! The relentess snow and ice has hampered my efforts immensely. I forgot my barium nitrate on my bench and it is covered in 12 centimeters of snow. It might be 2 degrees Celsius tommorrow. That is when I will reclaim my barium and at least react some cobalt sulfate with baking soda to get the carbonate. If I have enough beakers available I will try some soda with some nickel sulfate. I will be about 15% where I need to be but at least it is a start. I like summer better for comfort but winter is nice because the air is cold and dry. Great for crystalizing things!:D

dann2 - 17-12-2007 at 17:20

Hello,

@DerAlt
Thanks for the compliment.
You have "given up reading Rosco’s verbose and repetitive posts"
I presume you are still reading my verbose and repetitive posts, eh :D:D

Regarding the Perchlorate with Graphite. I am a 100% 'doubting Thomas' when I hear of Perchlorate made with Graphite. Did you ever try a conc. sulphuric acid test on a 50/50 mixture of your Perk. + sugar. Use eye protection. Perhaps I asked you this before.
There are lots of accounts on the net showing great yields of Perchlorate from Graphite. The vast majority of them all stem from the one source 8/9 years written by a guy who has since admitted it was bullshit. I have not been able to make it in any sensible fashion or yield with C.
Roscoe posted a patent some time ago showing a cell with C and a diaphram. It would be a very interesting project IMHO.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8592&a...

Since this is a Co Oxide thread...................
My Co Oxide anodes are still going OK. Only two days so they have only started.
The DTO in Lithium Cell still OK, need to check for Perk. I need to see if the Perk. is forming yet (easily) as per the patent.

The DTO in Na Perk. cell has run now for 14? days. 'Run Time' of cell is 10 days.
I want to titrate the Chlorate to see if DTO can reduce the Chlorate level down to where it is sensible to simply take the liquid from cell and destroy all residual Chlorate to get pure Perk.

@Roscoe Perhaps a wee bit of indulgence was engaged in but I have to confess I did enjoy it!!!

Dann2
Totally, absolutely and completely relaxed communication with his fellow communicators in the Co Oxide thread.

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u200/anodes_2007/smash2vu...

p.s. Though shalt not speak ill of the Diamond Shamrock patents.:D

[Edited on 18-12-2007 by dann2]

Rosco Bodine - 17-12-2007 at 17:57

Quote:
Originally posted by DerAlte
I have given up reading Rosco’s verbose and repetitive posts in this thread. Apart from being difficult to follow and with endless references to (probably) useless patents, he has a fixation with spinels, to me merely a class of minerals.

It's way more than patents that are the basis for my studies of this subject . It isn't me who is FIXATED on one ambiguous reference and trying to redefine science using that dubious information as a guide .

Merely a class of minerals ? If you read the patents and journal references you think are useless you wouldn't have that oversimplification as your confusion . It is the notable electrical and chemical properties of certain ones which makes those particular ones interesting , along with the fact that they can be readily made at relatively low temperatures from fairly common materials . All of that
makes these materials pertinent to experiments concerning
the making of a durable and efficient perchlorate anode .

Quote:

Lord help us if he gets on to perskovites… Call them mixed metals oxides, MMOs. A monometal spinel? That one got me until I realized he meant Co3O4 (I think – it’s difficult to follow his acrobatic mind)..

Oh yes I'm really turning somersaults trying to hijack a focused thread with meaningless anecdotal bullshit
masquerading as science , whilst at the same time trying to
sort out the mystery of valency hierarchy indicated by
3rd grade science class suffixes like "ic" and "ous" .
Yeah I'm really the one that's lost here and out of my element huh .

A debate and discussion is an exchange of information .
An argument is generally just an exchange of ignorance
and a waste of time .

Quote:

Magnetite is classed as a spinel mineral, IIRC. But are these MMO coatings really spinels?

Not the entire composite no , just the interface and
some other components .

Quote:

I realize that the holy grail of all this is probably perchlorate, and agree that is a horse of a different color. But even perchlorate can be made with carbon anodes. Do not imagine that the same cell structure and conditions work for both. I have made both using carbon, some ten years ago being the last time. I still have a few ounces of both but haven’t made any since, but feel tempted to try again – using naked carbon anodes... I am a heretic. I see I am in danger of going OT here, so enough. If anyone is interested in good old carbon, I’ll post my thoughts somewhere more appropriate.

Rosco, if you kept your posts shorter and with less repetition, maybe you could impart something useful to the experimenters. I am no judge but it is easy to be a critic.

Regards, Der Alte.

I was *very focused* on the subject of this thread until
it was hijacked for the satisfaction of someones ego
who wants to make this thread about something else .

It would please me to resume that focused task on which I was working , if left to that task instead of being distracted with the breach of decorum by someone who seems intent on diverting this thread .

I want to do science here , not arguments about off topic
nonsense involving the percentage content of Sb in ATO .
This *is* indeed the cobalt oxide anode thread , and I would much prefer the topic had never changed . I was the person to first post concerning the possible usefulness of cobalt in this endeavor as an alternative interface material , and possibly having greater value as well . For several months I have been thinking about ways to make use of the material .

If you have something constructive to add in this thread or
any other I am always happy for the sharing of information .
And I promise , we won't have to cover the same thing in
different threads , several different ways for either of us
to "get it" . If you tell me something I don't understand ,
I'll do more reading till I do understand , instead of arguing with you pretending to know something I don't .

chemoleo - 17-12-2007 at 18:20

Ok let's stop it right there and get back to the topic of this discussion - cobalt oxide anodes!

Bismuth Oxide catalytic anode coating

Rosco Bodine - 17-12-2007 at 18:49

Okay , back on topic , resuming with prior business
of interest before the unfortunate detour occurred ....
think *bismuth* is a possible catalytic oxide coating ,
which seems "most likely" among those three possibles
listed in the MnO2 patent which claimed such unusual
efficiency in perchlorate production .

Bismuth has been mentioned in several perchlorate anode related patents as useful , specifically as a coating catalyst for perchlorate anodes . If had to put money
on the most likely one of the three As , Sb , and Bi ,
my money is on the Bi .

Curiously , bismuth nitrate also undergoes pyrolytic
decomposition to form an adherent film , similarly
as does SnO2 , and at a lower temperature it can even
be applied by spraycoat pyrolysis or by other methods .

It may possibly serve as working anode outer layer
alone . I am accumulating references and trying to
formulate a plan . Will post anything pertinent that
I find .

Here's something interesting as a possible filler
and final coating component
50nm microcrystalline Bi2O3 at 100C
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2005.03.037

Attachment: Bismuth Nitrate spray pyrolysis film.pdf (101kB)
This file has been downloaded 1065 times

Xenoid - 17-12-2007 at 22:22

@ Rosco, I will have to try Sb for the moment and even that is proving difficult. I wont have any Bi till the new year!

Regarding the 4 - coat Co spinel anode chlorate cell. It appears to have produced a considerable amount of chlorate. I put a few mls of solution in a test tube and added a little saturated KCl, there was immediate fine crystalline precipitation. I put it in the fridge and the solution is now about half crystals... :D

I've also checked this for perchlorate, but as might be expected it is absent!

[Edited on 18-12-2007 by Xenoid]

DerAlte - 17-12-2007 at 22:37

Apologies for butting in above.

@Xenoid – I understand –it’s like climbing mountains – because they’re there. Go to it! The filth the C anode produces is about as bad as manganese dioxide– but you know all about that too.

@Dann2 – you’ve got me worried. I am going to check the old bottle with white powder in it to see whether it is perchlorate or bullshit.

@Rosco – no offense, just a small dig. You do tend to get a bit verbose, though!

Butting out, but reading with interest,

Der Alte

The_Davster - 17-12-2007 at 22:40

I wonder if bismuth subnitrate in a nitric acid solution could suffice in that paper you posted Rosco? Bismuth subnitrate is common and decently priced at pottery stores, I have a half pound of it that I ordered a while ago.

Xenoid - 17-12-2007 at 22:54

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Davster
Bismuth subnitrate is common and decently priced at pottery stores, I have a half pound of it that I ordered a while ago.

Yes! I inquired about this a while ago at my local pottery place. My tame pottery supplier said it was now listed as a hazardous substance (OMG - it has NITRATE in the name). I should make further inquiries I suppose. He said there was someone around here who was using it. It produces spectacular glaze effects!

Rosco Bodine - 17-12-2007 at 23:53

Quote:
@ Rosco, I will have to try Sb for the moment and even that is proving difficult. I wont have any Bi till the new year!

Regarding the 4 - coat Co spinel anode chlorate cell. It appears to have produced a considerable amount of chlorate. I put a few mls of solution in a test tube and added a little saturated KCl, there was immediate fine crystalline precipitation. I put it in the fridge and the solution is now about half crystals... :D

@Xenoid , that's a good deal , it's snowing chlorate :cool:
The Co spinel has useful properties in at least three different schemes , which happen to be the same three schemes that are being applied here , and that's no coincidence , it's an integrated system being conteplated .
It's when the three schemes converge that longevity
and efficiency should result . Up to this point your experiments are really preliminary tests which reveal promise for the larger scheme working . So far so good .

A quick OTC source for Bi may be fishing sinkers , egg sinkers up to 3/4 ounce are in some stores . I still have to get some Mn and do the improvised method on that for
nitrate . Regarding the Sb , antimony can actually have some catalytic effect alone and can also act as a dopant on the bismuth , but my educated guess is it is likely the bismuth that will be the principal active catalyst component in the outer coating , but the Sb will be a good
included component in the system for other reasons.

And Bi is known to work with lead , US4101390 shows
87% curent efficiency for chlorate and also claims good perchlorate efficiency with very small catalytic amounts of Bi added to PbO2 . I believe it is a parallel with the baked MnO2 anode of US4072586 ,
only the method of dispersion would be different for the
baked MnO2 anode . That was why the 50nm Bi2O3
gotten on reflux overnight at 100C caught my notice .
I am not sure about the thermal properties , so a different method may be required , but it may be possible just to add the Bi2O3 nanocrystalline material as a thixotropic
component to your final baked coating , and bingo you
should have a catalytic anode coating with high selectivity for chlorate / and perchlorate . Hopefully 90% current efficiency can be achieved on the perchlorate from chlorate , and it should be correspondingly good for
the other stages up from the chloride as well .

There still needs to be an SnO2 sealing layer over the spinel interface . I am positive on that . But the sealing
SnO2 over spinel should be a no fuss SnO2 since it
is only a sealing layer and not some multipurpose
coating having to be handled some special way ,
as when the interface has not been already resolved .

Even if the Bi-Pb electrodeposition ended up being the
outer coating , that coating is very thin and should not
be any laborious plating .

What the idea is with this sandwich layering is to
put the best materials to work at what they do best ,
instead of trying to make one coating that can't do it all
be multi-tasked to destruction trying to do the impossible .

The layer system system I have been contemplating
works as follows :

The hydrided substrate is stable up to ~200C .

The spinel is a superb interface and anti-passivation
material which takes the handoff on baking from the hydride , and anti-passivates the Ti creating a stable though not yet perfectly encapsulated substrate .

SnO2 hermetically seals that spinel coated substrate .

And then the working anode coating complete with catalysts goes on the outside .

If that is a repetition of what I said before , sorry
I lost track . I am going to request some references
to better pin down the final details on how to use
the Bi in the baked coating scheme . I'll get back
with those references later .

Edit: See attached article
Synthesis of bismuth oxide nanoparticles at 100 -C

[Edited on 18-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Attachment: Synthesis of bismuth oxide nanoparticles at 100 -C j.matlet.2005.03.037.pdf (116kB)
This file has been downloaded 8734 times

chloric1 - 18-12-2007 at 16:47

Rosco, thank you for the bismuth info especially since I am not a university student right now and have no journal access. So you advocate bismuth doped lead dioxide? Since you cannot pyrolize lead nitrate to its dioxide would it not be prudent to disperse the already prepared lead dioxide powder in concentrated bismuth nitrate to put over the Stannic oxide sealant? Or should the working layer be another cobalt spinel coat with the catalyst mixed in? The number of parameters is increasing in orders of magnitude with this discussion. I only have two titanium rods to work with and I am trying to decide which nitrate precusors to prepare. I know I shouldn't repeat Xenoids work exactly but I really wish to get a "feel" for the cobalt spinel alone for myself. I may have a novel perspective or maybe my experience will only further confirm Xenoids results.

Rosco Bodine - 18-12-2007 at 20:22

Quote:
Rosco, thank you for the bismuth info especially since I am not a university student right now and have no journal access. So you advocate bismuth doped lead dioxide?

Yeah I think it is significant that the Bi has come up in several
different perchlorate specific anode designs , as a catalyst .
It seems pretty likely either to function via some bi-electrode
couple or it may possibly be an active catalyst by itself .
Quote:

Since you cannot pyrolize lead nitrate to its dioxide would it not be prudent to disperse the already prepared lead dioxide powder in concentrated bismuth nitrate to put over the Stannic oxide sealant?
I am open to any suggestions or theories as to the mechanisms or the various proposed schemes for getting the Bi into the baked coating .
There is going to be diffusion on baking among whatever form precursors are used , not only within the outside layer
but between the layers . It is something like the way an automobile tire is made from layers that are then heated
and fused together into a unitary structure having embedded
components , with the Bi here will be like "snow studs" and
perhaps some of the "tread" layer , where the rubber meets the road . :D The "snow studs" in this analogy would be distinct 50nm microcrystals , like a speckled egg or sand in
wet paint , a separate phase , but having those particles
diffusion bonded into the composite , like tiny icebergs in a frozen sea .

I have some imaginings what it might look like if you could
climb into a tiny nanospacecraft and descend to take a look:D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpLNsdbOPPs&feature=relat...

Quote:

Or should the working layer be another cobalt spinel coat with the catalyst mixed in?

Going by Xenoids experiment with the MnO2 over cobalt spinel , we know the outer layer is at least 85% MnO2 ,
and can then attempt to extrapolate the percentages for
the remaining materials , via solid solution parameters
which would seem likely to produce the envisioned effect .
The percentages are probably not critical for getting something that will work . These catalytic coatings are
something of an art , as would be used for finish glazes
on decorative ceramics . It is down to a point where it
becomes tweaking the system by observed effects which
produce the final touch .
Quote:

The number of parameters is increasing in orders of magnitude with this discussion.

It may be possible to combine some of the functions of the separate layers into one coating mixture , I'm not sure .
This scheme should work with some variation within
certain limits .
Quote:

I only have two titanium rods to work with and I am trying to decide which nitrate precusors to prepare. I know I shouldn't repeat Xenoids work exactly but I really wish to get a "feel" for the cobalt spinel alone for myself.

Yeah it doesn't really progress things to reprove what already is established , but it doesn't hurt anything .
What would seem to be the next logical step to me would
be to do the hydriding and baked spinel interface , one coat only up to perhaps four coats of spinel , ( Xenoid has the eyes on location sense about this ) and then try a simple
oxidative soak deposition of plain hydrated SnO2 gotten from
SnCl2 + NaNO3 , and then bake that to seal the spinel interface . Alternately an ammonium stannate dip and bake
would seem a good bet . No doping is really needed because
the doping should be picked up by diffusion from the spinel
layer , when the SnO2 is baked . If this does not occur as
anticipated then some sort of doping can be applied externally after baking as a subsequent diffusion from
the top , via a dip in SbCl3 followed by baking or by using
a doped stannates mixture , doped with Sb or Co nitrate ,
or both together . Or letting diffusion from a doped subsequent layer following such schemes do the job ,
or yet again by using the original mixed chlorides ATO
precursor ...all of these schemes would probably work .
But you see the corrosive schemes using chlorides becomes
a last resort rather than the first choice . And definitely
no heavily doped SnO2 layer is needed , nor desired .
Quote:

I may have a novel perspective or maybe my experience will only further confirm Xenoids results.

Heck I trust Xenoids results already , and no real surprises there except it works even better than expected :D
So I want to look at the 7:3 cobalt-nickel spinel interface
but by the time I get around to it , it will already be done
probably by Twospoons , IIRC . I can't help the delays ,
as I have a plateful of other stuff that keeps me at a
distance , and this is like the model airplane that goes
together a piece at a time , over many months where I
can take a few minutes here and there , to apply to the build . You fellows are three months ahead of me on implementation , but I have also been scrounging the references as well as the hardware . If this works out , maybe patent the anode and let the proceeds act as a trust for this forum , to keep the site going in perpetuity . In a way it is already public domain , but in another way it is ultimately Polverones , for indulging us in such pursuits . Call it a work for hire where we worked for peanuts , if it doesn't turn out to be just another back to the drawing board scenario .
Given the sad state of affairs for science in the schools ,
this waterhole needs to kept a well in the desert long after we are all gone as a legacy .

[Edited on 18-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

chloric1 - 19-12-2007 at 14:59

Rosco you really said it. I am quite optimistic though. I mean we came this far in just 2 or so weeks after YEARS of lead dioxide setbacks. There are many unresolved home chemistry issues to crack but this perchlorate one is a biggy. So let us crank it out hard and heavy. If I can pull off getting back to school and into a chemistry program, I will need this forum more than ever. I knew in the late 1980's that the established education system would water down about any love or enthusiasm for the field of chemistry so I studied other things. Turns out my career path was in error and I decided I should only do what I really love and nothing else. This forum will keep me "awake" so I don't lose my way.

Rosco Bodine - 20-12-2007 at 04:16

Yeah this forum is a quite unique and a valuable resource
for brainstorming , an informal think tank of sorts ,
some small comforting sanctuary for thinkers and experimenters .

My reference mining for bits of useful information is not really producing any significant search hits anymore
and I am getting crosseyed from reading the more general
long lists of hundreds of more vague sorts of search results trying to find anything more . So it is probably time
for me to close the search for more unless some new parameter for possible search hits occurs to me .

The spinel I think really is the most promising interface
because the conditions required for getting it right are
fairly easily reachable , moreso than alternatives .

The sealing layer of SnO2 also is simplified .

The outer coating and getting the selectivity for good
efficiency for a perchlorate anode is where the technical difficulty arises , because the "recipe" for that *special*
baked coating is not well specified . So here comes the experiments , and reverse engineering by guess and test .

However , the Bi + PbO2 electrodeposited perchlorate
anode coating is well detailed and is one of the thinnest platings that is advertised to work well and have good
service life . No guessing there .

So there really is no good reason to get overly discouraged about the uncertainties concerning the outer layer where a baked coating there is desirable ,
because even if a very good one is never found ,
there is still the old standby electrodeposited coating which should work , and being a thin layer deposit
could be just fine .

IMO , either way it goes with the wearing coating ,
the overall system is still more easily implemented
and more likely to work well for a long time , than
alternative schemes . Anyway ...it's different :D

Now , I think I'll take a break , need some downtime .

Gertrude the Anode

Xenoid - 22-12-2007 at 21:36

For the moment I have given up trying to produce a soluble Sb compound which would be suitable for doping the MnO2 coating of "Gerty" in a suitable quantitative fashion. I have thus left this aspect of the anode layering process until my Bi arrives in the new year.

In the mean time I have decided that there is no point in doping the MnO2 if it doesn't hold up well in plain form in a (per)chlorate cell. I have therefore decreed that "Gerty" shall be subjected to that form of Hell that masquerades as a perchlorate cell. But first I will add another 6 coats of MnO2.

Since I now have some isopropyl alcohol, I decided to mix some with the Mn nitrate in the fashion of some of the patent "recipes". Each of the six coats, used a different solution and/or procedure. Without going into detail at this time, there appeared to be little difference in the efficacy of the 6 methods. The isopropyl alcohol increased the loading, but this just meant some of the coat rubbed off when polished between coats. Part of the problem is "Gerty's" glossy, enamelled coat, no liquid wants to adhere smoothly to it. It forms runs and droplets, which when baked produce a thicker, crusty coat, this tends to rub off. I even resorted to using a few drops of an agricultural spray penetrant on the last coat, but even this had little effect.

The additional coats were baked on at 350 oC. +/- 10 oC., I had planned on going as high as 380 oC. but the heat gun wasn't up to it today (must have been high electricity load in the area).

Gertrude was introduced to a "new" test cell with dual cathodes to even up the current density. I have started the run with a conservative 25mA/cm^2 (0.5 amps) at 3.5 volts. Immediately the current was turned on large bubbles formed and there was a swirl of "permanganate" purple. This ceased after a few seconds, and the bubbles decreased in size (I guess as the surface roughs up).

The cell has been running smoothly now for 5 hours, on constant current mode (0.5 amps) and the voltage has slowly dropped to 3.3 volts. The cell has a slight rosy tinge (which seems constant), more typical of Mn(II) rather than Mn(VII). There is a slight amount of "black scum" around the meniscus. Unfortunately, a methylene blue test does not indicate the presence of perchlorate yet!

dann2 - 23-12-2007 at 05:11

Hello,

Some of the articles for DTO going onto Ti have heated the Ti up to 480C or so (decomposition temp. of the Tin Chlorides) and then sprayed on the DT0 precursor. Might work for the Mn if you put the precursor in a perfume bottle (the one's you can refill) and spray onto hot anode to stop the problem of the precursor not wetting the anode. It will dry instantly.
You could mix precursor half and half with perfume to keep Gertude sweet too :P

My two Cobalt Oxide anodes that I was testing in Chlorate cells failed some days ago. The one with the ligher coating failed one day, approx. before the one with the heavier coat.

Dann2

[Edited on 23-12-2007 by dann2]

Rosco Bodine - 23-12-2007 at 05:42

We know what reportedly wets anything including teflon
is the mixed valency tin chlorides polymer of US3890429 . Situations like this would seem like a good place to put it to use .

Other good anode names are of course Lola and Bertha ,
Dolly and Mabel and Elvira :P

[Edited on 23-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

chloric1 - 23-12-2007 at 10:37

Quote:
You could mix precursor half and half with perfume to keep Gertude sweet too :P

{quote]

Dann you are a card!:P:P:D But no seriously, I feel your observation is quite sensible if you cannot get good wetting. After all, when Gerty was first made, the Ti rod was etched providing a workable surface for the first coatings. And the manganese just morphed into the cobalt oxide coating.

@Xenoid- I was sure that Gerty was going to be a good performer. If not a good perchlorate maker at least a decent MMO for long term chlorate making use. It seems that the manganese might not be stable enough on its own. Or maybe you should start with NaCl brine and try all the way to perchlorate. Personally, I don't understand why you are getting manganese leached into your solution unless the manganese was not completely decomposed. Maybe a longer bake time might help.

@Rosco-IMHO these silly names might actually have scientific value in these quest or ours. These would serve as simple identifiers to anodes made by specific methodologies in a certain sequence. Provided an accurate and complete discription is available from the start the contents and properties of said anode would be understood in the forum when me, you, Xenoid, or someone else says Bertha gave up the ghost in 5 days in brine. I have a four day weekend and am hoping to turn out at least one anode. The name I am considering is Dorothy.
[Edited on 12/23/2007 by chloric1]

[Edited on 12/23/2007 by chloric1]

Xenoid - 23-12-2007 at 11:59

Quote:
@Xenoid- I was sure that Gerty was going to be a good performer. If not a good perchlorate maker at least a decent MMO for long term chlorate making use. It seems that the manganese might not be stable enough on its own. Or maybe you should start with NaCl brine and try all the way to perchlorate. Personally, I don't understand why you are getting manganese leached into your solution unless the manganese was not completely decomposed. Maybe a longer bake time might help.

Update on Gertrude: After 20 hours, electrical parameters are stable, the slight rosy pink ??Mn(II) colour has faded, I think it may have oxidised to MnO2 as there is a little black on the bottom of the cell, black MnO2 from the meniscus has largely disappeared as well!
I will check for perchlorate at at 24 hours, and also increase the current density to 50mA/cm^2.

Re Naming: Lets not be sexist about this. I am about to clone Gertrude in a male form (Hubert). Hubert will be placed in a chlorate cell and tested to destruction... :o

Also the anode description protocol used by R.P.Wang is usefull, list the anode components outwards, perhaps adding a number for the number of coats. In this system, Gertrude would be:

Ti/2xCo3O4/14xbetaMnO2

[Edited on 23-12-2007 by Xenoid]

12AX7 - 23-12-2007 at 12:00

You're working with rods, right? A male name would generally make more sense then. Freud would agree. ;)

Tim

Rosco Bodine - 23-12-2007 at 15:28

Uhhhh ...... Tim , it's not the rod itself that is the primary interest here , but rather the processes and most satisying
coatings applied thereon :D , you know , what sort ,
how many times ...how hot , .......the benefits of threesomes in coating sequences , endurance , and so forth :P You just need to broaden your perspective .

12AX7 - 23-12-2007 at 16:19

Ah, true... :D

Gertrude makes perchlorate.

Xenoid - 26-12-2007 at 18:17

Update on Gertrude and her adventures in a perchlorate cell.

Well to cut a long story short, I completely messed up the testing procedure!

1) I carried out the testing with what I thought was saturated NaClO3 solution, but after carrying out some density measurements (1.22) it was actually only 354g/L or only ~ 106g NaClO3 in my 300 ml test cell.

2) About 1/3 the way through the run, I decided there was "something wrong" with the solution, I thought perhaps it was NaCl. I won't go into my reasons for this, but suffice to say I changed the electrolyte. As it turned out, to exactly the same concentration and composition.

3) I varied the current density 3 times, starting at about 25 mA/cm^2, increasing to 50 mA/cm^2 and finally increasing again to 75 mA/cm^2. These were carried out at approximately 24 hour intervals.

4) My initial fears about "Gerty" not producing perchlorate were totally unfounded. She has produced copious quantities, there was a problem with the methylene blue test (see below). If doping with Bi improves perchlorate production that will be even better.

5) I added two "lots" of unweighed solid NaClO3 crystals, during the testing, so the true amount present is any bodies guess!

Basically Gertude has run for the equivalent of 76 Amp hours in a low NaClO3 concentration perchlorate cell (see attached image) at the above mentioned current densities. Unfortunately she has not come through unscathed, although still appearing "as new". The presence of purple permanganate, and black precipitate indicates the anode has eroded, how much, I'm not sure. Much of the detritus in the cell has turned out to be erosion products from the SS cathode (especially from the head space area). As I pointed out elsewhere, if you want a clean running cell (chlorate or perchlorate) use Ti cathodes.

Methylene Blue (MB) testing:

When running previous Pt based perchlorate cells I have never had a problem with this test, an intense violet ppt. is formed. This holds true for the Li perchlorate cell I am currently running, as well.
With this "Gertrude" based cell, however, my first 3 or so checks produced negative results. Finally in desperation I added a few grains of NaOH to ensure the solution was alkaline, before adding the MB, this resulted in an immediate violet ppt. I was confused by this because Dann2's pages mention perchlorate cells drifting alkaline. I then attempted to check the pH of the cell. I don't have a pH meter (I have now ordered one) so I used some fish tank indicator. I think this is bromophenol blue in a pH=6 buffer solution as it is a yellow colour. When added to the electrolyte the indicator went a bluish green then in a few seconds turned yellow indicating a pH around 5 - 6. Thinking this was a little strange, and that there was perhaps some bleaching action, I boiled the solution but this made no difference. A check with the indicator in the Li perchlorate electrolyte gave an instant pH ~= 5 indication. Subsequent tests showed MB gave positive results for K perchlorate in a solution acidified with 5% H2SO4. MB gives negative reaction to weak permanganate solution.
A diluted solution of electrolyte from the "Gertrude" cell gave a yoghurt ppt. with saturated KCl.

So a couple of questions:

1) Why are both the "Gerty" electrode cell and the Li perchlorate cell drifting acid instead of alkaline?

2) Why the unusual reaction to the indicator, by the "Gerty" cell?

3) Why a negative result for MB in an acid solution for the "Gerty" cell when MB clearly works down to at least pH = 4

I have now restarted "Gertrude" at 1 amp (50mA/cm^2) and 4.0 volts in a fresh NaClO3 cell of density = 1.39, this corresponds to a 46% solution (near saturated) and 192g in my 300 ml cell.
At 100% efficiency 96.8 amp hours are required to convert this to perchlorate.
At 50% efficiency 193.6 amp hours are required to convert this to perchlorate.

Sorry for the long post, but I was typing it up for my own notes.

Edit: Whoops! The blue pen mark next to the anode indicates the approximate electrolyte level. There is no obvious erosion line on the anode!

[Edited on 26-12-2007 by Xenoid]

Gertrude76Hrs.jpg - 10kB

Methylene Blue and pH Drift

Xenoid - 27-12-2007 at 09:26

I've done a little sleuthing on Methylene Blue, here is a useful reference, it also lists several other species which produce coloured ppts. with MB:

http://www.orcbs.msu.edu/chemical/resources_links/contamhood...

A few things worth noting, which are are contrary to what I have been led to believe elsewhere, are the following;

1) Titanium nitrate produces a blue precipitate, but not nitrates in general. In fact methylene blue was used to detect perchlorate in the Chilean nitrate deposits!

2) A practical detection limit is .001 M perchlorate, this corresponds to about 0.1 g/L

3) Concentrated perchloric acid (ie. 70%) destroys the reagent, but the test can still be used on the diluted acid (so clearly, acidic solutions are OK)

With regard to pH drift, I recall noticing a scaley white encrustation on the Ti cathodes of the Li perchlorate cell. They didn't easily dissolve when I rinsed the electrodes. On examination a few days later, they have absorbed water and dissolved away. I assume this was LiOH, it has a relatively low solubility (15g/100g) and has formed in a similar fashion to Ca(OH)2 in a CaCl2 cell. Removal of OH- in this manner would cause the electrolyte pH to drift lower.

The SS cathodes of the "Gertrude" perchlorate cell have a hard brownish coating and some of the brown "crud" which has formed may be the "hydroxide" manganite, which is gamma-MnOOH. Though given the amount of "available" Mn on the anode, it's hard to believe there would be enough to form compounds which alter the pH substantially.

Anyway, all this still doesn't explain why MB is giving an initial negative result with this particular cell.....!

[Edited on 27-12-2007 by Xenoid]

dann2 - 27-12-2007 at 15:37

Hello,

Some info I have on MB testing enclosed.
It mentions Nitrate 'interference' in the stuff out of the 'Perchlorates' (book) but I do not know exactly what they mean.

The presentation is very nice>>>>>>.

Dann2

[Edited on 27-12-2007 by dann2]

PCDV0016.JPG - 114kB

Combined coating / sealing strategy

Rosco Bodine - 27-12-2007 at 22:47

Earlier in response to chloric1 I mentioned that some of the elements of what seems to be a complex coating scheme
might be integrated in some way to simplify things . So here
is an idea which may work fine in that regard .

There remains in my estimation a usefulness , possibly even a necessity for the SnO2 component being involved in these
layered coatings , only I believe it can be better implemented
in other ways than by use of the strictly SnCl4 or Sn+IV alcoholate(alkoxide) based schemes .
The Pytlewski patent US3890429 describes the mixed valency polymer forms of colloidal SnO2 which may be formed as higher precursors for the desired SnO2 baked coating , even though the patent does not specifiy this end use . Clearly the chemistry of these inorganic polymer forms of SnO2 *spotlight* such materials as being of *great interest* as precursors for baked coating schemes , because of their structure and properties , including being capable of being doped at a molecular level with other selected metals of particular interest , like Sb , Co , Ni , and Bi . The ability of the polymer
to form a dried , persistent and highly adherent film of
1000 Angstroms thickness , even *without baking* , a film having a *profound* hydrophilic character , yet will not simply wash off the surface , but which acts as a residual
"wetter-sticker" for causing other aqueous systems to
sheet evenly across the surface , is a remarkable property .
Further , the chemical composition of the inorganic polymer
is such that upon being subjected to baking temperatures ,
it fully dehydrates and forms the desired doped tin oxide ,
with its doping either derived from included dopants introduced in its molecular structure in advance , and/or
securing its doping by diffusion from adjacent coatings ,
below , above , or both .

It would therefore seem possible to form the Co3O4 spinel
interface concurrently with a DTO sealing effect , and perhaps to enhance the quality of that spinel layer , by
using the SnO2 inorganic polymer as a wetting agent .
The SnO2 polymer could be applied directly to the freshly hydrided Ti , and simply dried , and then the Co(NO3)2
applied and baked . Each subsequent coating of spinel
could be preceded by a dipped and simply dried on film
of the polymer wetting agent . It would serve to even the wetting out for the Co spinel precursor , and then fuse
together with it on baking , sealing and bonding the grain structure .

Alternately , the initial cobalt spinel interface coating
could be applied as already proven , and the SnO2 polymer
used as a "dip and dry" treatment ahead of the second
and every other subsequent baked coat of spinel . It should work either way . And the wetting out ability of the SnO2 polymer should be especially useful as a remedy for the
wetability problems which arise later with the MnO2 .

Not a half bad idea huh ? :D It works on paper anyway :P

[Edited on 28-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Making Hubert

Xenoid - 27-12-2007 at 23:18

Hubert is Gertrudes big half-brother!

Surface preparation and etching:
The Ti rod was run in a drill press, and sanded with 80 grit garnet paper for 1 min. and then 100 grit paper for 1 min.
The rod was then etched in hot concentrated (290 g/L) hydrochloric acid for about 10 mins. I do this by placing the rod in a test tube containing just enough (about 1/2 full) HCl that the level rises to the top of the tube. The tube is placed in an empty 400 ml beaker on a hot plate. Eventually H2 bubbles will be evolved from the shiny Ti surface and it will turn dark grey. The HCl will turn pale violet or mauve. The rod is then well rinsed with distilled water.

Co3O4 (spinel) interface coating:
A test tube was about 1/2 filled with an ~ 50% solution of cobalt nitrate hexahydrate. This was made by dissolving 20g of moist crystals in 20 mls of water. This solution is dark red. The etched portion of the rod was dipped in the solution for 15 secs. and wiped against the inside of the tube as it was slowly withdrawn. The drop of liquid usually adhering to the end of the rod was absorbed on a piece of paper towel. The rod was hung in the previously described heat gun arrangement(see page 3. of this thread), and the heat turned up to 380 oC +/- 10 oC. The heat was maintained for 10 mins. (Use an egg timer or similar!). The heat setting was then turned to minimum and the hot air cooled down to about 50 - 60 oC. At this point the gun was turned off and the rod allowed to cool further for a few mins. The rod was then removed by its wire hanger (careful it's still very hot) and wiped lightly with a soft cotton cloth to remove any loose material or "crusty" build-up. Mark off one coat with a tick on a piece of paper (don't forget this, it's very easy to lose track). The rod is then cooled to room temperature by walking around waving it. In the case of Hubert this dip 'n bake procedure was repeated 3 times more, for a total of 4 coats.

Beta-MnO2 over coating:
A test tube was about 1/2 filled with a 1.2 M solution of Mn(NO3)2 which had been stabilised with a few drops of nitric acid. The solution is a pale pink-rose colour. The rod was dipped in this solution and baked in exactly the same manner as outlined above. This coating procedure was repeated 10 times. After the last coat had "baked" for the allotted 10 mins. the rod was baked for an additional 30 mins. at 380 oC. After this the rod was slowly cooled down over a period of 30 mins. by slowly decreasing the heat gun setting.

The main differences between Hubert and Gertrude are;
1) Co3O4 baked at 380 oC versus 370 oC
2) 4 coats of Co3O4 instead of 2
3) beta-MnO2 baked at much higher temperature of 380 oC
4) 10 contiguous coats of beta-MnO2
5) rod was annealed, by slowly lowering temperature at the end

Using the secret coding system known only to the Fraternity of Anode Fabricators;
Gertrude = Ti/2xCo3O4/14xbeta-MnO2
Hubert = Ti/4xCo3O4/10xbeta-MnO2

To obtain the higher temperatures used for Hubert, I placed tape over two of the air inlet slots on the heat gun.This slows down the air flow, and meant I could reliably achieve 400 oC.

This coating system is loosely based on US Patents; 4072586, 4265728, 4366042, and 4368110

The image shows Hubert with the simple wire jig used for hanging him in the heat gun tube

Hubert.jpg - 15kB

Xenoid - 27-12-2007 at 23:30

@ Rosco
The main problem for me at the moment seems to be the slow degradation of the MnO2 coating. Gertrude has now been put in a new saturated perchlorate cell and seems to be behaving well electrically, but the MnO2 coating is breaking down physically. The cell is colourless, but there are specks of black ?MnO2 increasing all the time.
Perhaps Hubert will solve this, with his higher temperature baking, time will tell .. :)

Rosco Bodine - 28-12-2007 at 00:03

You should try what I am suggesting for the SnO2 if
you have the materials available . I have plenty SnCl4
and SnCl2 and Sb2O3 , but no Mn nor Bi compounds .
( still collecting components )

I did a pretty extensive survey of the literature ,
and it seems I am getting resistance to "off label use" suggestions :D ( which is *exactly* my forte ) .
When old Rosco spots a potential off label use for
something , he has a pretty good record for being right .

I see what you are running into there and I am trying to
tell you what might fix it . You mentioned using an agricultural
wetting agent and this is the same idea , only using something better suited for the task . The film produced
is however very thin , and a more substantial amount of SnO2 will probably need to be used also to accomplish the sealing to a maximized extent . It will depend on how loaded
with solids the mixed valency sol can remain stable on evaporation and concentration whether it can suffice alone
as the precursor for SnO2 . The nitrates also form the Pytlewski polymers . The anomalous case of tin nitrate combined with iron , aluminum , or chromium nitrate to form a highly concentrable "hydrogel" as was described in that hundred year old reference which I attached earlier , is very likely a nitrate based Pytlewski polymer which would work in this scheme as it is a highly concentrated mixture .

If a different polymer mixture does not form a stable , highly loaded dispersion , then another sol or ammonium stannate or some other SnO2 precursor may be required also . This might mix with the polymer or be applied separately as a second dip .

Probably the technically simplest approach to adding thickness for the SnO2 layer , after an initial coating with the polymer wetting agent , is simply to use the oxidative cold soak deposition of SnO2 from a SnCl2 + NaNO3 solution .
It is slow but sure .

BTW , I have some nickel carbonate now to go with my cobalt carbonate ....and have some type K thermocouples
on the way . Still need a heat gun , been looking at
the Makita thermocouple gun .

Some of the lead free solders that aren't the 95/5 Sn/Sb
but are silver bearing , may also have some Bi , a few percent .

Putting some MnCl2 or Mn(NO3)2 into the electrolyte
as a deliberate contaminant , additive might help protect the anode via common ion effect . Also using a bit of carbonate 5-10% along with the nitrate and baking
a bit hotter like you are doing could help . Also
using ~5% of the Co nitrate along with the Mn nitrate
could help , with or without the carbonates . But I think
the inclusion of SnO2 will do a lot more good .

chloric1 - 28-12-2007 at 14:48

Well, I am open to SnO2 polymer sols. I was hesitant at first since they seem a little fickle compared to cobalt spinels. At least until you posted a patent on mix valency tin with PVA. That immediately caught my interest as I imagined an organic matrix supporting the inorganic oxide. I know the PVA will not survive the heat but what a cool wetting agent:) I just might order some soon since I have not played with it since highschool 17 years ago! I have also read about PVA as a binder for cermics prior to firing but which ones I don't know.

Rosco Bodine - 28-12-2007 at 16:15

That was a mixed ammonium stannate / ammonium antimonate composition rather than a mixed valency polymer sort of composition which used the PVA thickener . You are talking about US6777477 , right ?

However that patent did show the production of a precursor which is also of interest in other ways ,
such as for the making of tin(IV) nitrate :D . When
the tin(IV) chloride is neutralized with ammonia ,
the precipitate is the desired hydrated stannic oxide ,
which does neutralize nitric acid completely . The
tin nitrate solution formed is unstable above ~50C ,
(by itself) but when it is combined with certain other
metal nitrates , at the proper pH , it forms a stable
hydrogel which has a high metals loading and needs
no PVA thickener .

This is the direction I think is most promising of all ,
as it would likely give the same good nitrate derived baked coatings for SnO2 and doped SnO2 , as has been
showing good results in Xenoids experiments for the nitrates of Co and Mn .

The oxidative soak deposition of SnO2 from SnCl2 + NaNO3 also seems to be good bet as the simplest way
of applying an SnO2 layer , if one has the patience to
wait for the hours it takes to slowly deposit . That
method could be the reaction left overnight to slowly
deposit .

chloric1 - 29-12-2007 at 05:26

Yeh I think that was the right patent. Sorry I got my wires crossed yesterday, its easy to get confused with a fever of 38°C.
I have prepared solutions of cobalt and nickel nitrate. I was going to refer to the approximate mass of elemental metal dissolved in a designated volume of water. Unfortunately, when dissolving my nickel sulfate in water,with haste, to make nickel nitrate I forgot to measure how much I used.:( I still have to make some manganese nitrate. Judging from the patents, it seems probable that it would be OK to bake at 400°C and for a little longer times.

Rosco Bodine - 29-12-2007 at 06:12

Chicken soup and pseudoephedrine and paracetamol and orange juice for you . Soak in a hot tub until you break a sweat ....sometimes that will help too . I'm a little under the weather myself . Bears should be hibernating this time of year :P

If you have good analytical scales , a quadruple beam Ohaus 311 centigram for example is okay ....
You can always take a sample of your unknown solution ,
( analysis of an aliquot compensates for a sore twat :D )
And then you do your quanitative analysis based on
precipitation of the carbonate for example . In this
case save the analysis sample of carbonate because it reportedly improves the nitrate bakeout to include about 10% of the carbonate in the nitrate coating mixture , for manganese this is reported to be true anyway . It probably follows for the other nitrates as well , where
the carbonate likely serves to thicken the mixture and/or
buffer and smooth the decomposition on baking .

I have some tangential references which mention tin nitrate related information and I will post them in dann2's
thread regarding antimony and tin nitrate .
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=8347

[Edited on 29-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

++++ Gertrude is Dead ++++

Xenoid - 29-12-2007 at 21:11

Long live Hubert... :)

I am sorry to report that the brave little anode Gertrude (known affectionatly as "Gerty" to some of you) died this afternoon local time.

During her short lifetime of approximately 146 Amp hours, in the often harsh environments of assorted perchlorate cells, Gerty is estimated to have converted about 280g of NaClO3 to 322g of NaClO4.

Gerty died from the hideous effects of slow passivation followed by massive overvoltage application.

Please do not let this happen to your anodes!

Gerty died alone, while I was having a pleasant hike in the mountains. I had inadvertantly left the voltage limiting set to maximum (~ 30 volts) on my lab power supply while running in constant current mode (1 amp). I am not sure what the exact "breakdown" voltage for the passivated layer is, but it obviously less than 30 volts... :o

I now have a 300 ml perchlorate cell "chocka-block" full of steaming, white, TiO2 gloop!

Moral, never apply more than about 10 volts across a Ti anode in a perchlorate cell!

I have more "bad news" but I am too distraught to report it at the present time... :mad:

[Edited on 29-12-2007 by Xenoid]

GertrudeDead.jpg - 7kB

12AX7 - 30-12-2007 at 01:06

Noooo!

Look at it this way: clean 'er off with some acid (or sandpaper, or...), recoat and you'll have more surface area! :D

Tim

Gone too soon , we shall miss Gerty ......

Rosco Bodine - 30-12-2007 at 04:01

The flower of youth is fleeting , it lasts but a moment .
She looks so ....unspeakably horribly ravaged :P
You can almost hear her crying out in final despair
"goodbye cruel world" :P

RIP Gerty , a musical tribute and farewell
http://youtube.com/watch?v=oiFTXckh0zU&feature=related

Quote:
Long live Hubert... :)

I am sorry to report that the brave little anode Gertrude (known affectionatly as "Gerty" to some of you) died this afternoon local time.

From the looks of her , expiration came as a merciful end .
Quote:

During her short lifetime of approximately 146 Amp hours, in the often harsh environments of assorted perchlorate cells, Gerty is estimated to have converted about 280g of NaClO3 to 322g of NaClO4.

Gerty died from the hideous effects of slow passivation followed by massive overvoltage application.

Please do not let this happen to your anodes!

Gerty died alone, while I was having a pleasant hike in the mountains. I had inadvertantly left the voltage limiting set to maximum (~ 30 volts) on my lab power supply while running in constant current mode (1 amp). I am not sure what the exact "breakdown" voltage for the passivated layer is, but it obviously less than 30 volts... :o

Evidence shows clearly that this was no accident but murder most foul . The usual suspects are believed to have been responsible . She was overpowered and forcibly
oxygenated again and again and again , until she was dead . The body was mutilated and crows are yet observed
picking pieces of her rotting remains from the trees . It is all so .....ghastly ;)
Quote:

I now have a 300 ml perchlorate cell "chocka-block" full of steaming, white, TiO2 gloop!

Moral, never apply more than about 10 volts across a Ti anode in a perchlorate cell!

I have more "bad news" but I am too distraught to report it at the present time... :mad:

You mean it gets worse ??? Brace yourself and tell us ,
screw your courage to the sticking place ,
and let us hear it ....the rest of the story :D

[Edited on 30-12-2007 by Rosco Bodine]

Xenoid - 30-12-2007 at 10:20

@ 12AX7

Hmmm.. I think she's past the "cleaning up with sandpaper" stage. One thing I was thinking about though, is that if this process was carried out in a "more controlled" manner it might be possible to produce a high surface area that bonds well to any interface layers. Actually, I don't think sanding produces all that great a surface, it's more like lots of smooth grooves.

If the Ti was corroded using say 10 mA, or 100 mA, who knows, at the breakdown voltage, it might produce a superb bonding surface akin to sandblasting, but better. This could be further enhanced with HCl etching. One problem, is that the high voltage breakdown starts at defects and pinholes, and might not produce an even surface. A low current over a longer time might solve this though.

@ Rosco

Don't fret Rosco, my "bad news" has nothing to do with coating Ti anodes. It concerns "Big Bertha", my 10 litre, 12 gouging rod chlorate cell. It relates to the application of 25 amps through SS junctions in the presence of saline solution, chlorine and air. I can't believe I cocked this up twice in about a week... :(

12AX7 - 30-12-2007 at 10:36

Hmm, check out electropolishing titanium -- if it exists. I get a nasty feeling the bath would require fluoride, though. Well, that's still not too bad, under electrolysis, the bath could be pH-neutral for the most part. The anode might give off some HF fumes though.

Tim

man_from_mystery_babylon - 30-12-2007 at 11:31

Yes titanium can be electropolished. There is even a company that claims to be using a "saline" solution to do it.

I emailed them with some questions about their process, but of course they never responded.

As I understand it, you need a rather high current density to electropolish...as below some threshold point, you only etch.

chloric1 - 30-12-2007 at 15:56

@Xenoid-You said Gerty got ate up by a condition of overvoltage because you did not set your limit to a lower level. I know the voltage increased slighty with your first cobalt anode, but I am not sure at what rate Gerty increased in voltage. If you could ballpark some relative graph or something to see if this manganese thing is indeed a step forward. Also, figuring total hours of use between the two. I believe that you stated your initial cobalt anode was useless for perchlorate. Once more data is produced the more it will have to be consolidated and organized.

@Rosco-A tad melodramitic dont ya think?!:P:P:D
I did enjoy the video you linked to it went well with my toast and coffee this morning.

[Edited on 12/30/2007 by chloric1]

Xenoid - 30-12-2007 at 18:29

Quote:
@Xenoid-You said Gerty got ate up by a condition of overvoltage because you did not set your limit to a lower level. I know the voltage increased slighty with your first cobalt anode, but I am not sure at what rate Gerty increased in voltage. If you could ballpark some relative graph or something to see if this manganese thing is indeed a step forward. Also, figuring total hours of use between the two. I believe that you stated your initial cobalt anode was useless for perchlorate. Once more data is produced the more it will have to be consolidated and organized.

Well, part of the problem was I messed around with solutions and current settings for the first 76 hours. I would say that based on 1 amp at 50mA/cm^2 she started the run at 3.7 volts which rose to 4.0 volts at the end of the 76 hours.

I then put her in a new cell where she lasted for about 70 hours, she started at 4.0 volts and after 50 hours was at 4.8 volts, on the morning of her demise the voltage had risen to 5.5 volts. I should have shut her down then, and she would have lived to make perchlorate another day, but the black coat still looked intact and "I just wanted to see what would happen". Now I know... :(

The beta-MnO2 coat was definitely a step forward as far as perchlorate goes. The 12 coat Co3O4 anode only ran for about 25 hours, under similar conditions.
The straight 4 coat Co3O4 was good in a chlorate cell, I think it was 13 days, I haven't tried beta-MnO2 in chlorate yet!

Rosco Bodine - 30-12-2007 at 21:25

The interface works and the outside reaction layer works .
But both are porous . An intermediate layer is needed .

chloric1 - 31-12-2007 at 03:44

@Xenoid-Ok that gives me some idea how you are operating. I have been stalling for a few reasons getting started. I got half of my nitrate solutions made up already but I ordered some 1L beakers so I could do the boiling oxalic acid etch. I always liked oxalic acid and I am not real excited about hot concentrated HCl. But then yesterday I reread some of your post in cobalt earlier on. You used a beaker of water to heat the test tube of HCl. This is what I will do until my beakers arrive. My first anode will be tested in a brine to make chlorate because I need to see and show how it compares to your cobalt spinel alone. Manganese coatings and perchlorates a little later.

@Rosco- Yes I know. Don't know if it is necessary for a seal for making only chlorate but it is definately true for perchlorate. My answer,when I got the time and if I find my 5 year old stannous choride, is to dissolve stannous chloride in conc. HCl,oxidize with H2O2,and then add ammonia to precipitate stannic oxide and remove pesky chlorides, then redissolve in nitric acid at specific gravity 1.2. Then I will either add cobalt nitrate or nickel nitrate. Probably 10% concentration of the secondary components seems adequate.

Chlorides, I feel, might even be atogonistic agents for titanium passivation and should be avoided. These ions have a nasty reputation in electroplating as well as metal finishing. Ever heard of "bronze disease" ? Find a bronze statue close to the coast and you will see.

[Edited on 12/31/2007 by chloric1]

Rosco Bodine - 31-12-2007 at 05:47

Quote:

@Rosco- Yes I know. Don't know if it is necessary for a seal for making only chlorate but it is definately true for perchlorate.

It serves a larger purpose than just a seal to have an
intermediate layer of SnO2 . That larger purpose is something which I don't think has been discussed in any of these threads before , but it is important . There is a logical
strategy where plural coatings are laminated on a substrate
which should attempt to have a sequence of coatings that
ideally obey an *ascending* oxygen overvoltage value from
the outermost layer inwards towards the substrate . The
outermost coating is optimized for catalytic activity for the
desired product , but will probably not be optimized physically
and likely will be porous . Desirably the next layer which resides beneath that porous outer coating will have a slightly
higher oxygen overvoltage so that oxygen is preferentially
evolved from the outer coating , rather than being encouraged to spread laterally *between the layers* at those places where the bottom of a pore in the outer layer
contacts the intermediate layer . A pressure gradient is
created by the oxygen overvoltages . By having the underlayment layer have the *higher* oxygen overpotential ,
it creates a *physical* effect for oxygen evolution that is
a parallel similar to how a body of water seeks its own level
rather than trying to flow uphill . The equilibrium favors that
oxygen will evolve preferentially at its path of least resistance , on the outside layer material exposed to the electrolyte .....rather than trying to migrate between the layers and delaminate the outer coating . You see the nascent reaction products are going to actively seek the
easiest path for their "birth" , and the easiest path for
evolution of those electrolytic products must be kept located
preferably with the outermost "working coating" .

Oxygen overvoltage is sort of an indicator because it is
pretty much a concensus that it is oxygen permeation , diffusion of oxygen downwards through the coatings and reaching the substrate which ultimately passivates the anode . And by having the layers create an effect that presents an unfavorable gradient for that diffusion , the substrate is more protected . The idea is that oxygen should have to "flow uphill" to reach the substrate . When voltage
is applied to the anode and current flows , the goal is that the energy be dissipated on the outer surface preferentially
as much as possible , rather than following a path of less resistance presented by an interface at underlying layers .

Quote:

My answer,when I got the time and if I find my 5 year old stannous choride, is to dissolve stannous chloride in conc. HCl,oxidize with H2O2,and then add ammonia to precipitate stannic oxide and remove pesky chlorides, then redissolve in nitric acid at specific gravity 1.2. Then I will either add cobalt nitrate or nickel nitrate. Probably 10% concentration of the secondary components seems adequate.

The best initial sealing layer over the cobalt spinel could very well be an oxidative soak deposition of SnO2 precipitated from dilute SnCl2 + NaNO3 , then baked . This would involve
no complicated preparations .

The use of Sn nitrates certainly intrigues me because they are mentioned as useful precursors in several patents , but
no details given ....almost as if this could be something of a "secret hidden in plain sight" if you follow what I mean .
Quote:

Chlorides, I feel, might even be atogonistic agents for titanium passivation and should be avoided. These ions have a nasty reputation in electroplating as well as metal finishing. Ever heard of "bronze disease" ? Find a bronze statue close to the coast and you will see.

Yeah , I have had some reservation about the "chlorides fluxing scenario" with regards to the DTO on Ti scheme ,
but not because of any prejudice against chlorides themselves since they are useful intermediates . My
reservations concerning chlorides involves the way they are described being used , which I know is oversimplification in describing a "reagent preparation" where the reagent itself is more than its ingredient list , but rather a reaction product which changes minute by minute . These mixtures are unstable and react to form sols , alkoxides , and complex mixtures for which there are alternatives . There are several ways of doing the same thing , with variants that are more appropriate depending on compatability with other coatings , dopants , and the temperatures which will be used .

I am still looking at these SnO2 based coating references ,
trying to find anything useful . Went through a search hits list of several hundred abstracts yesterday and found five more articles , a couple of them especially interesting ,
requested in the references needed thread .

One of those articles abstract describes what evidently may be a variant on the soak deposition method , where a
simple solution of SnCl4 at a specific concentration and pH ,
is deliberately made unstable via hydrolysis and gradually
"slimes" a coating of SnO2 onto an immersed substrate ,
which is no slime at all of course , but a tough and adherent
coating , which may be baked to further vitrify .

Also of interest are other articles which involve nanocrystallites of SnO2 formed *in solution* where
dopants are included at the molecular level *before any baking* , as these materials may be used as thickeners
in mixture with other precursors for baked coatings .

It is very interesting to have a colloid , whose particles
are not amorphous at all , but rather are crystals a few nanometers in dimension . Like having a bag of tiny conductive jewels so small they suspend in water without sinking .

tentacles - 1-1-2008 at 09:27

Rosco: Re: "uphill substrates" - That would track along with something I'd read (somewhere) about PbO2 plating in industry - that PbO2 plating was typically conducted at 70C. I've read (somewhere else, probably) that plating PbO2 at higher temperatures will lower it's oxygen overpotential. Obviously this would make it easier to find intermediates with a higher overpotential, or perhaps cause the intermediates to last much longer with a greater difference.

[Edited on 1-1-2008 by tentacles]

Xenoid - 1-1-2008 at 10:03

@ tentacles

See the list of anode compositions posted by R.P.Wang on page 8 of this thread!

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9572&a...

Ti / SnO2 + Sb / alpha-PbO2 / beta-PbO2 is claimed to be "reliable".

[Edited on 1-1-2008 by Xenoid]

Rosco Bodine - 1-1-2008 at 10:38

There is probably an inherent benefit from the differing
oxygen overvoltage effect derived automatically when
alternating layers of different materials are used in sequence , for *two* paired layer cycles like A-B/A-B as a configuration , because even if you don't know which
of the materials A or B has the higher oxygen overvoltage ,
the barrier will still exist for that labrynth if B turns out to be the layer with the higher O2 overvoltage . It would
result in shedding of the outer layer B , but then the
correct ordering would be encountered and further erosion
would then be opposed .

So using different layers in alternating fashion makes good sense as a strategy , even if there is not good specific information about the differences between the O2 overvoltage for the different layer materials being used ....
but only if at least four layers are used to hedge the bet
for that unknown . In scientific terminology , that is known as covering ones ass :D

Hubert's Fate

Xenoid - 1-1-2008 at 15:57

The fate of Hubert has been decided! He is to spend his life in the confines of a KClO3 cell. Why POTASSIUM chlorate, I hear you say. Well, a number of reasons;

1) I have never run a KClO3 cell, not much point with only graphite and gouging rods for anodes. I am approaching this with an air of optimism though and expecting this cell will run perfectly "clean".
2) I wanted to try and make some totally Na free KClO3.
3) I already have two NaClO3 cells running.
4) Experience with "Gertrude" and earlier anodes, suggests a chlorate rather than a perchlorate cell is a safer place for an anode of Hubert's composition.

I put together a more or less practical cell specifically to accommodate Hubert (see attached image). It has a capacity of 800 mls and an annular SS cathode and was cobbled together from bits of previous cells. The internal connections for the SS cathode are covered in glue lined heatshrink and the SS screw electrical connection is coated in hot glue. Hopefully this will prevent headspace corrosion of the cathode which has been causing me a few problems lately.

The cell has been running for about 28 hours now at 2 amps and 3.6 volts (55 mA/cm^2). So far there is absolutely no black specks of MnO2 floating around, this has plagued earlier MnO2 anodes. The cell actually looks like a large jar of pink champagne. But it's not a tipple I would like to try. More like a cocktail from hell. I was surprised to see small, flakey crystals of KClO3 settling on the bottom only 12 hours after starting. I thought it would take longer, but I suppose KClO3 is near insoluble in near saturated KCl solution. Looking good now, but what it will be like in a couple of weeks time is anybody's guess!

HubertCell.jpg - 19kB

jpsmith123 - 3-1-2008 at 06:54

This wire had a layer of Co cathodically electrodeposited onto it from Co acetate & vinegar solution. It seemed to form a relatively thick, even, highly adherent layer.

After that it was heated in a gas flame for about 5 minutes, during which time the color changed from grey to blue/black.

Unlike the previous anodically deposited films, this coating cannot be rubbed off, smudged, etc.

Hopefully I'll get to try it in NaCl solution later today.

Image2.jpg - 13kB

Rosco Bodine - 3-1-2008 at 12:03

@jpsmith123

In dann2's ATO thread I posted a patent US4584084
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?action=att...

which described something like the Beer patent compositions where TiO2 was used as a component of the intermediate layer , but derived from a Ti salt precursor
which was decomposed on baking , in mixture with the
other solid solution and dopant materials . It was significant information not only in relation to the Beer
patents similar but different use of Ti oxides as a part of the intermediate layer , but also because layers even using that TiO2 as part of a tertiary composition with
Fe and Sn oxides , had performance several times better
than ATO intermediate layers .

I expected you to be jumping on that disclosure , since it
aligns with the Beer patents use of TiO2 as a "toughener"
component for the intermediate layer , and IIRC a couple of the Shamrock patents had similarly reported a toughened intermediate layer using a TiO2 component .

IIRC these baked intermediate layers actually even increase the longevity of Pt plated Ti anodes above what
is gotten from direct plating of Pt onto Ti , especially for thinner platings .

I don't know if the same thing will hold true for your
Co plating then oxidized to the oxide , but it might .
Or it may be that a TiO2 tertiary interface composition might similarly result from a baking and diffusion , perhaps
if you overcoat or undercoat the Co metal with an SnO2
precursor . It's going to require more heat for such a scheme than the cobalt spinel derived from nitrate .

The Fe doped SnO2 - TiO2 mixture is a very interesting
intermediate layer anyway especially if it does prove
more durable than the usual ATO .

Update on Hubert

Xenoid - 3-1-2008 at 15:10

Hubert has been running in the 800 ml KClO3 cell for 3 days now.

The solution is a pale pink from MnO4- but has not increased in colour from beyond the first 12 hours. I think an equilibrium has been achieved with the MnO2 on the anode. This may be some sort of "common ion effect" as mentioned by Rosco. The colour looks worse than what it is, due to the strong colouration ability of MnO4-, and is really a miniscule amout that can be cleared away with a few drops of H2O2.

Other than the pink colouration, the solution is crystal clear (literally). I have dropped in a magnetic stirrer bar to improve the efficiency and this brought about a "snow storm" of 5mm of KClO3 overnight. There is now about 10 mm of crystal "snow" accumulated on the bottom, and it's really blowing a blizzard in there.

I'm very pleased with Huberts performance "so far".

In the background of the attached image you can see my chlorinator anode cell, note the disgusting colour. This is mainly caused by corrosion of the cathode in the "headspace" area. Some of the black "dusty" material appears to be coming off the MMO anodes.... gulp! The "theoretical" runtime finished a few days ago, but I'm going to let it go a few more days!

Hubert-KClO3.jpg - 15kB

dann2 - 6-1-2008 at 14:51

Hello,

Quote:
@ tentacles

See the list of anode compositions posted by R.P.Wang on page 8 of this thread!

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9572&a...

Ti / SnO2 + Sb / alpha-PbO2 / beta-PbO2 is claimed to be "reliable".

[Edited on 1-1-2008 by Xenoid]

The 'Alembic' anode way way back used the same system and he has stated that many hundreds of hours were obtained from the anode without any visable signs of wear.
The anode is a bit of bother to make though. Did I mention it's of holy grail status??:cool: :P

Finally got around to titrating the product from a Perchlorate cell which had the DTO anode running in it. 5 coat anode.
This cell had been run for much much more than the run time of the cell (going from Chlorate to Perchlorate).
The cell product contains 79% Chlorate.
You also get ignition when the product is mixed with sugar and a drop of Sulphuric applied.

DTO is a hopeless anode for Perchlorate making. It lasts quite a long time though, approx 450 hours as far as I can remember.

The pink Chlorate cell is a VERY confusing sight. I could make some politically incorrect jokes........... but I won't.
Keep it up.

Dann2

Hubert and Purple Haze

Xenoid - 6-1-2008 at 18:21

"Hubert" and "Purple Haze" seem to be getting on very well together. This cell has now been running for over 6 days with absolutely no change in the electrical parameters, still 2.0 amps at 3.5 volts. I switched it off this morning and when the bubbles cleared Hubert's shiny blackness could be readily observed. The cell is still crystal clear, other than the pink tint. The KClO3 crystals are now twice as deep as in the image shown previously, and there are clusters of crystals adhering to the outside of the annular cathode. The KClO3 is now interfering with the stirrer bar and the electrolyte circulation. I guess I should "harvest" the KClO3 and top up the cell with saturated KCl and just keep it running.

@ dann2 - Yes I thought of all those jokes as well.... :D

chloric1 - 7-1-2008 at 03:07

Its just a one eyed, one horned flyin purple chlorate maker...:D:D

I am happy for you and for Hubert. In this gray and endless winter it is nice to see the colors of spring!:D I guess this anode is going to have a life of several hundred ours.

It appears that 50 to 60mA/cm2 is ideal for this kind of anode.

[Edited on 1/7/2008 by chloric1]

Xenoid - 7-1-2008 at 05:45

Quote:
It appears that 50 to 60mA/cm2 is ideal for this kind of anode.

Well, I don't really know! I just used a current density that wasn't too extreme. It's a useful, practical density, and higher than what I use for gouging rods. The coating may work just as well at 100 mA/cm^2 or may blow to bits. It's something that needs more testing, but is not all that important at the moment!

Rosco Bodine - 7-1-2008 at 07:01

@Xenoid

You mentioned earlier about the heat gun being pressed
to produce hot enough temperatures inside the tube
you are using as an oven . Is that a solid tube you are using and what diameter ? Are you using any sort of insulation wrapping around the tube ?

The heat gun tube oven is something I have been
giving some thought . I am considering using some
perforated stainless tubing and then wrapping it with
insulation , perhaps the 2 inch wide woven fiberglass
ribbon that is sold as exhaust header wrap for keeping
engine compartments cooler . I am thinking that the
heat loss from the tube itself would be greatly reduced
by using such a scheme , which should raise the temperature capability .

Xenoid - 7-1-2008 at 10:25

Quote:
Is that a solid tube you are using and what diameter ? Are you using any sort of insulation wrapping around the tube ?

It's just a piece of scrap Al tube (~50 mm dia. 2mm wall) I happened to have lying around that fitted fairly tightly on the end of the gun. I have now wrapped a strip of thin tinplate around the end of the heat gun so it fits really tightly, it was a bit wobbly before. I don't think insulation is required, I'd say 98% of the heat loss was as hot air out the top! I'm using solid Ti rods, they absorb a lot of heat, and for the first couple of mins. the "heat setting" knob needs to be higher to reach, say 380 oC, then I can "back it off" a bit for the rest of the time.

My heat gun has 4 inlet slots, I taped over the two smaller ones. When I checked the temp. on max setting it rose steadily and would have exceeded 400 0C. So I am running it at about 80 - 90 % setting for the pyrolysis.

Rosco Bodine - 7-1-2008 at 13:55

It would have to be losing a whole lot of heat off the tube . I bet if you wrapped the tube with some foil backed fiberglass pipe wrap , the temp inside the tube
would jump up 200C from where it is .

chloric1 - 7-1-2008 at 14:52

Might sound sloppy but I have 1/4" diameter rods(6.35mm) and I am going to heat with the airgun and mount the rod with a clamp on a ringstand so I can hold horizontal. I use a heat gun every day at work so I am used to waving it and distributing the heat. I won a thermocouple on ebay for my digital multimeter but it will not be here for some time. Will have to watch the process to see what going on. When my thermocouple probe gets here, I may use a vycor tube and just support the titanium with one hole stoppers.:D:D

[Edited on 1/7/2008 by chloric1]

Pages:  1    3