Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Dark Green water

angela_li - 3-12-2007 at 03:42

Hi All.

My expeiment: I am milling the oxide and sulphide ore down to micron's and not heap leaching. I am using a agitation leaching at 1-1.5% sulf acid, then pass through LIX with 2 extraction phase and 1 stripping phase. At the EW stage should I be using 15 or 18% sulf acid.

Sorry I forgot to mention the ore also contain Silver and Lead.

My questions?

1. I do not know why but the copper is flaking off, or even Peeling off? and the plating solution is turning dark green, sometimes even blackish green?

2. Can 1% sulf acid disolve the sulphide ore? How long does it take?

3. How do I extract the Silver? Will the sulf acid disolve the silver?

4. How do I extract the Lead?

Sorry for all the questions.

All the best!

Angela

EP_01.JPG - 55kB

not_important - 3-12-2007 at 04:31

I think you want the thread over here http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=9565

Quote:
Can 1% sulf acid disolve the sulphide ore?

Sulfides should be oxidised before acid extraction, cold 1% H2SO4 isn't going to a lot to the sulfides of the metals in this. See this patent http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1303642.html

Treat the reside with Na2CO3 aq to convert lead sulfate to the carbonate. Extract with HNO3 to dissolve both lead and silver.

dale_wilson69 - 3-12-2007 at 05:19

Thanks not_important, but you are important to me. Thanks for the help.

I was told if I mill the ore down to micron size I could extract the copper from the sulfides using 1-1.5% sulf acid. Is that true?

angela_li - 3-12-2007 at 05:37

Sorry Dale. I think you answered the wrong person.

But thanks for the post.

Angela.

angela_li - 4-12-2007 at 20:02

I wish to thank not_important for the help. I think I found the answer. I was using 304 stainless steel and 99.99% lead. I should have been using 316 stainless steel and lead containing Pb, Ca, Sn, and Ag.

All the best !

Angela

angela_li - 6-12-2007 at 22:15

Help.

Can 1 - 1.5% sulf acid disolve copper and silver in oxide and sulphide ore, if the ore is mill to micron size?