Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Influences of electrolyte composition on the cathodic electronegative potential

The new One - 19-10-2018 at 09:06

Hey guys,

i'm planing to reduce some nitro paraffins via electrolysis on lead electrodes.
In the patent US4678549A nitroalcohols are electrochemical reduced to the corresponding aminoalcohols.

Because of the solubility issues of the nitro paraffins in aqueous media, I want to use an aqueous ethanolic solution of sulfuric acid to solve it.

The electrolysis "must" be done on a specific electrode potential which is given in the reference patent.
But the measurement of the cathodic potential with reference electrode seems to be impossible for me over the next months.

So my questions are:

Does the content of ethanol have an influence on the cathodic potential?
And is Diethyl ether generated as an side product on usage of ethanol in the catholyte?

Have thanks and a nice weekend
TNO

BaFuxa - 22-10-2018 at 09:36

I had a look at the patent ( it would be nice to attach it to your post), without diving into the details may I ask what product you want ? Your procedure mentions the use of an ionic membrane which not lots of people have.

Amino alkanes can be made by combining ammonia and any primary alcohol in the vapor phase over a catalyst, iron oxide or manganese dioxide probably work very well.

Then for your question, any molecule will influence the potential. Even non polar molecules will change the potential by lowering it.

[Edited on 23-10-2018 by BaFuxa]

Sulaiman - 22-10-2018 at 09:56

Experimenting with a Daniel cell battery I found that the voltage is affected by electrolyte concentration alone,
so changing the chemistry is very likely / almost certain to change potentials.
.................................................................................................
Electrochemistry can be a simple simple and effective tool,
but true understanding of the chemistry and surface effects etc.
needs much more knowledge than I presently have ... much much more.
So much more that I've abandoned electrochemistryuntil my general chemistry knowledge is better.