Sciencemadness Discussion Board

Latest chemical order?

Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  15

G-Coupled - 31-5-2018 at 08:09

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  
Quote: Originally posted by VSEPR_VOID  

Funnily enough though the drain cleaner will be very soon though - hence my stocking up.

Could you share where you got the CH and the excellent price on the drain cleaner, please?

DavidJR - 31-5-2018 at 08:24

Quote: Originally posted by G-Coupled  

Could you share where you got the CH and the excellent price on the drain cleaner, please?

Both were eBay purchases:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GIVE-IT-INSTANT-SHOT-DRAIN-CLEANE...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Bottle-250g-AR-Level-Chloral-Hy...

G-Coupled - 31-5-2018 at 08:42

Much obliged - thank you. :)

It's amazing what one *can* actually buy on eBay these days - Chloral Hydrate, but no Ether, I'm guessing...

DavidJR - 31-5-2018 at 08:54

It's amazing what one *can* actually buy on eBay these days - Chloral Hydrate, but no Ether, I'm guessing...

There are some listings on eBay UK for diethyl ether but they're not cheap. It's not difficult to make though, all you need is ethanol and sulphuric acid.

arkoma - 31-5-2018 at 15:14

100g of Glacial Acetic acid.

roXefeller - 11-6-2018 at 08:08

30g sodium ferrocyanide. My daughter picked out her next experiment.

PirateDocBrown - 11-6-2018 at 09:21

Hexamine and Potassium Chlorate.

digga - 11-6-2018 at 10:12

Sodium Benzoate - food grade. I intend to whip up some Benzene. When I was a youth, I could and did buy Benzene. At least I can still buy concentrated sulfuric acid.

ninhydric1 - 12-6-2018 at 09:47

Magnesium metal, some aspirin tablets, glycerol, and some decolorized iodine. Superstores are full of useful chemicals.

roXefeller - 12-6-2018 at 09:54

I shouldn't say it, but polar pure is on the shelves again after a hiatus. It contains elemental iodine, though only 10 grams or so.

fusso - 12-6-2018 at 10:46

Quote: Originally posted by ninhydric1  
Magnesium metal, some aspirin tablets, glycerol, and some decolorized iodine. Superstores are full of useful chemicals.
Whats decolorized iodine?

ninhydric1 - 12-6-2018 at 11:45

It's a form of iodine tincture that contains no elemental iodine, just ammonium iodide and potassium iodide dissolved in an ethanol-water solvent.

arkoma - 12-6-2018 at 16:15

Benzyl Alcohol

woelen - 14-6-2018 at 12:18

I obtained a set of simple vinyl compounds:
- allyl alcohol, CH2=CH-CH2OH
- allyl bromide, CH2=CH-CH2Br
- acrylic acid, CH2=CH-COOH
These normally are not sold to individuals in the Netherlands, due to their great toxicity, but I know someone who had a spare amount of these chemicals and I could buy them for a very low price and I could not resist the offer. I do not yet have concrete plans on what I will do with these.
These compounds have an extremely noxious smell, in particular the alcohol and the bromide. They are strong lachrymators. It really is surprising that the presence of an unsaturated link in the molecule makes them so different in smell and working on the eye, when compared with 1-propanol (which smells like ethanol, but somewhat more musty), propyl bromide (which has a weak, somewhat sweet smell), and propionic acid (which very much smells like acetic acid, but less pungent).

I'll try to find some interesting experiments with the vinyl-group in simple organic molecules.
Does anyone have an idea what is the mechanism behind the extreme toxicity of these compounds, compared to their saturated propane-based counterparts? Apparently the double-bond makes these compounds very toxic.

JJay - 14-6-2018 at 13:52

I picked up a fine vintage of DCM paint stripper. Home Depot has a rack loaded with MEK substitute with a *new* sticker on the shelf label... I am a little confused, but it appears to be ethyl acetate.

Texium - 14-6-2018 at 13:57

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Does anyone have an idea what is the mechanism behind the extreme toxicity of these compounds, compared to their saturated propane-based counterparts? Apparently the double-bond makes these compounds very toxic.
Yes, quite simply, allyl alcohol is converted to acrolein by alcohol dehydrogenase. Acrolein being highly reactive will cause extensive damage to any DNA, proteins, etc it encounters.

JJay - 15-6-2018 at 11:19

Ferrous sulfate heptahydrate

mayko - 30-6-2018 at 13:29

Got a fresh gallon of muriatic acid and a liter of ethyl acetate .... the local hardware store is going to be selling MEK substitute indefinitely, they said :)

Herr Haber - 3-7-2018 at 03:16

Diamonds !

Very small, low quality but good enough to prove someone that diamonds DO burn :)

Herr Haber - 3-7-2018 at 11:29

Nitinol wire
Out of curiosity I got 2m of it. Quite thick also. It hurt my hand a bit when unrolling itself!
I ended up pretty amazed dropping it on the bed where it now sits perfectly straight. I see a lot of fun ahead.

learningChem - 3-7-2018 at 20:18

Hm - never bothered checking this thread before. So this is a list of stuff that your beloved governments is going to ban next eh?

Myself I bought 100g of cerium oxide for ~8 amerikan dollars.

[Edited on 4-7-2018 by learningChem]

ninhydric1 - 3-7-2018 at 20:26

450 grams of sodium metabisulfite. Finally, I can make some aldehyde-bisulfite adducts.

weilawei - 4-7-2018 at 08:39

454g of Hg. Yeehaw! Gotta love auctions that go cheaply.

roXefeller - 4-7-2018 at 18:05

Quote: Originally posted by weilawei  
454g of Hg. Yeehaw! Gotta love auctions that go cheaply.

Wow, nice find. The auctioneer might have been happy to unload it too. I once got a load of lead nitrate cheap because the company didn't want to deal in heavy metal oxidizers anymore. And now you too can own your own superfund site.

j_sum1 - 4-7-2018 at 18:10

5L of ethylene glycol antifreeze. Now I can make some dioxane and then try out some sodium preparation and purification.

woelen - 5-7-2018 at 12:45

Recently I purchased some really special chemicals:

- SeO2
- Na2SeO4
- LiClO4
- SO3
- I2O5
- LaB6
- Cr(CO)6
- TiH2

All of them in fairly small quantities (tens of grams, 100 grams, that kind of amounts). To be used in small scale experiments, and some will be used as display samples as well.

The SO3 is ampouled in a beautiful ball-shaped ampoule, containing long needle-shaped crystals with a silky/soft appearance. It's appr. 50 grams and makes a beautiful display sample. It also is tempting, however, to use some for experiments. It's quite dangerous though and storage probably is a pain in the ass, once it is outside of its seal.

JJay - 5-7-2018 at 13:58

Chromium hexacarbonyl looks like fun. It also looks like it would be hard to prepare at home. Carbon monoxide at 280 atm anyone?

TheMrbunGee - 6-7-2018 at 10:51

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Recently I purchased some really special chemicals:

- SeO2
- Na2SeO4
- LiClO4
- SO3
- I2O5
- LaB6
- Cr(CO)6
- TiH2

All of them in fairly small quantities (tens of grams, 100 grams, that kind of amounts). To be used in small scale experiments, and some will be used as display samples as well.

The SO3 is ampouled in a beautiful ball-shaped ampoule, containing long needle-shaped crystals with a silky/soft appearance. It's appr. 50 grams and makes a beautiful display sample. It also is tempting, however, to use some for experiments. It's quite dangerous though and storage probably is a pain in the ass, once it is outside of its seal.

Dude - pictures!!

XeonTheMGPony - 7-7-2018 at 17:50

65g sodium metal < This month
680g Ammonium Sulfate (Fertilizer grade, for ammonia generator) < This month
500g Sulfur < This month
30g Resorcinol
200g Gum Arabic
30g of Silicon metal
250g of Sodium Nitrite

All above from ebay over this year

Lead (ii) oxide 25g
Lead (ii) nitrate 15g
Lead metal 25g
Potassium DiChromate 250g
Potassium permanganate 150g
Zinc metal granules 50g
Ammonium chloride 250g
Methylene blue 5g

From: Metacelsus, this week, (I can't wait to get that package :) )

VSEPR_VOID - 7-7-2018 at 21:10

Meanwhile in the UK you will get arrested for carrying a potato peeler, saying mean things on the internet, and H2SO4 is now nearly impossible to find. However, you can buy kilograms of date rape drugs on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/250g-AR-Level-Chloral-Hydrate-CCI3C...

XeonTheMGPony - 8-7-2018 at 03:42

Welcome to regressive PC culture, where plugging the ears is #1 choice of dealing with reality.

You can't fix a problem till you actually listen and acknowledge there is one and its source(s)!

Banning every thing is not an effective solution to any thing, especially when they love to start with speech!

[Edited on 8-7-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]

Sulaiman - 13-7-2018 at 03:20

1 kg Sodium percarbonate
1 kg sodium matabisulphite
2 kg sodium hydroxide 99%

CobaltChloride - 23-7-2018 at 05:06

I went to a city with an Italian minority for some business I had there. In this city I found an Italian shop with some very interesting products: 10% HF, 10% HCl without soap and other junk (I couldn't find it in my town), 32% HCl (all fuming HCl I found in my town is both very expensive at 5 dollars a liter and could only be bought from some shady guy who had it from a long time ago) and pure NaOH (for some reason all I could find in my town was either very expensive or contaminated with 10-20% NaCl). I'm really excited to go home and do some fluoride chemistry :)

[Edited on 23-7-2018 by CobaltChloride]

woelen - 23-7-2018 at 05:54

Nice finds, but be VERY careful with the HF. Even 10% HF can do a lot of harm if it comes in contact with your skin!

CobaltChloride - 23-7-2018 at 06:44

Yeah, I know. I plan to work with it using thick PVC gloves and safety glasses over a tray. Also, I will always keep baking soda and calcium chloride solution on hand when working with this acid so that I can neutralize a spill properly.

JJay - 6-8-2018 at 22:42

Polystyrene, for thermolysis to styrene.

IMG_20180806_223618.jpg - 133kB

j_sum1 - 6-8-2018 at 23:44

Cool. Have you seen UC235's yt video on this? Quite nice. Be prepared to sacrifice a flask though.

JJay - 7-8-2018 at 01:17

I have. My plan was to use a steel paint can as a flask with a copper coil wound through a bucket of water as a condenser, sitting on a layer of sand in a pie plate, heated with a camp stove. I can monitor the temperature with a laser thermometer to avoid excessive char.

I could run a stream of argon through the apparatus, but I am pretty sure that's not necessary.

DavidJR - 7-8-2018 at 07:23

My latest orders:

[Edited on 8-8-2018 by DavidJR]

Loptr - 7-8-2018 at 08:06

Not a chemical acquisition, but I just ordered an empty 80 c.f. inert gas tank that I will get exchanged for a full 80 c.f. tank of either Nitrogen or Argon. :cool:

[Edited on 7-8-2018 by Loptr]

The Volatile Chemist - 11-8-2018 at 15:37

Just got a mini-tank of CO2 and ~400g Potassium Hydrogen Phthalate, one from a yard sale and the other from eBay.

JJay - 17-8-2018 at 20:18

1.8 kg of dextrose. Also Petri dishes, which I am pretty sure are polystyrene. I constructed a polystyrene thermolysis device with a steel reaction vessel and a passively cooled copper coil condenser, but I'm not sure if I'll get to test it out this weekend.

[Edited on 18-8-2018 by JJay]

Sulaiman - 18-8-2018 at 00:50

I have been stockpiling NaOH (2kg 99% and 3kg draincleaner 90+%) as it may be difficult to buy soon in UK unless the soap-making community can do something.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
and
My garden was infested (invaded via my neighbours garden) with the weed 'mare's tail'/'Horsetail'
https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1093&bih=513&tbm...
which can grow beneath concrete slabs and weed membranes and a pond as far as the barrier exists !
It is an admirable foe that was around before the dinosaurs so is quite resilient to everything.
Glyphosate works but needs regular application and I'm not sure of the health implications.
Alkaline soil is my answer, achieved in extreme around the borders of gravel etc. NaOH definitely increases soil pH !
which kills and suppresses the little bast@&ds
NaOH is a little extreme as a pH modifier, but it is cheap.
(I tried dolomite first, but huge quantities and physical work would have been required)

IF you try NaOH as a weedkiller consider
the direction of the run-off of rainwater,
and how hot water gets when NaOH disproportionates,
and the fact that NaOH solution can burn your face off :o
(handle it with the same care as you would handle conc. sulphuric acid)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
A little bit of irony:
until recently the most 'dangerous' chemicals that I own were all OTC (changed due to EPP)
Sulphuric acid, Caustic Soda, hydrogen peroxide, chlorine-based bleaches and solvents/fuels.
The other chemicals in my 'chemistry set' need deliberate action to become dangerous whereas the OTC chemicals are intrinsically dangerous.
But my wife is still worries about me 'playing with CHEMICALS' :D

[Edited on 18-8-2018 by Sulaiman]

JJay - 18-8-2018 at 01:05

NaOH is one thing I can find in abundant quantity in almost every grocery store. I have never done this, but I can get 25 kg sacks of it delivered to my front door for just over $50 USD. I think people use it for making soap and biodiesel.

Sulfuric acid drain cleaners are harder to find. Home improvement stores have removed them, as have most department stores.

DavidJR - 18-8-2018 at 01:36

Yeah, I ordered 25kg of each sodium hydroxide and potassium hydroxide a while ago.

Abromination - 18-8-2018 at 16:28

All from the grocery store.
NaOH
10% CH3COOH
10 liters distilled H20
Ammonium Hydroxide 10%
CuSO4 pentahydrate
Sulfur (extracted from pH lowering fertilizer)
H2O2

arkoma - 19-8-2018 at 10:20

30 gm NaBH4. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it, but I got it!

woelen - 19-8-2018 at 11:25

It is a very nice reductor. You can precipitate some metals from their salt solutions.
It's also a compound which can make LOTs of hydrogen.
As far as I know, in industry its most important application is as a reductor in organic chemistry, it is capable of reducing a -C(=O)- group to -CH(OH)- .

AvBaeyer - 19-8-2018 at 18:36

Arkoma,

Be sure to store your borohydride in a very dry environment. Storing it insider another tightly capped jar which contains a generous amount of dessicant works fine. Once the borohydride starts to absorb water it gets as hard as a rock. Also, weigh and transfer it rapidly as it quickly becomes "sticky" in moist air (like that found in Arkansas.)

AvB

The Volatile Chemist - 19-8-2018 at 18:55

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
1.8 kg of dextrose. Also Petri dishes, which I am pretty sure are polystyrene. I constructed a polystyrene thermolysis device with a steel reaction vessel and a passively cooled copper coil condenser, but I'm not sure if I'll get to test it out this weekend.

[Edited on 18-8-2018 by JJay]

Wait - all those ruined or used petri dishes I've been throwing away are polystyrene??? Noooo........ I've been stockpiling polystyrene goods for a while now, but have disposed of a lot of Petri dishes in my chemistry-unrelated endeavors (and in my microbio course, too, come to think of it).

I guess that explains why I was able to destroy my micro-well plate so easily, and a Petri dish as well, with the same stuff (BuOAc)...

Treasure hunting while buying something I need in the same store

fusso - 22-8-2018 at 09:04

Na hypophosphite 1kg
Ammonium para tungstate 500g
KBrO3 500g
KI 500g
(NH2OH)2.H2SO4 100g
BaCl2 <500g as some content removed by someone else

arkoma - 22-8-2018 at 13:01

sodium bisulfite

highpower48 - 23-8-2018 at 07:55

500g of phenolphthalein powder.

Schleimsäure - 23-8-2018 at 08:54

- 500g Dimethylamine HCl
- 100ml Isobutylamine
- 250ml Diisopropylamine
- 100g 3,4,5-Trimethoxybenzaldehyde
- 1l Diethyleneglycole

JJay - 7-9-2018 at 20:41

Ethyl acetate.

IMG_20180907_203542.jpg - 128kB

j_sum1 - 7-9-2018 at 21:19

Not an order but a couple of acquisitions nonetheless.

Half as gram of red P for the element collection -- Courtesy of AussieChemist. (Thanks. :)) I hope to be able to add to this soon. But given that my element collection is beginning to be used to show students, it is fantastic to be able to add another one.

90 odd grams of sodium acetate trihydrate left over from someone's hot ice experiment. I saved it from the bin. It is on its way to becoming GAA as I speak. Not that exciting for many I know. But I don't have any GAA. I am short on acetates. I baulk at the price that I see for NaOAc online -- I never seem to find it dirt cheap as it ought to be. And I hate boiling down vinegar and baking soda.

JJay - 7-9-2018 at 22:28

Oh. I have a little bit of that too (somewhat more than half a gram). It was not easy to find. I've been considering breaking it out for experiments, but so far it has just sat in my collection. (I bought it from a collector.)

Boiling down vinegar and baking soda works but is a horrible way to get sodium acetate. I would think that you would have importers and manufacturers selling large sacks of the stuff in Australia somewhere.... I wish I could buy GAA....

[Edited on 9-9-2018 by JJay]

j_sum1 - 7-9-2018 at 22:29

Yeah. I would have thought so too. Actually they do. But I object to paying megabucks for the stuff.

CobaltChloride - 8-9-2018 at 00:59

Isn't glacial acetic acid sold at beekeeping stores where you live? In almost every bigger town in Romania there is such a store which sells glacial acetic acid for a very good price (usually about 6USD per liter) as a disinfectant.

j_sum1 - 8-9-2018 at 03:23

What's a beekeeping store?

Seriously, apiary is not a big thing around here. In some parts of the country, maybe. But I haven't seen a brick-and-mortar beekeeper's supply in the 15 years I have lived here. I used to keep bees so I would have noticed.

A more likely source is cake decorating -- Apparently it is used for some kind of fondant.

But mostly my issue is that it hasn't been my highest priority and I have been penny-pinching as normal. Which means that a free supply of what will amount to a few mL will be rather nice. And nice to have a straightforward little task to do in the lab.

Last chemical order

TheMrbunGee - 10-9-2018 at 08:10

1 x Sodium Nitrite, techn. - min 98,5%, 4 x 1kg, (€16.02)
1 x 1L n-Butanol, >99.5% (€13.12)
1 x Phosphorus Red, >97% , 1kg, (€33.98)

Took it today.
WhatsApp Image 2018-09-10 at 18.57.18.jpeg - 110kB

I think you guys could add prices to your orders, I think it would be very useful and interesting.

Loptr - 10-9-2018 at 09:20

Quote: Originally posted by TheMrbunGee  

Took it today.

I think you guys could add prices to your orders, I think it would be very useful and interesting.

What did you pay for shipping? I see Limac listed several places and their shipping to the USA is astronomical.

TheMrbunGee - 10-9-2018 at 09:48

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  

Took it today.

What did you pay for shipping? I see Limac listed several places and their shipping to the USA is astronomical.

I am kind of lucky, I can drive to them and back in less than hour. So no shipping.

Heptylene - 10-9-2018 at 13:06

Quote: Originally posted by Loptr  

Took it today.

I am kind of lucky, I can drive to them and back in less than hour. So no shipping.

That's my dream! They once quoted me over 150 $ to ship 1 liter of DMF to Switzerland! I would love to do business with them but their shipping charges (for liquids) are just too much.

For solids they aren't too bad I think. I got chloroacetic acid from them and shipping was less than 10 $ for 250 g.

DavidJR - 10-9-2018 at 13:53

Waiting on this exciting order from Limac.lv:

250g Phosphorus Red
250g Sulfur
500g Chromium Trioxide
500g Phosphorus Pentoxide
250g Barium Carbonate
100g Sodium Hydrosulfite (Dithionite)
500ml Acetic Anhydride
250ml Benzyl Alcohol
250ml Benzene
250g Phenol
250g Chloroacetic acid
500ml diisobutyl phthalate

Herr Haber - 11-9-2018 at 03:08

250g Phosphorus Red
250g Sulfur
500g Chromium Trioxide
250g Barium Carbonate
500ml Acetic Anhydride
250ml Benzyl Alcohol
250ml Benzene
250g Phenol
250g Chloroacetic acid

Hi David,
After reading the last comments I too wonder how much you paid for shipping.
Thanks in advance

DavidJR - 11-9-2018 at 03:13

Quote: Originally posted by Herr Haber  

250g Phosphorus Red
250g Sulfur
500g Chromium Trioxide
250g Barium Carbonate
500ml Acetic Anhydride
250ml Benzyl Alcohol
250ml Benzene
250g Phenol
250g Chloroacetic acid

Hi David,
After reading the last comments I too wonder how much you paid for shipping.
Thanks in advance

Shipping to UK was charged at 32.66 EUR.

highpower48 - 11-9-2018 at 07:18

Calcium hydroxide

monolithic - 15-9-2018 at 09:43

In the near future I'd like to obtain some THF (sufficiently pure for running Grignards) and also trimethyl phosphate and dimethyl carbonate (sufficiently pure for methylation reactions.) They don't need to be ultrapure, just pure enough to reliably run those types of reactions. Does anyone have suggestions for sources that will sell to amateur/home chemists? I have considered distilling THF from plumbing chemicals, I think it was PVC piper joiner, but I'm not sure if it would be pure enough for a Grignard.

happyfooddance - 15-9-2018 at 15:18

Quote: Originally posted by highpower48  

That is so much phenolphthalein! What do you plan to use it for? I made a few grams of it recently, and now I have enough of that particular indicator to last me a couple years with frequent use.

500 grams will make about 15 gallons of commercial strength indicator solution.

highpower48 - 16-9-2018 at 07:13

Quote: Originally posted by happyfooddance  

That is so much phenolphthalein! What do you plan to use it for? I made a few grams of it recently, and now I have enough of that particular indicator to last me a couple years with frequent use.

500 grams will make about 15 gallons of commercial strength indicator solution.

It was very inexpensive less than $15.00. For sure a lifetime supply.

happyfooddance - 16-9-2018 at 12:45

It was very inexpensive less than $15.00. For sure a lifetime supply.

Well, that makes perfect sense. I thought you might have been using it to make some interesting complexes, like perhaps cyclodextrins.

JJay - 28-10-2018 at 23:25

I replenished some stocks of chemicals and also ordered two new ones: inositol and tryptophan.

I plan to oxidize the inositol to rhodizonic acid, a useful indicator for lead, mercury, and barium.

I have no specific plans for the tryptophan, but at some point, I will probably test various cheap and easy means of decarboxylation to try to find one that works.

My next acquisition will probably be ethylene glycol.

woelen - 29-10-2018 at 00:22

My newest additions:
- LaB6
- SeO2
- H2SeO3
- I2O5 (P.A. grade, 99.5%)
- HIO3 (uiltrapure, 99.9%)
- red P (99.99%)
- GeCl4 (ampouled, display sample of very high density liquid)
- SiBr4 (ampouled, display sample of very high density liquid)
- Be (display sample)
- Ti2O3
- HOSO2Cl

All of these are more esoteric chemicals, allowing me to do interesting experiments.

j_sum1 - 29-10-2018 at 00:25

Could you post some photos of the GeCl4 and SiBr4, woelen? They sound interesting.

woelen - 29-10-2018 at 04:57

Both are colorless and very dense liquids. I can make pictures of these, but the feel of these ampoules is much more interesting than a picture.

mayko - 29-10-2018 at 07:44

I got a gallon of toluene saturday

Ubya - 30-10-2018 at 00:07

just won an auction on ebay, 100g of bismuth metal for $1,50 and free shipping

Plunkett - 31-10-2018 at 07:41

I snagged a mostly empty jar of dextrose from a university dumpster today. There is not more than a few grams of dextrose left in the jar but it should be enough to do Tollens' test and make a silvered bottle.

The Volatile Chemist - 31-10-2018 at 19:38

Three bottles of dollar store ammonia solution. It was $3 for the total ~5.6L.

I gave a bottle of it a hard shake and it didn't foam at all, but a lot of gas bubbled off - so I set that bottle down and grabbed three others - hopefully it'll be soap-free as I assumed, when I test it tomorrow. Not sure what I'll do with it, but finally having clean ammonia I can do stuff with without all the scum or the foam will be nice.

mayko - 3-11-2018 at 12:47

A bottle of propylene glycol and a bunch of magnesium flashbulbs from the Really Really Free Market today ^_^

JJay - 3-11-2018 at 20:17

A gallon (3.78 L) of 34% hydrogen peroxide.

DavidJR - 5-11-2018 at 08:16

Just placed a couple of orders.

From limac.lv:
250g Iodine
100g Sodium Borohydride
500ml Chlorobenzene
500g Calcium Hypochlorite
1kg Potassium carbonate
250g Aluminum Chloride, anhydrous

From rathburn.co.uk:
500ml Pyridine, Glass Distilled
500ml n-Butyl Chloride, HPLC
1l Chloroform, HPLC
1l Diethyl Ether, Glass Distilled
1l N,N-Dimethylformamide, Glass Distilled
1l Ethyl Acetate, HPLC
1l Hexane (isomer mix), HPLC
1l Methyl-tert-Butyl ether, HPLC
1l Tetrahydrofuran, HPLC
1l Toluene, HPLC

[Edited on 5-11-2018 by DavidJR]

JJay - 11-12-2018 at 16:45

I got a kilogram of 99.8% potassium iodide from a U.S. chemical supplier for a good price. I'm going to use my existing stocks of probably quite impure potassium iodide (which have failed or given dismally low yields in every reaction I have tried) to make elemental iodine for initiating Grignards, etc.

Don - 11-12-2018 at 20:38

3L of Methanol.

DavidJR - 12-12-2018 at 03:47

From Onyxmet:
100g Imidazole
10g Anthracene
100g Basic copper (II) carbonate

From a local supplier:
0.4g Platinum (in the form of wire, 10cm x 0.5mm dia)

From various eBay sellers:
100g Potassium Iodide (turned out to be a scam, they sent me NaCl. I got a refund)
100g Potassium Iodide (from a different seller, was real this time)
50g Menthol
5kg Calcium chloride
500g Sodium thiosulphate
25g Methylene blue
500g Granular activated carbon
20g Camphor
50g Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)
50g Tannic acid
1kg Sodium metabisulphite

Ubya - 12-12-2018 at 04:00

can you link me the ebay seller selling the real potassium iodide? i got scammed as you and i don't who is selling the real stuff

DavidJR - 12-12-2018 at 04:05

Quote: Originally posted by Ubya  
can you link me the ebay seller selling the real potassium iodide? i got scammed as you and i don't who is selling the real stuff

This is the listing that I bought from: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100g-3-52oz-Pure-Potassium-Iodide...

wg48 - 12-12-2018 at 04:27

Two litres of mineral oil from Ebay. Hopefully Xmas will not delay its delivery to long.

JJay - 12-12-2018 at 07:36

The supplier I bought the certified potassium iodide from is out of stock... I found them on Amazon.

solitanze - 22-12-2018 at 11:19

Vanadium pentoxide
Molybdenum trioxide
Barium hydroxide
Copper(II) chloride
Naphtalene

There are many interesting experiments I can perform with these chemicals.

DavidJR - 22-12-2018 at 13:17

Quote: Originally posted by solitanze  
Vanadium pentoxide
Molybdenum trioxide
Barium hydroxide
Copper(II) chloride
Naphtalene

There are many interesting experiments I can perform with these chemicals.

Copper phthalocyanine by any chance?

mayko - 29-12-2018 at 10:56

Visited the brew store looking for agar but found none :( What I did pick up:

88% Lactic acid, 150 mL
Potassium Sorbate, 42g
Potassium carbonate, 112g
"28-34%" Hydrogen peroxide, 1L (They've changed their supplier and it now comes in transparent plastic bottles?!)

Also, from the grocery store: two bottles of Elmer's glue and a box of cornstarch :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqR4_UoBIzY

Abromination - 29-12-2018 at 13:12

20 grams gallium metal, 99%
500mL methanol, dry
650 grams sodium hydroxide
150mL iodine tincture (for iodine extraction)
300mL acetone, 98% dry
500mL hydrogen peroxide, 3%
5L hydrochloric acid, 21%
500mL hydrochloric acid, 0.36%
600 grams sodium metabisulfite, 98%

[Edited on 29-12-18 by Abromination]

j_sum1 - 4-1-2019 at 04:06

250g red P
1kg Ce ingot
10g Ge
100g Li pellets
10g Dy

The element collection is getting a boost and I am getting a couple of nice reagents.
:)

Sulaiman - 4-1-2019 at 11:58

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
... 1kg Ce ingot

:o :o :o :o :o :o

P.S. if you plan on re-selling,
DownUnder Elements or DownUnderTheTable would be a nice play on words for an Aussie lanthanide and actinide seller. :D

[Edited on 4-1-2019 by Sulaiman]

j_sum1 - 4-1-2019 at 19:38

The Ce was a birthday present. It will look great in the element collection. I was not going to divide it. 1kg is actually quite a small nugget.

lordcookies24 - 5-1-2019 at 11:21

500g of potassium hydroxide, I usually try to get my stuff from hardware stores and pharmacies but I could not find a way to easily get potassium hydroxide from any store or even make it from potassium salts.

mayko - 5-1-2019 at 11:31

calcium hydroxide (slaked lime) + potassium carbonate (from wood ash) is the traditional KOH prep, through I'd probably just purchase it myself

NotThatKindofDoc - 7-1-2019 at 04:36

Last chemicals ordered or bought:

Mineral oil
Magnesium shavings
Borneol
Menthol

Very hard to guess what i'll be attempting when I find some spare time

Pages:  1  ..  9    11    13  ..  15