Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  15

arkoma - 26-4-2016 at 14:45

RedP, styrene, and CS2

myristicinaldehyde - 26-4-2016 at 16:02

Vanillin! So much vanillin!

CharlieA - 27-4-2016 at 08:48

CaCl2, Na2SO4, EDTA-Na4

myristicinaldehyde - 27-4-2016 at 12:40

Came back from Home Depot, picked up some copper sulphate among other things.
They also had a drain cleaner which said "WARNING: HYDROGEN PEROXIDE" and none of the usual lye warnings. Very interesting- has anyone ever seen this? I didn't buy it though, and I forgot the name :P

woelen - 27-4-2016 at 12:42

I purchased some LiH. This is amazing stuff. It forms a white powder, so very light that simply opening the bottle already gives fine dust in the air, which is EXTREMELY irritating. The dust is odorless, but it makes you caugh incredibly, even when the amount is so low that you don't even see it.
I can imagine that it is irritating. LiH reacts with water to H2 and LiOH and the latter is a strong base, which is extremely irritating for the throat when inhaled.
LiH reacts violently with water, giving H2 and a fair amount of heat. It also dissolves in methanol and ethanol, giving methoxide and ethoxide in solution. That is why I purchased this stuff.

myristicinaldehyde - 27-4-2016 at 12:51

Woelen, where did you get the LiH? Sounds interesting!

bolbol - 27-4-2016 at 23:00

Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
RedP, styrene, and CS2

Could I have some of your CS2? :D

woelen - 27-4-2016 at 23:25

Quote: Originally posted by myristicinaldehyde  
This was a one-time opportunity. I had this from Onyxmet in Poland, but the company doesn't have it anymore.

myristicinaldehyde - 28-4-2016 at 04:20

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
Quote: Originally posted by myristicinaldehyde  
This was a one-time opportunity. I had this from Onyxmet in Poland, but the company doesn't have it anymore.

I'll keep my eyes peeled.

careysub - 28-4-2016 at 05:39

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I purchased some LiH. This is amazing stuff. It forms a white powder, so very light that simply opening the bottle already gives fine dust in the air, which is EXTREMELY irritating. The dust is odorless, but it makes you caugh incredibly, even when the amount is so low that you don't even see it.
I can imagine that it is irritating. LiH reacts with water to H2 and LiOH and the latter is a strong base, which is extremely irritating for the throat when inhaled.
LiH reacts violently with water, giving H2 and a fair amount of heat. It also dissolves in methanol and ethanol, giving methoxide and ethoxide in solution. That is why I purchased this stuff.

You may have seen these reports:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/lanl1_a/lib-www/la-pubs/004073...
http://www.sciencemadness.org/lanl1_a/lib-www/la-pubs/003719...

arkoma - 28-4-2016 at 06:23

Quote: Originally posted by bolbol  
Quote: Originally posted by arkoma  
RedP, styrene, and CS2

Could I have some of your CS2? :D

Only have 50ml :(

careysub - 28-4-2016 at 09:53

If there is significant demand for CS2 here it can be obtained from ReagentStore.com (South Korea based) for $60/kg. Split several ways thats not much. 200 mL four ways, 100 mL eight ways?

JJay - 28-4-2016 at 12:34

I bought a camera for making videos :)

bolbol - 28-4-2016 at 20:01

Quote: Originally posted by careysub  
If there is significant demand for CS2 here it can be obtained from ReagentStore.com (South Korea based) for $60/kg. Split several ways thats not much. 200 mL four ways, 100 mL eight ways?

Holy crap dude, I love you!
I just placed an order for a KG and it indeed turned out to be $60.
Id pay double that honestly but I didnt know of any other place whod sell it to me.

j_sum1 - 28-4-2016 at 22:49

careysub
How long have you been hiding that gem of a supplier?
What a fantastic range. Of course some of it is pricey, but if you need something specific...

Loptr - 1-5-2016 at 16:03

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
careysub
How long have you been hiding that gem of a supplier?
What a fantastic range. Of course some of it is pricey, but if you need something specific...

They are pretty well known. I want to say the either are or were an eBay seller. There are quite a few others like them that sell chemicals online with a sales front seemingly oriented to one-off clientele.

I think ReagentStore is the only international one that I can think of, besides onyxmet, of course, which happens to be another wonderful source of many things not easily attainable to the amateur. Check them out. I have used them quite a bit for various things here and there.

bolbol - 9-5-2016 at 13:33

My CS2 came through. Well packaged and was labeled nicely !

Well worth the 60$

Chem Rage - 11-5-2016 at 01:48

Oxalic acid
KOH
KMnO4
And plenty of "chemicals" with Si-O bonds:
A new 50mL burette
A 250mL Erlenmeyer
Some sparkling new borosilicate glass beakers in various sizes; the smallest being 50mL.

Loptr - 11-5-2016 at 07:38

VWR High-Density Polyethylene Wide Mouth Bottles, 250mL, 72 count

This is what I will be using to package the Sodium Borohydride (NaBH4). I have messaged a couple of people about free samples already, but if you are interested, shoot me a U2U and we can work out a deal for purchase. I will be posting an official sales thread, but not until I get feedback so that I can address any potential issues.

[Edited on 11-5-2016 by Loptr]

KodasLab - 11-5-2016 at 10:50

Acetone 1L
Xylene 50 ml
Glacial acetic acid 1L
Sodium Benzoate 250 g
1-Pentanol 200 ml
Acetic anhydride 1L (!!)
Calcium chloride 500 g
Ammonia 24% 1L
Sodium hydroxide 250 g
Ammonium chloride 250 g
Sulfuric acid 2L

100PercentChemistry - 11-5-2016 at 16:26

500g niacin
6 purex testubes
250mL p.e.a funnel
Potasisum bromide 50g
1L glacial acetic acid
250g sodium hydroxide from hardware store.
Salicylate acid
25mL phenolphthalein
Copper sulfate pentahydrate 1kg

[Edited on 5-12-2016 by 100PercentChemistry]

unfrozen - 14-5-2016 at 20:42

I just bought a large amount of NaOH for making soap. The chemical is slightly interesting at best. It is food grade and uniform beads without dust. The nice part is the price, about one dollar per kilogram after tax. The bad part is driving 200 miles to get it. I also got citric acid for my water softener.

JJay - 14-5-2016 at 23:12

Distilled water and corn starch.

Melgar - 15-5-2016 at 02:32

Concentrated nitric acid, 30% H2O2, 28% ammonia, and a bunch of lantern carbon/zinc batteries for the MnO2 and graphite rods. Also, some sulfuric acid drain cleaner. Apparently, on 47th St. in Manhattan, there are stores that sell all sorts of metal refining chemicals OTC.

solitanze - 24-5-2016 at 12:33

Elemental barium (sample in ampoule)
Sodium nitrite
Sodium azide
Potassium bromide

Schleimsäure - 24-5-2016 at 13:20

1l Thionyl chloride
250g 2-Naphtole

The Volatile Chemist - 24-5-2016 at 16:23

Glassware, used:
500mL Teflon Sep Funnel
250mL Actinic Flask (have little idea *what* to do with it...)
10, 25, 100, 200 mL Volumetric flasks
10 mL beaker :)
All from my AP chemistry teacher.

woelen - 7-6-2016 at 13:26

5 kg of NaNO2 (99+% food additive containing 0.5% very fine SiO2 added as anticaking agent) and 500 g of glycine.
I want to try making the mysterious blue volatile liquid as described here: http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=65553

I ordered a lot of NaNO2, because I also want to try how easy it is to make HNO3 from dilute H2SO4 and NaNO2 and oxygen from air. This is because nitric acid is not available anymore at all and KNO3, NaNO3 and NH4NO3 are nearly impossible to get where I live. The NaNO2 was cheap, the price is appr. EUR 25 per 5 kg.

The Volatile Chemist - 23-6-2016 at 10:49

Wow, that is a good price. though I suspect it's slightly industrial-grade.

I just bought 420g NH4NO3 in the form of four cold packs. Cost slightly under $10. Probably confused the dame at the cash register at the CVS I got it from. She was pretty chill though.

Texium - 2-7-2016 at 09:51

From Duda Diesel:

1L formic acid, 95%
1L acetic acid, 98.9%
2lb potassium hydroxide

Trevor9424 - 3-7-2016 at 12:38

Magnesium ribbon (60cm)
Lead(II) Nitrate (30 grams)
Sodium Bisulfate (30 grams)
Ammonium Chloride (30 grams)
Hydrochloric acid 30% (60 ml)
Concentrated sulfuric acid (60ml)

I needed conc. Sulfuric acid for my first Fischer esterification

Texium - 3-7-2016 at 16:11

I see you like to work small scale ;)
Good luck with the esterification though, they're fun. Which ester are you planning to make?

Trevor9424 - 3-7-2016 at 17:01

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I see you like to work small scale ;)
Good luck with the esterification though, they're fun. Which ester are you planning to make?

I just recently did the esterification :) . I tried making isopropyl salicylate. I added some salicylic acid powder I made at home and the sulfuric acid(about 1-2 ml) to a 50 ml. Flask with about 10 ml of isopropyl alcohol(it wasn't anhydrous, it was 70% which likely deteriorated the yield). I heated the solution at reflux through a hot water bath at around 80 degrees Celsius. Soon, a layer formed so I added the mixture to a separatory funnel and drained off the larger lower layer and added the water layer to another container. Repeat.

Afterwards: had less than 1/4 a milliliter of the ester... :( :mad:

Things that could've been done to improve the yield likely:
-Boil off the alcohol, isopropyl alcohol has a lower boiling point than isopropyl salicylate according to a couple sources after a few minutes of research (I think the ester's boiling point was 100-200 degrees Celsius according to various sources while isopropyl alcohol's is about 82). I've read that boiling off the alcohol during Fischer esterification can increase yield due to equilibrium of the ester and its reactants.

-Add the product mixture directly to a sodium bicarbonate/carbonate solution to neutralize the sulfuric acid and prevent loss of the ester due to the reverse reaction.

Overall, there was lots of room for improvement and I'll definitely add the two actions above to improve the yield. :)

Sources for the ester's boiling point:

http://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.11345.html

http://chemicalland21.com/specialtychem/NH/ISOPROPYL%20SALIC...

I feel that chemspider's information (120 degrees C) is more reliable than Chemicalland21's info (over 200 degrees C)

[Edited on 7-4-2016 by Trevor9424]

Texium - 3-7-2016 at 18:47

What did it smell like? I tried making isopropyl salicylate once and thought it just smelled gross and vegetal. I didn't attempt it again.

NeonPulse - 4-7-2016 at 21:36

Sodium thiosulfate. 50g
Cerium metal.5g
Sodium benzoate.250g
Dicyandiamide.100g
Boric acid.100g
I have a few experiments lined up in the near future.
Also bought a simax 2l Erlenmeyer flask for reasonably cheap.

coalminecanary - 5-7-2016 at 00:48

It's my time to post something!

These 2 moving boxes just came in the door, I can tell one of them is very heavy...

qceL3Z9.jpg - 136kB

So I unboxed the stuff, and here is the result. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnzF837vzcY

Sorry about my weird English!
Was it worth it?

j_sum1 - 5-7-2016 at 02:05

You scored well. I can't believe all those bottles fitted into those two boxes.
Pretty cool.
Now for the ground glass and the hotplate/stirrer and the heating mantle and the vacuum pump and the teflon tubing and the DC power supply and the electrodes and the chemicals and some more chemicals and the storage cabinet and the fume hood and the thermometers and thermocouples and the inert gases and the glove box and...

Hey you are in the deep end now. There is no escape.

coalminecanary - 5-7-2016 at 02:07

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
You scored well. I can't believe all those bottles fitted into those two boxes.
Pretty cool.
Now for the ground glass and the hotplate/stirrer and the heating mantle and the vacuum pump and the teflon tubing and the DC power supply and the electrodes and the chemicals and some more chemicals and the storage cabinet and the fume hood and the thermometers and thermocouples and the inert gases and the glove box and...

Hey you are in the deep end now. There is no escape.

Don't worry. Got the teflon tubing on the way, along with a hotplate stirrer, and I have a vacuum pump already.

I need a good mercury thermometer and some more storage space. I'd eventually like to dedicate a room to my lab instead of the messy shed. Not a pretty sight.

BUt yeah! Pretty stoked about being surronded by media bottles as I'm typing this.

Edit: Also have a motor rig coming for setting up a Lead Dioxide plater for some electrolysis where you should use platinum. Maybe I should do a video on that?

I was considering doing some chemistry videos to fill the gap of ChemPlayer for entertainment. Although I'm nowhere near as good, I figured it'd be a good way to get some input along the way. Just gotta fix my shitty accent/English first. Maybe I'll use text-to-speech like ChemPlayer, that works out great!

[Edited on 5-7-2016 by coalminecanary]

j_sum1 - 5-7-2016 at 02:30

Your English is fine.
There is always room for another good chem channel along the lines of nudrage, Doug;s Lab, NileRed and chemplayer, I'll add the now-retired myst32YT and hkparker to that list too.
All the best with your endeavours. I will watch this space.

Trevor9424 - 5-7-2016 at 09:46

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
What did it smell like? I tried making isopropyl salicylate once and thought it just smelled gross and vegetal. I didn't attempt it again.

My sample (despite smelling slightly of isopropyl alcohol and being small) does smell a bit like an old, warm vegetable. I wish sources would use more words than "green" to describe an ester's scent.

"Green? Like freshly mowed grass green or cooked spinach green?"

Apparently, isopropyl salicylate is the latter. :P

Texium - 5-7-2016 at 14:28

Yeah, that sounds like what I smelled. The only good salicylate ester in my opinion is methyl. I've smelled ethyl, n-propyl, isopropyl, butyl, and benzyl also and they're all bad.

coalminecanary - 6-7-2016 at 04:21

Got a hotplate stirrer aswell today! Lab is looking pretty promising equipment-wise. I'm considering exchanging it for a 19x19 one though, 12x12 (cm) seems a little small.

20160705_111514.jpg - 376kB20160706_125845.jpg - 255kB5liter.jpg - 176kB20160706_125845_bottle.jpg - 184kBtable.jpg - 300kB

woelen - 12-7-2016 at 22:46

I purchased some KOCN and NaOCN, both general lab reagent grade. Very cheap at the moment at Onyxmet, for just a little more than EUR 5 per 100 grams. Grab it while it still is there ;)

I've no experience with the cyanate ion and want to explore its chemistry. I already found out that it forms no interesting complex with iron(III), as opposed to the thiocyanate ion, but it does form an interesting intensely blue colored complex with cobalt(II). Interesting to see that there analogies between thiocyanate and cyanate, but the analogy does not extend very far.

coalminecanary - 22-7-2016 at 11:08

tgoiKmD.jpg - 844kB

40$ worth of stuff. Overall happy with the pickup.

The Volatile Chemist - 22-7-2016 at 12:33

Quite the collection coalminecanary...was this an Ebay sale? I don't think you said where you got it in the video.

coalminecanary - 22-7-2016 at 14:25

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Quite the collection coalminecanary...was this an Ebay sale? I don't think you said where you got it in the video.

It was from a sale on the danish version of craigslist. She had some media bottles for sale, I don't think she knew what she had, because they were listed as "decorative bottles". So I asked if she had more than just bottles, and she said she had a whole box of beakers and stuff she didn't think she could sell, so she didn't list it. That's where I got it all from.

Texium - 22-7-2016 at 15:33

250g benzophenone

Don't really know what to use it for, other than making the really intense blue benzophenone sodium ketyl if I ever get my hands on some sodium metal, but it was insanely cheap so I snapped it up.

AvBaeyer - 22-7-2016 at 18:33

ZTS16,

You can do a photoreduction of benzophenone to benzhydryl alcohol in isopropanol, a reaction which is quite efficient and run in sunlight. The benzhydryl alcohol can be used to form the the diphenylmethane cation which in turn can be reacted with a variety of nucleophiles producing rather interesting organic molecules - the Ritter reaction comes to mind as an example. The chemistry can be a bit sophisticated but is easily done by a knowledgeable hobbyist.

AvB

Herr Haber - 25-7-2016 at 14:38

Quote: Originally posted by coalminecanary  

BUt yeah! Pretty stoked about being surronded by media bottles as I'm typing this.
[Edited on 5-7-2016 by coalminecanary]

Definitely a good deal. I know the blue caps and have plenty of the PTFE lined red ones. Great deal indeed if yours are PTFE lined too. Seing all the red they probably worth 200 $ alone!

Over here I got a new digital magnetic stirrer with a temperature probe under the heating element and an external probe. It wasnt cheap but in 5 minutes I was certain I would love it. It's a lot more responsive that the old one I was given.

Also got a PTFE membrane vacuum pump. Price tag: 666 Euros after discount. I should find something diabolical to do with it but I think for the moment it will be mostly used to reclaim solvents.

Got 2 meters of Viton tubing and a nice big funnel aswell.

Got a new job aswell... so much to do... so little time :P

violet sin - 26-7-2016 at 16:45

500g choline chloride, intended for DES experiments with urea. 50# sack of the latter couple weeks ago( few pounds to play with, rest for yard and garden). Should prove to be fun. Need to find time to recrystalize urea first though.

Brom - 1-8-2016 at 17:47

I found these sitting in the back of my chem supplier and they forgot they even had them. I had to go ahead and get them. $60 for both. I suppose I'm pretty set for nitrates for a good while.

image.jpg - 1.4MB image.jpg - 1.3MB

moominjuice - 15-8-2016 at 05:48

Thats cool, i recently moved and left behind aprox 25kg of NaNO3 by accident, and going to pick it up would be a pain in the arse :(

on a more positive note 1kg of KI arrived a couple of days ago for £38 which i just had to have at that price :)

(edited grammar because my brain isn't correctly installed)

[Edited on 15-8-2016 by moominjuice]

Brom - 17-8-2016 at 21:23

i saw these cool looking acid bottles online. I think they are from the 40's. I bought one for nitric acid.

image.jpg - 1.5MB

Nucleophile - 18-8-2016 at 01:22

Few beakers. As well as 1000 g of Molybdenum oxide, 250 g of NaI (I use NaI instead of KI as I get more I- for the same price!)

battoussai114 - 18-8-2016 at 06:33

Bought 150g of Nickel from place that supply plating companies, ended up being cheaper than buying from China. Problem is I haven't had time to do zilch with it =/

Texium - 18-8-2016 at 08:11

Quote: Originally posted by Brom  
i saw these cool looking acid bottles online. I think they are from the 40's. I bought one for nitric acid.

I love those bottles! If I could afford to, I'd buy every unique one I could find.

Mailinmypocket - 18-8-2016 at 11:45

100ml of 50% hexafluorozirconic acid in water was given to me, not sure what to do with it really... I accepted it without really thinking.

RocksInHead - 24-8-2016 at 11:28

4L of 35% H2O2 from Fisher

[Edited on 24-8-2016 by RocksInHead]

20160824_160117.jpg - 2.7MB

j_sum1 - 25-8-2016 at 03:49

Vanadium pentoxide -- 100g all the way from Bulgaria.

It's been on the must get list for a while. When I saw it at a good price I couldn't think of an excuse.

Mailinmypocket - 25-8-2016 at 05:56

Nice! Vanadium pentoxide is one chemical I have always wanted (no vanadium compounds) but never gotten around to buying cheaply or easily.

Maker - 25-8-2016 at 06:47

5L of 96% sulphuric acid for £20, cheaper than drain cleaner. :D

mr.crow - 6-9-2016 at 15:22

I got some heavy water FOR FREE!!!

I grabbed 3 empty D2O bottles from the trash at the university. Each one had a few drops left in it.

I suspect its mostly regular H2O absorbed from the air by a tiny bit of D2O stuck to the glass. Is there any way to test the ratio? The fact its hygroscopic is fascinating.

heavywater.jpg - 72kB

j_sum1 - 6-9-2016 at 15:47

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvfVn8_dM4U

Cody does an analysis on his D2O that he had five days to produce. Some interesting findings especially with respect to the NaOH he was using. Of course he had access to some technical equipment for this one.
You might look up his earlier experiments where he makes D2O and performs a variety of experiments on it. A density measurement springs to mind but you might have difficulty with such a small volume and it would also be affected significantly by whatever other contaminants are present (or introduced).

Have fun!

Brom - 28-9-2016 at 13:21

I didn't have any particular need for this but i picked it up anyway because it was a good deal.

20160928_143830.jpg - 2.4MB

mayko - 2-10-2016 at 08:20

The local brew etc. store has packets of something called "PBW" from Five Star Chemicals & Supply, Inc. The label claims it contains sodium metasilicate and sodium carbonate; the MSDS says it's sodium silicate and/or "silicates, phosphates, and surfactants". This is the only sodium silicate I've seen in a brick and mortar store since the old-fashioned pharmacy stopped carrying it. It wasn't expensive so I got a pack but I haven't come up with a good way to separate the silicate from the carbonate and others. I wonder if I can grow a chemical garden in it?

MSDS:
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/PBWMSDS2...
Tech sheet:
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/PBWTech....
Commercial:
http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/breweries/homebrewing/produ...

Brom - 3-10-2016 at 14:45

Acquired this today. The silver oxide and iodate bottles are unopened but appear to be quite old. The chems inside look as they should.

20161003_173343.jpg - 2.3MB

woelen - 3-10-2016 at 22:49

The silver oxide and silver iodate are very nice. Those are worth quite a lot of money.

Brom - 4-10-2016 at 08:06

Thats what i was thinking. I didn't have any silver compounds because they are so expensive. I was fortunate to get these for a great price and they are 4 oz bottles. I dont know what they are worth but im sure I got a good deal.

woelen - 4-10-2016 at 10:14

Especially the silver oxide is very interesting. This allows you to make nearly any silver salt in aqueous solution, by adding the oxide to a small amount of dilute acid. This works especially well for nitrates, perchlorates and acetates.

woelen - 6-10-2016 at 22:25

For my element collection I purchased an ampoule of 10 grams of 99.9999% arsenic and a piece of 2.7 grams of 99.9% beryllium, disk shaped. Have a look at Onyxmet's website for these samples, he just received very affordable samples of Be and As, very nice and shiny samples of very pure material.

mayko - 7-10-2016 at 07:25

I got ten polarizing filters off eBay ... I'm going to get some karo syrup from the grocery store and do some photography with the sugars' rotation of polarized light :cool:

AngelEyes - 7-10-2016 at 07:27

Darrant Chemicals - anyone had any dealings with them?

I ordered some bits on the 20th Sept, nothing dodgy or nasty, but have had nothing back. They took the cash immediately, but then squat. No delivery, no emails, no phone calls and if you try to call them it just rings and rings. Found this:
https://www.yell.com/biz/darrant-chemicals-lincoln-8313838/
...which does not fill me with confidence.

I'll give it another few days but then, assuming I have still got nothing, I may have to write it off. Annoying. I'd not recommend these cowboys at all.

I used a credit card...anyone know my rights on getting a refund etc?

Cheers

Angel.

woelen - 7-10-2016 at 10:28

If you used a credit card, then most likely you can reclaim the money through the credit card company. This is how things work in NL, don't know the situation in the UK.

Fisher-Johns Melting Point Apparatus

CharlieA - 8-10-2016 at 15:21

Not a chemical, but useful to evaluate chemicals. I bought this in an ebay auction for USD15 (plus USD 16 shipping!. Only thing wrong was that the thermometer was missing (the seller said broken - same difference), and the ferrule or bushing where the thermometer bulb enters the heating block is badly corroded. That is a type K thermocouple I have inserted into the thermometer port. The unit is not calibrated yet. I may tap a hole into the heating block to mount the thermocouple.

I've searched for a manual but the only thing I can find are from outfits and sell pdf's.

Picture attached.

IMG_20161008_174928.jpg - 71kB

NeonPulse - 10-10-2016 at 17:07

Got a 2.9g sample of elemental arsenic on the way. There's been an empty space in my element collection for a while now.

Schleimsäure - 15-10-2016 at 14:23

Will collect a big order in a few days:

1,4-Dioxane 2l
1,10-Phenantroline 100g
1-Pentanole 1l
1-Propanole 2l
4-Aminobenzoicacid 100g
4-Nitrophenole 250g
Acetaldehyde 500 ml
Acetylchloride 85 ml
Adipinic acid 250g
Alkali blue 50g
Ammoniumdichromate 500g
Ammoniummolybdate 100g
Anthracene 250g
Antimonpentachloride 250 g (>100 ml)
Arsene (III)-oxid 250g
Bismuthchloride 50g
Lead(II)-acetate 250g
Lead(II)-chloride 100g
Lead(II)-nitrate 1 kg
Bromothymoleblue 50g
Cer(IV).oxide 100g
Chloralhydrate 328 g +164 g
Benzoylchloride 1,64 L
Cyclohexanole 3l
Diphenylamine 250 g
Ferrous (III)-chloride anhydrous 500g
Formamide 500ml
Hexachloroethane 1 kg (technical)
Hexachlororethane 1 kg (pure)
Hydrazinesulfate 500g
Hydrochinone 250g
Hydroxylamine HCl 500g
Iodinechloride 50g
HI 55% 100ml
Potassiumbromate 250g
Carbondisulfide 2l
Kresolered 50g
Lanthaniumchloride 25g
LiAlH 150g
Malachite green 50g
Malonic acid 250g
Chloroacetic acid 2 kg
Sodium azide 250g
Sodium sulfide 1 kg
n-Butanole 2l
Nitrobenzene 1l
Paraformaldehyde 326 g
Periodic acid 100 g
Phenyleacetic acid 500 g
Pyrogallole 250g
Propionic acid 1l
Pyrrole 50ml
Rhodamine B 50g
Nitric acid >98% 1l
Triethanoleamine 1l
Triflouroactic acid 100 ml
Uranylacetate 25g
Stannic chloride 5xH2O 100g
Chlorobenzene 1l
Resorcine 1kg
Thiourea 1kg
Sodium 1 kg
Aluminum(III)-chloride anh. 500g
Copper(II)-chloride 250g
Acetonitile 1 L
Cadmiumchloride 250 g

Maybe I can give away smaller amounts (50 to 250 g or ml), if it's within the law of the respective country. Only two items are technical grade, rest is pure at least.

[Edited on 15-10-2016 by Schleimsäure]

CharlieA - 15-10-2016 at 17:29

urea, benzoic acid, oxalic acid, EDTANa2
for mp standards and future syntheses

Brom - 20-10-2016 at 14:09

20161020_162042.jpg - 2.8MB

j_sum1 - 27-10-2016 at 01:17

2016-10-27 18.55.14.jpg - 1.1MB

Not sure what I am going to do with it. But it seemed too good to pass up. I am going to recommend the seller: there are a lot of interesting product lines and all seem to be at a reasonable price. A good source for Aussies in particular who are after natural extracts and food-related products.

www.stores.ebay.com.au/AXENIC-Labs

wg48 - 27-10-2016 at 02:27

Quote: Originally posted by AngelEyes  
Darrant Chemicals - anyone had any dealings with them?

I ordered some bits on the 20th Sept, nothing dodgy or nasty, but have had nothing back. They took the cash immediately, but then squat. No delivery, no emails, no phone calls and if you try to call them it just rings and rings. Found this:
https://www.yell.com/biz/darrant-chemicals-lincoln-8313838/
...which does not fill me with confidence.

I'll give it another few days but then, assuming I have still got nothing, I may have to write it off. Annoying. I'd not recommend these cowboys at all.

I used a credit card...anyone know my rights on getting a refund etc?

Cheers

Angel.

Have you received your order ? Have they responded to you?

I was considering ordering from them but perhaps not anymore.

woelen - 27-10-2016 at 03:49

I had a nice exchange last week.

10 grams of 99.9999% arsenic, ampouled in glass under argon, an ampoule full of Be (99.9%) and a disk of Be 99.9% (4 cm x 3 mm) in exchange for 4 ampoules, filled with NO2 gas and 2 ampoules filled with BrCl. I made these ampoules with the gasses myself. I have a few very beautiful samples added to my element collection :)

j_sum1 - 29-10-2016 at 14:47

Not a chemical order -- do we have one of these threads for hardware?
I am not pretending that it is going to be high quality but at the price is was worth grabbing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/311616125799

s-l500.jpg - 20kB

The downside is that I am sure that customs/police will interpret it as some kind of dope bong and the boys in blue will pay me another visit. And I will have to justify the existence of my lab yet again [sigh].

CharlieA - 29-10-2016 at 16:17

Nice piece of glassware!
Why are so many members of this board so paranoid?

j_sum1 - 29-10-2016 at 16:31

Because I have had a coupe of visits from ordering Chinese glassware and having it intercepted at customs.

The first visit was friendly enough. The second was a bit nasty and my item was confiscated. (Although I was answering all their questions as accurately as I could, I was describing a Dean Stark that I had on order and not the drying tube that they had stalled at customs. Because I had not correctly identified the item they apparently decided that I had no legitimate use for it.) In short, I am becoming familiar with the systems in use around here and know that the cow adapter may cause headaches. But at fifteen bucks it is worth the risk.

NedsHead - 29-10-2016 at 21:05

if I recall correctly you said you're a school teacher J? and even with that knowledge the police still give you the 3rd degree?? I find that really shocking!, announcing you are a teacher and giving them a tour of your lab should be enough to have them treat you respectfully and leave you alone

j_sum1 - 29-10-2016 at 21:19

You have it correct NH. But this is not the thread for this discussion. I might fill in details in Tdep's "Police finally showed up" thread.

CharlieA - 31-10-2016 at 16:35

Not a chemical order, but related...My wife an I attended a flea market in Grafton, IL a week or so ago. I make stuff with a scroll saw, and even though I am somewhat (snobbishly) disdainful of those who make stuff with a computer-guided laser/router/wood burning stylus, etc., she found this for me. It is made on a sheet of 3/16" thick x ~17" high x ~24" wide plywood. I would certainly have been driven crazy (crazier?) trying to make something similar on my scroll saw. Now I just have to make a suitable frame for it...:)

mayko - 5-11-2016 at 15:34

Quote: Originally posted by mayko  
It wasn't expensive so I got a pack but I haven't come up with a good way to separate the silicate from the carbonate and others. I wonder if I can grow a chemical garden in it?

I made a strong solution and let it cool, then poured off the supernatant from the crystals which formed. This is indeed generating tubes and spikes from some nickel/cobalt salts i threw in!

brubei - 9-11-2016 at 13:33

I'm about to send little order to a shop (nov. 21th)

Graphite
SiO2 40-60 µm
CaSO4
Pissette
KOH

I can share those with someone in EU.

They also have a huge catalogue if you can't access to some products for any reason, except schedule compounds :)

[Edited on 9-11-2016 by brubei]

[Edited on 10-11-2016 by brubei]

I forgot the picture!

CharlieA - 13-11-2016 at 05:04

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
Not a chemical order, but related...My wife and I attended a flea market in Grafton, IL a week or so ago. I make stuff with a scroll saw, and even though I am somewhat (snobbishly) disdainful of those who make stuff with a computer-guided laser/router/wood burning stylus, etc., she found this for me. It is made on a sheet of 3/16" thick x ~17" high x ~24" wide plywood. I would certainly have been driven crazy (crazier?) trying to make something similar on my scroll saw. Now I just have to make a suitable frame for it...:)

PerTablPW.jpg - 70kB

[Edited on 11-13-2016 by CharlieA]

mayko - 9-12-2016 at 09:39

Potassium chloride (-> chlorate)
methylene chloride (general solvent)
calcium metal (-> calcium silicide)
an assortment of LEDs (nanoprisms)

NeonPulse - 9-12-2016 at 21:49

my last chemical order was simply 1l methanol, 500g Copper sulfate, 750mls IPA and 100 99.9% tin granules.
We really need a thread on latest glass/equipment obtained also i think. several other users here have posted things of that nature and i have too.

I recently got a bunch of glass on the extreme cheap including:
The best item was an Isolab 2000ml sep funnel on a rectangular stand with the bosshead/ring= i checked the price and just the glass was 175$ new not inc the stand. score!
3X 125ml sep funnels
a 250ml sep funnel
2X 500ml volumetric flasks
2X 1000ml volumetric flasks
500ml ground glass erlenmeyer 24/29
250ml wide mouth reagent jar all boro glass.
400ml Ilmabor beaker
13 medium sized test tubes plus the rack
10 small glass vials
bunsen burner+ tripod and gauze matt
quality safety goggles
3 bossheads
small bosshead/ring
3 cork lined clamps
beaker tongs, test tube tongs
some isolab pipettes 5ml and pipette bulb which looks new
electric heating matt
other bits and pieces like syringes ,disposable pipettes plastic bottles with droppers,spatulas, hose for gas bottle for the bunsen burner.

All of this cost me only $100! i could not believe my luck. i could not pass it up. The 2000ml sep funnel is worth more than that alone and the small sep funnels were all brand new and still had the little bits of paper
in the tap to stop them getting stuck. the bunsen burner looks new as well. the tripod is still shiny and the gauze is not burnt.

[Edited on 10-12-2016 by NeonPulse]

IMG_0627.JPG - 1.3MB

j_sum1 - 9-12-2016 at 22:29

woot. what a great purchase. have some fun with it.

And I agree. A proud new glassware thread is overdue. Ideally with prunings from this thread but I know that is a pretty big ask.

Db33 - 10-12-2016 at 12:46

4-piperidone
heating mantle/stirrer
hotplate/stirrer
1000ml sep funnel
250ml sep funnel
2 buchner funnels, 1 sintered, 1 with holes
some filter erlenmeyers
3 neck 1000ml, 500ml round bottoms
pressurized addition funnel
vacuum pump

THAT was a good day!

JJay - 10-12-2016 at 16:10

Hello, everyone. It's been quite a while. I am back in civilization. Right now, I don't have a good place to do any chemistry that is smelly or dangerous, but I'm pleased to report that my chemicals and equipment seem to have survived without a mishap!

I recently obtained several accessories for my 3000 mL 24/29 3-neck flask: a 3000 mL heating mantle, a 24/40 60 cm Dimroth condenser, a 24/40 1000 mL addition funnel (with PTFE stopcock), and an overhead stirrer. The stirrer needs some repairs (in particular, the chuck is crooked), and I need to build or purchase a power supply for the heating mantle, but I'm going to have a pretty sweet reaction apparatus.

Chemicals:
Calcium hydroxide
Sodium borohydride
Ammonium sulfate
Cobalt carbonate

(Oh and my first YouTube video should go up this afternoon if I can figure out how to fix a video resizing issue.)

[Edited on 11-12-2016 by JJay]

Chlorine - 10-12-2016 at 16:37

Two separate 25' magnesium ribbons, Potassium nitrate, sodium metabisulfate and some scrap aluminium.

PirateDocBrown - 16-12-2016 at 16:56

Hmm, let's see,

From my local pottery supply:

BaCO3, 1 lb
CaCO3, 1 lb
CaF2, 1 lb
CaHPO4, 5 lb
FeSO4, 1 lb
K2CO3, 5 lb
H3BO3, 1 lb
MnO2, 1 lb
Fe2O3, 1lb

From Duda:

Glacial Acetic, 1 L
Formic, 1 L
Sulfuric, 1 L
Phosphoric, 1 L
BHT, 1 oz
Citric Acid, 5 lb
Ascorbic Acid, 1 oz
NaNO2, 1 lb
NaNO3, 1 lb
KOH, 2 lb
Ethanol, 100% 1 L
Isopropanol, 100% 1 L

Pyro Chem Source for:

K2Cr2O7 1 lb
Sr(NO3)2 1 lb
powdered carbon, 1 lb

The local brewery supply had

K2S2O5, 1 lb

I'm also fortunate to have Elemental Scientific about 6 miles from my front door.

[Edited on 12/17/16 by PirateDocBrown]

j_sum1 - 16-12-2016 at 17:52

What are you going to do with more than 2kg of citric acid?

PirateDocBrown - 17-12-2016 at 01:03

Bath bombs!

JJay - 19-12-2016 at 21:26

Acetaminophen, for making hydroquinone. Every synthesis I see requires making benzoquinone first and then reducing it with iron or other mild reducing agents. Benzoquinone seems to be a hot commodity, requiring DEA paperwork from many vendors, even though it is not specifically a listed substance AFAIK.

I have little interest in benzoquinone at the present time, but I do want some hydroquinone.

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  15