Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  23    25
Author: Subject: Hydrazine
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2024 at 06:36

By heating I assume you mean fire? How much temperature are we talking about? What are the byproducts released? I need to make sure so I can take the safety precautions needed.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2024 at 07:38

Quote: Originally posted by ManyInterests  

I'm curious as how much of your other reagents you used as well.

I used NileRed’s quantities.

I never heard of EDTA before this. Why did you opt to use it in the place of gelatin? unflavored gelatin is ubiquitous and cheap.

I have EDTA on my shelf. I bought it a long time ago together with Eriochrome Black T to do potable water titrations. Since EDTA is known as a powerful chelator, I decided to use it instead of gelatine.

I will definitely try to recrystallise it when I have time, but I was surprised.

[Edited on 22-4-2024 by Keras]
EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: wrooom

[*] posted on 22-4-2024 at 07:58

By heating I assume you mean fire? How much temperature are we talking about? What are the byproducts released? I need to make sure so I can take the safety precautions needed.

According to ChemSpider it decomposes at melting point 254-255 °C: https://www.chemspider.com/Chemical-Structure.23225.html (Properties tab)

Products of decomposition should be N2, H2O and SO2. Only the last one is of concern, being a lung irritant. But if you test a tiny quantity outside or in your balcony-turned-into-fume-hood, it should be fine.

Wroom wroom
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2024 at 08:37

But I am curious as how to test for purity.

This might help:

Attachment: kolthoff1924.pdf (504kB)
This file has been downloaded 12 times

EF2000
Hazard to Others

Mood: wrooom

[*] posted on 22-4-2024 at 09:35

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  
But I am curious as how to test for purity.

This might help:

Also this: Quantitative Determination of Hydrazine
Attachment: penneman1948.pdf (550kB)
This file has been downloaded 14 times

Wroom wroom
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2024 at 07:09

Quote: Originally posted by Keras  

I'm curious as how much of your other reagents you used as well.

I used NileRed’s quantities.

I never heard of EDTA before this. Why did you opt to use it in the place of gelatin? unflavored gelatin is ubiquitous and cheap.

So I am assuming that you used 22g of urea and 500ml of 5% bleach? Yeah, you will need to recrystallize or something since the amount you got, 50g, would be impossible. Nilered got 20.25g, a 48% yield. If he got 100% he might have gotten close to 41g or so, but I highly doubt anyone could get 100% yield on a lab scale.

I remember the first few synthesis I tried, I used Magpie's quantities but I was lead to believe by a YouTuber that the hydrochloric acid was optional. It wasn't. I didn't bring the pH down enough for hydrazine sulfate to form. I don't know what the white powder I got ultimately was, but it wasn't enough to be either sodium sulfate or hydrazine sulfate.

I have EDTA on my shelf. I bought it a long time ago together with Eriochrome Black T to do potable water titrations. Since EDTA is known as a powerful chelator, I decided to use it instead of gelatine.

I will definitely try to recrystallise it when I have time, but I was surprised.

[Edited on 22-4-2024 by Keras]

I think you should. I looked up Nile Red's video on hydrazine sulfate (I found other methods more superior to his) and he used 22g of urea. I am assuming you used the same reagents as well (500ml 5% bleach, 100ml 50% sulfuric acid, etc) and his yield was 20.25g or 48%. Meaning a 100% yield would be around 41g at the absolute most. I highly doubt anyone could get that high in a lab setting.

This reminds me of the first few times I was making hydrazine sulfate. I used the Magpie quantities (a YouTuber also did it, but without the alcohol wash) and I was originally lead to think that the hydrochloric acid was optional. It wasn't. But due to that, I didn't add enough acids to even fully neutralize it. Something did come out, but it wasn't hydrazine sulfate.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-4-2024 at 11:06

So I am assuming that you used 22g of urea and 500ml of 5% bleach? Yeah, you will need to recrystallize or something since the amount you got, 50g, would be impossible. Nilered got 20.25g, a 48% yield. If he got 100% he might have gotten close to 41g or so, but I highly doubt anyone could get 100% yield on a lab scale.

I think I used 9.6% bleach instead. I don’t have 5% bleach. Maybe I scaled down the volume accordingly. Can’t remember, didn't really write anything down since it was reproducing what many other people had already done (and redone, and re-redone…)
Sir_Gawain
Hazard to Others

Mood: Yes.

[*] posted on 23-4-2024 at 12:02

Since you used the sulfuric acid neutralization method and that small volume of liquid, it’s most likely just sodium sulfate.

“Alchemy is trying to turn things yellow; chemistry is trying to avoid things turning yellow.” -Tom deP.
ManyInterests
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2024 at 14:41

Quote: Originally posted by Sir_Gawain  
Since you used the sulfuric acid neutralization method and that small volume of liquid, it’s most likely just sodium sulfate.

That is what I am thinking. I remember (I posted it here on this thread a few years ago) when I only used sulfuric acid. What came out when it was very, very cold was sodium sulfate and not hydrazine sulfate.

The one thing I would be looking for now after I finish adding the HCl and start with the sulfuric acid is what I call 'the snow globe effect'. It's when you see bits of the shiny hydrazine sulfate start to form and swirl around (if you're using magnetic stirring) even if the solution is still warm after the addition of all the acids. That stuff is hydrazine sulfate.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2024 at 22:21

That is what I am thinking. I remember (I posted it here on this thread a few years ago) when I only used sulfuric acid. What came out when it was very, very cold was sodium sulfate and not hydrazine sulfate.

I don’t really put the solution in the fridge, given the video warned about lowering the temp under 15 °C.

I’m going to dissolve my 50 g of mixture in 100 mL of water at 30 °C. Apparently this is enough to dissolve 50 g of sodium sulphate, while I'd lose only 3 g of hydrazine sulphate. What does not dissolve should therefore be pure hydrazine sulphate.
 Pages:  1  ..  23    25

Go To Top