Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Acid-Base Extraction - Non-polar solvent related question
MNK
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2008 at 22:26
Acid-Base Extraction - Non-polar solvent related question

During the Non-Polar Solvent extraction phase towards the end of any acid-base extraction...

Id like to know how long one should allow the Non-Polar solvent (i use Dichloromethane) to extract from the Acidic Water/Alkaloid Solution

During the methanol phase at the beginning of the extraction i like to wait about a week

What would be the optimum waiting period with regard to the Non-Polar phase of the extraction be?

Thank u kindly
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2008 at 23:07

Really depends on what is being extracted and what the aqueous phase looks like. There are rule of thumb values, but those are just starting points for your particular application.
Nicodem
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 20-3-2008 at 05:36

This question is too incomprehensible and unspecific for any worthwhile discussion. I'm moving this to Beginnings, just in case the original poster decides to explain the problem.
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 20-3-2008 at 18:42

It should be in Beginnings because he's asking if there's a general rule regarding extraction of veg materials (I assume) using non polar media. There isn't. There's also a thread somewhere with recent posts regarding efficacy of soxhlet extractors and critical fluid methods versus just having the stuff sit in solvent. Might read through that after a search for "extraction".

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)

Go To Top