Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hydrate stuck in the middle of mono & tetra - possible?
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 12:56
Hydrate stuck in the middle of mono & tetra - possible?

A local company has a listing of MnSO4 stating it is 28% Mn (and it is pure MnSO4). Anhydrous is 151g/mol and the 28% would come out to a molar mass of ~196.2g/mol meaning ~45g is water - which comes out to 2.5moles of water (18g/mole H2O).

I've only found the mono and tetra hydrates of the compound so IDK what to do with something that says 2.5 hydrates per mole.

They do also offer the monohydrate (at 5-6x the price) which I find a little odd, especially since the monohydrate is meant s a soil additive while the other (28% is meant as a feed additive).

The only thing that I can think might be happening is that it is a mix of mono and tetra hydrates? IDK how far off the decomp point is between the two, if they are close, I could see some of it decomposing to the monohydrate while the rest stays in the tetra hydrate form.

As always getting answers from companies proves more difficult than it should be. Called 3 hours before closing and entire office closed because of an "auction". Wow, with 20+ employees, I find it odd no one mans the phones.

Any suggestions on what might be accounting for the odd % of Mn when comparing the hydrates?
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2018 at 15:54

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  

Any suggestions on what might be accounting for the odd % of Mn when comparing the hydrates?

A mixture.

Go To Top