Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any demand for triphenylphosphine?
Melgar
Anti-Spam Agent

Mood: Estrified

[*] posted on 14-11-2018 at 22:30
Any demand for triphenylphosphine?

I see triphenylphosphine all the time in organic synthesis writeups, but always assumed it was out of reach. Now one of my suppliers seems to be trying to unload a very large amount of it, priced to sell. But they don't want to deal in small quantities. I estimate a kilogram would cost somewhere around $150. 2 kg might be $200, 3 kg for $250, etc. That's more what I'd expect to get by negotiating, having dealt with them in the past. Not an actual price list. I just figured I'd throw that out there. I really don't have any present use for the stuff.

They also seem to be carrying 3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetonitrile. Ie, this stuff:

Now, I can think of all of one thing that this stuff might be used for, but then, maybe some of you are more creative or knowledgeable than I am? I'm not really interested in it myself, but it came up in the random goodies that there seem to be sales on, so I thought I'd mention it.

The first step in the process of learning something is admitting that you don't know it already.

I'm givin' the spam shields max power at full warp, but they just dinna have the power! We're gonna have to evacuate to new forum software!
UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-11-2018 at 03:51

I wouldn't touch that phenylacetonitrile with a 20ft pole.

Triphenylphosphine is super useful though. Aside from the more well known uses like the Wittig reaction, it can react with chlorine, forming triphenylphosphine dichloride, a reagent not unlike PCl5, that can be used for making acyl chlorides.
DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 15-11-2018 at 04:12

3,4-methylenedioxyphenylacetonitrile ....... that's really not all that far off being MDMA.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-11-2018 at 12:53

Triphenylphosphine is very useful, but many batches I have seen are already partly oxidized to the oxide, so be aware that it is hard to quickly know if it is good, and the oxide is hard to remove and non-reactive in many reactions. So be prepared to either use a large excess or get poor yields if you get bad TPP. Even good material will slowly oxidize to the TPPO, so old bottles are also often suspect.

12thealchemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Rare and Earthy

[*] posted on 16-11-2018 at 09:47

I would be interested in triphenylphosphine, however I live in the UK, so I'm not sure how that would affect shipping.

Just my two pennyworth
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/channel/UC4t9tVlAk7ww1wgCVW4yUjg
Elements collected so far: 65; to collect: Ln, Rb, Sr, Ba, F, Kr, radioactives

Go To Top