Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mercaptin
Nevermore
Hazard to Others

Mood: shopping businessman

[*] posted on 9-11-2003 at 12:13
Mercaptin

I was thinking about some Ethyl and Methyl mercaptin sinth..but i couldn't find any information about that, beside that they shoul be prepared by bubbling hydrogen sulfide in Ethyl alcool or methyl alcool. Did anyone over here performed that synth or has more information to share?

Nevermore!
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-11-2003 at 15:41

I don't think you will get much of a yield that way, and H2S is nasty stuff to work with.
C2H5Cl + NaHS --> C2H5SH +NaCl
Is a better bet (and still not the nicest set of reactants
)IIRC there is a synthesis using thiourea but that's a suspect carcinogen.
Marvin
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-11-2003 at 22:13

Nevermore, stop posting questions to several forums at the same time.

Theres a lot of relavent stuff on orgsyn, try reading,
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=CV3...
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=CV4...
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/orgsyn/prepContent.asp?prep=CV2...

unionised, I think if he's trying to make mercaptans suspected carcinogens are the least of his worries. I agree that H2S+Ethanol probably isnt worth the time of day.

If I needed a method that didnt need thiourea, Id probably use a disulphide Na2S2 for example, and then reduce the resulting alkyl disulphide.

Edit,
Thiourea is a constituent of a number of silver cleaning products and is also available at some photographic supply places. Its also the primary denaturent in most sulphuric draincleaner s, though I doubt this could be usefully extracted.

Since disulphides can be made quite easily though, I think this is a better bet.

[Edited on 10-11-2003 by Marvin]
Nevermore
Hazard to Others

Mood: shopping businessman

[*] posted on 10-11-2003 at 09:48

Thanks, i was thinking about disulfide way more than thiourea..
the deal is finding a reducent that doesn't react with the product..
i was looking mainly for someone that has already attempted the reaction, and that could give me some hints about how to deal with the products and info about the reaction...

Nevermore!
Limpet Chicken
Harmless

Mood: Allotropic

[*] posted on 11-6-2004 at 05:12

Unionised, you say there won't be much of a yield from the H2S+alcohol reaction, if it isn't needed for a reaction, and one just wishes to raise the godawful stench from hell then not much is needed:D

Does the alcohol used affect the smell in any way? it would be interesting to try preparing mercaptans from more unusual alcohols such as amyl, pentyl, or pinacolyl:cool:

also, the seleno-mercaptans are supposed to be worse smelling than the basic alkyl mercaptans, has anybody tried making telluro-mercaptans? I know tellurium compounds are supposed to make one smell rather unpleasant:D

Sweet dreams are made of her
slit my wrists and dissappear
I am no-one any more
I wear my crown of thorns in view of all
Reverend Necroticus Rex
Hazard to Others

Mood: Poisonous

[*] posted on 15-6-2004 at 06:06

I tried tat reaction, the one between H2S and alcohol. I tried isopropanol, and it turned bright blue (smelled a little sulphurous, but no overpowering stench:() , could anyone explain this, I can't see any reactions that would produce a blue color from H2S and isopropyl alcohol, is there somothing I'm missing?

[Edited on 15-6-2004 by Reverend Necroticus Rex]

The sun is shining on a brand new day
Blackened corpses burn where they were slain
Self-flagellation prompts him to confess, Bless me father, for I made this mess.
atombum
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-6-2004 at 19:39

Original Post-
...also, the seleno-mercaptans are supposed to be worse smelling than the basic alkyl mercaptans, has anybody tried making telluro-mercaptans? I know tellurium compounds are supposed to make one smell rather unpleasant

Telluromercatans or more properly tellurols, are not just unstable and pyrophoric, but there has been some doubt (at least in some of the older texts) as to their actual existance. Even a fleeting existance in a jamjar synth may be impossible.
However, the dialkyl tellurides are well known; although still so oxidizable as to be pyrophoric. Still, they could be prepared by an amatuer, in fact the methods need not even be typical chemistry...one can use a tellurite salt, potassium tellurite, and in a sealed jar place mold and I believe sugar. After several days the resulatant dimethyl telluride has an odor that has garnered among the worst descriptions I have seen for a chemical odor. Surprisingly this is not an 'internet recipe', I saw this method many years ago in an organometallic chemistry text.
brisance
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-1-2005 at 22:51

I had formerly posted a topic of the synthesis of tellurides, more specifically, dibutyl telluride. However, I was originally shunned from the synthesis because of the dangers associated with tellurium and its preparations.

For an amateur chemist with the great outdoors as his only fume hood, would the risks of tellurium associated syntheses be so terribly pernicious?
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-1-2005 at 15:29

If there are no neighbours, OK, shame about the wild life
mick

Go To Top