Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Protective gear for handling Br2, Cl2.
tinker
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-11-2003 at 07:30
Protective gear for handling Br2, Cl2.

Hi,

I am very safety oriented when handling chemicals. What protective clothing such as splatter guards, gloves, goggles and particularly gas masks are recommended when handling Cl2, Br2 and other Halogen compounds? Can anyone recommend sources for such equipment? I am particularly interested in getting the very best gas mask for halogens.

Thanks for the help.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 14-11-2003 at 21:23

sorry but the best gas mask is probably to do it outside, with the wind moving away from you ;) else try a gasmask containing some kind of hydroxide, that should save you from the worst....
At last, I doubt you will ever experience toxic concentrations of Cl2 etc as it is really painful, so you are likely to get yourself out of the gas before you are going to receive a deadly dose :) trust me experience is speaking and I am still alive:)
The same holds in fact for H2S, which is even more toxic than HCN, but you are unlikely to die from it as the smell is so strong that you'd try to avoid it at high concentrations.
Dont stress too much, there are far more toxic, and much less noticable gases around than chlorine!
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2003 at 14:56

More about gas masks than you will probably ever need to know.
http://www.survivair.com/sourcebook/Survivair%20Selection%20...

BTW, a filter with alkali hydroxide in it would become a carbonate based filter rather quickly. At high concentrations H2S deadens the sense of smell so you are not safe just because you can't smell it.

I have used ordinary rubber gloves ( like those sold in the supermarket for washing up) when using bromine. They will provide protection against liquid Br2 for about as long as it takes to drop what you were doing and take the gloves off. They might last longer than that, but I wasn't going to try the experiment to find out.

[Edited on 16-11-2003 by unionised]
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 16-11-2003 at 14:59

sure. I was thinking of a one-time use, homemade, cheap halogen filter... but again the cheapest would be to do the whole hting outside :)

Edit: Come to think of it, it's probably not such a great idea anyway, as hypochlorite would be produced... and as we all know, it's not exactly pleasant either...

Indeed, H2S deadens the sense at very high conc. But before that happens, the smell becomes quite intolerable... test it and you will see what I mean ;)

[Edited on 16-11-2003 by chemoleo]
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-11-2003 at 15:33

Unfortunately it gets tested from time to time.
People working in tanks and sewers think "ugh thats revolting" and head for the exit then, before they get out, they think " thank God that's gone" and get on with their work. Then they die.:(
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 16-11-2003 at 19:26
I've exceeded that limit

I was reacting NaOH with sulfur in acetone. I smelled an odor at first, but it didn't seem very strong and soon went away, and I didn't see any bubbles coming from the mixture. Then I started to feel a little weak and shaky, and my roommate complained that I was making the whole house stink. Whoops. I flushed the stuff down the toilet, opened the windows, and went for a walk outside.

It's easier to reach the nose-deadening concentrations than I would have thought.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

[*] posted on 17-11-2003 at 05:44

hmm looks like I got a different nose. I smelled it to the point at which it was so strong I nearly vomited, so I very quickly departed the scene... and didnt even have a headache from it :)
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 20-11-2003 at 20:03

When working with halogens I use a 'North' gas mask with filter N7500 - 2, this stantes protection against Chlorine, hydrogen chloride, sulfur dioxide, formaldehyde, hydrogen fluoride, and organic vapors, also spares you from the worst of many other chemicals. Too bad it's only a half mask, got to wear goggles more often. Filters are pretty cheap for the value you get from them. About $10 a pair from my local hardware store.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org

Go To Top