Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I want prepair tri chlorosilane from silcon and hydrochloric acid In lab
Abdalrahman
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 13:54
I want prepair tri chlorosilane from silcon and hydrochloric acid In lab

I will make reaction at high tempreture as possible ,then
use distillation to get tri chlorosilane ,but dont sure if this will works
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 14:49

No.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
walruslover69
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 15:39

The reaction works, How the hell are you expecting to pull it off?
DoctorOfPhilosophy
Hazard to Others

Mood: enthralled

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 17:21

Hey guys, let's be nice to the new members. Abdalrahman, in the future, please refer to our excellent resource for inorganic chemistry: https://library.sciencemadness.org/library/books/brauer_ocr.... The key point here is the HCl has to be dry, since water would destroy your end product.

I quote from it, for your reference. Trichlorosilane is nasty stuff so please be careful, unless you want to end up like these people: http://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/e_national/85...

Quote:

Several methods are available for the preparation of the three chlorosilanes. In order to obtain SiHCl3 as the principal product, the best way is to react Si with HCl in the presence of copper.

Si + 3 HC1 = SiHCl 3 + H2

A porcelain boat is filled with finely powdered silicon, which has been purified by boiling with hydrochloric acid and dilute hydrofluoric acid. About 10% CuCl2 is mixed in with the silicon. The boat is placed in a Pyrex glass tube fitted with an adapter and a condenser, as described in the preparation of SiCl4. In this case, however, the end of the condenser should extend into the middle of the distilling flask. The apparatus is first carefully heated. Hydrogen chloride gas is produced from NaCl and H2SO4, without addition of hydrochloric acid, since it must be absolutely dry. The furnace around the tube which contains the boat is heated to 300°C and a slow stream of HC1 is introduced. The receiver is cooled with acetone-Dry Ice mixture. Finally, the crude product is distilled directly from the receiver. The first fraction is HC1. The SiHCl3 comes over at 36.5°C. With a careful fractionation of the forerun, SiH3 Cl s may also be recovered. The yield of SiHCl3 is about 50%.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 17:40

Wow! That is a lot easier than I would have guessed. I am not going anywhere near that though. I am guessing it is really nasty stuff.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 10-12-2018 at 23:59

It should be noted that HSiCl3 is produced at 300 C and its autoignition temperature is 185 C. Therefore, the reaction apparatus must be purged of oxygen and rigorously sealed in order to prevent fires.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-12-2018 at 03:29

It forms SiO2 on wet surfaces while releasing HCl gas, so it is very nasty stuff to the body as the body has allot of moist surfaces.

It can all so be made by reacting Si in flowing Cl gas under heat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU77anzCzxg

[Edited on 11-12-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]

Go To Top