Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: How many chemists does it take?.........
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

mad.gif posted on 29-11-2003 at 17:11
How many chemists does it take?.........

To make finely divided Al2O3, or just plain metallic Al?

I was reading the post about making aluminum oxide and I wanted to scream by about page 5 (seriously)

check out this link!

http://www.unitednuclear.com/ballmill.htm

this is a Ball Mill guys.

It is how substances are finely divided, including all metals, except the extraordinairily ductile!

If I wanted.....lets say aluminum oxide(just ann example) I would go to my bench grinder attatch a rasp wheel, turn into shavings a pound or two of aluminum (not alloy) in about twenty minutes and then all it to the ball mill along with a bunch of small steel ball bearings.

Of course a drum for metals would have to be fairly large(30 cm diameter at least) and DROP the ball onto the product.

So I would attatch a SINGLE fin inside the drum, making sure not to exceed a maximum of 1/3 the diameter of the drum so as to not drastically impede the flow of powdered metal.

To speed up the oxidizing I would attatch a nipple into the endcap of the drum so I could add oxy from a welding cylinder.

but remember that such a reaction is exothermic so only use plastic that wouldn't soften under heat

also you would have to replace some of the oxy once and a while as it reacted.

-----------

Or if I wanted to powder the aluminum without oxidation I would add nitrogen/helium into the cylinder.

--------

remeber BALL MILL = mortar +pestleX100

http://www.unitednuclear.com/ballmill.htm

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
unionised
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-11-2003 at 05:34

Personally I just folded up some foil then filed it.
Can't think what I would really want podered Al2O3 for.

How many chemists does it take to change a light bulb?
Just one, but as it is an equilibrium system they will only do it under pressure.:)

Go To Top