Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: deflagurating compositions
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 1-12-2003 at 16:06
deflagurating compositions

I wanted to know if anyone new of any compositions for a low explosive similar to black powder that can be made from Ammonium Nitrate.
I have read of AN/charcoal or AN/epoxy resin as being used for high powered rocket fuel compositions.

When making low explosives like black powder I always fail. I try like hell to use pure ingrediants. I activate my AN so that it is totaly pure and no wax remains in it. I have always just grinded or diapered the ingrediants together like flash powder.
Nothings works for me(unless I'm making RDX or Fox-7) doesnt it figure that "hard" synthesises are easy and "easy" ones are hard

AN is used in many homemade rocket fuel compositions like the one used to propel the porta-potty several hundred feet into the air with a 50 pound rocket engine at the last hill-billy-rocket festival in mississippi or where ever it was.
Any tried and true formulas would be great. thanks!

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 1-12-2003 at 16:20

The rocketry competition you speak of was held in Kansas, and IIRC, the Port-a-Potty was shot with a black powder engine, of the high sizes such as K. Experimental rockets mostly consisted of Ammonium Perchlorate, also, but there may have been some AN ones that I missed.

The charcoal/AN you mentioned is called Ammonupulver or something similar. I believe it was used as a rifle propellant in France back many years ago. The burn rate might not be the quickest, as it is used as a propellant, not a quick burning burst powder.

I am sure there is some information somewhere of converting AN to a more usable nitrate salt. Take up a search for it.

Great ideas often receive violent opposition from mediocre minds.
<b> <a href=\"http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xEE41A2B1\">PGP Key</a> </b> 0C0A 7486 B97F 92EE AE50 A98C A4F3 087E 8CE9 A782
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 1-12-2003 at 20:44

congrats on FOX-7:cool: you are the first person who ive heard of making it.
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-12-2003 at 01:27

Like mentioned before, discussions like these are being discouraged. Read http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1169

Closed.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.

Go To Top