Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: aluminium-soaps
fritz
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-12-2003 at 04:35
aluminium-soaps

Has anyone ever tried to synthesize aluminium-salts of fatty acids (especially those of higher molecular-weigh)??

My own experiments failed (both reacting Al-sulfate with common `soap` and reacting Al-sulfate with homemade soap made of stearine (candles) and NaOH)
I got both times a crumbly yellow-brownish mass wich seems to consist most of the original fatty acids. And it had a strange smell which was similar to that of the curd-soap I used. I wonder if the pH of the Al-salt solution was too low (and so causing the anions of the fatty acids being protonated and separating out of the mixture) but trying to raise it (with small amounts of lye) resulted in precipiating Al(OH)3.

I know that it is possible to produce Al-soaps this way beacause I read some informations about it some times ago. unfortunatelly only more general informations without many details.
Al Koholic
Hazard to Self

Mood: Seeking ligand

[*] posted on 8-12-2003 at 06:23

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to make an aluminum soap? I would guess that it would be a liquid soap because the long chains are going to be harder to line up attached to a trivalent aluminum cation. Also, would they have the cleaning power of standard soaps.

What I would try is to saponify your esters with calcium hydroxide and then do a metathesis reaction with the aluminum sulfate precipitating CaSO4...
fritz
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-12-2003 at 07:11

Oh, I just waste my expensive chemicals by producing senseless mixtures for no special reason.;)

seriously: Al-soaps are used e.g. as thickening agents. For my desired purpose I could have the same effect with polystyrene, `normal´ soap or other stuff.
As a little indication: above all I´m interested in Al-soaps with the general formula : Al(OH)R1R2 whereas R1 & R2 are residues of oleic, NAphthenic and PALMitic acid. I read something about these compounds and thought by myself that it should be possible to synthesize these substances or related materials and study their properties.

Al koholic thank you for your efforts but I´m very sorry to say that your informations are not very useful for me. Al-soaps are solids and reacting Ca-soaps with Al-sulfate to obtain Al-soaps by precipiating the sulfate with the Ca as a matter of principle is a very good idea but unfortunatelly Ca-soaps are insoluble in water. So I doubt if this reaction may be possible.

Go To Top