Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: real lab equipment pennies on the dollar!!
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 19-12-2003 at 20:57
real lab equipment pennies on the dollar!!

Oh thank you mother India oh how I long for your foetid embrace!

http://www.ravisi.com/
not everything but prices listed!

http://www.ascoindia.com/
No published prices but they have EVERYTHING and will haggle and no minimum orders or hassle....these people really DO aim to please

a buddy from the crowded curry hole, mentioned to me that it is ALL very cheap there, also they ask no questions ever about practically anything and will bend over backwards to help and the stuff is good and that many Indians order practically everything from over there, he also mentioned that sometimes the places with the best websites often have the most "expensive" prices if you could call dirt-cheap expensive so its good to try setting up a relationship by e-mailing a smaller manufacturer directly.

try one of these guys...
http://www.maharashtradirectory.com/SearchResult.asp?Product...

don't stress the official sounding names, these guys really do aim to please even the smallest volume buyers, apparently the manufacturing market is very, very competitive over there. They seem ready and willing to bubble wrap and send a single toothpick if I ask for it!:D
and because of colonialism almost all of them speak english(with a british accent)

!!!:D:D:D I LOVE INDIA :D:D:D!!!

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 20-12-2003 at 06:07

I always thought the british imperialism was complete useless - but now.....
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 15-1-2004 at 18:33

I was looking through the first place you listed and was trying to find something 24/40 but under the Cone/Socket section I couldn't find anything of that size. Do they use a different sizing system over there, it looks about the same but no 24/40, I thought that was bascially the normal size for things.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

shocked.gif posted on 15-1-2004 at 20:21
International shipping

I have never purchased anything overseas before but I remember a site that I was interested in in the UK and I remember that the shipping cost to the US where astronomical. I could only guess for India:o Although those prices are quite reasonable and maybe I would consider opening a discount labware store for poor University students :D IF I bought enough quantity I could offset shipping. Well, when I have $10,000, I will consider it!

Fellow molecular manipulator
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 16-1-2004 at 00:24

What was this UK company?

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
AngelEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: Better than it used to be.

[*] posted on 16-1-2004 at 04:47

I know it's OT but...

British Colonialism useless?
Well, it might not have been every countrys first choice to become part of the empire, but for the most part it helped them. India is a prime example - not only do they have the legacy of the English language, which is useful, but also a better infrastructure and democratic process than many other Asian countries.
The British Raj in India, and most other places, was much like the Roman Empire: Neither wanted nor liked (because we were oppressive bastards in most countries), but brought civilisation and protection where previously there was very little.

And now that legacy is helping you buy chems. Cool...
chloric1
International Hazard

Mood: Stoichiometrically Balanced

[*] posted on 16-1-2004 at 05:23
UK company

I canoot recall name of company because this took place in 1998 but I know they had rare elements and this was before Chem pure metals was online

Fellow molecular manipulator
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 16-1-2004 at 13:37
UPDATE

I'm sorry I didn't update this thread, I placed e-requests to the places that didn't post prices on the net and thier prices were about a third (on average) of the Indian companies posted prices (that were about a third of the equivelent north american prices.

The real benefit lied in custom articles, I found that the custom glassware and other equipment they sold would be ridiculously cheap compared to the states.

Shipping and duties was the only problem. I found one shipper that offered a flat rate on shipments from india but it was about $550 from india for 8 boxes about the size of a laundry basket.

Its really not that much of a deal though, because a whole 20 foot shipping container only cost about two grand to ship from there. That's where the money would be!!!

You would really have to choose carefully to make that choice worthwhile! for instance a whole bunch of seperatory funnels or ketene generators or stuff like that and you'd make a fortune on ebay.

However, if you ordere a bunch of erlenmeyer and florence flasks you'd probably end up paying almost 80% of market value.

The one thing I noticed was how some equipment was just better, like thier heating mantles all have built in temperature controllers, which is way better than glas-col's scam where they make you buy both seperately.

I think what I might do is look at getting a small business loan and ordering a whole crapload of glass and reselling it on ebay or labx!
of course I think that might not be a very original idea, but I haven't seeb a lotta people selling on ebay canada.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.

Go To Top