Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Co2 as an inert atmosphere
itsafineday
Hazard to Self

Mood: Feelin groovy

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 06:50
Co2 as an inert atmosphere

Hello. Thank you for such a great site .

Is CO2 gas readily interchangeable with nitrogen gas for inert atmosphere for reactions that are oxygen and water sensitive?
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 07:12

Quote: Originally posted by itsafineday  
Hello. Thank you for such a great site .

Is CO2 gas readily interchangeable with nitrogen gas for inert atmosphere for reactions that are oxygen and water sensitive?
This looks like a typical spam and a blatant spoonfeed.

DavidJR
National Hazard

Mood: Tired

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 07:14

In short, no. CO2 is much more reactive than nitrogen. It may be usable for some things, but it will react with bases which rules out its use with organometallic reagents.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 07:31

oops lol

[Edited on 7-1-2019 by mayko]

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
itsafineday
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 09:48

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  
In short, no. CO2 is much more reactive than nitrogen. It may be usable for some things, but it will react with bases which rules out its use with organometallic reagents.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Why so defensive russo?
morganbw
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 10:37

Quote: Originally posted by DavidJR  

Thank you very much for your reply.

Why so defensive russo?

Your question was good. CO2 is perfect for some things but serves as a reactant to others.

If you want to be fairly certain that your inert gas is, indeed inert, use Argon.
I am not sure but there may actually be an exception to this.

The spoonfeed statement is usually reserved for people asking cookbook information in making drugs. Be assured that cookbook questions are frowned on.

Don't worry some of us (myself included) post some hurtful stuff in our replies and do not realize what we have done until questioned about it.
itsafineday
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-1-2019 at 16:29

I appreciate the answer and clarification , Morganbw.

I'm learning the science and techniques but also have to learn which tools to get and what techniques are current and efficient. I also want to have fun and keep safe. It's a lot to cover without sounding like a noob.

I've been using a textbook (Organic Chemistry by Paula Bruice), kubricks, as well as Youtube(kahn, crashcourse, nurdrage, doug's lab, nile red ) and the awesome library here to learn but want to do more lab work to keep myself interested.

I don't have a specific reaction in mind for the inert environment at this time but I'd like to assemble a diverse set of tools . I have a tank of co2 that I use for carbonating water to drink. I just wondered what use it might find in the lab.

Herr Haber
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 04:52

It's a lot to cover without sounding like a noob.

Oww, dont take it like that. With a field so vast and diverse you'll always sound like a noob to someone.
You just cant know everything and the sooner you can admit to yourself that you dont have to understand everything the easier the learning.
I hope that makes sense.

I don't have a specific reaction in mind for the inert environment at this time but I'd like to assemble a diverse set of tools . I have a tank of co2 that I use for carbonating water to drink. I just wondered what use it might find in the lab.

See, not so noob anymore and that was fast.
Do you realize that you probably know ten times more about dissolving gasses than average Joe?

And now that you understand how carbonated water is made, why dont you try carbonating something the old way? Something... more interesting...
I know what I would do if I had a CO2 bottle, honey, water, a big plastic tub that seals and a dark cold place. The colder the better of course.

How does that sound for an experiment ?
The best part of it seems to be sharing the results with friends since we've been doing that for 40000 years ;)
Abromination
Hazard to Others

Mood: 1,4 tar

[*] posted on 8-1-2019 at 16:08

I'm not sure if it is due to the massive influx of spam or the occasional mislead drug cook, but I feel that a lot of the site's usuals, including myself unfortunately, have been maybe slightly agressive towards new members. We don't want to discourge people from legitimatly using this forum, do we?

[Edited on 1-9-19 by Abromination]

List of materials made by ScienceMadness.org users:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nmJ8uq-h4IkXPxD5svnT...
--------------------------------
Elements Collected: H, Li, B, C, N, O, Mg, Al, Si, P, S, Fe, Ni, Cu, Zn, Ag, I, Au, Pb, Bi, Am
Last Acquired: B
Next: Na
--------------

Go To Top