Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Ammonium Nitrate and detonation
Iv4
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2003 at 09:37

I dont honestly understand how APAN,APPN(AP,potasium Nitrate)work.Anyways An ANFO mixture of gasoline throrglhy soaked(left for 3 days and blneded till flufly)is supsedly cap sensntive.
Madog
Hazard to Others

Mood: lysergic

[*] posted on 24-7-2003 at 11:47

no way man.

try acetone peroxide detonator in a small charge of ANAP, which is placed in the ANFO

Most people outgrow their pyro tendencies, we are the ones who\'s tendencies outgrew us.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
meader
Harmless

Mood: Jonny 5

[*] posted on 29-8-2003 at 16:23
Quick question

Quick question...

What is the result of replacing Acetone with Desil when making ANFO?

People has said in this thread its suicidal
to do so.

Does it increase the sensitivity that much? I "dreamed" ;) that I had a mixture of ANFO (with desil) and added MG to the mix instead of AL.

And im currentley thinking about wether it would be posible to set it off with large ammounts of pressed AP, which im confident will work if the AP is set off within the anfo in a sealed metal construction.

Kind Regards, Tom:D:D
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 29-8-2003 at 16:42

I am not sure what exactly you mean. ANFO is most commonly AN with diesel fuel. you can set it off with some high explosive like PETN etc or a large amount of primary explosive (as I found out myself, i.e. HMTD, or probably also AP) (12g plus). Al or Mg Powder will increase sensitity, and make a very powerful mix. be careful :)

[Edited on 30-8-2003 by chemoleo]
meader
Harmless

Mood: Jonny 5

[*] posted on 31-8-2003 at 07:16
Sorry

Yea I made a mistake on the last post. what I meant was to add Acetone Instead of Desil as the "FO"?

Peace is our profession, killing is just a hobby.
Iv4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-9-2003 at 08:35

Not to insult you ior so but I seriosly doubt 12grams of AP or HMTD will set of ANFO.50 grams work very though(well APAN).

I found out how APAN works.Nothing chemical or particulerly intersting its just conctating the shock.Since every particle of AN is very small and surrounded by AP which goes of prety much at once the shock per particle is enough to set of the AN.

In theory I supose it might work with ANFO if it werent for he fact that AP wont go of when its wet.
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

[*] posted on 6-10-2003 at 07:20

"AMMONIUM NITRATE (NH4NO3)

SYNONYMS
None known.
CHARACTERISTICS
Colourless to white hygroscopic crystals or granules.
INCOMPATIBILITY
Ammonium nitrate reacts violently or explodes with metal powders, chlorides, organic matter, phosphorus, sodium hypochlorite and sodium perchlorate. Also reacts violently with combustible substances and spontaneously combusts with reducing agents.
Heating produces toxic fumes of nitrogen compounds.
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
This substance is hygroscopic and a strong oxidising agent. Whilst it is not a combustible substance it nevertheless enhances combustion of other substances. It is an eye, skin and respiratory tract irritant, an allergen and toxic. It may be absorbed into the body by inhalation and ingestion. After ingestion blood disorders may occur. Serious cases may result in coma and death. Skin and eye contact produces localised redness and pain. Inhalation can produce a sore throat, coughing and shortness of breath. Ingestion may cause dizziness, abdominal spasm, nausea, vomiting, faintness, weakness, convulsions, bluish skin and collapse.
HANDLING and GENERAL PRECAUTIONS
Avoid skin and eye contact.
Avoid inhalation or ingestion of the powder.
Keep away from heat.
Keep away from moisture.
Keep away from combustible substances.
Keep away from reducing agents.
Keep away from metal powders.
Keep away from strong bases.
Wash hands thoroughly after handling.
Wear protective clothing to avoid skin or eye contact, inhalation or ingestion. A long sleeved laboratory coat or gown, rubber gloves, safety goggles and a face mask as a minimum standard.
TREATMENTS
Skin ­ remove contaminated clothing and immediately wash the affected area with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If pain persists seek medical attention. Wash contaminated clothing before re­use.
Eyes ­ immediately wash the affected eye with large amounts of water until all evidence of the chemical has been removed (approximately 15 minutes). If irritation or pain persist seek medical attention.
Inhalation ­ remove from the area of exposure to fresh air. If breathing has ceased apply artificial respiration. Keep warm and allow to rest. Seek medical attention.
Ingestion ­ wash out the mouth thoroughly with water and give two to four glasses of water to drink. Induce vomiting by touching a finger to the back of the throat. Seek immediate medical attention.
STORAGE
Keep the container lid tightly closed and store in a cool, dry atmosphere away from moisture, heat and incompatible substances.
DISPOSAL
Wear rubber gloves, safety glasses and laboratory coat.
SPILLS: Solid - small spill. Collect in a beaker, dissolve in a large amount of water. Add soda ash, mix and neutralise with 6M hydrochloric acid and discharge to sewer with large excess of water.
Solution - cover with soda ash, mix and scoop into a beaker of water. Neutralise with 6M hydrochloric acid and discharge to sewer with a large excess of water.
PACKAGE LOTS: Add slowly to a large container of water. Stir in a slight excess of soda ash. Let stand for 24 hours. Decant or siphon into another container and neutralise with 6M hydrochloric acid. Dispose of by waste disposal contractor. The sludge may be added to land fill.
ENVIRONMENT
This substance is a pollutant and should be contained."
So, AN is more scary :D than we think :D.
Iv4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-10-2003 at 02:50

Most flamable things do tend to form a powerfull(in a comparetive sort of way)LE.Thats probably what theyre refering to.
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

[*] posted on 13-10-2003 at 04:46

Well, by them, it's very easy to get AN to detonate (huh, chlorides! - mix AN with salt to detonate!). If that'd be true, this thread would not exist.
Iv4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-10-2003 at 04:59

I supose they consider defalration to be detonation.

How much energy does it take to set of AN?I read it was abou 200 megajoules but the reference was just something in a yahoo group.
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 16-10-2003 at 18:16
AN/Acetone

I dreamt once that I had 4lbs of AN/Acetone at a ratio of 95/5 in an air-tight bucket in my shed. In the dream, I was all out of AP and had no peroxide to make more.
Has any of you ever used acetone to sensitize AN?
If so, how big of a det./booster did you use?

I normaly dream of using 100g of ANAP in a ratio of 1:1. I detonated this size booster off in a field near a friends house with no main charge (just the booster). WOW!

*snipped*

Remember, all in a dream ;)

Edit by Polverone: Around here we don't make pipe bombs or even dream about them. Even sensitized ammonium nitrate isn't all that sensitive. You need a real primary.

[Edited on 10-17-2003 by Polverone]
Iv4
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-11-2003 at 05:43

Was that 1:1 APAN by weight or volume?

I've experimented with it somewhat before I prety much went downhill and its power/sensetivety are inversly proptional and power is almost directly proportional to the amount of AN.

1:1(by weight)is almost the same as normal AP but 1:4 needs a gram or two of AP to set it of.

11 page reference of nearly every possible problem

[Edited on 2-11-2003 by Iv4]
IgnorantlyIntelligent
Moderately Insane

Mood: Unhuman

[*] posted on 6-11-2003 at 14:25

It was by volume, i weighed the charge after AN and AP was diapered together.
This is only a booster for my main charges. I posted that post awhile ago and it is not important now because I have peroxide again and have AP.
If anyone would like to answer my question I thank you though.
BTW I just dreamt about blowing up a garbage can in my alley with a stick of ammonium dynamite. HINT: fill up the garbage cantainer with water first ;)

\"People fear from ignorance what they do not have the intelligence to understand\"

\"Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation.\"

\"A fool would rather not question, a soldier is taught not to question, a slave dares not question.\"

\"To fight for nothing is to love nothing, to die for something is to have lived for something.\"
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

mad.gif posted on 6-11-2003 at 18:11
listen up

Ammonium nitrate sensitized with acetone peroxides has been discussed to death elsewhere. I don't want to hear about things you blew up unless you can make a really entertaining story of it and not sound like a reckless fool in the telling.

I don't know how many times I will have to say this, but I'm already getting tired of saying it: sciencemadness is a forum about amateur experimental chemistry. It's not another pyro board, though chemically inclined pyros are welcome.

I don't want to have to hit people over the head with this point, but it looks like subtle hints don't always work and people are either not reading or disregarding the FAQ. The next bozo who posts about explosives or explosions without including some chemistry content gets his posting abilities revoked for a week.

If in the future people are interested in discussing more theoretical or chemical aspects of ammonium nitrate based explosives, they'll start a new thread, since this one is closed now.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top