Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: User Ratings
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 13:26
User Ratings

IMHO, the user ratings are badly set. At present, new users climb rapidly to three stars, making the one and two star ratings fairly irrelevant. At the other end of the scale, I don't think anyone has made it to five stars (and most of those who are close are moderators anyway).

Perhaps the following scale would be better:

= 1 posts

= 50 posts

= 100 posts

= 250 posts

= 500 posts

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 13:46

Maybe changing the title too would be a great idea, for the number of post i think that it's okay, maybe lowering the 5 stars rating a bit

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 15:43
Gold Stars!

Everybody wants their little gold stars.;)

Even me! Look how I am posting a pointless response to a rather nongermane post (to get a higher rating and subsequently more stars)

Just call me Mr. Postwhore.:D

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

thumbup.gif posted on 6-2-2004 at 16:24
even better:

- I get 7 (seven) stars in different colors.
- Everybody who has more posts than I - and is no moderator - gets temporaly banned for postwhoring.
- Everybody who has less posts than I gets 165 (onehundredansixtyfive) stars - these stars are TRANSPARENT.
- Hermes gets the title he demands so urgently: "Postwhore" . :D
(hmmm, this sounds a little rough in my ears, perhaps "Threadhooker" would be better? :o )

Is this important?
Obviously it is.

Incantation:
Oh great Polverone Master of thy board hear my entreaty, you dont have a heart of stone I know thus (or hope it at least). Oh great Polverone dont let the vultures eat our guts and.....

....and give "he is a fish" a nice title.

Pleaze.
and dont forget Hermes..... ;)

Irgendwas is ja immer
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 17:33

Yeah more personalized title would be fun :P

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 18:08
bread and circuses for all!

Unfortunately, Organikum has already expended his "special privileges" for the next 4 months at least. So no 7 colored stars for him.

Since this forum is, fundamentally*, about taking relatively harmless items and making them more dangerous, the new user ratings reflect this. They have been updated to Fish's proposed proposed progression of star-rankings.

Stars really don't mean anything, of course. I'm still waiting for the XMB extension that evaluates posts based on humor, elegance, and novelty/correctness of information. I understand that it may take a while for this extension to become available.

Oh, and please suggest titles for I am a fish in this thread. Normally I come up with titles spontaneously but in this case I am being asked to grant a title before my natural titling-instincts kicked in.

*I mean apart from learning about chemistry and complaining about GW Bush.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 18:57

Well he has been partial to the title "King of the Mushroom People" but maybe he should start out lower and have to work his way to king, start at servent, but he would be 3/5 of the way to king so maybe "Page to the Mushroom King" or "Assistant to the Mushroom King"

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=1084

Honestly, I couldn't see anyone being much happier with their titles, they reflect the responsibility chemists face as they go further into their art.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 19:02
"Let me not seem to have lived in vain."

I'd say we dub him "son of Brahe" to chronicle the sometimes strange and conflicted nature his posts reveal.

Many of us know Tycho Brahe as an eminent Danish Philosopher but few know the full story of his life.

Otte Brahe, Tycho's father, was from the Danish nobility and was an important man among the Danish King's closest group of supporters. Beate Bille, Tycho's mother, also came from an important family which had produced leading churchmen and politicians. Tycho was one of twin sons, but his twin died shortly after birth. He often wondered if nature spared the better twin.

He was stolen by his Uncle Jorge when he was two, and seems to have been fairly uninportant in the family schema, as it did not appear to cause any family disputes nor did his parents try to take him back.

He travelled much abroad at his uncle (the "borrower"'s) insistence, in between his studies living in various damp norse castles reading his books in dark and lonely corners.

Learning at the universities of Liebzig,Wittenberg and then that in Rostock. While in Rostock he was involved in an argument with another Danish student and in the resulting duel Tycho had part of his nose cut off. A consequence of this was that Tycho developed an interest in medicine and alchemy.

After his return home in April 1567 he had an artificial nose made from silver and gold. He was, however, disfigured for life and his portraits show the disfigurement which was almost certainly worse than what the artists portrayed.

While stumbling out of his alchemists lair to escape the fumes, on 11 November 1572, he emerged into the dark of the early evening, after a long stint of alchemical experimentation, and his first glance at the sky showed him an extra star in the constellation of Cassiopeia, almost directly overhead. He instantly summoned his chemical assistant to confirm that the star really was there. He was not the first to see the new star (a supernova) but his observations of it (published in 1574) did much to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the star really belonged to the firmament and was not merely a local phenomenon in the sublunary world (as comets were generally believed to be). The star is now usually known as 'Tycho's supernova'.

His contributions in mathamatics and astronomy became legendary only after his lifetime and from those came the words he is famous for:

Simplicibus itaque verbis gaudet Mathematica Veritas, cum etiam per se simplex sit Veritatis oratio.

So Mathematical Truth prefers simple words since the language of Truth is itself simple.

But I will always remember him for something else, You see the little boy his parents never really paid attention to was very polite. So polite that he died from it.

In that day and age it was considered mildly rude to excuse yourself from the table before the meal was done. So, althought he forgot to releive himself before the beginning of a feast he refused himself the luxury of leaving the table to do so after drinking a number of toasts of wine, ale and brandy.

The first irony.....His bladder burst and he died.

the second irony......The feast was to celebrate the completion of his book detailing his life's work.Tycho's astronomical observations recorded over 38 years "The Rudolphine Tables" Named not after him but after the sponsor who paid him a pittance to write them.

and the final irony it the fact that the toasts were being made to his good fortune and to wish him a long and healthy life.

By the time he returned home he could not urinate any more. Finally, with the most excruciating pain, he barely passed some urine, but yet it was blocked. Uninterrupted insomnia followed; intestinal fever; and little by little delirium. ... During his last night, through the delirium in which everything was very pleasant, like a composer creating a song, Brahe these words over and over again: "Let me not seem to have lived in vain."

So, perhaps the I-am-a-fish should henceforth be known as "abnepos ab afectos relictus Brahe"

or

Great-great-great-grandson who has been bequeathed the spirit of goodwill belonging to the household of Brahe"

**begging your indulgence, I am not very good at translating latin to english. In latin the phrase is less cumbersome**

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 19:05

what about "CIA informator", in reference to his website being visited by CIA ip

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 19:05
Or.....

maybe just something relating to mushroom people.

I'm sure he is a real fun guy!

get it.......fun...guy.......(silence)

Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 6-2-2004 at 21:28

Without trying to appear that I am ass kissing (re: vulture) I rate Mr Fish very highly, for 2 reasons, i.e.:

1. His most noble service in creating and maintaing the "Readily Available Chemicals" list, and

2. His outstanding knowledge of what I consider the most difficult subject in chemistry: quantum theory.

My suggested title is: "Enchanter"
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 7-2-2004 at 10:19

How about :

= Harmless

= Harmful

= Toxic

= Extremely Toxic

= Super Toxic

or:

= Patriotic Citizen

= Unpatriotic Citizen

= Subversive

= Dangerous Subversive

= Terrorist

or:

= Minnow

= Salmon

= Pike

= Barracuda

= Great White Shark

or:

= Scientist

= Grumpy Scientist

= Heartless Scientist

= Malevolent Scientist

= Evil Scientist

or:

= Smoldering

= Glowing

= Burning

= Deflagrating

= Detonating

As for personal titles, I don't see what's wrong with "King of the Mushroom People".

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 7-2-2004 at 10:51

Quote:
Originally posted by I am a fish
= Patriotic Citizen

= Unpatriotic Citizen

= Subversive

= Dangerous Subversive

= Terrorist
or:

= Smoldering

= Glowing

= Burning

= Deflagrating

= Detonating

Lol :D
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 7-2-2004 at 20:21

You know, after reading through the ethly perchlorate thread just now, I had to laugh at the post were Blaster tasted ethyl perchlorate, simply because his user rank now says harmless. It seems like a mis-classification for him, like you would see some some giant lion type creature radiating evil, look in the guide book and see "harmless" under the similar picture, walk up to it and promptly get ripped to shreads.:D

Also, I noticed that I am a fish is finally king of the mushroom people, rock on brother fish and bring glory to your new title!

[Edited on 2/8/2004 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Blind Angel
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2004 at 20:46

isn't mushroom people smurf?
if then, their king is Papa Smurf no?
So by deduction i suppose that I Am a Fish a little 3inch tall blue guy with a little tail a long white beard and he's wearing a red lycra short with a red alchemist hat

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_

Go To Top