Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HCL in medicine
mistermo
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-4-2019 at 02:18
HCL in medicine

hello everybody.
i have a small curiosity about medicine.
please enlighten me and forgive me for the silly queation.

my understanding is the meds that using HCL ie. Abc HCL
is given the HCL to fight the HCL in our stomach in order to let the Abc slips through to the system.

if that is the case, what happens with the meds arent acompanied with HCL.

thank you.

-mo-
UC235
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-4-2019 at 04:04

The medications are frequently amines and being large organic molecules are poorly soluble in water. Formulation as salts of HCl greatly improves solubility and absorption. Other salts are also used but hydrochlorides are cheap
mistermo
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-4-2019 at 05:25

thank you for the reply.

so the HCL are acompanied for ease of absorbtion to the body.

what kind of measures it needs for a substance for needing support in absorbtion.

i.e. why does A need HCL to be perfectly absorbed, and why does B doesnt..

is it the chemical structure or something else.

thank you
-mo-
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-4-2019 at 06:13

Yep it's the chemical structure,and the p.h. of the compound. Alkaloids in there freebase form are often but not always too caustic (high p.h.) to be safely used without being converted by hydrochloric acid into there hydrochloride
form (neutral p.h.).amines and alkaloids are the only family of chemicals that form hydrochlorides.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 21-4-2019 at 11:44

What hasn't been mentioned to this point is stability and control. Free alkaloids are prone to oxidation / discoloration. If they were free they would be prone to taking up carbon dioxide and spalling. Making them the HCl salt makes the output of mixing and tablet press machines more consistent. I don't agree that they would be too caustic to take in their naked phase since they usually only represent a fraction of the tablet and your stomach is full of HCl.

Edit: The more interesting thing is what counter-ion they do decide on and why. The HCl salts are more plentiful but if you looks you'll see HBr salts, sulfate salts, acetates. Each was chosen for a specific reason (morphology, stability, absorption, etc.) but to us outside the process it's usually not apparent.

[Edited on 4/21/2019 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
nimgoldman
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2019 at 14:33

Another reason for using specific salt form can be water absorption. One such example is Adderall.

Note the Adderall contains 4 different salts of the same substance (amphetamine). None of the salts is a hydrochloride because amphetamine hydrochloride is highly hygroscopic and unsuitable for a tablet form (I believe - but I am not a pharmacologist, there might be other reasons too).

If the salt form has hydrates, it might be more difficult to isolate a specific hydrated form (monohydrate, dihydrate etc.) or make anhydrous form, enabling precise weighing. Presence of water will of course skew the measurements and need to be taken into account.

Another reason for choosing different salt forms is cost of production and rate of absorption in the body. One good example is magnesium. Some salts of magnesium, such as glycinate or gluconate have better bioavailability in the body than, say, citrate. However, magnesium citrate and oxide are more common than glycinate, because these forms are cheaper to make.
WangleSpong5000
Hazard to Others

Mood: Curious

[*] posted on 1-5-2019 at 07:24

Used to create the acid salt of (in this case medical) amine's of low molecular weight (a phenethylamine for example) on order to make it more useful as a medicine. The freebase versions of these substances are usually volatile and are insoluble in polar solvents as opposed to the acid salt which is an ionic substance of low volatility and soluble in polar solvents... like our bloodstrem

Hyperbole be thy name

Go To Top