Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Why is selenic acid more oxidising than sulphuric?
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 10:54
Why is selenic acid more oxidising than sulphuric?

Why is selenic acid more oxidising than sulphuric?
(I did utfse)

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 13:14

I do not know an explanation, but there is a trend in multiple columns of the periodic table.

If we look at P, S, Cl, then all of these can be brought into maximum oxidation states +5, +6, +7 relatively easily and the ions at these oxidation states are quite inert in aqueous solution, even when the acids are present in aqueous solution at e.g. 60% they are nearly non-oxidizing.

If we look at As, Se, Br at oxidation states +5, +6 and +7, then all of them are strong oxidizers. E.g. As2O5 oxidizes HCl to Cl2, aqueous H2SeO4 at higher concentrations can dissolve gold and HBrO4 is not even stable at higher concentrations. It also is much more difficult to bring these elements to high oxidation states. Bromine only was obtained in oxidation state +7 fairly recently in the 1960's.

If we go down one more row, to Sb, Te, I, then we see that it is much easier again to go to the maximum oxidation state. Sb2O5 only is weakly oxidizing (I know from experience, I have this chemical), H6TeO6 is not an oxidizing acid, H5IO6 is oxidizing, but quite stable, while HBrO4 is not stable, unless present in low concentrations.

There is an anomaly in the row of As, Se, Br. I have read about quantummechanical explanations, but explaining it in simple language apparently is not that easy. One needs to invoke fairly advanced concepts to explain this anomaly.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 14:06

It's a combination of the d-block contraction and the fact that larger atoms form weaker covalent bonds. Both of those effects destabilize Se(VI).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-block_contraction

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 16:07

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
If we look at As, Se, Br at oxidation states +5, +6 and +7, then all of them are strong oxidizers. E.g. As2O5 oxidizes HCl to Cl2, aqueous H2SeO4 at higher concentrations can dissolve gold and HBrO4 is not even stable at higher concentrations. It also is much more difficult to bring these elements to high oxidation states. Bromine only was obtained in oxidation state +7 fairly recently in the 1960's.
If As(V) is so oxidising why can arsenite reduce iodoform to DIM?

Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 8-5-2019 at 19:30

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
H6TeO6 is not an oxidizing acid

H6TeO6 have oxidizing properities.

There is one more way how to we find out if some compound have oxidation or reduction properties. Let see standard electrode potentials.

For acidic environment:

H2SO4 + 2H+ + 2e- <--> H2SO3 + H2O E° = -0,93 V

H2SeO4 + 2H+ + 2e- <--> H2SeO3 + H2O E° = 1,151 V

H6TeO6 + 2H+ + 2e- <--> H2TeO3 + 3H2O E° = 1,02 V

For basic environment:

(SO4)2- + H2O + 2e- <--> (SO3)2- + 2OH- E° = -0,93 V

(SeO4)2- + H2O + 2e- <--> (SeO3)2- + 2OH- E° = 0,05 V

For (TeO6)6- I didn't found data.

In acidic environment we see that sulfates are terrible oxidizers (but sulfites are very good reductors), but selenates and tellurates are very good oxidizers (selenates are the strongest from this three).

In basic environment we see that sulfates are terrible oxidizers again and selenates aren't really good oxidizers.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 9-5-2019 at 02:07

My experience with H6TeO6 tells otherwise. Having a high redox potential is not always a guarantee for good oxidizer properties. Sometimes strong oxidizers on paper are very sluggish in practice. There must be a mechanistic pathway which makes them reactive and fast.

@Fusso: I don't know the answer to your question. It may have to do with coordination of certain atoms to the ion, making it easier to react. As2O5, when added to HBr forms bromine. On the other hand, As2O3 indeed can be used as reductor in some cases. Oxidizers can sometimes surprise you. H2O2 is a strong oxidizer, but it also can act as a decent reductor in some very specific cases. It can e.g. oxidize ferrocyanide to ferricyanide, but at different pH it can be used to reduce ferricyanide to ferrocyanide.

All in all, my conclusion, based on observations, is that redox-reactions are more complex and more unpredicatable than one would expect, solely based on redox potentials. Redox potentials are a nice tool, but the environment in which they are valid is limited. Having some other seemingly unrelated compounds around can drastically change the redox properties of a compound.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
woelen
Super Administrator
Thread Split
9-5-2019 at 23:41

Go To Top