Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Closed-System Distillation
Yttrium2
Perpetual Question Machine

shocked.gif posted on 9-9-2019 at 16:48
Closed-System Distillation

I give credit to Flinn Scientific for the general run down here.

Here is my hand boiler, as you can see I have been heating one side with my hand, and cooling the other side in cool salted ice water.

Alcohol is inside along with an alcohol soluble dye.

My questions are as follows
---

(Eek! I'm having trouble thinking of them right now, I will get back to this later.)

Any questions?

My question for now is how does the alcohol evaporate below it's boiling point? Is it getting wicked into the air? I know I've asked this ad nauseum, but I'm still unsure.

An interesting thing to note is in the Flinn Scientific video, he said that if the tube between the two Chambers were 50ft long, the second one of the bulbs hits the ice water, due to condensation the other bulb instantly gets almost too cool to touch. Not because of its conduction of (cold?) through the glass but because of condensation!

The handboiker works when you hold it upright, there is a tube submerged in the alcohol and when this chamber is heated it increases the vapor pressure (right?) Inside of the lower chamber and this caused the liquid to be pushed up the tube into the cooler chamber.

This device is awesome because it models a closed-distillation, it's all glass and it's pretty!
It is a great way to get people inspired/thinking.

Any advice, recommendations ect?

IMG_20190909_173246658.jpg - 3.3MB IMG_20190909_173302515.jpg - 3.3MB

[Edited on 9/10/2019 by Yttrium2]

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 20:00
My advice is ... UTFSE

You should learn to do research of your own instead of repeatedly asking the forum any question that enters your head.

In this case, entering 'Hand Boiler' into a search engine such as google would have pointed you to the Wikipedia article
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_boiler

There you would have learned its history, mechanics, and the similarity to the 'Drinking Bird' toy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drinking_bird
where you get a list of suitable liquids for the toys,
consider why these liquids are specifically mentioned.
(look at the boiling points of the liquids mentioned.)

Your intellectual laziness will not help you to progress,
so next time you have a random question pop into your head ... UTFSE

Once you have done your own research, if there is a specific point that you do not understand, then ask a question.
Please think about your own questions before being so lazy, expecting others to decipher your disjointed thoughts.

Adding links to topics makes it easier for members to answer.

e.g. Try for youself to understand or at least guess why 50ft. was specifically mentioned ...

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 20:48

If anyone has anything useful they might add to the subject of closed system distillation, as opposed to a regular distillation in which pressure is vented out, feel free.

Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-9-2019 at 21:35
UTFSE

https://www.google.com/search?q=closed+system+distillation&a...

CAUTION : Hobby Chemist, not Professional or even Amateur
Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 10-9-2019 at 00:23

i have one hand boiler too. yup UTFSE
the liquid as a low boiling point, plus it is under vacuum, aka there's no air but only vapour from the liquid. pressure is dependent on the temperature, hot hand heats the liquid/vapor, pressure increases, the liquid is forced up the tube.
if you cool the bulb with only vapor, liquid condenses, the pressure decreases, boiling point of the liquid decreases, evaporation increases, evaporation is endothermic so the liquid cools because it needs energy from the system.
a pretty toy, but if you UTFSE you would see that all the answer are answered, there are also many videos on youtube about the toy and topic.
about adding info on a closed system distillation what do you want to hear? the difference from a normal standard pressure distillation?
if you put the system under vacuum the pressure of the system depends ond the vapor pressure of the liquid, that depends on the temperature, it resembles more a vacuum distillation than a simple distillation

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
teodor
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-9-2019 at 23:29

The problem with Google and other potential search engines utilizing the same kind of algorithms is not only that they clusters their users around the same things like wikipedia articles, YouTube and top cited blogs (probably we can see it as grouping interests of SM users around some particular chapters in chemistry), but also that they unable to open your door and say "hey, there are closed distillations systems, I had a fun with one of them" like Yttrium2 did. I didn't read what he wrote really, sorry for that, but one day may be I will think: "oh, I saw it before somewhere, possible it was Yttrium2 post, hey Google, what Yttrium2 and Sulaiman said about them". And then I will found your greate references, Sulaiman, because really Google can do a little without somebody put something somewere, like you, and then it will be Yttrium2 who will bind the information to some kind of emotions just to remember it.

So, the search process in the Internet is not the same as in a library. It is biased both by the search engine and the popular sites contest.

[Edited on 12-9-2019 by teodor]
Yttrium2

[*] posted on 13-9-2019 at 15:23

The drinking bird couldn't be figured out by Albert Einstein or engineering president Herbert hoover

Go To Top