Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Marketing fact check
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 14-3-2020 at 01:26
Marketing fact check

I am the sort of person that disassembles tools upon purchase to make sure all the claims on the packaging are legitimate. I recently purchased these and want to test the claims. My initial thought was to disolve them in acid and send them for commercial analysis, which I will do unless anyone has a more home lab option. As there are no claims on composition it is just a presence absence test. The platinum claim is my biggest interest. Does anyone have a good presence absence test for platinum? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

IMG_20200306_072729.jpg - 4.1MB
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-3-2020 at 06:37

As an aside, here's another vaguely labeled product. Like some products that say made with canola oil, sunflower oil, and/or cottonseed oil.

Printed near the bottom of this half gallon carton ...
"Blended with Valencia orange juice, from concentrate and not from concentrate."
https://www.reasors.com/shop/dairy/juice_and_drinks/orange/h...
josh1037
Harmless

[*] posted on 14-3-2020 at 07:11

p-nitrosodiphenylamine can be used as an indicator for platinum, palladium, and rhodium.

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/1951/an/an951...
B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2020 at 12:48

Quote: Originally posted by Morgan  
As an aside, here's another vaguely labeled product. Like some products that say made with canola oil, sunflower oil, and/or cottonseed oil.

"Blended with Valencia orange juice, from concentrate and not from concentrate."

Ha ha ha, there is a lot of '100%' in that label!
B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2020 at 13:06

Quote: Originally posted by josh1037  
p-nitrosodiphenylamine can be used as an indicator for platinum, palladium, and rhodium.

https://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/1951/an/an951...

Thanks, I actually have some NDPA. I will give that a go.
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-3-2020 at 14:27

I noticed the Derby blades use a polymer and these Treet blades use specifically Teflon as well as platinum and chromium like the Derby blades.

"A high quality double edge razor blade, this super stainless blade has a special edge treatment of platinum chromium and PTFE that enhances the durability, smoothness and sharpness of the blade, providing optimum shaving comfort and satisfaction."
https://www.amazon.com/Treet-Platinum-Stainless-Double-Blade...

At any rate there's a lot going on with the Derby blades - chromium, ceramic, platinum, tungsten, and polymer coated edges. It will be interesting to see if you can detect some scant amount of Pt in the edges.
B(a)P
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-3-2020 at 01:06

This afternoon I broke the cutting edge off one of the razors and performed the test as described in the paper provided by josh1037. I did not get any hint of purple or red on the paper. I am currently in a covid19 office ban, but when I am next in I will submit a sample for laboratory analysis and see what comes back.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-3-2020 at 04:34

glad some one is out there holding them to account of their claims! we need more like that, so much bs marketing, there needs to be a wave of people suing them over it befor it gets back to honest again.

Next we need to demand actual info on damned boxes! I don't give a crap about marketing give me info on the Fing product! Volts, Amps or Watts, some thing useful.
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2020 at 10:19

Quote: Originally posted by Morgan  

What's vague or confusing about that?
It's blended with Valencia orange juice from concentrate, and with Valencia orange juice not from concentrate.

Sure, it should say blended with Valencia orange juices from concentrate and not from concentrate, but copywriters aren't the sharpest tools in the drawer and seldom up to understanding the fine points of the use of countable and non-countable nouns in English.

Various monies have been allocated to the educational system to solve this problem, but educators aren't always the sharpest tools in the drawer either and they keep returning the monies because they think somebody is making fun of them by calling them, 'monies'.

As for the platinum, how sensitive is that test?
If I were going to put platinum on blades just for the bragging rights I'd sure use as little as I possibly could.
I might even go homeopathic: "treated with 60X homeopathic dilution of platinum."

Go To Top