[*] posted on 14-3-2020 at 19:02
People inadvertently making explosive disinfectants

Read the question on the second link.

post.png - 60kB
Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-3-2020 at 22:42

Should also add some lemon for the smell.
anti
Harmless

Mood: Mood: Mood:

[*] posted on 15-3-2020 at 00:06

WTF? How isn't that website taken down already?? And FREAKING ACETONE PEROXIDE drying on the skin? Wow...
Tsjerk
International Hazard

Mood: Mood

[*] posted on 15-3-2020 at 01:09

Without a strong acid catalysts nothing happens.
B(a)P
International Hazard

Mood: Festive

[*] posted on 15-3-2020 at 01:18

Quote: Originally posted by Sigmatropic  
Should also add some lemon for the smell.

Are you crazy! Hydrochloric acid catalyst produces a much more stable hand sanitizer.:D
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-3-2020 at 04:50

Well TATP will certainly protect them from the virus, and any and all other life problems! Life can't bother you when your not in it!

Like the people who think drinking bleach is a good thing, they are right, they just have the dosage wrong is all!

Frankly we been due for a gene pool chlorination, any one who cares to pay attention will have seen this coming, I sure did, 3 months of food reserves where all ways on hand (Old habit from growing up in far and remote area) but seeing how the world was acting was a mater of when, not if, same with another major depression, when, not if.

So be like the boy scouts peoples! Be Prepared! 3 Months of food is not hard to do now days and when you need it you will be thankful you have it! Job lose? economic collapse? pandemic? You got food, don't panic, pay attention and start planning for when that runs out.

By the time it runs out you aut to have gardens growing and a means to hunt in place if need be, do not hoard toilet paper lol!

and stick with good ol soap n water and do not touch the face till hands been washed! a balanced meal and plenty of sleep is all you need for your immune system to work well, don't waste money and farce treatments offered at a massive price! Stress and lack of sleep worst thing to your health.

[Edited on 15-3-2020 by XeonTheMGPony]
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2020 at 22:49

Quote: Originally posted by Tsjerk  
Without a strong acid catalysts nothing happens.

I think it still happens in the absence of catalyst just not very quickly.

Years from now I guess someone someplace could have a forgotten dried up old bottle that would be best not disturbed.

This virus thing sucks but on the bright side the world is going to discover we can all get by with a lot more vacation and leisure time.

The industrial and agricultural revolutions are old news, the 40 hour work week has been obsolete for decades.

Everything is going to be fine.

Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2020 at 03:47

I tried to make TATP with citric acid; doesn't work.
mackolol
Hazard to Others

Mood: Funky

[*] posted on 18-3-2020 at 14:36

Its good that they didn't mention additional HCl in this mix haha. This would be total killer
Bedlasky
International Hazard

Mood: Volatile

[*] posted on 18-3-2020 at 14:59

Quote: Originally posted by Pyro_cat  

This virus thing sucks but on the bright side the world is going to discover we can all get by with a lot more vacation and leisure time.

Really? Because I must going in to my job if I don't want get fired and starve to death.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2020 at 14:17

Quote: Originally posted by Bedlasky  

Really? Because I must going in to my job if I don't want get fired and starve to death.

Maybe they will stop this this dumbshit

Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2020 at 14:28

https://www.google.com/search?q=coronavirus+eviction

Also search coronavirus + utility bills

Evictions and utility cutoffs are being suspended till this crisis is over.

Very interesting, and scary time we are living in but I think things will be ok.

Me I keep my distance from people, hands off face, push doors open with my foot.

I think if any of us are going to be ok its us science nerds.
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-3-2020 at 21:30

Maybe they will stop this this dumbshit

Very informative. I knew I hated corn fuel for a reason.

zwt2
Harmless

Mood: CHoCoLaTe

[*] posted on 21-3-2020 at 22:12

Couple of problems with that...
The corn being used for ethanol generally isn't food-grade - it's a lower quality sort bred and processed for industrial applications.
There is a surplus of food in the United States (and most developed countries); people go hungry not due to a global food shortage, but due to logistics (getting the food to the people). Just like there's empty shelves in many grocery stores right now, despite there not being national or global shortages of food (or toilet paper).
Despite the use of corn for ethanol, there is still so much surplus corn in the corn-producing areas of North America that corn is burned directly for heat, being cheaper than other fuel sources.

Never trust infographics posted on this site.

[Edited on 22-3-2020 by zwt2]

"Since you belong to the small number of wise men... tell me, how do you occupy yourselves?"
Tsjerk
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2020 at 00:07

I once tried to eat that type of corn... I thought corn was disgusting for the next 15 years. It is grown in the Netherlands as food for cows. They don't even bother to separate the corn, they just throw everything in a grinder a feed it like that.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-3-2020 at 05:01

On Wednesday, the U.S. Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau announced that beverage distillers, through June 30, could make ethanol-based hand sanitizer. The Centers for Disease Control & Prevention has said effective hand sanitizer must contain at least 60% alcohol.

Nationally, about three-fourths of craft distillers surveyed by the American Distilling Institute, a trade group, said they were interested in making sanitizer to help health care workers, police and the general public, the New York Times reported.

https://www.southbendtribune.com/news/local/liquor-makers-in...

I still think some of that that ethanol going into the gasoline should be diverted immediately .

There is no shortage of ethanol and the gasoline will be fine with less of it.

Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-3-2020 at 05:07

I just read that over 14 billion gallons of ethanol are blended into the gasoline every year.
Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-3-2020 at 11:37

Exactly my thought, how can there be an ethanol shortage if we're blending it in fuel? Like, maybe it is denatured but I don't think any of the common denaturants (acetone, methanol, isopropanol, MEK, MIBK) are any problem at all. Although some denaturants might be a problem: denatonium benzoate, pyridine.
Pyro_cat
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2020 at 09:24

Bio science isnt really my thing. So maybe bathing in hand sanitizer is not the solution cause we could easily produce alot of it and its not happening.

Bio science is the most fascinating of all but I always shied away from it cause it kind of gave me a touch of hypochondria. Just washing hands makes sense and thats what I am doing.

I am going to head over to the biochemistry section of the forum, lets see what they are discussing.
Katie
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-4-2020 at 12:27

Except they are using very dilute forms of the chemicals used to make TATP and they are not going through the same procedures used to make TATP, so I don’t think much TATP will be produced and even if some was produced, it would be a very small amount in liquid suspension. Even if it dried on a surface on someone’s hands, the change of a injury causing detonation would likely be extremely unlikely.

That said, if someone were to go rogue and make their own version, it’s possible they would inadvertently produce a dangerous amount of TATP, like this person: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/16/bristol-universi...

But to be fair, a massive TATP explosion would probably kill Coronavirus!
andy1988
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-4-2020 at 06:28

On that U.S. corn-fuel topic, it isn't sustainable. The Ogallala Aquifer underlies 8 U.S. states which supplies much of the corn production, those farmers will have to switch to wheat from corn and soy, biomass yields will go down, and gasoline/petrol will become more expensive than diesel again (less lower cost ethanol to mix in to gasoline/petrol).

It is a problem documented in documented in youtube documentaries and articles such as this. I suppose it is a world wide problem, people drawing water from aquifers faster than they're replenished.

[Edited on 16-4-2020 by andy1988]

Go To Top