Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Stevens rearrangement
Boiledcabbages
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-3-2020 at 11:13
Stevens rearrangement

Hey guys, I don't post often but I just have a quick question about the Stevens rearrangement. Does it have to be a fully substituted quaternary ammonium ion? I.E. if you have R-CH2-NH2 and you react it with methyl bromide, can you perform a Stevens rearrangement on the quaternary ammonium salt formed to obtain R-CH(CH3)-NH2?
Sigmatropic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-3-2020 at 12:08

What are the exact conditions for the Steven's rrr? According to a cursory look (Wikipedia only) the 2nd step involves treatment with strong base to form a stabilized ylid. With non quatenary ammonium salts that would just lead to free basing of the amine.
clearly_not_atara
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Big

[*] posted on 19-3-2020 at 12:22

Yes, it must be fully substituted. Also, generally only benzyl or allyl groups migrate for some unclear reason. With benzyl groups, care is necessary to ensure selectivity over the competing Sommelet-Hauser rearrangement:

https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/jo00044a050

Quaternary amines bearing an allyl group and an alpha-ketoalkyl group are particularly good substrates for the Stevens rearrangement. However, the synthesis of these quats is not easy.

[Edited on 04-20-1969 by clearly_not_atara]
Boiledcabbages
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-3-2020 at 23:12

Ahh damm, ok thanks, I guess it makes sense that it has to be fully substituted as that probably allows for stabilization

Go To Top