Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Which brand is best? [glassware]
Heptylene
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2020 at 11:32

Schott-Duran all the way! Also Ilmabor and Lenz are good brands from germany. Never had problems with any of them.
I tend to buy my glassware new for components that are critical, like RBFs, beakers, condenser. Anything I never want to break on me during a synthesis.

For glassware I use rarely, I buy from deschem. They are ok quality, but the joints are not as good as Duran joints.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2021 at 06:11

So you say that Chemland glassware is good?

A flask that costs 25€ costs 50€ from China, and many other flasks are much cheaper as well. When something looks too cheap, I always suspect it.

The chinese flask measurement markings have been surprisingly accurate. I took a test with measuring cylinder and most were very close. The volume of the vessels can vary though, usually upwards, but this phenomenon seems to occur with brand too. Schott Duran 2L separator can take at least 2.5L.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 13-4-2021 at 06:27

Sep funnels are generally supposed to hold more than their declared volume, so that you still have room to shake. :)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2021 at 07:18

Well, that makes great sense. On the other hand, it seems that they could always be just a little bit bigger.

I'm again in the adapter business. Chemland has 29, 35 and 45 joints, while all Chinese go with 24. Only actual downside with them is that they increase device height.

For erlenmeyers, it seems that 45/40 joints can be good actually, because they allow better access to contents than a tiny 24* hole. I had to do a recrystallization of a chunky crunchy stuff and it was a job of it's own to make the pieces small enough to fit in. I still haven't learn to use beakers.
pneumatician
Hazard to Others

Mood: ■■■■■■■■■■ INRI ■■■■■■■■■■ ** Igne Natura Renovatur Integra **

[*] posted on 13-4-2021 at 08:24

Ilmabor are I think the "qlty control NOT passed" from Schott-Duran or some other big guy like this. I have some Ilmabor items and the "quality" is a joke. I have an erlemmeier with good appearance but if I look at the base it has most of its glass diameter much thinner!

Of course I never buy more from this brand. Simax is very good and hard. I love the labwareGlass "DDR" with his look "sting punk" :-)
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 15-4-2021 at 00:40

Fun, I seem to be the only one so far in this thread who had had an issue with Simax glassware. Two flasks has air inclusions in the glass, and so I lost my trust in Simax's quality. I still buy it though, or price reasons, but prefer Duran Schott (or old Jenaer).
Fyndium
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-4-2021 at 01:24

My Simax flask also has air bubble in the bottom.

My Schott Duran flask - at least one of them - has air bubble included as well.

So I see that air bubbles, at least in singular occurrences, do not cause flask QC fail.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top