Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Basic Iron Acetate, methods?
mrzwing
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 02:17
Basic Iron Acetate, methods?

Hello

Have recently hade a bred for Iron acetate My Guess is (III) sur to the Brown/orange color of it.
Looked around and it seems to be quite expencive.
Therefore i Wonder what method is best to make it att home.

The classic seems to be Iron wool acedic acid and H2O2.
But some placera mention using Iron oxides instead for Iron.

Any tips how to make this with decent purity?
Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 14-5-2020 at 14:06

Haven’t done this but an idea: In Australia iron sulphate is available at garden centers (Bunnings). And calcium acetate food grade is available on eBay. If you mix appropriate concentrations of these solutions you should get a double displacement reaction with insoluble calcium sulfate slowly settling out and iron acetate staying in solution. Filter and evaporate the filtrate if you want the iron acetate in solid form.
ThoughtsIControl
Hazard to Self

Mood: Yin over yang

[*] posted on 19-5-2020 at 16:54

"The classic seems to be Iron wool acedic acid and H2O2.
But some placera mention using Iron oxides instead for Iron."

Steel wool has the chemical formula of Fe2O3. This iron oxide will turn into iron acetate after dropping the steel wool into vinegar (acetic acid). Hydrogen peroxide and steel wool will give you a product of iron hydroxide.. So, if you're looking for iron acetate. Simply dissolve the steel wool into vinegar and then BAM! Iron (II or III) Acetate.

Hope this helps!
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-5-2020 at 05:35

Quote: Originally posted by mrzwing  
Hello

Have recently hade a bred for Iron acetate My Guess is (III) sur to the Brown/orange color of it.
Looked around and it seems to be quite expencive.
Therefore i Wonder what method is best to make it att home.

The classic seems to be Iron wool acedic acid and H2O2.
But some placera mention using Iron oxides instead for Iron.

Any tips how to make this with decent purity?

IDK if you are still looking for answers but I tried doing this about a year ago using vinegar and some nails and just let them sit exposed to air for over a year. It made what looked a lot like rust but once in a while I'd add new vinegar and once I added some H2O2 and it turned a pink/purple - it looked a lot like a black raspberry ice cream color. It slowly goes back to the brown color over a number of days. I'd be interested in what it would look like if I dried it when it was still the purple/pink color, if it would turn the brown color as it dried out and if this pink color is because an excess of O2 in the mix.

I'm also interested in what you are looking to use this for. From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be a lot of uses for it and I'm wondering what it would produce upon decomposition, if it would just produce acetic acid or possibly acetic anhydride, which would be very interesting!!
Lion850
National Hazard

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 6-6-2020 at 13:47

I tried to make iron ii acetate by doing a double displacement reaction between iron ii sulphate monohydrate (sold in Australia as fertiliser) and calcium acetate (food grade, from eBay). I indeed got a dirty green supernatant liquid and white calcium sulphate ppt. However the green liquid turned brown at a reasonable rate, even during gravity filtering it got browner and brown ppt formed. I assumed it was reacting with the oxygen in the air to form iron iii basic acetate, and left it with air bubbling through for 48hrs to progress the change.
The solution with dark ppt was then dried on a steam bath. It quickly dried to a sticky paste but then took many hours to become fully dry. The final product is a darkish brown powder. When shaken with water it gives a very pale brown color but most do not dissolve. With concentrated hydrochloric acid it dissolved quickly with a yellow-brown solution. Similar color with dilute hydrochloric acid but also a very faint hint of green, which may mean there is still some iron ii left.

Go To Top