Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: successful method for purifying anthranilic acid(quick report)
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-4-2021 at 02:08

Last question:. Is this recrystallisation problem route specific or common to all anthranillic acid synthesis?
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-4-2021 at 08:47

Quote: Originally posted by draculic acid69  
Last question:. Is this recrystallisation problem route specific or common to all anthranillic acid synthesis?

Well if the theory is right that it's the recrystallization that turns it brown, then it wouldn't really matter how you get there.

mr_bovinejony posted a thread on making anthranilic acid starting from methyl anthranilate, and while in his original post he comments that it was almost pure white, he eventually posted some photos that showed it turned brown - He too used water, if I'm not mistaken.

Last night I was making some anthranilic acid to test this theory, as usually when I make it it comes out a very nice off-white in its crude state. But I got a little impatient as it was getting late, and it went from light beige to brown right before my eyes >_< Dangit. I'll try again, but on a smaller scale, and I will report my findings - Promise!

[Edited on 21-4-2021 by SuperOxide]
SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2021 at 18:41

I just finished processing 20g of phthalimide into crude anthranilic acid to test if it maintains its off-white color if I keep it away from H2O during a recryst. The crude product isn't as white as the previous run I showed a picture of above, which is disappointing... but it'll do for just testing this theory.

Here's some photos: https://imgur.com/a/nMVvEta

Usually I would just dump it right into some distilled water for the recryst, but since I'm trying to keep water away, I'm going to let it dry out in my ghetto desiccation chamber under a light vacuum.

Will give updates after recryst or if something bombs before then.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top