Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: how to get copper(II)chlorate out of solution without it decomposing.
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Mood: Became chemistry catboy Vtuber Nyaa

[*] posted on 10-7-2020 at 12:26
how to get copper(II)chlorate out of solution without it decomposing.

I prepaired some copper chlorate probably impure with some NaClO3 also in solution using porous pot electrolysis with copper anode and NaClO3 electrolyte.
I then got a wonderful blue solution which I heated to 50 celsius carefully checking temp also but then once I saw it get really blue I wanted to test it with a hair dryer from 1.5 feet away and the small sample turned yellow and stank of chlorine then turned brown.
I wanna know if my hair dryer was just too hot or if its even possible to keep simmering this at 50 celsius to dryness without it decomposing.
Some feedback will be well appreciated.

[Edited on 10-7-2020 by mysteriusbhoice]

C chlorate.jpg - 3MB
Belowzero
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-7-2020 at 14:01

Perhaps boring and slow but how about using an exccicator.

Evaporation under vaccuum or keep it in a warm place just warm enough to slowly evaporate the water.

I don't know about the solubility in alcohol but that could work too , add ethanol and evaporate, the evaporation of the alcohol will pull water with it.

[Edited on 10-7-2020 by Belowzero]
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Mood: Became chemistry catboy Vtuber Nyaa

[*] posted on 10-7-2020 at 22:11

i would need a dessicator to make it crystalize out i guess im keeping this solution for now.
I also would like to know the stability of copper perchlorate vs copper chlorate solutions so I can find a way to seperate chlorate and perchlorate using that method by heating thus decomposing the chlorate before bubbling ammonia through the solution.

Go To Top