Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Lake pigments
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-7-2020 at 06:11
Lake pigments

I was watching a video about making a pomegranate based lake pigment.

https://youtu.be/BqlmghM1CCY

I have some food grade alum I bought in the bulk spice section, and baking soda I can turn into sodium carbonate. If I could manage to make a pigment from say boiled cranberries (no sugar added), would the pigment be food safe, or would the alum and sodium carbonate mixture form a new toxic compound?
Arcaeca
Hazard to Self

Mood: brøthér, can you spare some B̲̺̹̙̑́̓́ͧ̎ͭ̈́͜L̰̦̼̻͈͖̺͔̇̇̿ͪ̓̃̽ͦŲ̘̲̻͔̀͌͑͑̊͛̑̀͊̕E̐ͮͯ͆̔̾͘͏҉̥̫

[*] posted on 5-8-2020 at 19:48

While I doubt it would be toxic, I also doubt it would work at all. What some of the more famous red lake pigments like carmine and madder lake (alizarin crimson) have in commoj is that they're aluminum carboxylate salts formed by first neutralizing some carboxylic acid - like carminic acid or alizarin - with a base and then precipitating it out with a double-displacement using alum. Thing is though, cranberries get their colors from assorted anthocyanins, few to none of which have carboxylic acid moieties. In fact, I know from experience that adding base causes flavanoids like anthocyanins to de-annulate to form assorted chalcones, which tend to be yellow-ish, so you wouldn't even be able to preserve the cranberry red color.
Syn the Sizer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2020 at 23:38

I have the same feeling about the toxicity, but put the question out anyway.

I am not super familiar with lake pigments so don't know a whole lot. So it sounds from what you said red lake pigments aren't straight forward and easy to make. However the pomegranate pigment made in the video should be edible. The Ultimate question is how much would it taken to dye food products and gross flavour would it impart on the on the food. I was just thinking of food dyes after watching the video. I wasn't necessarily looking for a red dye just more curious.

Go To Top