Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: OTC deep bed gravity microfiltration with minimal pressure drop
mysteriusbhoice
Hazard to Others

Mood: Became chemistry catboy Vtuber Nyaa

[*] posted on 2-9-2020 at 09:55
OTC deep bed gravity microfiltration with minimal pressure drop

https://youtu.be/NXCHw21RGEo
The superabsorbent "scotch brite pad" allows for 2 actions to occur minimizing pressure drop when doing gravity microfiltration.
1. the superabsorbent nature pulls in the water and due to its shape it collects at the bottom thus dripping down thus allowing for great filtration rate even if the filter gets clogged.
2. the effect of multiple layers leading to deep bed filtration also reduces pressure drop thus allowing for decent filtration rate.

This product overall allows you to gain access to a cheap way to perform microfiltration without spending a lot.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 26-7-2022 at 03:03

I found that most decent quality N95 masks do a similar good job in filtration,they can also break emulsions.

Irgendwas is ja immer
VeritasC&E
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-7-2022 at 06:16

Quote: Originally posted by Organikum  
I found that most decent quality N95 masks do a similar good job in filtration,they can also break emulsions.

Do you know what they are made of? is it cellulose? or synthetic fibers? and it what conditions it may contaminate the solvent? They are fairly cheap to get by. I've also wondered about the possibility of using those filters* used to take out microparticles in air (like in vacuum cleaners, or car habitacle air circulation systems, or clean room / lab air filtration systems), but I always figured they probably wouldn't do well / be compatible with solvents for some reason (feared they would be either hydrophobic or have too small pores or that they might be contaminating to the solvent; but hey, fear is the enemy if progress!).

*HEPA Filters

[Edited on 26-7-2022 by VeritasC&E]
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 26-7-2022 at 08:35

N95 masks are made of polypropylene fibers. Should be resistant to most chemicals.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
VeritasC&E
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-7-2022 at 14:49

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
N95 masks are made of polypropylene fibers. Should be resistant to most chemicals.

Thank you for the information! This may save some money in many situations. It also has a fairly large surface area so I guess they may allow for reasonably fast filtration in relation to their small "pore size", plus they are probably more solid than most lab filters. Best used under 40C I would guess.
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-10-2022 at 11:47

I have seen many videos and post regarding cells, membranes and similar from you mysteriusbhoice.
Just wanted to let you know its always interesting and informative, keep the good work going, its appreciated.
Gammatron
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-10-2022 at 12:20

I have found microfiber cloths to work exceptionally well for large volumes. Just stretch it over a bucket with clamps rather than using a funnel. Filters extremely small particles at a decent rate, I use them for separating clay particles from solution when processing ores.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
30-11-2023 at 10:48

Go To Top