Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: pH probe - US standard plugs, and spiral reference electrode help
GammaFunction
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2021 at 12:24
pH probe - US standard plugs, and spiral reference electrode help

I got an almost-free Orion pH electrode, stored dry (bad). It is a double-junction probe with the reference electrode in a glass spiral, in its own gel, at the top of a glass spiral. Typically quite expensive.

Currently the probe is showing just a few mV in vinegar. But the 10 MΩ input impedance of my DVM is probably not enough for the typical 400MΩ impedance of the probe circuit, so I might need to make a high impedance pre-amp (or buy a cheap old probeless meter), or try a null detector circuit.

Some sites suggest you can revive dried out probes. I'll start soaking the outside in mildly acidic 3M KCl soon, the recommended storage solution.

I have 2 questions:

1. what is the purpose of the 2nd little plug in the legacy "US Standard" plug style? Some probes don't have this. There's almost no info on the US plug style. How is this probe wired? A BNC probe just has the primary and reference electrode in series.
  2. The white-ish gel (?) in the glass spiral leading to the reference electrode is broken in spots, from drying out. The gel is behind a porous glass (?) plug. I'm soaking the inside with distilled water in the belief that the KCl is still present in the gel, so it might swell back up to the right concentration when water enters the plug and makes its way up . Is there any hope of rescuing a probe once the gel of the reference electrode has dried out?

probe.jpg - 155kB

Go To Top